Don't have an account? Create one!

Siblings/Better With Or Without?

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 22nd, 2008 at 09:26pm
Radio Saturday:

I'm the oldest kid in my family (two younger sisters). Actually, I'm much more sheltered than them in many ways -- they got to do a lot of things that I had to fight to do without even a comment from my parents, whereas everything I wanted to do (like, for example, watch R-rated movies) I had to fight tooth and nail to be allowed to do.

Basically, older kids, especially oldest kids, tend to get a lot of attention. This can be cool, like when your parents listen to you more on important family decisions, but it can also be a pain in the ass, like with the movie watching thing.

No matter where you are in the family, there's going to be compromises and annoyances. But there's also good stuff. And much as my younger sisters annoy me -- contrary to the stereotype, they dislike almost everything I love and rarely enjoy doing the things I find really fun -- I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Really? I'd say I get the most attention (good attention) in my family, and I'm the youngest but that's probably because I'm the only girl.
My parents also listen to me on important decisions too.
I wouldn't trade my eldest brother for anything, but the other one...I don't know I just might. I don't get along with him at all, mostly because he's a huge jerk to everyone. Plus he makes life really hard because he's always getting in so much trouble.
I'd say it all depends on how you're raised and your environment, just generally what kind of people you and your siblings are.
bat1984
Bleeding on the Floor
bat1984
July 23rd, 2008 at 08:14am
I'm the oldest of two children I don't see my brother much I wish we had more of a bond but thats life
temptation.
Shotgun Sinner
temptation.
July 23rd, 2008 at 08:18am
I am the only child in my family and it's great sometimes cause my dad always pays attencion to me ONLY,but sometimes I also feel lonely
mcrgirl155246
Killjoy
mcrgirl155246
July 23rd, 2008 at 05:24pm
I have two younger brothers,every day like a war and sometimes i wish they wasn't there but then when i'm upset they seem to cheer me up...so they're not all bad i suppose
queenfreddiemercury
Bleeding on the Floor
queenfreddiemercury
July 23rd, 2008 at 06:52pm
I have one sister and one brother and I would not have it any other way
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 23rd, 2008 at 06:54pm
queenfreddiemercury:
I have one sister and one brother and I would not have it any other way

Yeah but why?

What are the good points and bad points?can you imagine life without your siblings?

expand a little : )
Rage and Love
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Rage and Love
July 23rd, 2008 at 07:44pm
I actually think that people without siblings are at a great disadvantage. I personally cannot imagine life without my two older brothers. Even though since they moved out, I've been closer to an only child, I don't like it. I get all the attention from my mom, which is irritating when I want privacy, or just to be left alone. In addition, if a family is going through something (e.g. parents are fighting or divorcing) siblings are there for each other, and make each other feel less alone. They kind of have the same position in the family, and it is nice to not be alone. Also, siblings are usually close in age, and they're always there even if someone's friends let them down. Basically, I'm glad I have brothers, they had mostly positive effects on my childhood.
tiny-t
Killjoy
tiny-t
July 24th, 2008 at 08:36am
your mum gives you attention now you bros have moved out. my big sis hasn't gone anywhere yet my mum is always coming in my room trying to talk to me. i geuss its cause she don't wont me to grow up.

i think your mum might be doing the same thing cause your the youngest, she don't wont you to go off and leave her.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 24th, 2008 at 10:20pm
^I agree with that, although I can't say for sure, because I'm the oldest in my family.
As for being there, friends could do that also, and I think they would typically be closer in age than siblings-I have several friends who have siblings 12 or so years apart; my own is 6 years younger.
River Rat
Jazz Hands
River Rat
July 24th, 2008 at 10:46pm
I have a younger brother; 6 years difference. I love him a lot, but he does get on my nerves quite a bit. Sometimes I wish that I was a younger sibling because he gets away with a lot of things that he shouldn't (though I might have a different opinion if I were a younger sibling).

Maybe having a younger sibling can teach you how to share things with other people (especially if you have to share a room), teach you responsibility if it's a younger sibling, and possibly have more patience.

I would definately be a completely different person if I did not have a brother.
Rage and Love
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Rage and Love
July 24th, 2008 at 10:55pm
I shouldn't have said that; my own brothers are 11 and 14 years older than me. But still, you feel like you're on the same level as opposed to your parents. And with friends, as close asyou may be to someone ,most friends come and go. But siblings are a lways there. I don't know, I just can't imagine living life without my brothers, and I think it's an advantage to have siblings.
operation paperclip.
Killjoy
operation paperclip.
July 25th, 2008 at 06:53am
I'm an only child and I can't say that it's better than having siblings, but I do think that it's good for me. Getting more attention from my parents (while sometimes it can be a drag) pushes me to do better in school and helps to make sure that I'm always headed on the right course. When I was younger, I would beg for a sibling because I would get extremely lonely, but now that I've gotten older, I've learned to enjoy being by myself most of the time. Still, I don't know what it's like to have any siblings so I can't really compare the two, but that's just my two cents.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
July 25th, 2008 at 07:03am
i have an older brother and i had to fight for evrything i wanted, even going out with friends. thats because my brother was much more content as a child, he would of been happy to continue only watching M rated movies past the age of 15 (i live in australia btw, so im not sure of the rating overseas). whereas i wantedto watch MA movise and go out with friends. it depends on each particular case.
as for the relationship between siblings, i dont think that (in most cases) having a sibling to get along with is particularily gud until u each are older. i didnt get along with my brother until he turned 17 and most of friends say the same.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 25th, 2008 at 05:36pm
If we don't start saying more than "I'm an only child/have siblings and like it/dislike it," this topic is history.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 25th, 2008 at 06:36pm
The New Science of Siblings, a Times article about siblings, and how they shape the people we become.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 25th, 2008 at 06:45pm
Chris Martin:
If we don't start saying more than "I'm an only child/have siblings and like it/dislike it," this topic is history.

I vote it be locked. It's not really much of a discussion. I mean, all you can say is "Yes, it is better." or "No, it's not better."
SisterOfTheRose
Jazz Hands
SisterOfTheRose
July 26th, 2008 at 06:45am
I wouldn't be the person I am today without my big sister. My family is not without its problems but my sister and I have always been close. She's taught me so many things. She was the first person who taught me to read and write and now I'm forever with my nose inside a book and it's one of my dreams to publish one. It was even her that got me into music and although we have completely different tastes and styles, I wouldn't change her for the world.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
July 28th, 2008 at 03:40am
Rage and Love:
I actually think that people without siblings are at a great disadvantage. I personally cannot imagine life without my two older brothers. Even though since they moved out, I've been closer to an only child, I don't like it. I get all the attention from my mom, which is irritating when I want privacy, or just to be left alone. In addition, if a family is going through something (e.g. parents are fighting or divorcing) siblings are there for each other, and make each other feel less alone. They kind of have the same position in the family, and it is nice to not be alone. Also, siblings are usually close in age, and they're always there even if someone's friends let them down. Basically, I'm glad I have brothers, they had mostly positive effects on my childhood.

I don't agree that only children are 'disadvantaged' as such, but I get what you mean. I really dislike being an only child a lot of the time. I get lonely and I'd really love to have a brother/sister to confide in. I think it would be great!
Sure, being an only child has it's good points, as I've said before in this thread, but I totally get what you mean.

And with the locking, I don't think it should be locked. It's still something that can be discussed and I think it's good that this thread is here. It's interesting to read what people have to say.
TheWackyShack
Killjoy
TheWackyShack
August 1st, 2008 at 08:04pm
I have no siblings and it gets VERY boring. So yes I would like siblings because well when I get bored... I do weird things
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 2nd, 2008 at 02:24pm
I have one sister, but the thing is she is what people call beautiful, she has long white blonde hair, blue eyes and a great tan. when she was little, she would be sitting in the cart seat and I'd be walking along the cart, we would get stopped constantly cause people would come up and look at her, and no one would pay attention to me.

Like that still happenes to this day, and since we live next to the mexican boarder, theres not alot of white people here and we get stopped even more because of that.

She has had a very sheltered life and has gotten everything she wants, and now she is a huge brat. She is so spioled, and over everything she pisses and moans, or like we'll be going over to my moms friends house or something and Dani doesn't get enough attention in the car, "we are never doing that agian, it was awful" and she'll carry on for along time.

Also she was never disiplined really, I was spanked over everything (I'm the oldest and much more grounded then her, by a very long shot) her life has been a dream, my life has not been a fraction as good as hers. Yet she still claims that i'm this evil monster (I was the only person for along time that stated the truth, she was a spioled brat) and she has begged my mom if she can kill me.

so in my experience, siblings haven't been to great