Teenagers

AuthorMessage
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 24th, 2009 at 12:59pm
tabitha:
ClaireBear016:
and want to do things like get drunk - (which is probably gunna make them alcoholics when their older!) and then theres more serious things like suicide and self harm... you dont see adults doing that!! i think the pressure is getting to much for teens and that adults need to help... they (as they say) have gone through the same after all...

Adults *do* look for escapes from the pressures of their lives. Adults *do* self-harm and commit suicide. Have you read the news lately? As the economy gets worse more and more adults are not only killing themselves but taking their children with them. Where I live there was a tragedy a few days ago, an adult woman, in her 40s, on a gun range, shot her 20 year old son in the back of the head and then put the gun in her own mouth. And that's just this week. Around Christmas a child in my program lost her father because he felt he was a failure and decided to hang himself rather than get help. Adults many of the same problems teens do, but they also have to contend with jobs, social pressure, and raising children. Part of what defines an adult, other than age, is the ability to handle stress, problems, and outside pressures; but some adults can't which is why they turn to drugs, alcohol, and other harmful activities.

Yes okay, but you hear more about teens drinking and shizz more than adults.. but thats not the point lol... i think every adult went through what teens do now yet so many adults think of teens as violent etc and dont want them around... yet they were once one of them, i dont get that
Romantica.
Killjoy
Romantica.
April 28th, 2009 at 01:39pm
Your teenage years is the hardest.
There are many things that you don't understand about life but you think
you know. Your parents simply don't understand what happens in school
or whatever you go through. They always compare their time to now. So,
you're always butting heads with your parents,not comprehending.

All the sterotypes in school. The bullying. Drugs,sex and drinking. Many teen-
agers do that,thinking it's cool. They fall under the influence. Or sometimes
they just do it because they try to escape from pain.

Teenage girls,with all the pretty skinny models out there,they can't help
but glance themselfs in the mirrors and want to be just like them .
They stop at no cost to be pretty and skinny,which lowers their self esteem.
I should know,I am recovering from an eating disorder,and we can't blame
the teenage girls that want to be skinny. It's the media. Talking how Skinny
is perfect.

Then,your parents expect too much from you. You feel pressured to be
the perfect kid. Which causes rebelion. You don't want to be the perfect
kid. You want you be you. You don't want to be exactly like your parents.
You want to be what you want to be. Which also causes from some parents
not liking the way their teenager dresses,you go against their wish saying
that you're not a child anymore.

And much more a teenager has to go through.
So,yes. Teenage years are hard.
But also fun. Because you're only a teen for seven years [13-19]
And they will go quick,until you become an adult.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 28th, 2009 at 01:47pm
hate to break it to you but every problem you mentioned there is exactly the same when you're an adult. They don't just go away and regardless of how it might seem, adults are just as clueless.

Add to that work pressure, responsibility, parenting issues of your own etc.
Romantica.
Killjoy
Romantica.
April 28th, 2009 at 02:02pm
Oh, I know there will be problems when you are an adult.
It's not like once you hit 20 all the problems go away.
I know that.

Life gets harder.
You get married,wife or husband,kids.
But most Teens run away from problems.
But once you're an adult,you can't run from the problems.
You're family needs you and you can't run from them.
You realize that you need to stand up for your problems
and stop hiding from them. To stand up and be an adult.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 28th, 2009 at 02:45pm
you'd be amazed how many adults run away from their responsibilities.
famouslastwordsxoxo
Killjoy
famouslastwordsxoxo
April 28th, 2009 at 03:54pm
Being a teenager is way too hard. I wish I could quit. So whatever
Romantica.
Killjoy
Romantica.
April 29th, 2009 at 07:59pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
you'd be amazed how many adults run away from their responsibilities.

Oh,I should know.
My father was one of them.
He also drank his problems away.
One day he just left.

But,if you really want to be responsible and not run away
from problems,then it would be hard.
Atleast when you're an adult,living on your own,you
don't have to deal with ignorant parents.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
May 4th, 2009 at 12:20pm
Corrupted Dreams.:
Darkromance:
yep. they tell you you can work at 14, but really, who's gonna hire a 14 year old? especially if you are a smaller girl who looks a bit younger. And then you aren't really free. You are but you aren't. Like we have alota free time, but we have little or no money to do things and make use of that time. Plus, it sucks even more if your parents won't buy you certain things, like a computer and CDs. It just gets a whole lot boring. Boring=depressing

While I can acknowledge where you're coming from, [and I thought the same way when I was 14], saying those kind of things are the things that make our generation's lives harder isn't true. Our generation and the previous generation both have had a lot of life-altering problems, but not getting a computer and CDs are hardly on top. Drugs, pregnancy, alchohol, cutting, STDs and AIDs, these are all problems that our generation and the previous ones have experienced. You're pretty lucky to have a roof over your head, food in your mouth, etc. I know it sounds like I'm preaching at you/to you, but you need to understand that 'being bored' is much better than 'being in the streets'. Please don't take this as a personal attack, I'm just trying to explain a point to you.

You are right. I've come to realize this a while ago. I do realize that I do have it good to have all the necessities, and I am thankful of that. The fact that others don't is angering. But I was just saying that the teen years can be a bit depressing if you don't have any money to do or get anything, and if you don't have something like a computer to mess around with and learn from. It feels like having all of the possibilties right in front of you, but not having the ability to access them. (plus it's a pain in the butt having schoolwork that involves using a computer and not having time at home to chill and just look through what you've got).

And honestly, to put any serious goal or plan or hobby into progress, you need things, and if you don't have things then you need money to buy them. That's a fact. But if you can't get things then you go nowhere with your plans.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 4th, 2009 at 10:51pm
"but you need to understand that 'being bored' is much better than 'being in the streets"

......................................................................................................................

Yes most teens now have a roof over their head, and food on the table... but now most teens have that... but it doesn't make us more happy... there are worst things now in the world to go through.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
May 5th, 2009 at 03:17pm
I'm just saying that it just kinda feels like a slap in the face when you've got all that time ( all of that free,limited time being a teen) on your hands, but you can't do anything much useful with it. Sitting by and watching time pass really feels depressingly counterproductive. And some parents are ignorant (uptight and closed minded), and think they know what's "normal",but they don't really realize how it is to be a teen, or if they do they were (and still are) different kinds of people, so they don't understand. Or they think they know everything because they're "experienced", so they don't try to look at it in another way.

Like a much older person told me, "the teen years are for collecting stuff and doing stuff, and that's the basis for what you might do in the future"
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
May 8th, 2009 at 04:57am
id much rather be on the streets that in my house.

depending on what goes on at home depends on how often your out.

not all teenagers are bad and cause trouble.
its the onse that do that make the parents and old nanners think that we am all bad.

then we dont tend to go out coz of the labels we get form the comunity
and not having alot to do at home makes you bored.
then you get depressed.

and that sucks =/
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
May 8th, 2009 at 12:18pm
BOINGage-MCRmy:

its the onse that do that make the parents and old nanners think that we am all bad.

then you get depressed.

and that sucks =/

I agree!
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 12:41pm
BOINGage-MCRmy:

then you get depressed.

and that sucks =/

Yeah i completely argee to!
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 8th, 2009 at 12:47pm
The Discussion Forum Rules:

11. "I agree" or "I like <insert topic here>" isn't enough. Elaborate your opinion please.

Thanks.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
May 8th, 2009 at 09:08pm
I don't actually think being a teenager is that bad in ~normal circumstances.
I mean, i understand when the home is horrible, and there can be circumstances in which it is not an option to live in the home, but i think that in general being a teenager is pretty easy.

I mean, think of it this way.
We have a bed to sleep in, food provided, and basically no responsiblity.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
May 11th, 2009 at 03:33pm
too much time of being bored and depressed can drive a person crazy, and with some people it can change them or make them kill the time by doing things they shouldn't be doing. SO even if a kid had a house over his/her head, boredom can be lethal....seriously.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 11th, 2009 at 03:55pm
Darkromance:
too much time of being bored and depressed can drive a person crazy, and with some people it can change them or make them kill the time by doing things they shouldn't be doing. SO even if a kid had a house over his/her head, boredom can be lethal....seriously.

But that isn't to do with being a teenager, thats a universal problem.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 11th, 2009 at 04:58pm
^ It's true that it's a universal problem, but I think it pertains to teenagers especially since, in general, more than any other age group, they have plenty of time on their hands but no real way (or at least a feeling) that they can spend it because they don't have cars, money, etc.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 11th, 2009 at 05:22pm
so why do so many adults end up with drink problems, gambling addictions etc for example?

The point I am trying to make is always the same, teenagers may well have it tough, but so do adults. My life got no easy as an adult from when I was a teen, in fact have been faced with more personal problems, more feelings of isolation, more prejudice as an adult than I ever did as a teen.

I am probably more confused and bewildered with life now than I have ever been.
Kailey_kills
Killjoy
Kailey_kills
May 12th, 2009 at 06:57pm
i think its hard.im sad n depressed but music makes me feel better n gives me reason 2 keep living.this is y i love MCR.i try not 2 care wat others think but i do sumtimes.