Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenagers

AuthorMessage
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 09:16am
Tallulah; Schechter:
so why do so many adults end up with drink problems, gambling addictions etc for example?

i think of it this way... take adults who are alcoholics... most from what i've seen start drinking in their teens. and then become alcoholics later in life. maybe if they didnt drink in their teens they wouldnt be alcoholics... but im not saying its always like that.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 17th, 2009 at 01:09pm
ClaireBear016:

i think of it this way... take adults who are alcoholics... most from what i've seen start drinking in their teens. and then become alcoholics later in life. maybe if they didnt drink in their teens they wouldnt be alcoholics... but im not saying its always like that.

That makes sense. I remember reading somewhere that the vast majority of tobacco users started before they turned 18, and it's probably the same for alcoholics as well.
Personally, I think when someone has already been introduced to alcohol, and it makes them feel better, when you add the extra stress an adult is often under compared to a teenager, that's how they start drinking more and more.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 03:43pm
questionable content:
ClaireBear016:

That makes sense. I remember reading somewhere that the vast majority of tobacco users started before they turned 18, and it's probably the same for alcoholics as well.
Personally, I think when someone has already been introduced to alcohol, and it makes them feel better, when you add the extra stress an adult is often under compared to a teenager, that's how they start drinking more and more.

Yeah exactly... what usually happens is teens that do drink often, when they hit the legal age to buy alcohol they go over board as they can get as much as they want. And thats just the time they become adults
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 17th, 2009 at 04:24pm
That's a very naive view on why people become alcoholics.

Have you ever looked into the story of the footballer George Best's mother? She was tee-total until she was in her mid 40's. She started drinking then and died of drinking related illness within 10 years. Her downfall was nothing whatsoever to do with drinking as a teenager.

Alcoholism comes in many shapes and forms and is not always connected to teenage drinking.

Besides... this is a whole different issue.....
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 05:56pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
That's a very naive view on why people become alcoholics.

Have you ever looked into the story of the footballer George Best's mother? She was tee-total until she was in her mid 40's. She started drinking then and died of drinking related illness within 10 years. Her downfall was nothing whatsoever to do with drinking as a teenager.

Alcoholism comes in many shapes and forms and is not always connected to teenage drinking.

Besides... this is a whole different issue.....

i know, i never said that all alcoholism is from drinking in teen years...but it surely doesnt help
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 17th, 2009 at 06:18pm
"what usually happens" ~ That was what you said. I never said that you were refering to all alcoholics, I merely said your view point was naive.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 19th, 2009 at 11:30am
Tallulah; Schechter:
"what usually happens" ~ That was what you said. I never said that you were refering to all alcoholics, I merely said your view point was naive.

well okay but what im sayin is teens who drink in their teens are more likely to drink more in adulthood... but i know that its not always the case
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 19th, 2009 at 01:23pm
where is your proof? Are there any studies you can refer to that back up your views on teenage drinking and the influence it has on later life.

This is going wildly off topic, the original point I was making was that adults have just as many issues as teenagers do.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 21st, 2009 at 07:20am
ClaireBear016:
well okay but what im sayin is teens who drink in their teens are more likely to drink more in adulthood... but i know that its not always the case

I'm probably not helping the matter much here, Lulah, and I apologize for that, but I would actually have to say that the majority of adult drinkers that I know, the more they drank as teens, the less they drank as adults. If alcohol is never seen as a "taboo" or "adult" thing, people are less likely to care. Most people, teens especially, drink specifically *because* they are forbidden to do so. The appeal quickly fades after you turn 21 and it's no longer illegal.

I don't have any concrete evidence to back this up, other than to say that of all my college-graduated friends (and even those who may have gone to college but didn't finish) almost all of us binge drank as late teens/early 20s in college, and now are much more responsible drinkers in our late 20s on, I have friends who are in their 50s and 60s who would group themselves under that. Just because you drink heavily as a teen, it doesn't mean you will always do so; and many people who rarely drank as teens turn to alcohol in times of adult stress if they've never done it before.
Queen Obscene
Always Born a Crime
Queen Obscene
May 21st, 2009 at 02:54pm
Teenagers are the future, I know it sounds weird, but it's true after all. Sometimes parents and... other old people give teenagers too little respect.
mychemicalvalentine
Killjoy
mychemicalvalentine
May 24th, 2009 at 04:02am
Xiao Mao.:
I think teenagers these days are way to judgemental and steriotypical
every one in my school has a steriotype
and every one has their little clique, and no one steps out of that little clique
no one even tries to get to know other people anymore
they go by what they thinks they know
it's terribly annoying
but ignoring it has become increasingly easy
just don't let them get to you

It's a bit hard to not let them get to you sometimes though. Yes, we are judgmental and stereotypical. But that's who we are, isn't it? At my school, there are the preps and jocks, the "normal" people, the nerds, but surprisingly no "emos", sadly. There are people who borderline it, but don't wear heavy make-up or anything.

It is true that no one gets to know other people anymore. I always thought that was a good thing. I actually hate making new friends. I don't even have that many, but I hate being outgoing and trying. I've learned over time that making friends with new people is bullshit for me. I can never be the friend the person wants, and if I can't, then I won't have friends at all. Even if means being alone. I can't trust myself not to break down if I lose a friend, so I seclude myself.

Yes, wearing my band tees makes people at school judge me. But who the fuck cares. I'll do what I want, say what I want, and not give a shit as to what people say about me. I flip my finger at them and go "fuck you" when I do. xP
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 24th, 2009 at 09:50am
and sometimes teenagers give parents and "other old people" too little respect. It's a two way thing, imo, as most things are.
KAT0123
Killjoy
KAT0123
May 26th, 2009 at 01:26am
The adult years are MUCH harder than the teenage years, because the consequences of your actions are greater. What I miss most about being a teenager is that you can truly be yourself. You don't have to fake it if you don't want to. As an adult, whether or not if ppl like you have real consequences and rewards.

For instance:
In the teenage world, if your classmates hate you, you can choose to ignore them or even flip them the bird! If you are caught by your teacher, the worst you'll get is detention.

In the adult world: If your gossipy coworker hates your guts, you are in trouble! All it takes is one venomous "yes I like him (or her), BUT he just doesn't show enough initiative" to the right person and you could be on the next round of lay offs. It is cut throat. This is why most people become "politically correct" once reach adulthood, and especially politically correct when they have mouths to feed.

It's tiring.

And I don't even want to get started on life once you have kids!
Fear and Regret
Crash Queen
Fear and Regret
June 4th, 2009 at 09:08pm
Being a teenager shouldn't be that difficult of an age group. After all when I was one I tended to take some things people say too seriously and caused a lot of drama.

For example, a friend might come to you and tell you things were really tough today. Of course your friend tells you their side but what about the other side of the problem? The only way to solve this is to have both parties and forget the whole drama of it all.