Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenagers

AuthorMessage
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 12th, 2008 at 09:51pm
Is it really everything to be good looking? I mean, I understand that people’s opinions shouldn’t really matter. But, as much as it hurts, people’s views on myself get to me sometimes. I was told not to care about what others think of me, but in a way I think that’s like giving up. It’s like letting the bad guy win a way.

Becoming a teenager really has a lot of hard work with it. I thought it would easy. Besides the work at school, I thought my life would easier then ever. But, now it’s worse.

I just really want other people’s views on the whole thing. Like if anyone else is beginning to feel the pressure of being a teenager.

[[If this topic already exists, feel free to delete/lock.]]
skitty.
In the Cannibal Glow
skitty.
April 13th, 2008 at 12:13pm
I think teenagers these days are way to judgemental and steriotypical
every one in my school has a steriotype
and every one has their little clique, and no one steps out of that little clique
no one even tries to get to know other people anymore
they go by what they thinks they know
it's terribly annoying
but ignoring it has become increasingly easy
just don't let them get to you
ever_so_gone
Killjoy
ever_so_gone
April 13th, 2008 at 12:19pm
My opinion is just to do what makes you happy.

If wearing a hideously ugly neon dress to your High School makes YOU, personally happy, then go for it. Screw the people that might make fun of you. Be who you want to be.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 13th, 2008 at 09:49pm
Thanks.
It's kind of comforting to know that others can help you.
Even if its online.
So, thank you for your opinions.

And I do agree with the stereotype/clique point.
Everyone these days seems to have to have one. =/
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
April 13th, 2008 at 10:10pm
faded:
I think teenagers these days are way to judgemental and steriotypical
every one in my school has a steriotype
and every one has their little clique, and no one steps out of that little clique
no one even tries to get to know other people anymore
they go by what they thinks they know
it's terribly annoying
but ignoring it has become increasingly easy
just don't let them get to you

agreed
if someone even thinks of doing something that doesn't fit in to their steryotype.........
i still remember how insane people went when i had pink in my outfit one day at school........i love black but i also like pink as well. apparently, you can't have it both ways
but i will wear both pink and black if i want. i say just do what you want if it makes you happy and always be yourself. if we should have one right, its to be ourselves without all these stupid social repercussions.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 14th, 2008 at 05:59am

It's hard being a teenager.

No matter what an adult says, it's always hard to be an adolescent.
You have to face all these pressures that could potentially affect you in later life.
What type of friends you have, grades, smoking, drugs, alcohol, home life etc.
If something messes you up early then it might impact you in later life.
This can also be taken in a physical sense.
Drinking and driving = Major (or fatal) injuries.
Drugs = Mental problems and physically addicted
Social Situations = Bullying etc.

And now onto the stereotypical front....
No matter how hard you try, you are always going to stereotype someone at some point.
So I find it unfair when people say "It's bad to stereotype, I hate it when people do that bla bla bla.

"4. Sociology. a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group: The cowboy and Indian are American stereotypes. "

No matter where you go you stereotype. The sporty group, the smart group, the goth group.
You cannot say that you have never done it.

My opinion is that as long as you are happy with yourself, then it doesn't matter. :]

drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 14th, 2008 at 06:33am
I totally agree with you and everyone here.
It seems no matter where you go, a stereotype must be given to you.

And being happy with yourself does work;
Which I'm working on now.
I'm taking one step at a time, and trying to do my best.
That goes for school, family, work, and friends.
It all does seem to work when you relax at look at how a small part of my life is good.

Like, I have food on my table: a bed to sleep in. Friends that have said they cared about me.

And then the luxuries: my computer, my iPod, and pay television. It's all worthwhile eventually, when you look on the bright side.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 15th, 2008 at 05:14am

Personally, for me, being a teenager is fairly easy. However, for others, it is not and I recongise that.

As a teenager, everyone seems to be still finding their feet, finding who they really are. A result of this is, in some circumstances, you don't know your friends anymore. The people you grew up with aren't who you thought they were and that can be very hard.

It's easier said than done to 'ignore people putting you down' but it's something that we have to all do as a part of being ourselves. If everyone gave in to pressure we would, eventually, become a sort of identical machine.

Where labels are concerned, as previously mentioned, everyone uses them at some point whether or not it's in a nasty way. Sometimes it's easier to say the 'chavs' or the 'emos' rather than string a long a list of names or describe the person/people you are talking about.

As a teenager, we are under more peer pressure than ever ranging from how we look to drugs and alcohol. How much peer pressure you are under can largely reflect the kind of friends you have and what they are putting you through. Sometimes, it is hard to spot the source of the problem or find out that people you love are bad for you.

In my eyes, do what you do best and be how YOU want to be. As long as you make yourself happy, what's stopping you? The ones that disagree will drift away eventually.
Spiritual Adviser .
Joining The Black Parade
Spiritual Adviser .
April 15th, 2008 at 07:40pm
I think exactly the same you all are saying.

Ok, maybe is the best time of your life, but it's very hard too. We all know that, and I think that in the past, it wasn't so hard to be a teenager.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
April 16th, 2008 at 10:46am
Being a teenager, I agree, is not easy. This is the point in time where you undergo the most changes, pressure and experiences. This is also the point in time where we determine what we want to set our minds to. It is hard, and very frustrating at times. Especially in this generation, wherein people are put under massive peer pressure, temptations and get sidetracked from doing the right things. Also, the superiority - inferiority complex is getting quite out of hand.

However, I do want to just point out something, if I may, seeing as it has been troubling me nowadays. I have met some people who seem to have massive problems, and feel that their life is "miserable, and totally ruined. It's uncool,". I feel that some teenagers (not all, of course) are making their lives worse than it really is, in order to evoke pity and to attract attention to themselves. Lately, this new "trend", if I may be so bold to call it that, is really starting to get on my nerves. Some teenagers should realize that just because they are undergoing changes, or their parents are becoming stricter due to the amount of responsibility they have been slacking off on, does not mean that their life has totally fallen apart. I very much understand the troubles they may have, but I find it hard to believe that ALL of them have that much problems. I know some do, of course, and I hope it does get better, but to others, I find it hard to believe, seeing as their backgrounds and environments seem to be the kind that would not produce such problems as this.

Do you agree, or am I just blowing it all out of proportion?
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 17th, 2008 at 12:46am

MurderOnBroadway I totally agree.

Some people do this for attention, like "Aww. it isn't that bad" etc.
I once had a friend (Who is not my friend anymore) who was whining about how bad his life was. However, he got best in school award, had a full family and nothing wrong in his life.
However, my mum was in hospital with a mystery illness that no-one could figure out. I thought she might not make it.

This was unfair since he was taking all the attention as I stood in the background, quietly waiting.

Sure, some people do have serious problems, but there are others who just do it for the attention. For the feeling of being wanted.

And that means that something is wrong with the youth today. Neutral
vampirate516
Fabulous Killjoy
vampirate516
April 17th, 2008 at 05:41pm
I must say, being a teenager by definition SUCKS!
Theres no other way to put it, its going to be hard, it's going to get confusing, people are going to turn on you and make your life a living hell.
And im being positive here.
No matter where you are or what you do there will be stereotypes and cliques. That's a given, and most people can't accept that and believe that somewhere out there, there is a place where all groups can be together and be friends...sorry to say but i've been to many schools/places and everywheres the same.
I honestly don't believe when people tell me these are the best years of my life, becuase the future to me seems much more fun and with a lot more freedom.
However, all teenagers have their own experiences to make these years special and all i can say is try to make the best of it.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
April 17th, 2008 at 08:02pm
o yes i agree with what some people are saying about the friends thing. i have had the same group of friends at my school since the fifth grade. but i have changed as a person and i have learned an extraordinary amount from mcr that have caused me to view them in a new light. I'm not really saying they are bad people, but not as good as ones that i could be surrounding myself with and they definitely have the whole problem of saying things for attention. I know they all have their own stuff going on, but there are much worse problems in the world than theirs. Needless to say I find myself hanging out with them more out of habit than desire. I doubt I will stay in touch with any of them when I switch schools next year.
Miracles.
Joining The Black Parade
Miracles.
April 18th, 2008 at 05:40am
My school isn't really as clique filled as some other high schools in my city, but anyways.
You get teased if your 'goth', fat, 'nerd', skinny, and yeah.
Teenagers (in my opinion) find an excuse to make someone else feel small to make them seem high and mighty because whoever it is they're putting down is too afraid/cant be fked to tell them to rack off.

Also, at my high school, if you don't swear, you're uncool.
If you don't follow the crowd, your a loser.
If you're good at a subject, your a nerd.
Its just part of growing up. Trying to fit in and all...
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
April 18th, 2008 at 06:22am
I have a question: Do you think that social status between peers is necessary?
Is it helpful?
Can it be stopped? How?

A lot of times, I hear about people being better than others, and there is a certain amount of respect that is mandatory for others not in that level. Is that supposed to teach everyone something?

I'm just curious, seeing as I've been hearing and seeing so much of it, and I just want to know what everyone thinks. Very Happy
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 18th, 2008 at 06:42am
MurderOnBroadway:
Is it helpful?
Can it be stopped? How?

I don't think it is necessary, but it makes people higher in social status feel good.
They are known, liked and respected with gives them some amount of comfort and acceptance.
However, people who are lower down are more likely to have self-esteem problems as they question themselves.
'Why am I not popular? Is there something wrong with me?' etc.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
April 18th, 2008 at 07:39am
MurderOnBroadway:
Is it helpful?
Can it be stopped? How?

I don't thinks its necessary. A lot of people that are "cool" or "popular" aren't the ones necessarily deserve the respect. I mean there definately are kids like that who are good kids but what about the "nerds" and people like that who are very smart and have done more respect and status but simply aren't "cool" enough?
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
April 18th, 2008 at 08:47am
srry to double post but I left some stuff out of last one.

Is it helpful?
Not really. For every kid who feels important and respected from it comes another kids who gets their self esteem lowered from it
Can it be stopped? How?
No I don't think so. I think the idea of "coolness" has been like stamped in people's heads and like lables, its just going to be a part of society people may not like.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 19th, 2008 at 02:39am
I don't usually think if there is something wrong with me because I'm not popular. I know I'm not. And I don't make it a big deal. I think it's a little stupid when people start to question themselves about if there is something wrong with them. Although it may take some time to be comfortable with yourself.

I do agree with you though. People who are known to be higher then others in society is comforting for them. Although, I have never been in that position. For them to know they have people to do anything and everything for them is messed up.

It is some stupid and humiliating hierarchy created to make people feel bad.
hyperxpunk
Killjoy
hyperxpunk
April 19th, 2008 at 03:42am
You know, you shouldn't actually care what the others think of you...
Do you remember what Gerard Way said? 'Be yourself, don't take anyone's sh*t and never let them take you alive.'
This quote helped me a lot and i'm sure it will help you too....