Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenagers

AuthorMessage
apolloinlove
Killjoy
apolloinlove
April 20th, 2008 at 03:22pm

I really feel that too. Being a teenager is really difficult.

Sometimes I feel like a chameleon! As in, whenever you meet a new social group or whatever, you automatically start to assess what is 'acceptable' and what isn't, and start to change yourself to be more 'acceptable' - and every time this happens it feels like a little part of the 'real you' dies. Well, this is how it is for me anyway! But still feel like a misfit even though I do this all the time :/

Recently I've been getting really good at being myself though, and trying to to mind what other people think and say, and I think that people actually sort of respect you for that.

Also, I read in the newspaper the other day that there is more pressure on teenage girls to be beautiful at the moment than ever before - I can totally see this, its really crappy.

I hope that we can all just try to continue being true to ourselves and loving ourselves :]
a_h
Thinking Happy Thoughts
a_h
April 21st, 2008 at 02:37pm
i totally feel the pressure of being a teenager. at first it hit me really hard. i mean REALLY hard. i had no clue how to handle it. i made bad decisions. but one day i just decided that i was going on the wrong path. now i have very few friends but theyre very good friends, a boyfriend that every girl dreams of... all just by being myself regardless. everybody is equal.. everybody. no person is superior. we are all equal.. and now that i finally chose to realize this, i sit back and laugh at all of those egotistic assholes who still havent.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 22nd, 2008 at 12:25am
I've been fortunate in the fact that my high school is very accepting of people and their differences - at least, my graduating class is. Sure, there are cliques and labels at my school, just like any other. It's a part of teenage life. It's a part of life, in general. But I've been very lucky in that all the students I'm faced with on a daily basis are very accepting of everyone's individuality and, for the most part, aren't quick to make judgments on a person's character based on their clothes or the music they listen to, or anything like that.
I have to say that labels suck so bad. I HATE labels. So much. So so much. I hate it when people label me. I'm confident with who I am and I don't let any of the things they call me or say about me affect me on a personal level, but I know for a lot of people, labels hurt them very badly. I'm not saying I'm immune to the affect these labels take on me; it stills hurts when one of my classmates tells me that I'm a "dark and depressing person", that my face "makes young children cry". It does hurt, trust me. But I guess I'm blessed with knowing who I am well enough to know that the things they tell me aren't true.
So. Not to sound totally bummer on you ... but people will always be cruel. Judgemental. Stereotypical. Egocentric. Fill in the black. But - it's the way you learn to handle these people that makes the difference. Once you get past all the jerks who aren't willing to see past your exterior, you get to meet the true, honest, genuine people who are willing to look past what you wear and see you for who you are. Those are the people you need to become close with. Screw all the others.
And if it seems there isn't a soul out there willing to take you for who you are ... screw them all, then. Be who you want to be. Don't let anyone's thoughts, opinions, or words define who you are. Only you can define yourself. Be who you want to be. Do what you want to do. If it makes you happy, it will make the people who care about you happy, too. And believe me, no matter how it seems, there are people who care about you. Always.
So ... to wrap it up ...

Be yourself, don't take anyone's shit and never let them take you alive.
~Gerard Way
harrystyles
Salute You in Your Grave
harrystyles
April 22nd, 2008 at 06:41am
its alot harder than it seems to just be yourself and do, say, dress how you want- regardless of what people think. i mean, we don't even have a clique problem at my school but i still feel that pressure to "not say the wrong thing or they'll think this...." etc. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter what they think, but it never seems to work.
I suppose it really all is part of being a teenager. That feeling of wanting to be accepted.
And to go with the previous page- yeah there really do seem to be alot of people faking or blowing their problems out of proportion, which sucks for the people who actually need the help/attention.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 22nd, 2008 at 08:04am
Just to let all you guys know, the feeling of wanting to belong doesn't just magically disappear once you leave highschool. The same with cliques. You still have to deal with all that shit in everyday life.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
April 22nd, 2008 at 09:07am
sprinkles? does have a point.

Everyday life really is all about the challenge. Each day, you have to undergo circumstances that are quite like a repeat of highschool. People don't also just magically change after highschool, like an enlightenment. It's not something that's pleasant to hear, but definitely is expected nowadays.
oh! gravity
Killjoy
oh! gravity
April 22nd, 2008 at 10:11am
MurderOnBroadway:
sprinkles? does have a point.

Everyday life really is all about the challenge. Each day, you have to undergo circumstances that are quite like a repeat of highschool. People don't also just magically change after highschool, like an enlightenment. It's not something that's pleasant to hear, but definitely is expected nowadays.

agreed.
DanYELLDAMAGED
Killjoy
DanYELLDAMAGED
April 26th, 2008 at 07:54am
Yeah my school if FULL of cliques, my year (9) is the beginning of it all before this year, you could pretty much explore who you want to be b, but now...
Me and my best friend are basically the only ones not in a clique. We;re sorta labels the freaks, im okay with this because all the cliques have SOOOO many issues with people on the outside, the year is made up into 4 cliques, Chavs, "Gangstas", Emos and "individuists"& the group who basically acceot the sorta people who just slide by school having a laugh. Im kinda friends with a girl who is in the Emo & "indidualists" cliques and when her "friends" found out she spoke to me they refused to talk to her for a month, our friendship is now a secret. I hate the fact the kind of person you are and the fact you dont want to be like everyone else or copy the different "Fads" your automatically shunned and if you get on well with someone npt in your clique its liek your destroing the flipping eco system.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
April 26th, 2008 at 08:47am
theres so many things i want to do but i cant because of my age and that people wouldnt take me seriously. to say the least.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
April 26th, 2008 at 08:51am
i cant act upon all my beliefs
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 29th, 2008 at 07:23pm
kid whatever.:
Just to let all you guys know, the feeling of wanting to belong doesn't just magically disappear once you leave highschool. The same with cliques. You still have to deal with all that shit in everyday life.

True. Very true.
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
May 7th, 2008 at 02:17pm
Being a teenager is such a bitch.
Im not too bothered about the being judged.
But dealing with friends, and relationships.
And then helping your friends out when they are upset, then the bitchiness
SO MUCH BITCHINESS, i swear to god it is actually such a pain
And yes i'm guilty of bitching, we all do. Even the nicest people bitch.

But it gets out of hand sometimes, then the cliques and whatever

Dear lord i hate it.I agree with Gerard,
Teenagers do scare the living shit out of me.
blackparadeisdead!
Joining The Black Parade
blackparadeisdead!
May 10th, 2008 at 08:19pm
being a teen is kinda hard. in my school ppl who i don't even talk 2 and never have talked to have labeled me as a "nerd" just because i get good grades doesn't mean im a nerd! i just try to ignore them and i have the best friends ever so they comfort me. as well as mcr. i just think its annoying. Being a teen can be a bitch but it can also be awesome. like the privlages and stuff. sometimes i have low self esteem but thats normal... sometimes i have high self esteem and thats normal 2......its just figuring out who you are. which im doing right now.....
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
May 11th, 2008 at 10:16am
It seems to me that one of the most difficult things about being a teenager now is the degree to which you're expected to perform and the amount of ambition you're magically supposed to have. (At least, this is a big one in my life.) For example, because for pretty much any job you now need a college degree, there's a lot more people going to college than ever before, and it's much more difficult to get spots in colleges. So most experts recommend applying to 9 different schools. Yeah, 9. I mean, I can barely name that many. And it's more difficult to get in if you don't have perfect grades or some ameliorating factor. So teenagers now have to deal with all this pressure to first do really, really well in school so they can go to college in the first place, and then to be really, really motivated so they can get there once they're done with high school. So that's something that's really difficult.

But then, at the same time, there's a lot of pressure from the media and, often, from other kids, to do things you don't want to do, or to do stuff because it's cool, that would probably hurt your chances in college. So there's that, too.

I don't know. I think, as a culture, we're all trying too damn hard. And no, I'm not stoned and I actually do plan on going to college. But I think all this pressure on kids to perform just gives you an unhappy generation.
Nadia Way
Jazz Hands
Nadia Way
May 11th, 2008 at 08:01pm
idk i love beein a teenager. You have lots of freedom and no responsibilities. But i have a good relationship with my parents and while your a teen, that is crucial.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
May 12th, 2008 at 08:26am
Nadia Way:
idk i love beein a teenager. You have lots of freedom and no responsibilities. But i have a good relationship with my parents and while your a teen, that is crucial.

Oh, so true. There's both a lot more and a lot less expected of you than at any other time in your life. So in many ways, being a teenager is great. But it has decidedly difficult elements, too.
The?!Society
Fabulous Killjoy
The?!Society
May 12th, 2008 at 08:59am
techno cocaine.:

That is true but I've heard it's a at least a little easier out of high school. Not that my high school is exactly brutal. There will always be losers who think they're funny to pick on you or whatever. But the older you get, I think the easier it will be for you to just ignore all that crap. It won't bother you as much.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
May 13th, 2008 at 11:45am
yesterday some girls were making fun of my acne saying that it looked like i had aids and herpies on my face and that it'd be better if i never showed it agan. i usually dont care what ppl say or think about me, but it got to me for some reason, and i started crying at lunch.

i think that alot of teenagers today are cruel and insensitive. because i was never anything but nice to those girls, i never made fun of them and i was never mean to them. so i dont know why the made fun of me. boredom. insecurity. i dont know. but no matter how bored or insecure you are, thats never an excuse to be mean to someone else.

in high school everyone gets lopped off into groups and labels, preps, band geeks, emos, goths, posers, etc. but why do teenagers do it? maybe the ones who do that think it would make things less complicated but when you think about it, it complicates everything more, figuring out which group you belong to and such. i think alot of teens are to focused on stuff like that, who they're seen with, whose on their myspace page, etc. i think alot of teens lost sight of what really matters
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 13th, 2008 at 08:02pm
Being a teenager is really hard. At my school, I guess you could say I'm part of the popular crowd, and I hope that doesn't come off pompous or anything, but I just mean, all my friends live in abercrombie, and you know. all that.

I mean, its fun sometimes, because I get invited to parties, and all that. But sometimes it's just really stressful, because SINCE I'm in a like "group" with a lot of people, I don't like everyone i'm forced to hang out with, and I have to be careful about everything I say because it will get back to them. I can barely trust anyone, and everyone's fake. And it really gets old sometimes. And also, with clothes. Like it's fucking ridiculous. some of my friends have rules like, shirts 2-3 week rotation, pants, 1 week rotation. And I follow them too, because I don't want to..ugh idk. Its just so hard.

and, since all my friends are like abercrombie, hollister blahblah, and I dress diferently, sometimes they don't really get it. But I think by now they're used to it by now.

But sometimes I just kind of feel like the blacksheep.
pxieVAMPIREdust
Bleeding on the Floor
pxieVAMPIREdust
May 15th, 2008 at 10:48pm
i think that the true meaning of being a teenager is to have fun, play around yet settle your goals in life and be laid-back

yeah, it's a lot of pressure...especially when your family counts on you, and with all the peer pressure, confusion in choosing the right path...but if you are really determined in doing what your heart desires, you'll get get over it, LOUD and PROUD...you'll survive...think of it as something you enjoy doing, and i promise, you won't feel any difficulty...

-I always put these thought on my mind, so that i won't get lost...