Don't have an account? Create one!

The MCR London protest. Who's going?

AuthorMessage
Scartist
Jazz Hands
Scartist
May 23rd, 2008 at 11:45am
I just realized it's not just two videos, there are LOTS. If you look at the related box, it's full of those things.
I can't believe this. And most of the comments agree with them. I honestly don't know if they are just sarcastic, or is it really what the fanbase of MCR is?
meravigliosa_vita
Killjoy
meravigliosa_vita
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:09pm
earth2themorgue:
^^ how do you know gerard isnt fond of the protest idea?

cause my frind knows Gee and talks to him
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:13pm
Scartist:
I just realized it's not just two videos, there are LOTS. If you look at the related box, it's full of those things.
I can't believe this. And most of the comments agree with them. I honestly don't know if they are just sarcastic, or is it really what the fanbase of MCR is?

They are definitely doing it as a joke to bring down the protest.
That's why they have all the emo images.

I have a feeling that it's just one guy or a sad group of friends with nothing better to do.

I've flagged all the videos, it's essential that they're removed before they spread too much around the internet
Mrs.Halloween
Salute You in Your Grave
Mrs.Halloween
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:14pm
not to be rude meravigliosa_vita, but i highly doubt that.

guys, i have a feeling these mass-suicide videos are being made by people who are trying to boycott the peaceful protest and turn people against the idea [as opposed to legitimate suicidal 'emos'].
i've left comments on the videos saying that the actual organisers of the protest have nothing to do with this and flagged all of those videos i've found. hopefully they'll be gone soon...

edit: heh, sed, great minds think alike!
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:17pm
^ hehe yep!
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:24pm
new NME article

http://www.nme.com/news/my-chemical-romance/36848

edit: who is Smith?
inactive account
Demolition Lover
inactive account
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:41pm
^ the person who started off this whole protest thing
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:42pm
I can't believe we got a double-page spread in The Independent.
Seriously, go pick up a copy.
It's a fairly good article. It's well-researched and - save for all the mentions of emo - I can't really fault it.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:45pm
heartagram.:
new NME article

http://www.nme.com/news/my-chemical-romance/36848

edit: who is Smith?

The Rumour
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 23rd, 2008 at 12:48pm
ah okay thanks :]
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 23rd, 2008 at 01:13pm
:cheese:
I'm in NME's article?
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
May 23rd, 2008 at 01:18pm
Oh my! I've been off the net for a couple of days and this is what happens. How amazing is all this media coverage? I've read this whole thread and I can't believe all the media interest that has happened in the past couple of days.

Those youtube videos have really annoyed me though. If it is haters trying to pervert this protest from what it truly is, that is bad enough. But if it is genuine people who really believe that this is the message then that is very worrying. Worse is the people who are commenting in support, I really hope those are tasteless jokes. They have to be jokes, because so many people can't get MCR's message wrong can they?

I am so proud of you guys. This started out as a suggestion and now it is actually happening. I hope that this protest is everything it can be and that the negative message being spread by misinformed individuals won't be associated with the true meaning of the protest. I am so proud of you guys.

The Rumor:
:cheese:
I'm in NME's article?

You're like Ghost Buster famous. Razz How amazing is that?!
Bess Houdini
Fabulous Killjoy
Bess Houdini
May 23rd, 2008 at 01:26pm
I have to be honest and say I'm not fond of the protest idea, either, and that I don't think the boys would be fond, either. I think the guys would rather we use our proven massive organizational skills for something more world-changing than protesting the Daily Mail.

Maybe it's a cultural difference or something that's making me think this way.
Mrs.Halloween
Salute You in Your Grave
Mrs.Halloween
May 23rd, 2008 at 01:32pm
^ i can totally appreciate your opinion, but it's not just against the daily mail.
it's against anyone who's ever called mcr a 'suicide cult' band, and it's sticking up for ourselves and the fact that mcr have a very positive messege to bring.

and there are worse things that're happening in the world right now than a few bands being slated, wrongly demeaned and called 'emo', but this is what we've chosen to stick up for, and people can go ahead and protest against anything they feel strongly about, this is just something we're doing.
Bess Houdini
Fabulous Killjoy
Bess Houdini
May 23rd, 2008 at 01:43pm
I understand that. It's just my feeling that if we had ignored it, it would be transient, and by next month we'd just be laughing at the Daily Mail, and the ignorant people who are calling emo a "suicide" cult.

The way I see it...if MCR is so anti-suicide, and you're defending that, why not organize something to support mental help or anti-suicide programs?

Anyway. No matter what I say, it's not going to change or stop you guys from doing the protest. I just feel like it's going to blow things out of proportion, and I think that the bands your defending would not particularly want to be associated with this.

Just my opinion.
Mrs.Halloween
Salute You in Your Grave
Mrs.Halloween
May 23rd, 2008 at 01:49pm
This has been going on for years now though, they've posted several articles before, singling the band out about this sort of suicide culture and we've ignored it in the past, but it's being brought up again, so we're doing something about it now.
And we've [the people organising it] have always felt from the start that there's been an anti-suicide, anti self-harm messege to the protest [even if it doesn't appear as the most prominent reason for the protest].

And, this isn't meant to sound rude, but I don't think anyone can really speculate on whether or not the band[s] would be in support of this, unless you heard it from the horse's mouth.
I mean, I would hope that MCR would actually be proud that we're sticking up for what we believe in, but I'm not going to say I think they are proud, cause I don't know that.

I understand, and I completely respect your opinion, even if I don't agree with it!
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 23rd, 2008 at 02:15pm
I'm sick of always just laughing it off.
*shrugs*
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
May 23rd, 2008 at 02:36pm
Those videos had better be a joke, because they scare me. They go against everything that My Chem stand for, and I don't even want to imagine how horrified the guys, not to mention everybody here, would be if they found out a whole bunch of kids had killed themselves over the fucking Daily Mail.
Zaraza
Bleeding on the Floor
Zaraza
May 23rd, 2008 at 03:05pm
Oh, God, I am so fucking proud..
It kinda gets bigger every day.
I get Google updates - my inbox is kinda packed.
So many papers have mentioned this now..

The Rumor, everyone involved, you rock!
I hate the fact that I can't be there for the march,
but I'm definitely gonna cheer you on,
all the way from No-way.. XD
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
May 23rd, 2008 at 03:17pm
*cough* Any chance the videos on youtube are genuine? There is quite a few of them now, and they are advertising the protest and the whatthefrank website as something it is not. I really hope it's just jokes in bad taste and not someone with serious issues who couldn't have got it more wrong. I don't want someone who is very misinformed to affect the outcome of what could be a brilliant protest. Just one person there publically cutting themselves could ruin the whole thing. Argh... Why did people have to make those stupid videos?!