Don't have an account? Create one!

The MCR London protest. Who's going?

AuthorMessage
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 24th, 2008 at 11:24am
PC Load Letter?:
I just realized the protest might not work. There's no way that a bunch of us (Who are all very pissed off, and have raging hormones, and hardly any sense of the laws, and regulation for many of our feelings) could just decide to do a peaceful protest without anyone getting hurt. We are all too passionate about our cause to have things run totally smoothly, and have no one get so pissed off, something gets fucked up. Sure, there are plenty that work. For example: In the 70's, when protests were being held, most everyone was stoned.....So yea. And much more recently, with the writer's strikes, and stagehand strikes, strikes for world peace and environmental issues, people were more organized, and much more mature.
I think that the idea of a protest is amazing, but we have much more research, and planning to do before all of us can pull one off successfully. Nothing can be just "Oh, I know basically what we have to do, and this is an outline of what should happen" No, things don't work well like that. You have to know exactly what the rules are, exactly what to tell people to do, and act like, and all that jazz.
Perhaps doing another protest, for another cause would help ours much more. Maybe doing something for the millions dying of aids in Africa would be much more impressive that a bunch of MCR fans doing a protest against one little shitty fucking magazine. I'm sure the boys would be much happier with that. We would get more positive media attention. I can already see the CNN headlines now "Emo teens are complaining again" We have to think on a broader scale. Something that is much bigger than all of us. If we don't I have a feeling that it's just going to continue to be a cyber war forever. Insensitive dickheads saying all "Emo kids" hurt themselves and listen to My Chem. Then we retaliate and get into NME. Big fucking deal. NME means shit to all the people of the world. Just one magazine, from on little place on the entire earth. Yes, it's impressive for just us, but I don't want it to be impressive for just us. I want it to be impressive for ANYONE. Besides, NME has nothing better to write about. There's not much to talk about when all you can talk about is stuff in the scene.
If we want anyone to take us seriously, we need to think BIGGER. Not just ourselves and our problems but everyone else, and ALL of our problems. I think that would prove much more.
In addition to this, we all need to start getting ourselves more educated. Buy yourself a goddamn dictionary, and some good books, and start sounding professional.
The reason why I'm saying this is not because I'm mad, it's because I want to make an impact with you all. I want to start cracking down, and doing something worth while. We want to change the world. We could, you know. Anyone who sets their mind to it, and just looks straight at their goal can.

I agree with a great deal of this (minus the violence part; I don't think that would really happen). After seeing it from that point of view, this protest seems silly compared to what else you could do. If you put a protest against, maybe, hmm, Darfur or the Iraq war, in the context of "MCR fans trying to make a difference," you look a LOT less like whiny teens. These "journalists" got a real kick out of the whining last time, and it clearly changed nothing. All that's happening is a VERY slight escalation. And it seems like most of the participants will only end up being laughed at.

And I definitely agree about the education part. But I have to say it sounds uneducated when you use profanity, and you did in that very sentence.

I don't know if anyone's learned from celebs, but the best response to an attack on you or your "culture" is to ignore it and go on like nothing ever happened. It makes you the biggest person for knowing it's insignificant.

I expect a big disagreement here since everyone has already disagreed, but I suppose I understand why nobody would want to give up doing something they've already gotten somewhat organized.

I think I'd love to have a bake sale. That's peaceful, and it's yummy. Proceeds go to some good cause.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 24th, 2008 at 11:32am
Judging by the articles and support from The Independent, Kerrang and NME it seems that some people can see why we would want to march, and that's the point of this.
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
May 24th, 2008 at 11:42am
A lot of people seem to be agreeing on the idea that 'this is not worth protesting over'.

I would just like to say that:
1) When people stop being killed/attacked/maligned because of subculture, race, appearance or sexuality, then, and only then will it not be worth it.

2) The media is responsible for the consequences of it's actions. If a publication wants to lie and slander, I do not believe we should just let it go. If they are willing to lie about this, how can we trust their word on anything?

3) Though this is the mentioned event at this moment, it is unfair to assume that this is the only thing all the people attending this protest fight for. I certainly run events for the SOPHIE charity, and organise various events for different causes, usually equality based, through my University all the time. For me at least, this is just one of many causes.
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
May 24th, 2008 at 12:17pm
^^^ Wow, you manage to say everything I want to say, but about a million times better than I could have said it. So jealous right now. Smile
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
May 24th, 2008 at 12:21pm
x..touching_hands..x:
A lot of people seem to be agreeing on the idea that 'this is not worth protesting over'.

I would just like to say that:
1) When people stop being killed/attacked/maligned because of subculture, race, appearance or sexuality, then, and only then will it not be worth it.

2) The media is responsible for the consequences of it's actions. If a publication wants to lie and slander, I do not believe we should just let it go. If they are willing to lie about this, how can we trust their word on anything?

3) Though this is the mentioned event at this moment, it is unfair to assume that this is the only thing all the people attending this protest fight for. I certainly run events for the SOPHIE charity, and organise various events for different causes, usually equality based, through my University all the time. For me at least, this is just one of many causes.

I agree with everything you just said, and, to add, I think it makes a difference that we are doing something at all and standing up for what we believe in. The same causes are not important to everybody, after all, and every single one is important. Just because it is considered "worthless" to someone else does not mean it is worthless. Surely it's better to try to solve one problem than just sit on our asses and do nothing, because that's what the majority of the population does. If everybody stood up for what they believed in, no matter how small of an issue other people thought it was, the world would be a much better place.
Sonny Moore.
Fabulous Killjoy
Sonny Moore.
May 24th, 2008 at 02:08pm
I think we should make the focus just a bit more on the dangers of self-harm and suicide, thusly forwarding My Chem's message
I really do think we should have a lot of focus on helping people with these issuses, as well as helping the people around them

So I was thinking that maybe we should have people going around with buckets or something, collecting money (since most people are bringing money anyway) that could be given to a charity like To Write Love On Her Arms

It's just a suggestion and I'd personally be more than happy to go around collecting, as I'm sure others would too

If the organizers are interested in this idea, please tell me, I'm currently looking into ways to contact TWLOHA
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 24th, 2008 at 02:53pm
x..touching_hands..x:
it is unfair to assume that this is the only thing all the people attending this protest fight for.

That is so very true, and that's probably why not one person has said that or probably even thought it.

I just think it would be better to tackle more important issues, perhaps in conjunction.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 24th, 2008 at 02:54pm
Spencer:
I think we should make the focus just a bit more on the dangers of self-harm and suicide, thusly forwarding My Chem's message
I really do think we should have a lot of focus on helping people with these issuses, as well as helping the people around them

So I was thinking that maybe we should have people going around with buckets or something, collecting money (since most people are bringing money anyway) that could be given to a charity like To Write Love On Her Arms

It's just a suggestion and I'd personally be more than happy to go around collecting, as I'm sure others would too

PERFECT! IT EVEN GIVES ROOM FOR A BAKE SALE! BEAUTIFUL. I love you.
writerGrrl
Salute You in Your Grave
writerGrrl
May 24th, 2008 at 03:05pm
[quote="heartagram."]Look what I found...
Crap like this gives MCR fans (and Jews) a bad name.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 24th, 2008 at 03:36pm
Nathan ; That's a great idea. I'll discuss with the others.
Bess Houdini
Fabulous Killjoy
Bess Houdini
May 24th, 2008 at 03:58pm
Jim Halpert:
PC Load Letter?:
I just realized the protest might not work. There's no way that a bunch of us (Who are all very pissed off, and have raging hormones, and hardly any sense of the laws, and regulation for many of our feelings) could just decide to do a peaceful protest without anyone getting hurt. We are all too passionate about our cause to have things run totally smoothly, and have no one get so pissed off, something gets fucked up. Sure, there are plenty that work. For example: In the 70's, when protests were being held, most everyone was stoned.....So yea. And much more recently, with the writer's strikes, and stagehand strikes, strikes for world peace and environmental issues, people were more organized, and much more mature.
I think that the idea of a protest is amazing, but we have much more research, and planning to do before all of us can pull one off successfully. Nothing can be just "Oh, I know basically what we have to do, and this is an outline of what should happen" No, things don't work well like that. You have to know exactly what the rules are, exactly what to tell people to do, and act like, and all that jazz.
Perhaps doing another protest, for another cause would help ours much more. Maybe doing something for the millions dying of aids in Africa would be much more impressive that a bunch of MCR fans doing a protest against one little shitty fucking magazine. I'm sure the boys would be much happier with that. We would get more positive media attention. I can already see the CNN headlines now "Emo teens are complaining again" We have to think on a broader scale. Something that is much bigger than all of us. If we don't I have a feeling that it's just going to continue to be a cyber war forever. Insensitive dickheads saying all "Emo kids" hurt themselves and listen to My Chem. Then we retaliate and get into NME. Big fucking deal. NME means shit to all the people of the world. Just one magazine, from on little place on the entire earth. Yes, it's impressive for just us, but I don't want it to be impressive for just us. I want it to be impressive for ANYONE. Besides, NME has nothing better to write about. There's not much to talk about when all you can talk about is stuff in the scene.
If we want anyone to take us seriously, we need to think BIGGER. Not just ourselves and our problems but everyone else, and ALL of our problems. I think that would prove much more.
In addition to this, we all need to start getting ourselves more educated. Buy yourself a goddamn dictionary, and some good books, and start sounding professional.
The reason why I'm saying this is not because I'm mad, it's because I want to make an impact with you all. I want to start cracking down, and doing something worth while. We want to change the world. We could, you know. Anyone who sets their mind to it, and just looks straight at their goal can.

I agree with a great deal of this (minus the violence part; I don't think that would really happen). After seeing it from that point of view, this protest seems silly compared to what else you could do. If you put a protest against, maybe, hmm, Darfur or the Iraq war, in the context of "MCR fans trying to make a difference," you look a LOT less like whiny teens. These "journalists" got a real kick out of the whining last time, and it clearly changed nothing. All that's happening is a VERY slight escalation. And it seems like most of the participants will only end up being laughed at.

And I definitely agree about the education part. But I have to say it sounds uneducated when you use profanity, and you did in that very sentence.

I don't know if anyone's learned from celebs, but the best response to an attack on you or your "culture" is to ignore it and go on like nothing ever happened. It makes you the biggest person for knowing it's insignificant.

I expect a big disagreement here since everyone has already disagreed, but I suppose I understand why nobody would want to give up doing something they've already gotten somewhat organized.

I think I'd love to have a bake sale. That's peaceful, and it's yummy. Proceeds go to some good cause.

Kill 'em with deliciousness.

I'm glad I am not alone in thinking that this protest isn't the most fantastic idea. Like I said, if we ignored it, by next month, we'd be laughing about being a suicide cult.

Seriously, guys. Now we know we can organize ourselves. Now let's organize ourselves to do something that will make a difference.
Sonny Moore.
Fabulous Killjoy
Sonny Moore.
May 24th, 2008 at 04:04pm
It's nice to hear people are hopping on board.

And I love the idea of a bake sale with proceeds going to TWLOHA! Can anyone bake? Like, at all? Last time I tried to, I burnt my hand...
transmission
Shotgun Sinner
transmission
May 24th, 2008 at 04:35pm
Hey guys, sorry my post stirred up some negative thoughts. I know I have a problem with using foul language, I'm trying hard to stop. I just think that if we've come so far, so fast, why should we stop there? We could really help some people out, the intelligent fans we are.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
May 24th, 2008 at 04:42pm
Gah, those videos are so f*cking annoying!
OMG!! I can't believe there are people in this world who would actually make them, it's bloody sickening! Grrrr.......
Scartist
Jazz Hands
Scartist
May 24th, 2008 at 05:11pm
PC Load Letter?:
I think that the idea of a protest is amazing, but we have much more
research, and planning to do before all of us can pull one off successfully. Nothing can be just "Oh, I know basically what we have to do, and this is an outline of what should happen" No, things don't work well like that. You have to know exactly what the rules are, exactly what to tell people to do, and act like, and all that jazz.

There are big problems in the world - wars, AIDS, cancer, violence, global-warming... And you are right, we have to do something about those.
But how is protesting against AIDS going to help anyone? It isn't going to stop it.
You know, I just feel that everyone is saying we should do something about these problems and they make big gatherings and stuff - the only point of those is to tell other people to do something. And in the end, nothing ever happens but protests and gatherings and big speeches.
Everyone wants to save the world and a lot of people just talk about it and say big things and talk big actions. They're no use.

How to save the world? Do little things. Give food to homeless people, go visit the kids in an orphanage, talk to someone who needs a friend... or just simply be nice to people and do favours without expecting anything in return. If people would do those things, world would be a much better place. (I'm not saying you don't do that, I'm saying most people who talk about changing the world are too lazy when it comes to actually doing anything, saying that those little things don't matter anyway.)

The MCR march actually has a goal: to show people that suicide and teenage depression are real problems, not a fashion that can be blamed on a band. And this message is important. It's not just about MCR.
dfgdfgsdfh
Bleeding on the Floor
dfgdfgsdfh
May 24th, 2008 at 05:13pm
Jim Halpert:
PC Load Letter?:
I agree with both of you 100%.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 24th, 2008 at 05:17pm
We all start with small steps. I campaign on behalf of amnesty international, it is something very close to my heart, but i totally support this protest because it is quite simply people standing up for something them believe in. Good for the UK, in many countries your human rights and the right to protest is violently denied. Well done guys.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 24th, 2008 at 05:27pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
We all start with small steps.

Thank you! Hail

People say to campaign about something that matters; well, the fact is, this matters to us. It's our opinion, and we want to do this.

And anyway, I hate to say this, but the majority of us are just teenagers. Would they really listen to us when we campaign about something 'that matters'? When they don't listen to adults? I really don't think so.
meravigliosa_vita
Killjoy
meravigliosa_vita
May 24th, 2008 at 06:14pm
hey on the thing for money, i think you guys should make something for the people in the United States to send money to, i would love to donate to a charity and with you guys under the name of MCR. so i mean it could be a good time to raise money too, great idea Very Happy
Sonny Moore.
Fabulous Killjoy
Sonny Moore.
May 24th, 2008 at 06:17pm
So we're thinking about switching from TWLOHA to The Samaritans, since they're much more direct

That is if we go through with the idea