Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys

AuthorMessage
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
January 2nd, 2011 at 01:13am
AdrenalineRevolver:
Agh, it said nothing about the jeans.

But still, good to know that it's pointless to go looking for that jacket. I'll have to find one and alter it. Thanks for the link. I SHALL KEEP SEARCHING.
awww, dangit! I don't remember where I read it. I swore it was an MTV article.
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
January 2nd, 2011 at 02:16am
Y'know, I just realized, I have no idea who the hell Show Pony is. I mean, I know it's the dude in the tights/skates/helmet/thong at the beginning of na na na, but WHO is he? What purpose does he serve in the Dangerverse?
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
January 2nd, 2011 at 07:46am
AdrenalineRevolver:
Y'know, I just realized, I have no idea who the hell Show Pony is. I mean, I know it's the dude in the tights/skates/helmet/thong at the beginning of na na na, but WHO is he? What purpose does he serve in the Dangerverse?

That's something I hope they'll answer soon. I'm curious about him and I wish there was more of him in the videos.
Evil_Alice
Motor Baby
Evil_Alice
January 2nd, 2011 at 06:17pm
I bet even they don't know who he is. They seem to be just making a lot of this shit up as they go along...and it's really fucking awesome.
CupcakeSuicide
Thinking Happy Thoughts
CupcakeSuicide
January 2nd, 2011 at 06:37pm
I always thought he was like a messenger. He brings information to Dr. Death Defying, that's why he skates through the zones. He also brought him the vinyl record, so he might also do that?
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
January 2nd, 2011 at 06:50pm
i think he might have more a role in the comic books than in the mindfuck
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
January 2nd, 2011 at 10:54pm
Or perhaps he's just there to add some color and weirdness.
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
January 2nd, 2011 at 11:33pm
So, I came up with a new theory regarding the dangerverse. I came up with it in a dream, but others have deemed it interesting.

Basically, it's that if the guys were killed at the end of Sing, perhaps they can be brought back to life through technology, and chips in their brains that can be programmed to make them do anything, including (what happened in my dream) making them destroy each other.

And perhaps The Little Girl has the power to wipe the brainwashing through music? Maybe kind of like a sonic blast.
Chew on that for a little while.
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
January 3rd, 2011 at 01:11am
Ooh, I like that. I'd figured that they're not really dead. They looked pretty damn dead at the end of Na Na Na, but weren't. I'm sure they're not deaddums.

A theory that a friend and I came up with is that they weren't using actually bullets or rays in that gunfight. They were using electrical charges, which is why no one seemed worried about hitting the little girl.

There was also no blood on the wall behind Poison after he got shot. We think that they were all knocked out and will now be brainwashed. Just another theory.
StillNoUsername
Killjoy
StillNoUsername
January 3rd, 2011 at 04:37am
Hey guys not to ruin the flow here but I was wondering where in the boards the album is being discussed musically? Has it kind of halted? I'm super depressed about this album so I was wondering if anyone else feels that way. For the most part I guess anyone that agrees with me has stopped getting on the fansites but I'm lurking trying to find out if I'm the majority or the minority, I'm interested in the consensus
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
January 3rd, 2011 at 08:00am
StillNoUsername:
Hey guys not to ruin the flow here but I was wondering where in the boards the album is being discussed musically? Has it kind of halted? I'm super depressed about this album so I was wondering if anyone else feels that way. For the most part I guess anyone that agrees with me has stopped getting on the fansites but I'm lurking trying to find out if I'm the majority or the minority, I'm interested in the consensus

This thread is both for music and theories.

For the record, no I don't feel that way. I love the songs, and the only thing I don't like about it is the order which they come in. But that's just me, and I can always put it on "shuffle."

I understand that a lot of fans don't like how much "pop" influenced the album, and how it's not as dark as their older stuff. As much as I like and enjoy darker music, there are other bands I listen to that still sing about that kind of thing. And I actually love msuic with synth, so I was actually overjoyed when they said they used synth on this album.
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
January 3rd, 2011 at 09:23pm
What I like about this album is that in my opinion, they are able to do something completely different, without losing who they are. There's a lot of musical elements that are still them, even if they've added a pop-like vibe. And the lyrics hold deep meaning that rings true, in every album, to me.

What I think is that they took pop, and synth, and electronic stuff and used it in a way that kind of says they're rebelling against that by using it.
CupcakeSuicide
Thinking Happy Thoughts
CupcakeSuicide
January 3rd, 2011 at 09:25pm
Writer Renegade:
What I like about this album is that in my opinion, they are able to do something completely different, without losing who they are. There's a lot of musical elements that are still them, even if they've added a pop-like vibe. And the lyrics hold deep meaning that rings true, in every album, to me.

What I think is that they took pop, and synth, and electronic stuff and used it in a way that kind of says they're rebelling against that by using it.
I agree. It also makes the album more futuristic, which is a sound they've said they wanted to achieve, since the concept is a transmission from a pirate radio station in 2019.
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
January 3rd, 2011 at 09:33pm
I think I'll put in my two cents.

While I agree that the album has a lot of pop vibes, it fits the overall message of the album. The songs are, as I've always said, (back before I discovered INO and debated on the youtube comments page of the Art Is the Weapon video), the killjoys are merely a snapshot of rebellion. MCR has always written about real things, just with extended metaphors intended to both separate themselves from the reality of what's happening, but to theatricize it (dunno if that's a word, but it works). Gerard even said in an interview, that Na Na Na specifically is a snapshot of the rebellious attitude.

While making the album, MCR made a lot of rules for themselves. They didn't want harmonizing vocals, synths, etc. They created the first album as a reaction, a rebellion against everything they had done before, and then Danger Days as a rebellion against the rules they had created for themselves. They are using the killjoys as the characters of the metaphor; they're the ones rebelling, and they're telling their story through music that appropriately fits their medium, which is the music style in 2019. It's intended to reach a lot of people to sign them up for the killjoy rebellion. It's going to be more pop, to appeal to a wider audience.

Now, that's not saying that MCR is a pop band now, or that they're trying to appeal to more people. The music style is part of the metaphor. And Gerard has said before that the killjoys aren't necessarily the good guys. If you wanted to, you could say that BL/ind are the good guys for wanting to make everyone safe. If you wanted to, you could interpret the album as being a satire of pop music altogether. The point of the album is to let you decide for yourself what you stand for. Like all good art, Danger Days and the entire Dangerverse is intended to make you think.

That is my two cents.
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:18pm
I feel like if people are disliking the album so much, isn't that part of the point? You're supposed to rebel, take new steps, find new areas. Accepting the new sound is a part of that.
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:44pm
I think it's kind of like, they're taking something "safe" (pop is pretty mainstream now) and making it dangerous.
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
January 4th, 2011 at 12:44pm
OMG I totally found the perfect killjoy jacket at Plato's yesterday. Yay! *victory dance*
The Lunacy Phringe
Bleeding on the Floor
The Lunacy Phringe
January 4th, 2011 at 06:48pm
From a musical point of view, this album is by far the best.
It's no longer a case of Ray leading the show with one riff, Frank playing another riff and Mikey stuck with nothing to do but play Frank's parts because the sound is too fat for the bass to stand out. That was almost the entirety, if not all, of Revenge. A lot of Black Parade was like that too (Sharpest Lives was interesting along with Wolves). Bullets was interesting since for the majority of the time there was only one guitar, and bits Mikey threw into Cubicles and Monroeville away from the guitar parts were quite cool.

I listened to "Black Dragon Fighting Society" which was supposed to be on the 4th album, and Mikey gets a chance for a bass solo, and what does he do? He plays the same fucking note over and over.. It seemed to be that it was drilled into his head that Ray and Frank were the leaders and he wasn't allowed to stand out. Honestly I hated the guy as a bassist. Yes, he may be the reason I started playing bass in the first place, but after I heard other bassists I realised he was pretty shit. Now, before anyone comes along and says something like "ZOMG FUCK YOU MIKEY IS TEH EPIC SEX!!", look at this from a musical point of view.. He was using a bass to play parts already there from the guitar. Yes, that's appropriate in some situations, but he was doing it for every fucking song...

Now, Danger Days is a different story. Planetary Go has the best bass line he's ever written (although tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Ray wrote it for him... lol) and frankly it takes a very good bassist to be able to do all that octave jumping. The bridges in "The Only Hope For Me is You" and "Bulletproof Heart" have basslines which are at the standard of Jeph Howard from The Used. In fact the bass in the bridge in "TOHFMIY" bears a striking resemblance to part of The Used song "Hard to Say" but that's just my opinion. In Summertime he isn't just playing the guitar parts, he's doing certain parts an octave higher. In The Kids From Yesterday he's started using a distortion pedal.

Of course all that goes down the drain when we discover they're using backing tracks for their gigs and not actually playing their shit live, but that's another rant...
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 4th, 2011 at 06:52pm
^^ I think Mikey also said that it was the first album he stepped away from following the guitars and going out on his own and doing his own things and writing different parts.

I love the poppy synth of this album, so so so much. I love synth, and I'm glad that my favorite band has embraced it lmao
The Lunacy Phringe
Bleeding on the Floor
The Lunacy Phringe
January 4th, 2011 at 07:39pm
CupcakeSuicide:
When Gerard tweeted the picture of Party Poison in a body bag he said "KILLJOYS NEVER DIE." That has to be some sort of hint.

I know this post was almost 2 months ago but when I saw it I just couldn't resist. Mr. Green

"KILLJOYS NEVER DIE, THEY'RE JUST MISSING IN ACTION."

High Five to anyone who knows what I'm referencing here. Wink