Don't have an account? Create one!

Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys

AuthorMessage
Draco Malfoy.
Motor Baby
Draco Malfoy.
February 19th, 2011 at 08:15am
quiet knees;:
I don't think there's any such thing as a "sell out," and if there is My Chemical Romance is not anywhere close to being a sell out. So having your music on popular shows is being a sell out? If they were sell outs, they wouldn't give a shit about the kids who listen to their music, and only care about the money. And I can not think of one time where they did something just for the money.

I couldn't agree more Smile
Some people just judge, without knowing the slightest thing about a musician/band, just to sound 'oh so important' and opinionated, y'know?
Everything they've done has just really been a risk which they've benefited from in the long run. At least they've taken the risk, and that's one of the most admirable things, because they've been doing what they've wanted all along.
They haven't let themselves become generic/ mediocre over the years.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
February 19th, 2011 at 10:23am
I know, I hate when people judge an artist before really getting to know them. That goes for people who think they do everything for money, think they're a cult, etc. They didn't even take the time to learn about them or anything, the least people could do is appriciate that they are creative enough to come up with these concepts. But some people hate them because it's the "cool" thing to do, which is kind of... well, stupid. People should like whatever they like and be themselves, there is nothing wrong with that. And if people don't like it, well then they can just fuck off.

I always hate when people complain and say "Oh, they've changed." Well, yeah, they changed. Don't you change in four years? It's really not that big of a deal. If you like their old music, but not their new music- don't sit there and complain about it, it's not like they erased their old music off the face of the planet. You can still listen to it.

/I sound angry, lol i'm not angry
M.I.
Killjoy
M.I.
February 20th, 2011 at 11:05am
Well I can understand why people would complain about not liking their new music. They wanted NEW music to listen to from the band that they actually liked. Just like every other fan. It's fine to complain about change. If you don't like the change they made, why not express that? Every change isn't a good one. I love the album but I can understand why people wouldn't. I have to skip Sing every time I listen to the album because it's just so cheesy and it would be the one of the only examples someone could use for saying they sold out lol. This semitechno/electronic sound they're going with isn't a new sound. There's no "risk" in it because it's a popular "genre" that has already succeeded. It's good music but they're doing what everyone else is doing at the moment. I honestly think their 1st attempt at the album would have been more interesting judging by the EP. I get this "I know I heard this somewhere before" feeling when listening to the album which I hate, but eh. People who blindly hate the band suck, but people who pretend everything the band does is golden are even worse. Pretending to know the motives behind a band is just silly. Especially with a band like MCR. They change their reasons and explanations as soon as they move on to a new album and it never really feels like the BAND has a voice. Sounds like Gerard just spewing his own feelings and excuses. I love this band but I can admit they have flaws. Instead of trying to defend everything they do, try to understand WHY anybody could have negative feelings towards them.
littlejeka
Generation Nothing
littlejeka
February 20th, 2011 at 12:14pm
It's only new because they are doing it, not beacause everyone else is doing it. It's a new sound to them. They tried new sounds and new equipment.
As for their songs being cheesey? I think each and every song has a meaning behind it. It isn't randomly lyrics. And to me, it is a risk, they tried a different sound than the original one. The knew some fans would not like it, and some fans would, thus, it was a risk that they chose. Everyone is still caught up in their old albums, I think this new album just shows how different they can be. And I think most fans are just pretending to like whatever they do, I think these fans genuinely love the idea of Danger Days. I know I do, I love it that Gerard's thinking is way different in the new album. And they do have an explanation for every album, that's like changing a whole new era in their lives, and they express by making music. And I can too admit they have flaws. And I understand your reasoning, but I feel like your just looking at this album as just all around negative, and not really giving anything positive, especially since you love them.
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
February 20th, 2011 at 05:07pm
M.I.:
Well I can understand why people would complain about not liking their new music. They wanted NEW music to listen to from the band that they actually liked.

Fine, I buy that but you are forgetting one basic fact - no band, whether you love them or not, whether they be your favourite band, will ever actually owe you anything. They don't have to please you. They don't need your approval. It's all very well talking about the album you would have preferred them to make, but that's not what they wanted and it's not what they did. So while liking or disliking something is entirely your prerogative, coming on all 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' about the album you would have made is pointless.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
February 21st, 2011 at 10:22am
I agree with Jeka and Touching Hands (sorry I don't know your name lol). It's a risk because it's new to them, and it could have failed miserably. Which it didn't, but it was a risk because it was something that was completely ~unexpected of them to do. I do like their MGAMK EP, but I like Danger Days even more.

And Touching Hands is completely right about how the band shouldn't have to owe their fans anything. The music they make is generally for themselves, and if someone else likes it that's awesome. That's normally what almost every band I listen to says.

And I can accept that they have flaws. I don't understand why you think that just because we have opposing views mean that we are "defending" them. We are just stating our opinions. We're not trying to attack anybody.
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
February 21st, 2011 at 08:55pm
Now, some may say that I'm looking too much into it. However, I believe that the boys spent a huge amount of time preparing the California 2019 box sets, especially considering that they come with "bad luck beads", which mean something to them, but we don't really know anything about them. And because Gerard pays so much attention to how he writes his lyrics, blah blah blah. Anyway.

Now, when you get the box set, and take the plastic off from around it, you're like YAY OMG KILLJOYS LOOK AT THE SPIDER OH YEA. But then you take the sleeve off, and the box is completely BL/ind. Logos and slogans everywhere, and on the back it has a product description of the gun.

Now, what if this is like a symbol of who the killjoys are? Right now, at the beginning of the killjoy story, it's all colorful and beautiful and fun. Then you take off the thin outer layer and everything else is in-your-face, monocromatic, packaging. When the boys reveal more of the killjoy's story, their "intimate past" with Korse, and we find out that the killjoys "aren't nice people", and they're actually unknowingly helping BL/ind?

I read a blog about how the counter-culture actually fuels consumerism. Here's the link: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/04/12/selling-out/

So, there's my killjoys-are-actually-BLI-agents theory.
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
February 22nd, 2011 at 02:06am
That.....is the most FASCINATING theory I've heard yet....
BornToQuit
Joining The Black Parade
BornToQuit
February 25th, 2011 at 02:35pm
At first I thought that the CA2019 packaging was in reverse, y'know to symbolise BLI censoring all the killjoy stuff from the outside but yeah, I think the way it's been packaged definately means something.

Dull Shrubs is onto something, I believe or at least noticed something very important. After all, without BLI there'd be no Killjoys and without the Killjoys then why would they need all these exterminators and dracs?
I mean, you see in Na Na Na although the Killjoys 'hack' the venindg machine they do seem to exist on most of the BLI stuff and with the guns, most likey modify them themselves.
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
February 25th, 2011 at 09:11pm
I'm starting to think that I was initially wrong.

I mean, the guys can't put THAT much thought and planning into the story, right? They're making it up as they go along, right?

I think the packaging just means that the killjoys take BLI stuff and make it their own. And the fact that killjoys aren't nice people just means that they do bad stuff to achieve their goals.
like killing people and stealing. stuff like that.

so, i'm not going to renounce my theory, because i still think it's possible, but i don't think it's as likely as i initially thought.
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
February 25th, 2011 at 09:15pm
also:

BeastxInxRepose:
Obviously nothing is final, this is a blurb from an interview I'm reading: Very Happy

Chelsea: Music videos have always been a very important part of My Chemical Romance’s visual element and often carry on a story with each album’s singles, but your characters died at the end of the last video; are you planning a come back for them now or doing something different?

Gerard: Well we are going to take a break from the story for a bit until it feels like we got to the song that makes the most sense to do the last part. To me it feels like ‘Only Hope (For Me Is You)’ is the best one to do for the last part of the video so when we get there…I have lots of ideas but I like to keep it loose and I don’t over think it. I like to finalize things a week before, sometimes day of.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
February 25th, 2011 at 11:13pm
Only Hope would seemingly fit, but idk how they're going to fit the past with Korse and whatnot into a 4 min something song. Sue me, I don't know how long it is... but like they said they wanted to show their past and whatnot and finish it off... and idg how they'd fit it in one.
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
February 26th, 2011 at 04:14pm
They could always do what Gaga did: take a regular length song and turn it into a 13 minute video.
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
February 28th, 2011 at 11:16pm
RiotRaze
Killjoy
RiotRaze
March 1st, 2011 at 02:34am
No, you're right! I don't think it's a coincidence. In the listening party, Dr. Death Defying mentions after Destroya and before mentioning the Helium Wars, 'Last time I heard a bomb drop like that, we lost Texas!' Then he goes on to talk about the Helium Wars, and how that's when he hurt his leg. But that's not much to go on without this fact: A lot of the world's helium is distributed from Texas! So yes, the guys really DO know what they're on about!

And as for the Killjoys not being good people, I believe that's because they're doing half of BL/Ind's work for them: every time they blow up a building, ghost a Draculoid, even something as small as vandalise the city or raid a vending machine, they're turning the citizens of Battery City more and more against them. BL/Ind don't even have to LIE to show them in a bad light.
Evil_Alice
Motor Baby
Evil_Alice
March 1st, 2011 at 09:02pm
^ but popularity doesn't necessarily equate with righteousness...idk. I think it's probably safe to just take it on its most simplistic level and say it's just the method. Their hearts are pure, but the violence is bad. I love your theory, RiotRaze, and the others that have been bandied about the web, but that to me just seems interpretation of art. True on a theoretical level but on a practical level not - if you accept multiple layers of truth. Okay I'm just rambling now so I'm gonna leave it at that. My two cents.

Wow, it's crazy about the helium. Sounds like one of the guys spends far too much time looking at 'things you didn't know' lists on the internet...not that that's a bad thing. Hurrah for late-night Wikipedia marathons.
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
March 1st, 2011 at 09:05pm
nah, a lot of people religiously read Cracked.com lists
and a killjoy just happened to read it, connect the dots, do some more research, and then post it on the internet.

the collective intelligence of the internet will solve this new mindfuck that has arisen!
Royal.Boom
Killjoy
Royal.Boom
March 2nd, 2011 at 02:33am
I am one of those Cracked religious readers. It was actually bit startling to have that exact list pulled up in one tab, then come here and find that exact same thing being discussed. I had to pinch myself, just to check.

The collective intelligence of the Internet.....I thought that was an oxymoron?
diagonal prayers
Bulletproof Heart
diagonal prayers
March 2nd, 2011 at 03:57pm
Royal.Boom:
The collective intelligence of the Internet.....I thought that was an oxymoron?
the collective intelligence and collective idiocy of the internet exist in duality.
RiotRaze
Killjoy
RiotRaze
March 4th, 2011 at 12:46am
The internet is just like real life, motorbaby: once you sort out the blind idiots, you get a large group of very intelligent and very capable people.