Don't have an account? Create one!

Health and Fitness Thread

AuthorMessage
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
April 5th, 2016 at 11:35pm
sad savior;:
I'm glad you've been doing it Carrie! My ankle was worse the last few days, it hurts to put weight on it so I'm still being lazy. I'm going back to the doctor soon hopefully to see if I can be put back on meds for my PCOS. I'm having symptoms I used to have years ago before I was diagnosed including weight gain. But also other things.
What is PCOS? And all the best. Hopefully doc can help but just take rest, ice it maybe and well yeah, anti inflammatories and keep it elevated isnt there an acronym. Rice rest, ice, compression, elevation, I think.
best!

Been putting off my workouts. Now my stomach aches again, but in this case, workout might help. Just feeling unmotivated, but I should doit and feel better!

edit: did A workout. Starting with an old video I had because the PC wasn't available, then combined some Jillian exercises after that. Feeling great! (but that was an interesting workout Razz)
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
April 6th, 2016 at 12:17pm
Thanks Carrie! PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome and it affects your metabolism and your insulin levels which can lead to several things like weight gain or holding on to excess weight, infertility, fatigue, etc
Obviously I don't know about the infertility thing for me yet lol but I have been having symptoms like I had before I was diagnosed, like the excess weight thing and the fatigue and some other things. I'm hoping I can get put back on the medicine to regulate it.
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
April 17th, 2016 at 01:12am
sad savior;:
Thanks Carrie! PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome and it affects your metabolism and your insulin levels which can lead to several things like weight gain or holding on to excess weight, infertility, fatigue, etc
Obviously I don't know about the infertility thing for me yet lol but I have been having symptoms like I had before I was diagnosed, like the excess weight thing and the fatigue and some other things. I'm hoping I can get put back on the medicine to regulate it.

heya! I read this like forever ago, just was waiting until i actually got my butt moving before I posted. Sorry about that hun. I have thyroid issues myself. Kinda similar. But awe, it's too bad the symptoms are returning for you. Actually, I hope it has gotten under control by the time you read this.

I did (what is this 5 now?) workout level 1, 5th time, day (like 20something hahaha i forget...that's actually why I came back here!)

this time, maybe increased weights some? started 5lbs, went to 3lb, and 1lbs
pushups a bit easier
endurance was shit due to ___(i just can't bring myself to call it as you folks do here Razz)
breaking a sweat near the end.
overall, pretty good, considering everything (__ plus not working out for like a week)

yaaaay! Wink

edit: workout 5, day 19 (omg! Razz) ok, so I finished __ right before starting this workout and __ is already back??!!! Clap (total sarcasm! hehe)
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
May 5th, 2016 at 02:58pm
Me again! Just thought, since I've already started, I'd continue noting my days that I work out. I did one two days back (after a two week hiatus *rolls eyes), and I'm supposed to do it today. eh, I don't feel like it...but I better. Gotta think how I miss out on my "days" every month so...better get my ass moving. Literally!

Month 2 Now (day 3-1 down)

um workout 1 I switched between 5lbs and 3lbs. and I even forgot to use weights for the chest flyes at first. (my chest muscles atrophied??? because I felt weak...or maybe it was poor endurance. Could only do like 4 pushups at a time. :/)
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
May 7th, 2016 at 09:52pm
Alright... since I hurt my ankle I haven't really worked out at all. I think I did the 30 Day Shred like once or twice since then. But my ankle has been feeling much better so I went ahead and did some cardio on the treadmill tonight.
But I ate wayyyy too much today at our crawfish boil and I was only able to do about 20 minutes before I had to stop because I thought I was gonna vomit. I had been pushing through it but I just couldn't go any longer without throwing up lol.
In reality I honestly probably didn't eat THAT much over my calorie limit. Definitely since I've lost weight my stomach has shrunk and I eat a lot less food than I used to.

Anyway there's a girl I follow on instagram who does these cool treadmill workouts. They're fun and almost like dancing instead of running. So that's what I did tonight and it really got me sweating!

P.S. - I read something once about if you want to lose weight, you can't think like an overweight person being deprived from your favorite things. You have to think like a thin person whose favorite things are the healthy things that way you don't feel like you're being tortured while resisting the bad stuff.
It always reminds me of a Cary Grant quote from North by Northwest... "Put a note on my desk in the morning: think thin!"
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
May 9th, 2016 at 09:41pm
I think I've hit a plateau. Both mentally and physically. I feel like I've been fighting the 180's for a couple months now. I had hit my lowest on the 30th... 181.8. This was though, after I'd gone for a walk, trained, and eaten nothing but 1 container of yogurt. So I knew it wasn't fully accurate, but it was only about half a pound off from that morning.

And since then, I've been struggling to get away from 184. I know a lot of it is mental. After that low, I went out to dinner with my sister, and ate a lot. Probably wouldn't have been a big deal if I hadn't come home and had dessert. And two days later, I decided to buy a ton of sweets from the bakery section of the grocery store, and ate them that night. So all this past week, I was trying to be really good, and I didn't get anywhere near there. Then yesterday was another bust because of a familly dinner, and I came home and let myself eat things I shouldn't have eaten.

So yeah, I know most of it's mental and impulse control. But I do think it might be more since the week was so unproductive despite doing what I was supposed to do.

I hope this week goes better. I want to get out of the 180's. I promised myself I could have pizza and watch Deadpool when I do.

And even more desperately want to get down to 140, and at this rate, I won't get there by November like I had hoped.
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
May 10th, 2016 at 12:32pm
The same thing happened to me back in the fall, Becca. And I just let myself go for quite a while... like several months. I gained back like 5 pounds. But mentally I was just drained and I was going everything right for like two months and not seeing any progress and it was so frustrating. Honestly if you need that time to just get away from it all then take it. I wish I wouldn't have been so lenient with everything I was eating and stuff but I'm glad that I gave myself time to mentally recharge. Yeah my weight loss would have been faster probably but slow and steady wins the race...and keeps the weight off in the long run.
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
May 10th, 2016 at 04:11pm
Well I feel like it's borderline binge eating. When I to not count one day, I usually go crazy on the sweets and junk food. A lot of the time it's because I can't decide so I just want a lot of things. Like on Sunday I went to the store for a pint of ice cream, but I also bought banana bread. So I pretty much undo the week, and I think that's a bad place to be mentally. I'm still letting food have control.
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
May 13th, 2016 at 08:51am
Possibly doing better. Also, every time a craving hits, I'm starting to just repeat to myself "this too shall pass" to remind myself I won't have the same craving later.

Although now that I'm going better, I've started to wonder. I'm fitting a size 14 pants pretty perfectly right now. And I have a concert outfit planned for a month from now. What are the chances those pants will be too big. I could conceivably lose 10 lbs by then. Probably not, especially with uncle Frank due before then, and hopefully a pizza night.
But still. I want to lose weight, but at the same time, I want to get use of this outfit.
First world problems, I know
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
May 21st, 2016 at 02:22am
Razz
I haven't checked this in awhile apparently!
Becca, about the eating a lot of things...ok, well there are a few things that need considering, but the general thing I heard was that one should (well, obviously eat balanced meals BUT) not eat a lot of different foods at once. like, one shouldn't have so many flavors going on so that one wants more of this and more of that, oh and also some of that....like just a few types of food and then eat till full and not more (well, sometimes you need a treat Wink)

but, I think that is one helpful tip for control....it should be more the types of food, rather than the calorie count...of course i know counting is important too and specific to your plan there.

um...but for me. gah, like Hollie is saying, sometimes you just need a mental break...well, I haven't needed a break...i am just lazy...nay, distracted...but I DO try to do some kindof mvoing activity if not that 30day shred. uhhhh but yeah,

I NEED A SCALE!!! I really have no clue and while I've been pretty regular at doctor's checkups (was going evry few months for awhile) well...it has been awhile now...and honestly, i can't even remember the number...maybe i'm like 179 idk. I always wanted to be at 140 too and then I got down to like 161 once??? and then it all came back and hasn't really gone. I feel more fit, but i still haven't checked the scale. idk!

so there's that Wink (oh wait, that's Jeka's line. Wink)

oh, and to Hollie: haven't watched those videos, but I did see one by....forget her name. but yeah, those treadmill workouts can be great! just put on some good jams and make up your own stuff too after awhile!
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
May 24th, 2016 at 10:15am
Had another setback this weekend.
Undoing it.

But just another reminder that I hate the feeling of being full. It's a horrible feeling
roseieroway
Salute You in Your Grave
roseieroway
May 24th, 2016 at 11:59am
i hula-hoop for exercise
fire at will.
Damned After All
fire at will.
May 30th, 2016 at 05:55pm
So, recently, I have been super motivated to lose weight and I can see a difference.
I've been going to the gym regularly and eating better/not as much (portion control, i guess)
and in the past week and a half, i've managed to lose 5lbs, of which i'm extremely proud of.
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
May 30th, 2016 at 06:23pm
That's great, Jenni! One you start seeing results on the regular it's so amazing.
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
June 1st, 2016 at 04:27pm
finally got my ass moving again!

Shred Level 2: 3lb weights all around, but this is easier to keep track of now.
-could actually feel my rear delts this time,
-uh, but I must be stressed because the workout and subsequent hamstring stretches (still doing them) are like finally losening up these tight muscles...still stressed tho! hehe
-pushups getting easier?/arms stronger?
-but I was stopping and starting the workouts today (didn't have to do this as much before hmm)

I think I'm gonna have to start doing this daily now to decrease this stress level and keep from making the "every other day" to like every other week. I'm terrible. Razz

I just hate sweating all over my clean hair though! haha #can't win ^^
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
June 1st, 2016 at 04:31pm
oh! haha i was going to weigh myself at my folks (they have a scale)...but of course I forgot!

aiming to eat more veggies, especially green veggies, but last night's pasta meal+cheese (although worth it to my taste buds) was really not good.

ok, time to go feed the beast (eh, i just mean i've gotta cook and eventually eat. hehe)
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
June 8th, 2016 at 01:21am
level 3...for the first time apparently

i'm dying!!! ugh!
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
June 8th, 2016 at 07:24pm
Woah awesome Carrie! I haven't ever gotten to level three so good on you! <3

I roller skates for the first time in like 10 years this weekend. And failed miserably. I fell pretty hard on my side which triggered a few days of really bad migraines for me. So today I finally felt up to working out again and it was awesome! I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and I jogged for a good portion of it. I also did some lunges on the treadmill (the only way I don't hate lunges with every fiber of my soul). I'm totally drenched in sweat but that also has to do with the fact that the treadmill is in the garage and it's summer in the Deep South lol.
fire at will.
Damned After All
fire at will.
June 10th, 2016 at 11:59pm
So, I've been super unmotivated lately and haven't been going to the gym as much as I would like to.
But it's only because my depression is slowly starting to creep back in and it's leaving me physically and emotionally exhausted.
But I'm trying to soldier on and get my ass back on track.
I'm still trying to control what I eat but lately it's been hard bc I just want to devour everything.
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
June 12th, 2016 at 04:47pm
exercise helps with warding off depression. speaking of, yes I had to do that the other day and just dove into that level 3...eh, not ideal after being out of it for so long, but well it wasn't as bad as I thought...but two days later, I literally could not do one oblique crunch was still in muscle recovery there! Razz

but...maybe i'll try to "soldier on" as Jenni puts it, for today cuz i kinda should get out of my head...then again, I am "recovering from stomachache" hehe nah seriously, it was hurting bad this morning, and the heat really does not do me good.

oh, Hollie! I would hate it if my treadmill was in the garage! put it in the basement hun! gee! lol awe man! I seriously can't even....i hate this heat! Sad (i know! it's not even as hot as a lot of people have it too! but i still hate it!)