Don't have an account? Create one!

Illegal Downloading

AuthorMessage
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 30th, 2007 at 07:10pm
^It's not whining, Billions of dollors are lost in the music industry each year because of piracy.
Serious Business
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Serious Business
August 30th, 2007 at 09:48pm
If I was an artist, I would hate the fact that I did'nt earn anything from all my hard work.
Okay, I do have a couple of ilegal tracks on my computer, but I try to keep away from it.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
August 31st, 2007 at 12:50am
^To be fair, illegal downloading doesn't mean artists earn nothing. They still get money from shows and merch, plus there are always loyal fans who buy in stores.
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
September 2nd, 2007 at 06:11pm
I think the argument "Because CDs can be too expensive" is something that I see coming out of a spoiled childs mouth. Im sorry if that offends anyone but I just think it's a real small minded thing to say.
If you dont get that CD it isnt gunna hurt you and you can always save up for it.
A CD is a luxury, there are pletty of people in third world contries that are desperate to get much simpler stuff like food and clean water.
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
September 2nd, 2007 at 06:17pm
If you don't pay for CDs, not only are you hurting the artist and the record label but the entire industry. Big artists like MCR who sell a lot of CDs help pay for new bands who don't break even. The reason labels aren't signing new, good music is because there isn't enough money to go around. If you're going to sink 3 million pounds/dollars into something, what would you spend money on; the act you know will sell a million records (Linkin Park, Madonna, etc) or a new act that is a gamble? If you want music not to suck anymore than BUY CDS FROM ARTISTS YOU LIKE! It encourages companies to spend more on rock and sign more rock acts. The reason rock blows is because it is the genre of music that sells the least. Hip Hop sells a load of records because most people don't download it. So SAVE ROCK AND ROLL AND BUY CDS!!!!
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
September 2nd, 2007 at 07:59pm
MarioGirl:
I think the argument "Because CDs can be too expensive" is something that I see coming out of a spoiled childs mouth. Im sorry if that offends anyone but I just think it's a real small minded thing to say.
If you dont get that CD it isnt gunna hurt you and you can always save up for it.
A CD is a luxury, there are pletty of people in third world contries that are desperate to get much simpler stuff like food and clean water.

I am a bit offended. Spoiled? CDs are too expensive because I need to buy gas, clothes, and a fair bit of my own food. I have to save up for a new computer in a year, and if not my own car to get myself to and from college, then all the lovely fees that come with living at school. And I like to go to the movies every once in a while and treat my friends. It would be great to be able to support my favorite bands all the time, and I do when I can, but I haven't always got twenty dollars lying around, and when I do, I have to use it on things other than whatever CD I want - essentials most times; not luxuries. Just because my parents don't give me pocket money and I can only work so much doesn't mean I shouldn't get to listen to music. No, I won't die, but I like music as much as anybody, and it's nice to have a few new songs occasionally.
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
September 3rd, 2007 at 04:01pm
Im not talking about just a few songs im talking about whole albums I dont agree with people downloading.
I get what your saying about having other payments to make but I still don't agree with it.
I have a lot of other things I need to pay for as well which makes getting a CD rare and I know tonnes of other people in the same situation but none of them use illegal downloading yet still we keep up to date with music.
And I am sorry if I offended you that was not the intent.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
September 3rd, 2007 at 07:51pm
I don't think illegal dowloading is right, I just don't think it's exactly wrong, either. CD prices are getting a little ridiculous, and all the artists are claiming they're in it for the love, not the money. Maybe if I better understood all the fees of the industry prices would seem more justified, but ATM it just seems like kind of a rip off.
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
September 3rd, 2007 at 08:05pm
It's like the more people download illegally the highier the prices of the CDs get to make up for the loss cash but people dont want to spend the money so it's really a case of catch 22.
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
September 4th, 2007 at 12:53pm
I think that illegal downloading is wrong, but it doesn't mean people are going to stop doing it. Besides, it's much more conveienant than wasting money on a CD that you could have used on something much more important.
It's true that bands are probably mad that they don't make anything, but there's plenty of people that still buy CDs. It's not as if they're not making money. People buy their merchandise and go to their concerts. It's not like you can download those.
musicmad93
Killjoy
musicmad93
October 26th, 2007 at 04:09pm
i think downloading is good for the purpose of getting into bands and trying out different types and after that u buy the cds and the merch and go to their concerts so a couple of free songs pay for themselves when u think about it after u realy like them as in obsessivly like me with mcr
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 26th, 2007 at 04:53pm
^^ Yeah, I think it's good to download a few tracks of certain bands to see if you like them or not, so you don't waste £10 on an album you won't like.

But if you're gonna do that, you might as well download the whole album.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
October 26th, 2007 at 05:07pm
I'm not a downloading fan, I don't have a problem with people downloading its just not something I would do myself.
Music stores are being closed down because so many people are downloading nowadays which i don't like, I love browsing through music stores but now the ones around where i live keep closing down due to not making enough money which sucks. Also as bands can't get enough money from their album sales they are pressured to tour their arses off until they can't stand being with each other, just so they can pay for music video production, recording time and all of the other stuff which comes with being a band.

I don't like that some tracks are now only availiable for downloading, like some b sides and covers and stuff, thats what i find most annoying.

But yeah if people are only downloading a few tracks then yeah fine but whole albums? thats hardly fair on the band and their record company.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
October 26th, 2007 at 09:38pm
to be honest i don't see an issue with downloading anymore because so many people do now, and sometimes even artists themselves -- in interviews they are asked if they have ever done it nowadays.
if CDs weren't so goddamn expensive, then maybe i won't be downloading. but regardless...
Fading Sanity
Bleeding on the Floor
Fading Sanity
October 26th, 2007 at 10:23pm
~I think downloading is ok if you heard a song from a band and you want to find out if you like them. Because if you go out and buy their record and you don't like it, you just wasted that money. Like, at first I downloaded mcr's albums to find out if I liked them, when I found out I did, I went out and bought them all.

All and all I think it's great for sampling music on a budget, but not for all of your music. Besides, hunting down the albums is half the fun!
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
October 27th, 2007 at 11:26pm
^Thing is, most bands have a myspace in which you can sample their songs, why download them illegally when you can do that just as easily?
Morrigan
Killjoy
Morrigan
October 28th, 2007 at 07:16am
I am a sad Broke girl
so if I had to buy all the music I listen to I would have no music and that would be a sad sad thing
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 28th, 2007 at 12:08pm
I don't openly support illegal downloading, but I am not totally against it either.
In the words of Quinn Allman [he wrote it in a The Used myspace bulletin once], "Everyone is human, and humans illegally download stuff."

Which is true to a degree. Pretty much everyone I know downloads illegally, or has done in the past. And I have done it myself in the past. It is getting so hard to moniter programs such as LimeWire [although I hear that peer to peer downloading software is meant to be cracked down upon by authorities in the near future].

The way I see it, is that people these days are sick of paying up to $30 for a CD. And when you buy a CD, most of the money you pay is to cover the costs of the packaging of the CD, not the actual music itself!

It is also convenient for most people, especially those with broadband internet connections, because it literally takes a few minutes to download a music track.

But that doesn't mean that it is totally right. It is, in a way, cheating genuine musicians out of a portion of their royalties. Because when you think about it, say you download a whole album illegally - that artist is pretty much providing their hardwork and entertainment to you for free.

So I am kind of divided on this.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
October 28th, 2007 at 04:09pm
^ If people bought songs / albums online, they are usually much cheaper than buying the CD.
DAMAGECONTROL
Joining The Black Parade
DAMAGECONTROL
October 28th, 2007 at 07:30pm
I download songs myself, and if I think it's worth the money I'll go and buy the cd. But I don't have that much money that I can buy every cd that I like and that's why I download. If I didn't download then I would only have a couple cd's to listen to, and that's not enough for me since I'm addicted to music. And also most stores that sell cd's around here doesn't have alot of good stuff. They only have The Black Parade with MCR for an example. And buying stuff online costs loads. So no, I'm not against downloading but I think that you should try to buy the cd's too.