but

morally, I think it's fine.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 6th, 2007 at 01:40am
I buy a CD if I want the whole CD.
Otherwise I download.
I can't have Limewire or anything like that on my computer, so I download through Xanga sites and whatnot.
If I can't find it there, then I'll be the single song.
fallout vapor
Jazz Hands
fallout vapor
March 6th, 2007 at 02:21pm
I think it's fine. Most song writers/movie producers/program creators have more than enough money anyways. Your ten dollars won't help them anyways.
Kid Rock
Banned
Kid Rock
March 11th, 2007 at 08:41pm
I think that downloading music is a way to get a preview of the CD & the artist..Then if I really like the song and later the album I'll become a fan for life...What would you rather have the $15 from your debut album or all the money I will eventually spend on your music,merch,etc...
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
March 12th, 2007 at 02:29am
First, I think illegal downloading is wrong unless you plan to buy the music afterwards.

If you just burn your music and download it, it's terrible because people work hard to create it.
They deserve credit for their music. Period.
Magazine Sickness.
Killjoy
Magazine Sickness.
March 12th, 2007 at 04:44pm
ziggy stardust.:
First, I think illegal downloading is wrong unless you plan to buy the music afterwards.

If you just burn your music and download it, it's terrible because people work hard to create it.

firstly, shouldn't 'real' artists just be happy that so many people are listening to their music?

secondly, don't record companies take it in to account that people may download the music instead of buying it.

lastly, some people can't afford to shell out x number of dollars for a new CD.

---

most of the time, i only want one song so i download.
however, if i want the whole album, i buy it.
[like i did with john mayer's continuum.]
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
March 12th, 2007 at 04:52pm
katastrophe;:
ziggy stardust.:

firstly, shouldn't 'real' artists just be happy that so many people are listening to their music?

secondly, don't record companies take it in to account that people may download the music instead of buying it.

lastly, some people can't afford to shell out x number of dollars for a new CD.

---

most of the time, i only want one song so i download.
however, if i want the whole album, i buy it.
[like i did with john mayer's continuum.]

1. No, real musians deserve to get paid for what theyve done, its their right, they have to make a living out of it, who gives you the right to take that away from them?

2. Yes they do, thats why there are copyright laws, they also take it into account when the are signing new acts, you download all this rock stuff, they sign pop and hip hop acts

3. Ever thought of saving up for it? yeah, lifes hard isnt it? come on, its just a cd, if you dont have it then you not gonna die
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
March 13th, 2007 at 11:00am
Oh and from Miss Es blog

"First of all, you don't see many tours like this anymore. Big production, pyro, lighting... this tour is so expensive. If they break even on this tour, it'll be a miracle. Like, no joke, they are probably going to end up in the hole. Why don't you have great rock tours like this anymore? Because there is no money to put them on. Rock is the most downloaded genre of music. Rock is the genre with the lowest record sales. So most bands can't afford to have a huge tour like this. Its not the 80s anymore. No more GNR explosionfests. So when people say "downloading just hurts big labels and fuck them anyway" there is another example of how it actually hurts music fans and bands of all sizes. I'd LOVE to see more tours like this. Too bad that MCR and Fall Out Boy are the only rock acts that could afford to do it. The best AFI could do was trees. A7X? Smog machine. This is why I buy music even though I can get pretty much any CD I want for free. Because I want Jeffree to be able to afford pink glitter cannons."
folkin' around.
Salute You in Your Grave
folkin' around.
March 13th, 2007 at 12:47pm
I think its fine. I'm mean, well me for example. I download,
but also end up buying the cds anyways.
ComeOneComeAll
Fabulous Killjoy
ComeOneComeAll
March 13th, 2007 at 03:55pm
reign_in_pain:
I think it's fine. Most song writers/movie producers/program creators have more than enough money anyways. Your ten dollars won't help them anyways.

Well, after awhile, if everyone didnt have to pay, 10 dollars would grow to 10million....

But, I will admit, I do use LimeWire, but not anymore.
Magazine Sickness.
Killjoy
Magazine Sickness.
March 14th, 2007 at 02:14am
NIA.:

3. Ever thought of saving up for it? yeah, lifes hard isnt it? come on, its just a cd, if you dont have it then you not gonna die

^not an option for alot of kids.

but i'll admit, downloading costs can and will grow.
and does downloading include borrowing CDs?
we're pretty. odd.
Always Born a Crime
we're pretty. odd.
March 14th, 2007 at 05:06am
I recently got FrostWire on my computer and I must admit, it had saved me almost $1000 on CD's and in some cases, DVD's.

I personally find nothing wrong with downloading; when you buy a CD from a shop, the band/singer makes little money from it. They make their real money doing shows, gigs and selling merch.

Just like when you pay to see a movie, the money you spend goes to firstly, the cinema, then expences that the cinema pays to use the building and blah, blah, blah. Then, when the people in that movie get the little money that's left it has to be split up between EVERY SINGLE PERSON who worked on that movie.

I understand some people think it's wrong, but to me, it's normal. As that guy, MC Lars says, "Music was a product, now it is a service."
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
March 14th, 2007 at 09:08am
if i like a song a band sings i will download a couple of their other songs first so see if its worth the money to buy the album.

Hinder...worst mistake of my life.
44 bucks for one song i am now OVER.
YourStarlessEyes
Killjoy
YourStarlessEyes
March 25th, 2007 at 09:10pm
I think that there is nothing wrong with illegal downloading, but it is very hard to explain. Sad
Dude...Potatoes
Salute You in Your Grave
Dude...Potatoes
March 25th, 2007 at 09:34pm
my mom wont let me do anything with file sharing like lime wire i guess shes scared were gunna get caught so i use i-tunes but it gets really expensive after a while...
Catharsis
Jazz Hands
Catharsis
March 27th, 2007 at 02:15am
Illegal downloading is totally wrong.
In the end it is the bands thqt you love to listen to who are not going to be able to bring out new records and go on tour and play in your town, if you did in fact like those bands why would you wanna risk losing that.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
March 27th, 2007 at 03:29am
^Don't bands not really get a lot of revenue from CD sales? I always thought they got most of their money from touring and such.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
March 27th, 2007 at 04:28pm
Resurgam:
^Don't bands not really get a lot of revenue from CD sales? I always thought they got most of their money from touring and such.

You're correct. Bands only make (I think this is right, don't quote me on this though) 10% of the CD sales, which really isn't much. Especailly after it's divided among the members.
Shane Told has once said, and as Amber had quoted on the second page, the money is made off of the merch sales, which couldn't be done without touring. So it wouldn't make much of a difference to the band itself if a CD is bought or downloaded, as long as they come buy something as shows.
schmetallica.
Shotgun Sinner
schmetallica.
March 27th, 2007 at 07:21pm
I don't download, I usually buy the CD. If I don't have time to go out to the music store, I'll download it on iTunes. I do not have Limewire or any of those illegal programs used for 'stealing' music. I think it's wrong that people use those programs because you really are stealing from the people who made the music. I don't think it matters how much the songwriter really makes off the music, but buying it is giving them credit for their work. This is just my opinion.
Hang 'Me High
Killjoy
Hang 'Me High
March 28th, 2007 at 08:39am
I buy plenty of CDs because I don't have the net at home, and as a musician, I'm not a big fan of dowloading songs that are on general release, albums, singles etc. But when it's rare live recordings or demos, I think that they should be allowed to go because they're not in the shops, so labels and bands aren't loosing money.