Illegal Downloading

AuthorMessage
shell-
Jazz Hands
shell-
August 4th, 2007 at 12:22pm
Stevie Nicks.:
Honestly, I download music.
ALOT of music. Unless I actually like the band. Then I will buy the CD.

I dont feel guilty. People can call me evil, but I do not feel anything for ripping them off. Its cheap and easy, and I dont have the money to go out and buy every single CD because I like 1 song off it.
I have very few bands where I like every song so me going out and buying someones CD for one decent song is pointless.
Plus Itunes frustrates the hell out of me

agreed i'd buy an album if i like alot of their songs e.g mcr but its pointless buying it for just a few songs and its also faster than going to the shops. Fair enough theres I tunes but i hate it cant use it it confusees me plus i got rid of it. So i dont really care what people think im happy doing what im doing. Not that im disrespecting the band...I love them all but its just easier and so on....I get all the people who think its wrong and stealing but its technically not because someone must have bought it down the line someware..
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
August 4th, 2007 at 11:00pm
Stevie Nicks.:
Drunk-:

Smiley Smiley Smiley these smilies are an irrelevance ...just like them...lol...
but yeah i completely agree with you, all the effort gone into music it is wrong to go and steal it, I think its sorta immature too if you can't think for one minute about what you are doing.... also i love to buy albums, they're funkeh! xxx

How is it immature?

Because you're forgetting how much work is put into the making if a song and album. These people spend months, maybe even years, getting themselves out of the garage and into a stadium. It's like stealing candy from a baby, once it's on the internet, there is no defense.

Moving on, I can't afford to live without music, I hate not being able to buy the cds and songs thaty I want. But I love music, and I appreciate the work and effort that went into it. I'm willing to wait. Patience is a virtue, and in this case, patience won't have your computer searched by the FBI.

And Limewire does suck, I agree.

(Smiley Smiley Smiley I like this smiley too.)
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
August 5th, 2007 at 05:33am
lover zero.:
I will download live versions of songs, and songs I can't seem to find and buy legally, also songs that I'm going to get later on, but if I can buy it legally, I will.

Yeah. Me too. I prefer buying cds though. I would also download to listen to a new band's song only if they don't have samples in their website for an example. After that, I'll buy their cd if its good and delete the one I downloaded.

You see, its because I feel guilty to steal their song that they have taken time to make.

It kinda reminds me of this video game company (SNK, produced games like King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, etc) that got bankrupt because most people liked the things they made but they downloaded it rather then buying them. I wouldn't want my favourite artists to become bankrupt because I stole their songs rather then buying their album. I don't have much money either but I rather do it the right way.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
August 5th, 2007 at 06:47am
Yea, imagine if we all stopped buying MCR records...
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
August 5th, 2007 at 12:03pm
That would be terrible. People are not allowed to download movies, music etc illegally from the internet. Saying you don't have enough money to buy a cd doesn't mean you should steal a song. Its the same as saying "I'm going to steal a fridge because I don't have enough money to buy one". I forgot to mention that I don't even download any media now... I used to which was greedy of me...
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 5th, 2007 at 11:15pm
The reason people do it, apart from it's free; is that the chanes of being caught are so slim, they will proberly get away with it.

Personally, I think it's unfair how places like limewire cannot be sued for allowing it. Their defence is that because the files come from other peoples computers, they are not giving it out therefor they cannot be held to blame.

I think they should come with a filter, so that downloading things like music, movies ect becomes impossible.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 5th, 2007 at 11:17pm
]
Stevie Nicks.:
Honestly, I download music.
ALOT of music. Unless I actually like the band. Then I will buy the CD.

I dont feel guilty. People can call me evil, but I do not feel anything for ripping them off. Its cheap and easy, and I dont have the money to go out and buy every single CD because I like 1 song off it.
I have very few bands where I like every song so me going out and buying someones CD for one decent song is pointless.
Plus Itunes frustrates the hell out of me

Then go to Itunes, or MSN music and buy the track you like, for less than 99 pence, you have a song, and not the album.
Little Miss Bad
Killjoy
Little Miss Bad
August 5th, 2007 at 11:41pm
i download a lot Smile

ah 99 pence wont hurt a band!
but if there are like a lot of people donwloading illegaly then it could hurt the band finaces a lot
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
August 6th, 2007 at 12:45am
Simple and Clean:
The reason people do it, apart from it's free; is that the chanes of being caught are so slim, they will proberly get away with it.

Personally, I think it's unfair how places like limewire cannot be sued for allowing it. Their defence is that because the files come from other peoples computers, they are not giving it out therefor they cannot be held to blame.

I think they should come with a filter, so that downloading things like music, movies ect becomes impossible.

The Government knows about Limewire, they know that its illegal, they know all of that, they just don't care. If Anybody cared then Limewire and other illegal music providers would have been shut down a long time ago, but they haven't been.

I download music. And I'm sad to say that all my MCR songs are illegally downloaded Sad But that's only because my mom hates their guts and would burn the CD's if she found them, so I keep them safe, locked up in my iPod. I really don't think downloading is that bad, yes the artist put a lot of work into into it, but look at MCR, tons of people buy their CD's and tons of other people download their songs, and they are doing fine! Unless its a new, very low budget band, then downloading shouldn't hurt the artists too much.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
August 6th, 2007 at 12:57am
NotOkay22:

The Government knows about Limewire, they know that its illegal, they know all of that, they just don't care. If Anybody cared then Limewire and other illegal music providers would have been shut down a long time ago, but they haven't been.

Actually, as I'm sure someone before me has said this, but I'll say it anyway;
LimeWire itself is not illegal, it really just depends on the way people use it. Because, really, there is a LimeWire that you pay for, and one you can get for free.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
August 6th, 2007 at 01:34am
Simple and Clean:

That's actually a really good idea. I just don't know how they would go about creating such a filter. There are alot of downloading sites and even more people on the internet, looking for such sites.
And people DO get caught stealing music. Don't you remember that Pepsi commercial a few years back? The girl was saying that she downloaded music illegally and she racked up this ridiculous fine. I don't remember the exact figure, but I remember it was HUGE. Then Pepsi contacted her and offered to pay it if she did the commercial. That's why so many companies have the free music offers if you buy the product.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 6th, 2007 at 10:02am
jocee;Spam Queen:

That's actually a really good idea. I just don't know how they would go about creating such a filter. There are alot of downloading sites and even more people on the internet, looking for such sites.
And people DO get caught stealing music. Don't you remember that Pepsi commercial a few years back? The girl was saying that she downloaded music illegally and she racked up this ridiculous fine. I don't remember the exact figure, but I remember it was HUGE. Then Pepsi contacted her and offered to pay it if she did the commercial. That's why so many companies have the free music offers if you buy the product.

There was one filesharing thing that had it, and it worked really well, everytime I typed in a band, no results would show, but if it was something public, it would.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
August 7th, 2007 at 05:47pm
Giacomo Paradisi.:
NotOkay22:

Actually, as I'm sure someone before me has said this, but I'll say it anyway;
LimeWire itself is not illegal, it really just depends on the way people use it. Because, really, there is a LimeWire that you pay for, and one you can get for free.

I'm talking about the Limewire that you don't pay for. And the one that you do pay for, you pay for faster searches, more sources, etc. and the artists still don't get any money for there songs. The paying one isn't really illegal, but if you are against downloading, using the paid for Limewire still doesn't give anything to the band.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 8th, 2007 at 09:29am
Little Miss Bad:
i download a lot Smile

ah 99 pence wont hurt a band!
but if there are like a lot of people donwloading illegaly then it could hurt the band finaces a lot

well, 99 pence is like £1, It'd be pretty mad if people were stealing, yes stealing £1 from me several times a day.
Even thouogh the band doesn't get all the money, or much of it for that matter; the buisnesses which are having music stolen from are losing out big time.
fame monster.
Awake and Unafraid
fame monster.
August 10th, 2007 at 07:01pm
I dont really see it as a problem. People will always buy CD's and concerts make up a good amount of money as well as merchendise.

I mean, my band would record stuff on casettes and pass them around at school!
we would burn CD's hand em out say 'hey listen to this. tell me what you think'

Most bands arent even in it for money, they just want to make a diference in the world, in peoples lives. Lots of artists don even care

and technically. its not money youre STEALING. its just money that the bands dont get.
Missing Zero
Awake and Unafraid
Missing Zero
August 10th, 2007 at 08:58pm
i dont think its wrong to illegaly download songs because lets face it it's very rare nowadays to find an album that you love each and every track. i usually only download one or two songs from one album and most of the time their not singles therefore i cannot get my hands on a CD format of it. i love to buy CD's and i do so most of the time but when i'm not willing to dash £12 or sometimes £15 for a CD that has only one good song then i dont think it's fair on me. but in reference to itunes, i dont really like it, it's too confusing and just not worth it in my opinion. and i would like to state that Limewire is actually not illegal, it only becomes illegal if you actualy burn the songs onto a CD and sell it on, therefore making profit from something that was handed free to you and then of course you could say they are "stealing" from the bands profit but other than that Limewire is actually not illegal.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 10th, 2007 at 10:38pm
I'mNotSoPrettyBaby:
i dont think its wrong to illegaly download songs because lets face it it's very rare nowadays to find an album that you love each and every track. i usually only download one or two songs from one album and most of the time their not singles therefore i cannot get my hands on a CD format of it. i love to buy CD's and i do so most of the time but when i'm not willing to dash £12 or sometimes £15 for a CD that has only one good song then i dont think it's fair on me. but in reference to itunes, i dont really like it, it's too confusing and just not worth it in my opinion. and i would like to state that Limewire is actually not illegal, it only becomes illegal if you actualy burn the songs onto a CD and sell it on, therefore making profit from something that was handed free to you and then of course you could say they are "stealing" from the bands profit but other than that Limewire is actually not illegal.

You are wrong.
They tagged some college kids who downloaded from there and fined them. Did they burn it onto a CD? Did they sell the music to someone else?
No they didn't, they only downloaded it.
If you only like one song, buy the song. I'm sure 79 pence isn't going to be missed. There are loads of websites out there. Don't like Itunes? Try the shop in winders media player, HMV, Virgin ect.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
August 10th, 2007 at 10:47pm
Circa Survive said something on The Sauce a while ago. They were talking about kids downloading their music, and they said something like "You have to ask yourself, are you doing it for the money, or are you doing it because you love it? Do you want to make music that everyone can here, or do you want to make music for people with enough money?"

I mean, I would absolutely love to go out and buy every CD I want, or download them off iTunes, but I just don't have that kind of money. I have to pay for gas, food, if I ever want to do anything remotely social with friends, and save for school. It's not like I'm getting any pocket money, and I can only work so much, especially during the school year. I feel a bit guilty about it, but I think most bands would understand.
jason schwartzman
Bleeding on the Floor
jason schwartzman
August 11th, 2007 at 12:11am
I think as long as bands keep making music, there will be illegal downloading. Its unavoidable.

The majority of music-buyers are teenagers, and face it, not all of us teens are armed with sacks of cash.

Most people download illegally because it's free, and it's also easy. No need to get out of your seat, no need to leave your home.
The convience is all at your fingertips. And with today's society being more and more about lethargy it's pretty easy to see why so many of us do it.

I download a lot of songs. Mostly because like everyone keeps stating, "I just don't have the money."
If the CD is worth buying, I might be willing to fork out the extra money to help the band that I obviously enjoy.

It's all about opinion.
bring more knives.
Demolition Lover
bring more knives.
August 11th, 2007 at 12:29am
yeah this thing is very interesting.
and i have a lot thoughts about is.

in the other hand i hate download music illegal ways. but then i had to choice not to listen all the bands i like. i don't have change to get every album i want. all bands i listen are not that mainstream and in my country it's pretty hard to get many of the albums i want. and ordering them from abroad is so expensive and my parents don't like it.

but i also buy cd's when i'm able to. i really prefer buying the whole album than just downloading some songs illegaly.

and yeah i also know and understand that if everyone would keep just downloading music instead of buying it, artists wouldn't get money, which they really do deserves after making an album. and as we know, making music is their job. their way to get the money.
it's like the same thing i went to shop and just take a stuff i wanted = i stole.
it really is the same thing.

but yeah, many people do that. though that doesn't make it any accetable or anything.

and i think i will still do it. even though it's not nice.
but i still want to listen to the music i love. and support the bands/artists if i can.

ohh, i may sound pretty repugnant or something. i'm tired..