Don't have an account? Create one!

Illegal Downloading

AuthorMessage
Benniks
Jazz Hands
Benniks
November 14th, 2008 at 01:30pm
^ Just to add, also making a copy of a CD that you own already is illegal (for your own personal use - car etc.)
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 14th, 2008 at 07:47pm
Mindfuck:
The point I was trying to make was - why did you even quote me if you were going to disregard what I said? I specifically pointed out that I meant "every day". If you buy a couple of CDs every month, for example, I don't personally see a problem, but that's not what I was talking about originally. But the person was talking about asking for $50 a day.

And the boredom thing - in my opinion, you must be bored with your actual life if you feel as though you need to buy several CDs a day. What are you doing with your time? Sitting around listening to music all day? Spending all your time in CD stores? Online music stores? This is a general statement not directed at any individual.

You may not agree with that last point, but that's personally how I see it. I guess I'm just not as obsessed with music as a lot of people seem to be.

But I still don't see music as a necessity. A lot of people for illegal downloading seem to use the excuse, "but I can't afford CDs". Don't buy 'em if you can't afford 'em.
I can't afford every single pair of shoes I want; I can't afford getting every single magazine I want weekly; I can't afford every single PS3 game that I want. But that doesn't mean i'm going to steal them just on the basis of "I can't afford them".
If I were going to disregard your post, I wouldn't have posted at all?

Honestly, sometimes that's all people are able to do at times. Why not?

And in regards to the whole not able to afford thing: Well the obvious answer for people who can't buy CD's is to not buy them. Of course you aren't going to steal magazines, shoes, games, etc. I don't think it's fair for you to say what's wrong and right when the music execs and bands seem to be fairing just fine. That's who you're all seemingly trying to defend.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 15th, 2008 at 03:03pm
Making a copy of a legally purchased CD for private use, not for sale or profit, is different from ripping an album online. I paid for the CD, I did not copy it to sell and I didn't give it to anyone, I put it in my car to protect the investment I made in the original CD. In that same vein, how is that different than if I choose to take that same CD and put it onto my iPod for my own use and not for profit? Either way, the initial purchase of the music was made, and as the owner of the CD am choosing how I want to listen to it.

It doesn't matter how much money a person makes, it doesn't make it okay to take things from them. It would be like going into Bill Gates' home and taking the latest Microsoft software and using it for myself, or worse, copying and selling it. It doesn't matter that he's a billionaire -- it's *his* product and nobody has the right to take it from him.

I don't give a shit about music execs or how much money they make. I don't care if their careers are made or broken by illegal downloading. I care about the bands, no matter how rich they may be, having their music stolen by the people who claim to love them. I care about the pure and simple fact that when a person makes something, *anything* at all -- be it a band recording a song, a company mass-producing a product, or my great-grandmother sewing a pillowcase by hand -- if they create it, it belongs to them, and they have the right to collect whatever amount of money they deem appropriate for the item they made, or the right to give it away if they choose to do so. We do not have the right to take it from them without compensation.
fancy pirouettes.
Awake and Unafraid
fancy pirouettes.
November 15th, 2008 at 05:14pm
It doesn't matter. Whether you sell it or not, things have changed and just making a copy of a cd is illegal.
Music piracy is any form of unauthorized duplication and/or distribution of music including downloading, file sharing, and CD-burning.

We are all guilty of music piracy one way or another unless you have never burned/downloaded music.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 15th, 2008 at 05:37pm
gnihsams snikpmup.:
And in regards to the whole not able to afford thing: Well the obvious answer for people who can't buy CD's is to not buy them. Of course you aren't going to steal magazines, shoes, games, etc. I don't think it's fair for you to say what's wrong and right when the music execs and bands seem to be fairing just fine. That's who you're all seemingly trying to defend.
Ah, so you think illegally downloading only affects bands who are "fairing just fine". That's a little naive to assume that all bands who are affected by illegally downloading are big-name rich celebrities. There are a lot of smaller indie bands who people can readily rip music off of. Theoretically anyone who has released a music CD into the world of the music industry is open to be affected by illegally downloading.

On another point...
Let's say you earn $70,000 a year. You're well off. You're not rich, but you live comfortably. And let's say one day the company you work for comes to the realisation that you're doing okay, so they decide to cut what they pay you in half. You still do all of your work you're supposed to do, but they're just not paying you for all of it. Is that fair, that you're still putting in the hard yards but they're not paying you what you're worth?

I see that with illegal downloading, no matter how well off the music artist it.

John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 15th, 2008 at 05:44pm
But copying a CD for private use is authorized. You payed for it.

as long as your not selling the copies on .
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 15th, 2008 at 08:47pm
^ I'm a little confused about that...does that mean that you /are/ allowed to burn a CD for a friend, as long as you don't sell it?
fancy pirouettes.
Awake and Unafraid
fancy pirouettes.
November 15th, 2008 at 08:51pm
No. Even though you are just giving it to them and not selling it you are giving them someone's copyrighted work and they are not getting any profit from it.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 16th, 2008 at 01:11pm
Seeing as the copies I made were from legally purchased CDs, and I put those same CDs onto my iPod so that I can listen to them at my convenience, and I'm not making copies to sell or give away, I don't feel bad about making them. The original music was purchased from a store and/or downloaded from iTunes. I'm not stealing the music, and I'm not giving it to anyone. I'm putting it onto a medium that is convenient for me.

But, copying a CD and giving it to someone is the same as that person illegally downloading the music -- they are still taking possession of music that they did not pay for.

Loaning a CD to a friend, if they don't import it or copy it, is really no different than if that friend heard it on the radio. If they go out and buy the CD, then that's good for the band. If they don't like the music and decide not to buy the CD, that's okay too and is the same as if they'd heard it on the radio and decided not to buy it. To say that a person can only listen to a CD that they purchased alone in a room and never expose anyone else to it is ridiculous, DJ's would be out of a job, there would be no music in clubs, you wouldn't be able to play it in public. Music is meant to be shared and enjoyed -- but if you want the music for your own personal use, for your iPod or just to listen to, to rip it from a site without paying for it is wrong.
MCRForeverAndEver
Killjoy
MCRForeverAndEver
November 17th, 2008 at 11:32am
I don't do it, but I dont think theres anything wrong with it. I would do it, but my friend said that she knows someone who got fined like £1,000 (lke... $2000 ?} for downloading stuff from limewire, and that scared me, so I just get my music form this site called mp3fiesta, or fiestamp3, I can't remember. Its only 10p (20c) per song.
I try to buy mcr's CDs as well as downloading the music. they deserve to be paed for their hard work and stuff Smile