Don't have an account? Create one!

Illegal Downloading

AuthorMessage
dasha!
Salute You in Your Grave
dasha!
May 22nd, 2006 at 02:39am
I only download a couple of songs, and if I like the band I buy their CD.
RioneZ
Thinking Happy Thoughts
RioneZ
May 26th, 2006 at 01:16pm
Practically all my music is downloaded. I <3 Acquisition. but if I like a band I try to go out and buy their records. I also download because I have no money and the nearest record store is half an hour away in a car. I don't have a car.
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
May 26th, 2006 at 01:20pm
Jules:
I download heaps of music for many reasons:
- I like to listen to a band, before I go out and buy their album.
- I can't afford tonnes of CD's
- It's hard to find albums that I want for a reasonable amount of money.

But that's not say I don't buy any albums. Because I do, whenever I can. I understand that a band relies on people buying their albums so they can make a decent living. It's their job.
It's like that with me, just that I can't buy lots of albums that I like, cause they're not sold here....
pleasure.
Bulletproof Heart
pleasure.
May 26th, 2006 at 01:31pm
I don't download. But I see nothing wrong with it.
I don't do it because I have dial up. So it would take ages to download something.
I always buy CD's, or have someone send me songs over MSN.
matt skiba!
Awake and Unafraid
matt skiba!
May 26th, 2006 at 01:32pm
I like CD's, because i love the artwork and stuff, but before I buy a CD, I usually LimeWire a few tracks.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
May 26th, 2006 at 02:28pm
I download a lot of music and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I mean , if I end up liking most of the songs on the album , I'll buy the CD , but if the album has only a couple good songs , why buy it?

I also download the songs because , in my country, it's almost impossible to find CDs from a lot of bands I like. And ordering them online would cost me a fortune because of the shipping price
Poopsie
Shotgun Sinner
Poopsie
May 26th, 2006 at 02:31pm
Jules:
I download heaps of music for many reasons:
- I like to listen to a band, before I go out and buy their album.
- I can't afford tons of CD's
- It's hard to find albums that I want for a reasonable amount of money.

But that's not say I don't buy any albums. Because I do, whenever I can. I understand that a band relies on people buying their albums so they can make a decent living. It's their job.

That is exactly what I think. And I do download the songs I like, but I do own CD's.
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
May 26th, 2006 at 04:52pm
Let me quote our favorite bassist, Mikey Way....

"Downloading is for chumps."

^True.
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
May 26th, 2006 at 04:53pm
I'll add though, I do download before going to buy an album. I can't afford CDs all at one time.
Little Miss Sunshine
Jazz Hands
Little Miss Sunshine
August 7th, 2006 at 07:49am
If i really like the band and all the songs on their cd, i'll spend moola on them.

If i only like a couple of songs off their album, its not worth the $30 I'd havta shell out to hear..Maybe one or two songs I actually like.
bratcore
Jazz Hands
bratcore
August 7th, 2006 at 07:57am
I think it's great, because it's probably one of the only things in the whole world that can not be controled by capitalists.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
August 7th, 2006 at 08:11am
I download becasue there are some bands where I only like a few of their songs, so there's no sense paying for an album to listen to like 2 songs, others are y'know remixes that I like and can't find anywhere else, and a few are new bands that I want to check out.
Also I can't really afford CDs too often, so I only buy them if I know I'm going to listen to it alot.
x.HotelBellaMuerte.x
Killjoy
x.HotelBellaMuerte.x
August 7th, 2006 at 10:33am
Here in India 99% of the music I listen to isn't available so I have to download a few songs and if I like them I'll buy the cd whenever i go somewhere it is available.
So technically I have very little choice in the matter
Thnks fr th vnm
Demolition Lover
Thnks fr th vnm
August 7th, 2006 at 10:38am
One of my favorite bands is all for downloading[: But that's not why I am.
I don't agree with someone dowloading a full album or anything. It's stupid, and rude, and it's not helping anyone.
I'll download a few songs, like everyone else said, to see if they interest me enough to purchase the full album. But that's it.
LostAndFound_TheCrew
Jazz Hands
LostAndFound_TheCrew
August 7th, 2006 at 11:34am
If I download, it's only through Purevolume. I only download a few songs to check out a new band, then if I like it, I buy the cd. But I also listen to alot of unsigned bands, wich means I can't buy they're cd's, 'cuz there aren't any. Then I download, but only the songs the band let me download. I don't like illegal downloading, but I don't care if people do it. I just love cd's too much to do it.
m45tq
Awake and Unafraid
m45tq
August 7th, 2006 at 11:37am
BreakThisAwkwardSilence:
Let me quote our favorite bassist, Mikey Way....

"Downloading is for chumps."

^True.
Yeah, but Mikey said that.
Mikey is a rich/famous person who can go out and buy CDs whenever the hell he wants.
Fourteen year old kids can't.
lshdfjKH
Star Crossed Lover
lshdfjKH
August 7th, 2006 at 11:52am
I agree with Cassie, & so does one of my heros.
Shane Told, this is what he thinks about illegal downloading:

Shane Told (Silverstein):
Most bands make little, to no money on record sales, even if they've sold a lot of records. They make almost all of their money from selling merch, & the more people who hear your band for free or not, the more T - Shirts you are going to sell. Not to mention a lot of bands on smaller labels don't have distribution everywhere. If someone can't even legally buy our record at their local store, it'd much better for them to download it & then come to the show next time we roll through town. Show your support by coming, & maybe buying something - that's the best way to do it.

That man is so smart. <3.
& yes, I agree with him.
& actually, I happen to download, a lot. Neutral
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
August 7th, 2006 at 12:26pm
I think if you haven't got bundles of cash, downloading is a good idea for a 'taster' of bands. There a whole load of bands (Billy Talent, Panic! At The Disco, Nightmare of You, Jack's Mannequin, Arctic Monkeys, AFI) whose music I would never have heard were it not for having downloaded them first.

However, I like to have something I can hold in my hand and to read the booklet (I know! I'm a loser!) and see the artwork and the way the band/artist presents themselves. It makes me feel like I know more what the band are about.

I think if you like an album, you should try to buy it or download it legally. Record sales do matter, in that they give the band more exposure and their label will want them to make more records, so it keeps them in business. But if you can't afford it/can't buy it where you live, its better to listen to the music than not. And I think if you have the choice between seeing the band play or buying the cd, you'd have to pick seeing them play.
Synyster
Salute You in Your Grave
Synyster
August 12th, 2006 at 04:44pm
I can see bands getting pissed because there not making money, but then again Its about the music, not the cash.

I say its all good, it shouldn't be illegal. Its a chance for music to get out there. Anyways why should I have to go buy a cd when I only like one song.
OMG it's Jennie :0
Motor Baby
OMG it's Jennie :0
August 12th, 2006 at 07:37pm
I download all the time. It's there for free, therefore I'm not going to spend money on something I don't need.
I'd buy a cd if it was by MCR or Yellowcard or Escape The Fate or something, because I know I wouldn't get bored of their stuff. But if I have to pay out £15/$30 to get about 12 songs I might not like, it's hardly worth it.
CDs should be at reasonable prices. If they were about £5 for an album, I'm alot more likely to buy it. Anyway, in England it's not like you can buy cds from bands who really need your support.