Don't have an account? Create one!

Illegal Downloading

AuthorMessage
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
August 12th, 2006 at 11:30pm
OMG it's Jennie :0:
But if I have to pay out £15/$30 to get about 12 songs I might not like, it's hardly worth it.
CDs should be at reasonable prices. If they were about £5 for an album, I'm alot more likely to buy it. Anyway, in England it's not like you can buy cds from bands who really need your support.

Exactly. And is it just me or are albums getting shorter? As in, fewer tracks? I don't know if thats just my imagination, but if it is the case, the record industry really isn't helping itself, is it? Same prices (if not higher) for fewer tracks. And the fewer tracks, the easier it is to download...
Sally Stitches.
Awake and Unafraid
Sally Stitches.
August 13th, 2006 at 05:12am
Illegal downloading is probably the crime Asians commit the most.
I'm not being racist here [I'm Asian]. Whenever I'm on vacation to see my family in Taiwan [as I am right now], I always see a whole bunch of burned CDs/DVDs and illegally downloaded songs.

I burn CDs occasionally, but try not to too much. But Limwire is quite tempting...
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
August 13th, 2006 at 05:43am
Is it just me, or is getting alot easier to buy illegally downloaded copies of CDs and DVDs?
I can't remember the last time I walked through the local market and didn't see around a dozen stalls selling illegal DVDs and CDs. And the people who use the market are mainly old people or families with a low income, looking for a few bargains and they are more likely to buy these copies because they can't afford the real thing.
So maybe it's just me, but it seems as though it's alot easier to get illegally downloaded material nowadays than it was, say, three or four years ago.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
August 14th, 2006 at 12:30am
A couple of years ago, here (Malaysia), the government cracked down really hard on fake cds, dvds and cd-roms. There weren't any fakes for a few months, I think. Then they said to the record, dvd and software companies that they would continue to keep fakes off the streets IF they brought their prices down to a level that the average Malaysian could afford. They all said no, so now the fakes are back. I think what Malaysia did was a very good idea, and presumably the offer is still open. The companies must have had their reasons for refusing; probably that if they brought prices down dramatically in Malaysia, they'd have to do the same elsewhere.
Vaseline
Shotgun Sinner
Vaseline
August 14th, 2006 at 02:45am
x.HotelBellaMuerte.x:
Here in Indonesia 99% of the music I listen to isn't available so I have to download a few songs and if I like them I'll buy the cd whenever i go somewhere it is available.
So technically I have very little choice in the matter
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
August 14th, 2006 at 03:21am
Funny, I am downloading music right now.
Unless I am really sure about a band, i will buy their CD. Twice I bought CDs and I ended up only liking one song. I know for a fact that I will buy the new The Used and My Chemical Romance albums, and maybe even Saosin if I can find their CDs anywhere. But other than that, I am for downloading. Plus, it's only really hurting the record companies- bands make nearly no money from the cds, they get the most from concerts.
jonny krapuul
Fabulous Killjoy
jonny krapuul
August 14th, 2006 at 05:42am
mmm,i think the're right ,'bout legalising it,i mean,why the hell do they make music,to be poor ,i download itunes,and i mean,i feel better when i pay for people's hard work,than just freak them off by dowloading illegal
Xx-Cristina.
Bleeding on the Floor
Xx-Cristina.
August 14th, 2006 at 10:17am
I download shit off of LimeWire like a mad-man!

I can't afford CD's, but when I can I buy them.
And if I do buy them, I end up downloading it anyways.
But I Have/will never burn a CD.

Because, at that point, it seems illegal to me.
But any step before that isn't.
[again, to me. I'm not talking about you.]

But, I think, I make up for it by supporting them in other ways.

I'm just weird like that -shrugs-.
atoned angels.
Salute You in Your Grave
atoned angels.
August 14th, 2006 at 11:45am
Like it's been said many times before, I aswell only download a few songs.
I don't see a problem with it, and I eventually buy the album legally and delete the illegal files.
However, sometimes the albums aren't available at a [sometimes reasonable] price.
If I feel guilty enough about downloading enough songs by someone, I'll make up for it with merchandise or something nice.
Example: I downloaded Panic! At the Disco's new album and still can't find it anywhere in my town. I went to their concert last night to make up for it.
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
Motor Baby
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
August 18th, 2006 at 05:04pm
I used to when i was younger but realised that the musicians i like make a living from bringing happiness to their fans and i'm cheating their goodness and decieving them. & i feel good buying cds and thinking that this money could buy frank's new guitar or gerard's replacement leather jacket!!
& plus i like the little booklet that come with the albums!!
My Hero:
Demolition Lover
My Hero:
August 18th, 2006 at 08:57pm
I download things all the time to see if i like the band or not, you know? Because if i like it, i'll buy their cd, and if i don't then i won't buy their cd. But i usually download for that purpose.
Hide and Seek Me.
Bleeding on the Floor
Hide and Seek Me.
September 3rd, 2006 at 09:15pm
For every 100 songs i download i go out and buy merch.

Plus as stated before it IS only money the record companines aren't recieving.
rachi_left4deadx_x
Motor Baby
rachi_left4deadx_x
September 29th, 2006 at 11:49am
If everyone downloaded music illegally, there will be know music. Bands wouldn't have enough money to record.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 29th, 2006 at 08:42pm
That depends. Some people use illegal downloading as a taster. There are some bands I've listened to whose albums I definitely won't be buying. Others I definitely will because I like them and want them to record more. And because the more record sales in my area, the more likely it is that they might play a show here. If everyone downloaded music in that way, popular music would probably be more refined.
Turn To Grey
Always Born a Crime
Turn To Grey
September 29th, 2006 at 08:44pm
I like buying CDs personally.
I think downloading is okay to a minimum, like if you just want one song or it's not on iTunes or something.
Burning CDs is okay in my opinion, I do it all the time.
Attack.Kill.Bury.
Jazz Hands
Attack.Kill.Bury.
September 29th, 2006 at 08:52pm
I believe you can dowload A FEW SONGS just a few because when you download a whole cd your ripping off a bandd that works there ass off to get a cd out and then someone just downloads a whole cd
Turn To Grey
Always Born a Crime
Turn To Grey
September 29th, 2006 at 09:04pm
I also think it's okay if you download it because you don't have money yet, but intend to either buy it soon or delete the illegally downloaded songs instead.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 29th, 2006 at 09:04pm
MyNameIsSaintJimmy:
I like buying CDs personally.
I think downloading is okay to a minimum, like if you just want one song or it's not on iTunes or something.
Burning CDs is okay in my opinion, I do it all the time.

Some countries don't have iTunes. e.g. Malaysia, where I live.
na.
Shotgun Sinner
na.
September 30th, 2006 at 08:33am

A lot of what I think has already been touched upon, but I'd like to put my two cents forward.
I like buying CDs, a lot, in fact I could spend most of my day in a record store.. but most of the CDs I buy, I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for downloading. I'm not going to be stuck listening to the same bands for the rest of my life. I get into new & differents bands every week via Myspace, then I Limewire it.. then I go out & buy the album. But money is an issue, too, I suppose.. & like someone said before, Mikey has the right to say downloading isn't cool 'cause he can buy CDs for the rest of his lifetime. Those without an income make do. & I consider buying the CD at a later date making up for all the downloading I've done previously.
the anti-scenester
Motor Baby
the anti-scenester
September 30th, 2006 at 10:01pm
I think that a few songs is okay... jsut don't download five million CD's and not pay a cent.

Like, I limewired Welcome To The Black Parade. But when the CD comes out I'm gonna buy it, not download the rest of it. i just don't wanna pay money for a song I'm gonna have in a month anyway.