Don't have an account? Create one!

Teen Pregnancy

AuthorMessage
TheAlchemyIndex
Killjoy
TheAlchemyIndex
March 21st, 2008 at 11:50am
my friend just found out she's pregnant last month. Her and her boyfriend couldn't be more excited. They'll graduate next year and they don't plan on college. they both have jobs waiting for them in their familiy businesses and although they're a little immature i know they're taking this completely seriously.

Not all teen pregnancys end the same way.
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 24th, 2008 at 06:05pm
I agree with some of those things, and then I also disagree. Most teenagers don't have any means of supporting their to-be-born baby. Sure, you may have a job, but most jobs that teens have only pay like $6 an hour. That may be enough money to support the "mall-splurge" donation division that resides in your jean pockets, but it's certainly not enough money to actually raise a baby. I mean think about it, a BABY! I'm sure most pregnant teens had no intention to actually get pregnant, but they did and now they're dealing with it. But if you had the choice, everyone has the choice actually, would you ever risk gettting pregnant while you're still a teenager? Most will answer "no", and others just don't care. But if you do happen to get pregnant, I would never suggest adoption... at first. If you truly believe that you won't be able to raise that baby, they won't grow up in a good environment or whatever, then maybe consider adoption, maybe. Otherwise, even if you're scared shitless about raising a child, realize that you have enough love to take care of them yourself and then do just that, raise your baby. Skip out on the adoption thing if you can.
I'm Not Okay90
Fabulous Killjoy
I'm Not Okay90
March 25th, 2008 at 01:36pm
There's a 6th grader in my town that's pregnant with an 8th grader! Teen pregancy is stupid... Neutral
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
March 25th, 2008 at 08:04pm
I personally wouldn't do it. I have to much I want to do and I wouldn't want to have a child now. I want to see the world, chase my dreams, go to collage, finish high school, move out of the crappy town I live in..... I have to much to do and I don't plan on getting married til I'm like 25 or 26.
I don't think you should get pregnant at such a young age, sure, maybe you can handle it, but.... what about what YOU want to do, and even if you want to have a kid at such a young age, theres a chance you could die while having it, all the complications that could go wrong with the kid, and what if your plans change or you learn you don't love the person you are with any more? If your 18 or 19 and have thought about it and thats truely what you want, then.... go for it I guess, but at an age like 16 or younger, plans change, dreams change, YOU change.
And I'm not being mean or anything, I know they are cute, but honestly.... I'm sure it can wait.
I understand that lots of people can have a kid at a young and and be very happy, but I wouldn't want to have one so young, what if you change your mind or something happens?
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
March 25th, 2008 at 09:17pm
I think that it's not anyone's fault. Condoms break and some pills just don't take effect.
You can't blame a pregnancy on anyone really. Yes it was "because of" but it was not
"_____'s fault".

My step-sister was eighteen when she gave birth to my niece, Ruby. She's a totally happy,
healthy child, so it is unfair to think that all teenage parents will be irresponsible.

My mother was 21 when she was pregnant with me. I know it's not teen pregnancy but
it's still quite young and even though she was married to my father at the time, her
parents sure as hell didn't like it.

DanniDaydream
Joining The Black Parade
DanniDaydream
March 31st, 2008 at 02:46pm
I think it depends on the circumstances. If the parents are serious about it and mature enough to take responsibility then good luck to them.
It's when teens don't even bother with contraception that bothers me.
k?!
Always Born a Crime
k?!
March 31st, 2008 at 08:58pm
I think teen pregnancy's are okay.
It all depends on how responsible the parents are, like if both the parents will keep the baby and give the baby the love it needs to survive,
And if they can both decide what to do when they find out the girl is pregnant, if they decide to get an abortion, put it up for adoption, or keep it and care for it.
And I think it is okay, if they were planning on having the baby, then you know they know what they need to look forward to.
stac-renee
Killjoy
stac-renee
April 1st, 2008 at 09:15am
I KNOW A FEW TEENAGERS THAT HAD BABIES AND IT PRETTY MUCH RUINED THEIR LIFE, THE FIRST THING THAT USUALLY HAPPENS IS THEY DROP OUT OF SCHOOL. SO WITH NO GOOD EDUCATION, YOU CANT GET A GOOD JOB TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND THAT CHILD
unknown-
Always Born a Crime
unknown-
April 2nd, 2008 at 08:05pm
Sadly Teen Pregnancy is a very common thing in my school Neutral... there's Freshman to Seniors there's also 8th graders...so i think it's kind of sad
Richey Edwards.
Demolition Lover
Richey Edwards.
April 3rd, 2008 at 12:37pm
i think that if a girl wants a baby as a teenager then she should have her baby i mean if u got pregnante would u really go and do something stupid and murderus like killing the baby or give it away so some stranger can raise ur baby and have the baby never know it is urs i just think that is wrong i think if ur masture enuf then u can have a baby when u want just as long as u handel it urself and dont put it off on others.
starktreks
Devil's Got Your Number
starktreks
April 3rd, 2008 at 02:43pm
i think it's sad.

it's not 'common' in my school but it's happened a few times.

but i think it depends on the circumstances, and how responsible the teenager is.
obv. they weren't very responsible by getting pregnant but accidents can happen and they just have to deal with it.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
April 3rd, 2008 at 03:10pm
I think that teenagers don't see how much a child depends on its mother and father. It's very damning, even women are waiting to have children later in life because they want to be financially stable and be in a serious relationship.

I don't think that teens should be so quick to throw away their life, you can't just have the baby enjoy it for a few months then change your mind. Teens are still growing up, they are still trying to learn to look after themselves.
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
April 3rd, 2008 at 08:52pm
It's sad,
yesh.

But really, we can't say
"Stop having sex."
It's mother nature and their
reproductive organs.

If we really don't like it, then we should be responsible for not
doing it ourselves.

Although personally,
i'm not too fond of it and probably
wont get sexually active until after i'm married,
teens are teens and get inspired, depressed,
amorous and excited.
Bittersweet Spell
Killjoy
Bittersweet Spell
April 4th, 2008 at 06:01pm
I think it is sad but! you also have to know the situation and age I knew of this 17 year old who got pregnant. It was by accident with her boy freind of about 5 years and she is one of the msot well rounded girls ever. She has been saving up her money sinse she was i think aboiut 5 and she already had a nice career path going and her parents helped her while she went to collage.

My point is it also depends on the situation the teen is in. Some people are fit but yes most are not
eslizard
Salute You in Your Grave
eslizard
April 6th, 2008 at 01:58am
Im not sure if this has been metioned or not (i didnt want to read through all the pages of people ~most likely sayiny the same thing.)

but on the first page, people were saying that if a teenage girl gets pregnant, then she has to deal with the child, and live with the consequence.

my personal opinion is not just for teenage pregnancies, but for any pre-marital pregnancy, and its mainly based off of what the child could feel like when he/she is older.
i am against pre-marital pregnancies because, depending on the maturity/age of the couple, the parents may get married after the child is born. While this in itself is great- the couple doing what they feel is right for the child- what happens if the couple gets divorced a few years later? When the child is older, they could lead themselves to believe that its their fault for what their family is going though.
these could be some possible thoughts of the child:
<i>'if i wasnt born, my parents wouldnt have had to go through the divorce because they probably would have never gotten married'
'its my fault we are having financial issues- if i hadnt been born, then my parents wouldnt have gotten morried then divorced, which wouldnt have caused mom/dad to move and not be able to find a decent job'</i>

it is <i>entirely</i> possible that a child thinks that about themselves, and that could lead to depression, and depending on the extent of it, a teenage suicide.

so my view on teenage/pre-marital pregnancy is that the people need to stop and think of the future before they live off of impulse, because one action could lead to a drastic ending.

now, im not saying that every story ends like this. i know some people whos, as of now, lives are going great, even with a child. but there is always the possibility for a story to go bad.

so by saying that, you are saying that the child is nothing more that 'something to be delt with' or a 'consequence for their actions'.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 6th, 2008 at 02:34am
Everyday:
Im not sure if this has been metioned or not (i didnt want to read through all the pages of people ~most likely sayiny the same thing.)

but on the first page, people were saying that if a teenage girl gets pregnant, then she has to deal with the child, and live with the consequence.

my personal opinion is not just for teenage pregnancies, but for any pre-marital pregnancy, and its mainly based off of what the child could feel like when he/she is older.
i am against pre-marital pregnancies because, depending on the maturity/age of the couple, the parents may get married after the child is born. While this in itself is great- the couple doing what they feel is right for the child- what happens if the couple gets divorced a few years later? When the child is older, they could lead themselves to believe that its their fault for what their family is going though.
these could be some possible thoughts of the child:
<i>'if i wasnt born, my parents wouldnt have had to go through the divorce because they probably would have never gotten married'
'its my fault we are having financial issues- if i hadnt been born, then my parents wouldnt have gotten morried then divorced, which wouldnt have caused mom/dad to move and not be able to find a decent job'</i>

it is <i>entirely</i> possible that a child thinks that about themselves, and that could lead to depression, and depending on the extent of it, a teenage suicide.

so my view on teenage/pre-marital pregnancy is that the people need to stop and think of the future before they live off of impulse, because one action could lead to a drastic ending.

now, im not saying that every story ends like this. i know some people whos, as of now, lives are going great, even with a child. but there is always the possibility for a story to go bad.

so by saying that, you are saying that the child is nothing more that 'something to be delt with' or a 'consequence for their actions'.

If I'm not mistaken, divorce can happen whether the child was conceived pre-marriage or not. There are a lot of holes in that argument.
And besides, there's a separate thread for discussing pre-marital sex.
eslizard
Salute You in Your Grave
eslizard
April 6th, 2008 at 03:11am
squiggly.:

If I'm not mistaken, divorce can happen whether the child was conceived pre-marriage or not. There are a lot of holes in that argument.
And besides, there's a separate thread for discussing pre-marital sex.

like i said, not every story is the same, and there is divorce w/o it.
sorry i got off topic a bit there... i really didnt mean to
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 6th, 2008 at 03:47am

I think it's unfair to say that 'this is right, and that is wrong.'

All situations are different, some are more stereotyped then others.
We cannot judge all teenage pregnancies with the same mindset.

It's very complex :/
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
April 7th, 2008 at 07:11am
amazing how easy it is in this thread to say "teen pregnancy is stupid" and then walk away.

without offering any debate points, anything worth merit, and without any thought to anyone else.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
April 7th, 2008 at 07:13am
stac-renee:
I KNOW A FEW TEENAGERS THAT HAD BABIES AND IT PRETTY MUCH RUINED THEIR LIFE, THE FIRST THING THAT USUALLY HAPPENS IS THEY DROP OUT OF SCHOOL. SO WITH NO GOOD EDUCATION, YOU CANT GET A GOOD JOB TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND THAT CHILD

Way to present yourself.

First of all. Having a child does not ruin your life, unless you're completely unaware of what to do. It's not that hard to get help, there's always someone out there willing to lend a hand.

Second, I actually just read a newspaper where the headline was about dropouts and how most (most being over 80%) end up getting successful jobs and contribute to society. So maybe you should check facts before you spout off, no?