Racism

AuthorMessage
JustASadSong.
Jazz Hands
JustASadSong.
December 23rd, 2006 at 03:11am
It's horrible

I hate racist people

I shouldn't matter what colour someones skin is; everyone should have the same rights not matter what
Austing
Banned
Austing
December 23rd, 2006 at 04:54am
JustASadSong.:
It's horrible

I hate racist people

I shouldn't matter what colour someones skin is; everyone should have the same rights not matter what
You hate racist people?

Isnt that hypocritical?

"I hate you for hating lol"
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 23rd, 2006 at 08:11am
I_Mean_This:
Your argument doesnt make sense. I put it in quotes because im mocking the phrase.
Don't tell me there arent double standards, because there are. For example, white people are called "crackers" all the time...and its ok. However, use the n word when you are not black....doesnt really work out.
And yes, if everyone just shut up about it, and moved on, im sure it would be fine.
obviously this "peace and unity" theory hasnt worked out.

and also, how was what i said offensive? at all? I said no one is allowed to be racist, and it goes both ways. No one is exempt from being racist because of skin color.

First of all, if you are going to attempt to seem educated use proper grammer and punctuation. Second of all, nowhere did I say that there weren't double standards. I said rarely. And calling a white person a cracker is equally as offensive as calling a black person a nigger. And let me make this LOUD and CLEAR. I am black and hearing the word nigger used by other blacks also offends me. So don't imply that blacks get to use the word freely without getting scolded because I know damn well that I let blacks who say that word know when I'm offended. It is not acceptable to be used by blacks more or less than it is to be used by whites. And how do you expect "peace and unity" to happen when we still have neo-nazism is still widely practiced throughout the world? Do just expect them to stop their lifetime beliefs and go, "Hey. We're all equal. Skin tone doesn't matter because we all bleed red." I'm sorry but no. That's not going to happen.

By the way, I found your post to be offensive because I felt as if you were basically saying, "Minorities need to stfu because whites get racism too."
Me-ninja
Joining The Black Parade
Me-ninja
December 23rd, 2006 at 10:16am
racism is bad
Killing_Jar
Really Not Okay
Killing_Jar
December 23rd, 2006 at 11:17pm
Roxx my Soxx:
I_Mean_This:
Your argument doesnt make sense. I put it in quotes because im mocking the phrase.
Don't tell me there arent double standards, because there are. For example, white people are called "crackers" all the time...and its ok. However, use the n word when you are not black....doesnt really work out.
And yes, if everyone just shut up about it, and moved on, im sure it would be fine.

and also, how was what i said offensive? at all? I said no one is allowed to be racist, and it goes both ways. No one is exempt from being racist because of skin color.

First of all, if you are going to attempt to seem educated use proper grammer and punctuation. Second of all, nowhere did I say that there weren't double standards. I said rarely. And calling a white person a cracker is equally as offensive as calling a black person a nigger. And let me make this LOUD and CLEAR. I am black and hearing the word nigger used by other blacks also offends me. So don't imply that blacks get to use the word freely without getting scolded because I know damn well that I let blacks who say that word know when I'm offended. It is not acceptable to be used by blacks more or less than it is to be used by whites. And how do you expect "peace and unity" to happen when we still have neo-nazism is still widely practiced throughout the world? Do just expect them to stop their lifetime beliefs and go, "Hey. We're all equal. Skin tone doesn't matter because we all bleed red." I'm sorry but no. That's not going to happen.

By the way, I found your post to be offensive because I felt as if you were basically saying, "Minorities need to stfu because whites get racism too."

Wow. First of all, this is a message board. I'm sorry if I don't feel the need to capitalize to impress all of the teenage girls on here. And also, what are you talking about? I said peace and unity wasn't working...wtf. So your little blurb about the KKK was unnecessary, and stupid. You are going off for no reason. Nowhere did I say that minorities need to stfu, or implied that. IN fact, I believe I said everyone needs to stfu. I was pointing out that EVERYONE gets discriminated against, and its horrible no matter what your skin color. Are you just looking for a fight? Because that's stupid, and you have no good reasons. I really dont care if you're black. That means nothing to me. My point was that anyone can be racist, whether you are black, white, spanish, chinese, whatever.There is no free card.
There is no need for you to attack me personally, and very immature of you. This is a discussion board, and you are going off on someone you DON'T even know, implying I'm un-educated because I didn't use proper capitlization on a message board where the majority of users are in their early teens, and don't care about sentence structure, grammar, or capitlization. If anything, you are claiming you're superiour. I have NO idea why you're picking a fight, and its ridiculous. Let me restate this loud and clear:
I said nothing offensive, and I merely said no one is exempt from being racist because of skin color, white people included. Stop looking for a fight. You're acting childish.
BertTheMeanOldRapist
Killjoy
BertTheMeanOldRapist
December 23rd, 2006 at 11:39pm
Roxx my Soxx:
I_Mean_This:

*sigh* Everybody catches shit. Everybody has their own offensive term for every color. It doesnt matter what color you are, you're going to catch shit. Everyone needs to get over it. Just because you're black does not give you any more reason to be offended than anyone else. She honestly said NOTHING wrong.
Ps:when was the last time anyone owned a slave in america? Oh thats right, over a century ago. You can get off your high horse now.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
December 24th, 2006 at 01:47am
Tas, Mary, Tarja.

Stopcheck.

There is absolutely no need to get in an argument here.
Take it elsewhere, or better, just drop it. All three of you will be happier for it.
This could easily escalate, and that is the only reason I'm stopping it here.
It is easy to be offended and fire back a response; it is a lot harder to take the high road and say nothing.
Let's agree to disagree, or at least "forgive" and forget, and move on, shall we?
------------------------------------

Is any one race more prone to racism than another? Examples, ideas?

Is some racism justifiable? Why or why not.

Is racism still harmful if it doesn't manifest in violence or verbal abuse? Why or why not.
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 24th, 2006 at 10:11am
I_Mean_This:

Wow. First of all, this is a message board. I'm sorry if I don't feel the need to capitalize to impress all of the teenage girls on here. And also, what are you talking about? I said peace and unity wasn't working...wtf. So your little blurb about the KKK was unnecessary, and stupid. You are going off for no reason. Nowhere did I say that minorities need to stfu, or implied that. IN fact, I believe I said everyone needs to stfu. I was pointing out that EVERYONE gets discriminated against, and its horrible no matter what your skin color. Are you just looking for a fight? Because that's stupid, and you have no good reasons. I really dont care if you're black. That means nothing to me. My point was that anyone can be racist, whether you are black, white, spanish, chinese, whatever.There is no free card.
There is no need for you to attack me personally, and very immature of you. This is a discussion board, and you are going off on someone you DON'T even know, implying I'm un-educated because I didn't use proper capitlization on a message board where the majority of users are in their early teens, and don't care about sentence structure, grammar, or capitlization. If anything, you are claiming you're superiour. I have NO idea why you're picking a fight, and its ridiculous. Let me restate this loud and clear:
I said nothing offensive, and I merely said no one is exempt from being racist because of skin color, white people included. Stop looking for a fight. You're acting childish.

Ok. This is going to be my last response you. One- I could care less if you chose to impress me or not. I was simply making a statement which (I'll admit) was meant to offend you. And let me tell you, I have realized the ignorance of most everyone on this board. I notice that no one likes to type in clear English. My point was, if you are in a educated discussion, type correctly. Am I being immature because I want to be able to fully understand your arguement? I don't think so... Two- There is a difference between the KKK and Neo Nazis... Three- I must have misunderstood your post because what you are saying you meant is the complete opposite of what I interpreted. Misunderstanding, much? Maybe it was because you came off a bit harsh. Four- I am not trying to pick a fight with you. I actually don't like conflict when it is unneccessary. I simply try to tell you why I was offended and you go off on me. Five- I felt the need to tell you that I was black to let you know that all blacks don't say the word "nigger" as a friendly term. Which was implied. Six- I am not trying to say that I am superior in any way, size, shape or form. That would go completely against my standing that all men are created EQUAL. If you think I am looking down on you, you are mistaken. Seven- Like I said before. I am not trying to pick a fight with you. It brings no pleasure to me. I am not being childish by saying what is on my mind.

Side note- I'm really not mean when you get to know me...
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 24th, 2006 at 10:31am
xXxsKiTtLe_QuEeNxXx:
*sigh* Everybody catches shit. Everybody has their own offensive term for every color. It doesnt matter what color you are, you're going to catch shit. Everyone needs to get over it. Just because you're black does not give you any more reason to be offended than anyone else. She honestly said NOTHING wrong.
Ps:when was the last time anyone owned a slave in america? Oh thats right, over a century ago. You can get off your high horse now.

It's funny how I wasn't talking to you. I understand that you want to jump in and protect your friend but don't try that on me. I never said that just because I was black I had the right to be more offended than anyone else. If I did please let me know. Oh, that's right. I never said or implied that. Did anyone metion slavery? No. And is that even a valid arguement? No. What if I said, "When was the last time anyone killed over 6 million Jews? Over 60 years ago. Get off your high horse now" or "When was the last time anyone murdered countless Native Americans with disease and war? Centuries ago. Get off your high horse now" or what if I said, "When was the last time thousands were killed by terrorist? Over 5 years ago. Get off your high horse now." None of that sounds right. So how dare you tell me to get off my high horse? Especially when I'M NOT EVEN ON A HIGH HORSE! I do not need you trying to tell me what to do. Mind your own business because next time I won't be so nice to you...
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 24th, 2006 at 10:44am
bloodredruby69:
Tas, Mary, Tarja.

Stopcheck.

There is absolutely no need to get in an argument here.
Take it elsewhere, or better, just drop it. All three of you will be happier for it.
This could easily escalate, and that is the only reason I'm stopping it here.
It is easy to be offended and fire back a response; it is a lot harder to take the high road and say nothing.
Let's agree to disagree, or at least "forgive" and forget, and move on, shall we?

Not to sound like a bitch or anything but do you even have the authority to tell me to stop defended my point of view? I feel double, maybe even triple-teamed and I am not going to stop until my point has been made. Where else can we talk about this other than the discussion thread anyway? I feel that this is a prime opportunity for two sides to talk, debate, agrue and/or discuss their views. This is what this thread is for, right?
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
December 24th, 2006 at 05:12pm
I do, Tas, when it is useless spam. Anyone would.
You are no longer on topic, and it is cluttering up the topic you claim to be so passionate about.
You have a right to defend yourself, yes, but if it's no on topic, do it elsewhere. PMs, the WAYT, whatever.
People have a right to come here and have intelligent conversation, not have to sift through spam.

I wasn't defending them, I wasn't defending you, and I certainly wasn't saying anyone was right or wrong.
And though the other party may have "started it" it does not give you (or them)the right to fill up the pages with a petty argument
Over a misinterpretation, no less.

Please, stop now.
Preferably before it gets to the point where I report this thread and have it locked.

Now, let's try this again.
bloodredruby69:

Is racism still harmful if it doesn't manifest in violence or verbal abuse? Why or why not.
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 24th, 2006 at 09:09pm
bloodredruby69:
I do, Tas, when it is useless spam. Anyone would.
You are no longer on topic, and it is cluttering up the topic you claim to be so passionate about.
You have a right to defend yourself, yes, but if it's no on topic, do it elsewhere. PMs, the WAYT, whatever.
People have a right to come here and have intelligent conversation, not have to sift through spam.

I wasn't defending them, I wasn't defending you, and I certainly wasn't saying anyone was right or wrong.
And though the other party may have "started it" it does not give you (or them)the right to fill up the pages with a petty argument
Over a misinterpretation, no less.

Please, stop now.
Preferably before it gets to the point where I report this thread and have it locked.

Alright, Ruby. Since I understand your point of view and respect that and you, I will stop. I am in fact passionate about this topic as you can tell. Although I still don't see how this is spam, as of now, I am done, unless I see another post that I feel the need to address.
applerubber
Really Not Okay
applerubber
December 26th, 2006 at 08:30am

Has anyone seen the movie Breakfast At Tiffany's?
Or maybe a more recent one, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

Both make fun of Chinese people and Indians, and I feel like I have to say this because I myself am Chinese. I'm okay with light humor but when mocking gets too far, I get quite worked up.

Chinese and Indians, in particular, are the butt of racist jokes and were often considered low or inferior. In fact, I have cause to believe that that particular mentality has not died out yet.

Chinese are often interpreted as slant-eyed people with buck teeth and the ever present "fisherman's" straw hat. In fact, Asian's are higher than that. They are now leading the world in technological advancements are are, in all honesty, taking over. Heard of brands like Seiyu? Samsung? Suzuki? All from Asia.

Indians are another that bear the brunt of drunken racism. They're interpreted as people who talk funny, and smell "bad", and curry is often associated with them, as are bindis.
First of all, they can't help but to talk with an indian accent because their pronnounciation and ennunciation of the english language is affected by their use of the Indian language, which is, not compulsory, but what all Indian's should be familiar with.
Secondly, their "smell" is just, due to rich Indian tradition, oils that they wear on their bodies to symbolize different things. We have our own traditions, so lay off theirs.
As of their food choice, perhaps they enjoy spicy food. I am too guilty of such an indulgence. And as for their Bindis, it is required for the traditional Indian to wear them, to symbolize faith, religion and marriage status.

I wish the world would just throw away all the stereotypes and be one body, but that isn't going to happen, because no one can be arsed for having their own fun, no matter how cruel it is, and how it affects others emotionally.
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 26th, 2006 at 09:25am
applerubber:

Has anyone seen the movie Breakfast At Tiffany's?
Or maybe a more recent one, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

Both make fun of Chinese people and Indians, and I feel like I have to say this because I myself am Chinese. I'm okay with light humor but when mocking gets too far, I get quite worked up.

Chinese and Indians, in particular, are the butt of racist jokes and were often considered low or inferior. In fact, I have cause to believe that that particular mentality has not died out yet.

Chinese are often interpreted as slant-eyed people with buck teeth and the ever present "fisherman's" straw hat. In fact, Asian's are higher than that. They are now leading the world in technological advancements are are, in all honesty, taking over. Heard of brands like Seiyu? Samsung? Suzuki? All from Asia.

Indians are another that bear the brunt of drunken racism. They're interpreted as people who talk funny, and smell "bad", and curry is often associated with them, as are bindis.
First of all, they can't help but to talk with an indian accent because their pronnounciation and ennunciation of the english language is affected by their use of the Indian language, which is, not compulsory, but what all Indian's should be familiar with.
Secondly, their "smell" is just, due to rich Indian tradition, oils that they wear on their bodies to symbolize different things. We have our own traditions, so lay off theirs.
As of their food choice, perhaps they enjoy spicy food. I am too guilty of such an indulgence. And as for their Bindis, it is required for the traditional Indian to wear them, to symbolize faith, religion and marriage status.

I wish the world would just throw away all the stereotypes and be one body, but that isn't going to happen, because no one can be arsed for having their own fun, no matter how cruel it is, and how it affects others emotionally.

Wow. First let me tell you how much I admire this post. Not only does it fully answer the question, it uses examples that support your idea. Now I have a few questions. I know that Chinese people get made fun of but I've always seen it as a positive stereotype. (Although a stereotype is still a stereotype no less) Everytime I here someone making fun of a Chinese person its because they are "too smart". If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Some places get more racism towards a certain race than other areas. Also, if the Chinese and Indian people (or any race for that matter) subject themselves to racism by playing a racist part than can we really call it racism? I'd love to hear your point of view.

As for me... I do believe that certain races are more prone to racism such as Middle Eastern people in general. For example, after 9/11 happened MANY hate crimes occured. MANY were discriminated against, just because of how they looked. I was even picked on because my grandfather was Syrian. I had always been proud of that part of me especially because I had inheirted a beautiful last name. But after the terrorist attacks I didn't like that part at all. I completely stopped telling people where my last name orginated from even though most figured it was from the Middle East anyway... Although this has calmed down significantly it still exist. Has anyone seen Borat? Even though the movie is funny (to me at least) its because of the amount of racism in that movie. But its sad that people actually think the things that they said. The bunt of most of the jokes were Jews even though Middle Eastern, homosexuals, and blacks were picked on a little bit. Borat was in the Deep South and was talking to this older man who said, "You might wanna shave off that mustache 'cause you look like one of 'em terrorist." His ignorance is funny to laugh at but its sad that he thinks that...
applerubber
Really Not Okay
applerubber
December 26th, 2006 at 09:42am
Roxx my Soxx:
Wow. First let me tell you how much I admire this post. Not only does it fully answer the question, it uses examples that support your idea. Now I have a few questions. I know that Chinese people get made fun of but I've always it as a positive stereotype. (Although a stereotype is still a stereotype no less) Everytime I here someone making fun of a Chinese person its because they are "too smart". If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Some places get more racism towards a certain race than other areas. Also, if the Chinese and Indian people (or any race for that matter) subject themselves to racism by playing a racist part than can we really call it racism? I'd love to hear your point of view.

As for me... I do believe that certain races are more prone to racism such as Middle Eastern people in general. For example, after 9/11 happened MANY hate crimes occured. MANY were discriminated against, just because of how they looked. I was even picked on because my grandfather was Syrian. I had always been proud of that part of me especially because I had inheirted a beautiful last name. But after the terrorist attacks I didn't like that part at all. I completely stopped telling people where my last name orginated from even though most figured it was from the Middle East anyway... Although this has calmed down significantly it still exist. Has anyone seen Borat? Even though the movie is funny (to me at least) its because of the amount of racism in that movie. But its sad that people actually think the things that they said. The bunt of most of the jokes were Jews even though Middle Eastern, homosexuals, and blacks were picked on a little bit. Borat was in the Deep South and was talking to this older man who said, "You might wanna shave off that mustache 'cause you look like one of 'em terrorist." His ignorance is funny to laugh at but its sad that he thinks that...

Thank you. =)
I'm from Singapore, but I feel it doesn't matter where whoever is from and the racism they're receiving, it's just that the whole idea of racism is very unappealing to some people, and though where I am, we're multicultural and tolerant to other religions and races, I feel that racism in general, or to other people who live in the more"racism-directed" areas in the world, is disgusting.
But I do say most people. Some people don't mind being the butt of racist jokes, just meekly accept it. It's hard to say no to money, after all. And perhaps, they themselves might hate their religion or race, and may feel that if they play these roles, they can laugh it off, and somehow gain an acceptance in society. The call of social acceptance is very strong. I know of some people that hate themselves for being different. Like Michael Jackson, look at the measures he went to just to look white. One should be proud of one's ethnicity.
You should be proud of your name, and your origin, and I think that even though it is very hard at times, you should love yourself. Personally, with an intersting family history, and loving relatives, I feel that it more than makes up for insults aimed at your origin, even though it can be extremely difficult. People must know that the entire middle east cannot be blamed just because one part of it goes and does something drastic, and affects many people, sparking rage, and they take that anger and put it into racism. People HAVE become racist because of September 11th., and though it's reasonable in a way, it's quite unecessary.
I've only seen the picture advert for Borat. But I can tell that he has all the traditional comedy characteristics. It's cruel how we laugh at people's expense. Sometimes, it can affect millions. Though it is funny, but if some people who are not of the race that's being attacked are watching it, they won't feel insulted, or outraged since it's not their race. I only say some, because, like me, others too feel racism in the form of comedy is indeed cruel, and low.
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 26th, 2006 at 11:52am
applerubber:
Thank you. =)
I'm from Singapore, but I feel it doesn't matter where whoever is from and the racism they're receiving, it's just that the whole idea of racism is very unappealing to some people, and though where I am, we're multicultural and tolerant to other religions and races, I feel that racism in general, or to other people who live in the more"racism-directed" areas in the world, is disgusting.
But I do say most people. Some people don't mind being the butt of racist jokes, just meekly accept it. It's hard to say no to money, after all. And perhaps, they themselves might hate their religion or race, and may feel that if they play these roles, they can laugh it off, and somehow gain an acceptance in society. The call of social acceptance is very strong. I know of some people that hate themselves for being different. Like Michael Jackson, look at the measures he went to just to look white. One should be proud of one's ethnicity.
You should be proud of your name, and your origin, and I think that even though it is very hard at times, you should love yourself. Personally, with an intersting family history, and loving relatives, I feel that it more than makes up for insults aimed at your origin, even though it can be extremely difficult. People must know that the entire middle east cannot be blamed just because one part of it goes and does something drastic, and affects many people, sparking rage, and they take that anger and put it into racism. People HAVE become racist because of September 11th., and though it's reasonable in a way, it's quite unecessary.
I've only seen the picture advert for Borat. But I can tell that he has all the traditional comedy characteristics. It's cruel how we laugh at people's expense. Sometimes, it can affect millions. Though it is funny, but if some people who are not of the race that's being attacked are watching it, they won't feel insulted, or outraged since it's not their race. I only say some, because, like me, others too feel racism in the form of comedy is indeed cruel, and low.

I completely agree. Although we may laugh at the movie others may find it highly offensive. My friend, Angela, and I had went to see it together and after we got out I said, "I don't think that movie will be all that funny to a lot of people. Especially Jewish people." And she said, "I know. That movie is gonna piss off America." And I think that's true because many different kinds of people were offened by it. But in a way, it all depends on the person. For example. They made fun of blacks once or twice and used stereotypes but I found it funny because I find myself to have a sense of humor and I tell black racial jokes all the time. The only time I am offended by racial jokes is when I know a racist is telling it or if it uses a racial slur. I have a NO TOLERANCE policy for racial terms...
applerubber
Really Not Okay
applerubber
December 26th, 2006 at 12:40pm
Mmhmm.
Will offer up more about this tomorrow.
Sorry, but it's like 1.40am.
And I just feel so strange.
Night.
Btw, congrats on the contest.
I wanted that mag so badly...
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
December 26th, 2006 at 03:35pm
applerubber:
Mmhmm.
Will offer up more about this tomorrow.
Sorry, but it's like 1.40am.
And I just feel so strange.
Night.
Btw, congrats on the contest.
I wanted that mag so badly...

Alright. Nighty night to you. I intend to continue this conversation tomorrow. Thx btw. I didn't even know I had won until you told me. I'm sooo happy. Ttyl.
Hester Pryne
Killjoy
Hester Pryne
December 27th, 2006 at 12:42pm
As to the word "cracker" being just as bad as "nigger" that is totally untrue. The word nigger was a derivative of the spanish word for black "negro" used when talking about black people in a derogatory way.

"Cracker" was the word used for South Georgian/North Floridian cowboys because of the whips they used on the cows ("cracker" has nothing to do with slave masters, fyi) to differentiate them from regular cowboys from the west/southwest. The term came to be synonymous with red neck and spread across the South, it is not necessarily or specifically a racist term for white people, especially since black and native american men could also be "crakcers" if they were cowboys.

nigger=racist slur
cracker=cowboy or redneck

Big Difference

Back to the Topic:

Throughout history I think caucasians have been the initiators of racism, though that racism may or mayn't be quickly returned. I think it is because the overwhelming majority of Europeans/Americans have been white, and for the last few thousand years Europeans (beginning with the Romans) have been the leaders of the known world.

I don't think discriminating against a person because of something they can't change is right, anytime.You should only judge someone by their character.

Is racism still harmful if it doesn't manifest in violence or verbal abuse? Why or why not?

Yes because there is still discrimination. Someone may act nice to you and even still say noce things about you when you're not around, but that doesn't change the fact that the officer pulled you over because of DWB, when the person driving next to you was speeding even more.

Nice words don't change the fact that no matter what the facts are, no matter what the evidence says, I am less likely to get a favourable judgement in court, because I'm black.

Nice words don't change the fact that though my sister graduated at the top of her class and had credentials and recommendation galore, she only got her teaching job because the school had to meet their quota. If that wasn't there her job would have gone to less qualified white teachers, and once that school changed principals that actually started happening. It's only because she's an over-achiever that her job isn't in danger. She can't do the average job that everyone else is doing, or she could be fired.

Nice words don't change the fact that when we got in an accident, the white guy from the other car could totally invade the white police officers space, even when he was getting kinda excited, but even though my dad was calm, cool, and collected he kind of had to keep his distance from the officer.

No one says anything but everyone knows that I as a black person have to act different, better, to get the same respect that a white person gets.
Killing_Jar
Really Not Okay
Killing_Jar
December 27th, 2006 at 01:41pm
Hester Pryne:
As to the word "cracker" being just as bad as "nigger" that is totally untrue. The word nigger was a derivative of the spanish word for black "negro" used when talking about black people in a derogatory way.

"Cracker" was the word used for South Georgian/North Floridian cowboys because of the whips they used on the cows ("cracker" has nothing to do with slave masters, fyi) to differentiate them from regular cowboys from the west/southwest. The term came to be synonymous with red neck and spread across the South, it is not necessarily or specifically a racist term for white people, especially since black and native american men could also be "crakcers" if they were cowboys.

nigger=racist slur
cracker=cowboy or redneck

Big Difference

Despite the historical meanings, they are both just as bad. Both terms are used for hate, and are both racial slurs. They are both used in a negative way, and that can not be argued.