Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
sci-fi-noise
Jazz Hands
sci-fi-noise
November 25th, 2008 at 03:56pm
^
The whole Christianity ruling most people thing is mainly in America. Our government embraces it. If you go to other countries it's waaaay different of course it depends what country you go too. I think people don't test or explore other ideas in the US as much as they could.
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
November 26th, 2008 at 04:10pm
i believe theres a form of higher power
i like to believe that cause sometimes because of it in the darkest times you find hope
but to what that higher power is specifically i dont know
i just like to think of it as something that just wants good for the world
hhahaha maybe i sound ridiculous but im not exactly sure hwo to explain it
i guess im not specifically any religion, maybe a little more christian
im not too into the church though
i guess im just not entirely sure what i exacttttlllly believe in
but what i said above is what i like to think
hahaha sorry if this sounds like nonesense
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
November 26th, 2008 at 06:52pm
My Dear Delirious:
One thing I always wonder is, that there are so many different religions out there, why do we just think Christianity as the "real" one or whatever. Everyone thinks they have it right....well obvisously someone has it wrong...but who really is to say?

I think that a lot myself. Being a Christian I wonder though,what if we're not right? What if like,the Muslim's are right? Who knows.
conor oberst.
Bleeding on the Floor
conor oberst.
November 27th, 2008 at 01:21am
i came here a while ago. saying i'm a christian but didn't feel like one. now my view has changed. i believe there is a God. who created the earth and looks over us. becuase i find it impossible to believe that we're all here by coincidence. but i don't fully believe in christianity its self. i think that the bible has been corrupted by humans so it fits with what we want to make people believe.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 29th, 2008 at 10:38am
Ligature.:
^
The whole Christianity ruling most people thing is mainly in America. Our government embraces it. If you go to other countries it's waaaay different of course it depends what country you go too. I think people don't test or explore other ideas in the US as much as they could.

I think the US is one country where you can have a different religion and people (generally) won't hate you. I'd say there's more countries that don't allow this than one's that do. I mean if you look at the war in Iraq and all the conflicts in the middle east (besides the US's involvement) they revolve around religion.

My Dear Delirious:
One thing I always wonder is, that there are so many different religions out there, why do we just think Christianity as the "real" one or whatever. Everyone thinks they have it right....well obvisously someone has it wrong...but who really is to say?

Why does someone have to have it wrong?
idk. my bff jill?:

I think that a lot myself. Being a Christian I wonder though,what if we're not right? What if like,the Muslim's are right? Who knows.

I believe that everyone is right. I mean I truly believe that all religions are just different paths to the same God. I don't see why there has to be just one 'right' way. Everyone is different, so it makes sense that different people would follow different paths to God. There is no right or wrong way.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 29th, 2008 at 07:34pm
Eponine:
I believe that everyone is right. I mean I truly believe that all religions are just different paths to the same God. I don't see why there has to be just one 'right' way. Everyone is different, so it makes sense that different people would follow different paths to God. There is no right or wrong way.
And what about Atheists? They obviously don't believe in any god, so what path do you think they take? Just curious.

I think it's natural for people to think their religion or belief system is correct, or the "right one".
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 29th, 2008 at 08:02pm
Epinone said all religions though. Can atheism, if that's the right word, be counted as a Religion?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 29th, 2008 at 08:50pm
Mindfuck:
And what about Atheists? They obviously don't believe in any god, so what path do you think they take? Just curious.

I think it's natural for people to think their religion or belief system is correct, or the "right one".

They may not believe in God, but they probably believe in something. That's the only answer I have. Even if someone doesn't believe in God doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have God in their lives somewhere. I don't know. That's just my opinion.

I've always found it weird that people can think that only one religion or way of life is the 'right way'. It may be the right one for one person, but like I said everyone's different.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 29th, 2008 at 10:04pm
Utada Hikaru:
Epinone said all religions though. Can atheism, if that's the right word, be counted as a Religion?
Actually, what Eponine said was she thinks all religions "are pathways to the same god" or something to that effect.
Atheists do not believe in god(s). I'm an Atheist, and i don't see Atheism as being a religion. It's more of a lack of religion where I'm concerned. Maybe other Atheists see Atheism differently.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 29th, 2008 at 10:40pm
mindfuck:
Actually, what Eponine said was she thinks all religions "are pathways to the same god" or something to that effect.
Atheists do not believe in god(s). I'm an Atheist, and i don't see Atheism as being a religion. It's more of a lack of religion where I'm concerned. Maybe other Atheists see Atheism differently.
That's exactly it. Atheism is a lack of religion/lack of belief of a higher power. I myself am Christian, although I disagree with some things my church teaches, and we, obviously, are taught that our way is the 'right' way. But so is every other religion. I disagree with Eponine when she says that all religions are pathways to the same God- there really does have to be one *right* religion, because each religion teaches such different things, different morals and different values, that they can't all lead the same place. That's like saying a map that says 'go 10 miles north' and one that starts from the same point that says 'go 10 miles south' are going to make you end up in the same location. Is Christianity the one and only true path to heaven/God/ the 'good' place to end up? I'm not sure; other Christians can scoff at me all they want, but we don't know. The answer 'well, God says Christianity is the one true way to Heaven' is BS because different religions teach the same thing. 'So-and-so [their god] said that such-and-such [their religion] is the true way to heaven/whatever they believe about the afterlife.' So, we can't know that our religion, or lack of one, is the 'correct' way to go because not one person alive on this earth knows what God wants, or even if there is a God. And we really won't know until we die, but I believe that if you lead a moral life you'll be granted the graces of heaven even if you arn't Catholic. /rant.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 29th, 2008 at 11:18pm
One Thousand Oceans:
That's exactly it. Atheism is a lack of religion/lack of belief of a higher power. I myself am Christian, although I disagree with some things my church teaches, and we, obviously, are taught that our way is the 'right' way. But so is every other religion. I disagree with Eponine when she says that all religions are pathways to the same God- there really does have to be one *right* religion, because each religion teaches such different things, different morals and different values, that they can't all lead the same place. That's like saying a map that says 'go 10 miles north' and one that starts from the same point that says 'go 10 miles south' are going to make you end up in the same location. Is Christianity the one and only true path to heaven/God/ the 'good' place to end up? I'm not sure; other Christians can scoff at me all they want, but we don't know. The answer 'well, God says Christianity is the one true way to Heaven' is BS because different religions teach the same thing. 'So-and-so [their god] said that such-and-such [their religion] is the true way to heaven/whatever they believe about the afterlife.' So, we can't know that our religion, or lack of one, is the 'correct' way to go because not one person alive on this earth knows what God wants, or even if there is a God. And we really won't know until we die, but I believe that if you lead a moral life you'll be granted the graces of heaven even if you arn't Catholic. /rant.

Life isn't the same as a map though, and that's not even what I was saying. A correct analogy would be that if you follow a map that says go 10 miles north and another that says go 2 miles west then 10 miles north then 2 miles east. You would end up in the same place. We all end up dead in the end, and I believe that we all go on to the same place after death. So in my mind no matter what you do you'll still end up there. All religions do teach the same basic morals though. Such as not killing, and be kind to one another. So you're wrong there. Saying that there is only one right religion is saying that there's only one way to live your life. You contradict yourself by saying that there is only one right religion and then saying that everyone who lives a moral life will get into heaven. If they aren't apart of that one 'right' religion, but are apart of another that has different morals, then if they live their life according to their morals they won't get into heaven, but they will still have lived a moral life. I believe that there is one God who care for all, no matter what religion, creed, or lifestyle. I was taught that God loves everyone equally, and if he does then that means there is no 'wrong' religion.
I think it's close minded to say that there is only one 'right' way of life.
And also, I'm not the one who originally said that, I believe it was originally stated by Ghandi.
sci-fi-noise
Jazz Hands
sci-fi-noise
November 30th, 2008 at 02:43am
[quote="Eponine"]
Ligature.:
^

I think the US is one country where you can have a different religion and people (generally) won't hate you. I'd say there's more countries that don't allow this than one's that do. I mean if you look at the war in Iraq and all the conflicts in the middle east (besides the US's involvement) they revolve around religion.

I agree. I had said 'as much as they could' meaning in the US you have the freedom to practice so many religions from other coultures but the "main one" is christianity. Or the one with my expeirience media or most people support is christian beleifs.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 30th, 2008 at 01:16pm
I don't agree that every path is a pathway to "God" per se, unless you are willing to alter your definition of same. The African tribes and the occultists still believe in many gods and goddesses, and the Buddhists worship nature. Atheists worship nothing - they believe in science, and Scientology is based on the concept of the "clear," or Higher Self. I mean, if this thought process, that everyone winds up in heaven at the end, enables you to behave less discriminatorally towards others, then great, but it's not really accurate, just sayin...

Ligature.:
I think the US is one country where you can have a different religion and people (generally) won't hate you.
While that SHOULD be true, it isn't. However, if a hate crime can be established, it will be prosecuted. Go establish one down South or in the Midwest someplace though - good luck with that one. I have seen firsthand how much prejudice there still is in my country, despite the fact that I reside in a "melting pot" city. It makes me sick.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 30th, 2008 at 01:22pm
Oops Embarassed
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 30th, 2008 at 07:39pm
Eponine:

Why does someone have to have it wrong?
cause if everyone is right then they are all wrong, cause like in Christianity it says if you aren't a Christian you'll burn in hell. So if everyone was right and then how would that work out?
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 30th, 2008 at 10:59pm
Eponine-
I don't contradict myself; my religion as a whole teaches that if you arn't Christian you won't get to heaven/there's only one true religion, but i PERSONALLY believe that anyone who leads a complete moral life will get to the 'right place' unless they completely deny the existance of God, because it'd be pretty hard to get somewhere you don't believe in. And, actually, most/all religions don't have the same morals, and 'do not kill' isn't one of them. Ever heard of suicide bombing? A lot of religions teach that everyone who won't convert to theirs should die. No Christian denominations teach that, but, some Muslims, for example, are taught that we should either a) be Muslim or b) die. Every religion teaches different things. Apostalic Lutherens arn't allowed to watch TV, wear makeup, paint their nails, etc. Catholics believe in the True Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist while Lutherens don't. Everyone believes different things. I'm honestly not sure my beliefs are true, but I think that if someone isn't Christian but is nice/a good person, helps people, does good deeds, etc., they won't be sent to hell because that'd be extremly against everything Christians believe, a.k.a that our God is a 'just and fair' God.
[sorry for the uncomprehendiability of that all, I'm running on no sleep and about a dozen cups of coffee writing my midterm essays. ><.]
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 1st, 2008 at 08:12am
i believe in God and jesus,moses,mohammad,noah and all the prophets..my friends think its stupid of me..i just wanna go to heaven..
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 1st, 2008 at 08:22am
one of my little sisters friends is muslim and she's very passionate about it. God must love her:
cuz once when she was there to my lil sis' birthday party [that was stupid, trust me] i wanted to lock myself up in my room and go on the computer 'cause all those lil kids annoyed me and i get irritated around them.
when i clicked on the 'on' button of the computer the computer turned white and all colorful instead of black and that white writing.
i was like "oh shit the f*ckin thing isn't working" and she was like "i know, i prayed to God that it wouldn't work and He answered my prayers, God loves me"
And i got a little scared then..i mean you don't meet God-beloved people everyday., do you?
its crazy complicated..
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 1st, 2008 at 08:30am
idk. my bff jill?:
My Dear Delirious:

______

what if ?
yeah qud question, read what i wrote above.. maybe,,
i just wished i knew why so many people became muslims..(michael jackson,einstein,my neighbour etc.) and why does no one become christian exept if they're born one?
lisbeth salander.
Shotgun Sinner
lisbeth salander.
December 1st, 2008 at 09:59am
idk. my bff jill?:
My Dear Delirious:

That's the reason why I'm agnostic.

I was raised as a Christian. My faith has somewhat disappeared over the past couple of years though :/.

I don't intend to offend anyone, but can someone pwease highlight the main differences between just a 'normal' Christian and a Catholic? It's always confused me xD.