Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 1st, 2008 at 07:46pm
x.tears.never.fall.x:

when i clicked on the 'on' button of the computer the computer turned white and all colorful instead of black and that white writing.
i was like "oh shit the f*ckin thing isn't working" and she was like "i know, i prayed to God that it wouldn't work and He answered my prayers, God loves me"
And i got a little scared then.
You should've just rebooted the computer. It probably would have solved the problem.
x.tears.never.fall.x:

i just wished i knew why so many people became muslims..(michael jackson,einstein,my neighbour etc.) and why does no one become christian exept if they're born one?[/size]
What? There are loads of people who become born-again Christians. I don't see how you can say "why does no one become one unless they're born one", because people do convert to Christianity.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 1st, 2008 at 07:47pm
dp
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 1st, 2008 at 07:56pm
Catholics believe that Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist, really, is the main difference between Catholics and 'normal' Christians, but other reasons are " Sola scriptura " or, the belief that the bible is the only thing to base religion on instead of "Divine Tradition,", Catholic priests/biishops/the Pope can't get married while other Christian denominations can, etc. There's basically just a lot of little differences. Here's an article that lists some-
Click
Hope I helped. =]
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
December 1st, 2008 at 08:00pm
One Thousand Oceans:
Catholics believe that Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist, really, is the main difference between Catholics and 'normal' Christians, but other reasons are " Sola scriptura " or, the belief that the bible is the only thing to base religion on instead of "Divine Tradition,", Catholic priests/biishops/the Pope can't get married while other Christian denominations can, etc. There's basically just a lot of little differences. Here's an article that lists some-
Click
Hope I helped. =]

Really? I didn't even know that, and I'm Catholic. I get a little peeved though, when people say that Catholics aren't Christian, we still are, like that's ridiculous.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 1st, 2008 at 08:06pm
That's very true- Christianity and Catholism used to be one and the same- people broke off and created religions off of the Catholic church but Catholics were the first Christians.
And, yeah. Lots of little details that I only learned after making friends with non-Catholics. x]
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 2nd, 2008 at 06:45am
i think people should just respect other people if they got other religions, may be they know something that we don't..
Or maybe they're just that religion cuz their parents are from that religion too, and they can't (and won't) help it
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 2nd, 2008 at 06:48am
I've read lots of posts here from people that are born christian but don't really believe in that religion
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 2nd, 2008 at 06:52am
Mindfuck:
x.tears.never.fall.x:

when i clicked on the 'on' button of the computer the computer turned white and all colorful instead of black and that white writing.
i was like "oh shit the f*ckin thing isn't working" and she was like "i know, i prayed to God that it wouldn't work and He answered my prayers, God loves me"
And i got a little scared then.
You should've just rebooted the computer. It probably would have solved the problem.
x.tears.never.fall.x:

i just wished i knew why so many people became muslims..(michael jackson,einstein,my neighbour etc.) and why does no one become christian exept if they're born one?[/size]
What? There are loads of people who become born-again Christians. I don't see how you can say "why does no one become one unless they're born one", because people do convert to Christianity.

sorry, sometimes i blab stupid stuff ...
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 2nd, 2008 at 06:56am
and i did restart the stupid computer but it was still just the same..I don't really believe in this myself i'm sure it was just something f*cking technical cuz, well our computer just sucks
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 2nd, 2008 at 06:59am
^^ I know you're new but a lot of what you're posting is spam. This area is for serious discussions. A mod has already warned you once. Please respect the rules.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 3rd, 2008 at 10:13am
Catholicism is just one FORM (or sect) of Christianity, as are Protestant, Baptist, Seventh-Day Adventist, Methodist, Mormon, etc. Similarly, Judaism has sects: Orthodox, Reformed, Hassidic, etc. For some reason, there are people now who have taken to referring to themselves simply as "Christian," insisting that it's its own thing, when it isn't.

The practice of being "born again" as I understand it is simply to have oneself baptized and then embrace a more evangelical lifestyle.

Catholicism is, as far as I know, the only sect that prohibits marriage among its priests. Catholics also worship Saints and the Virgin Mary - it is my understanding that they are unique in this practice.

If living a church life makes you happy, I am not here to begrudge you that, however, there can be no denying that the churches (all of them) are rooted with problems: corruption, child molestation, backward viewpoints...I think an intelligent person should take only what they need from the church and nothing more. No one should sit back, never questioning ANY authority - it doesn't matter which authority it is. And even the Bible could contain errors - we know for a fact that ancient Hebrew is unable to be translated 100% accurately, and the stories are written from human standpoints, i.e. each party's personal values do come into play, thereby not making them completely God's viewpoints, capiche?

At the end of the day, how we should treat one another is common sense, and any organization that actively encourages discrimination is suspect to me, no matter what it claims to be following.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 3rd, 2008 at 06:23pm
Deb:

If living a church life makes you happy, I am not here to begrudge you that, however, there can be no denying that the churches (all of them) are rooted with problems: corruption, child molestation, backward viewpoints...
This is true, however, many non religious people deal with corruption, child molestation, and backwards view points, possibly not on religion, but on many other things.
Deb:

I think an intelligent person should take only what they need from the church and nothing more. No one should sit back, never questioning ANY authority - it doesn't matter which authority it is. And even the Bible could contain errors - we know for a fact that ancient Hebrew is unable to be translated 100% accurately, and the stories are written from human standpoints, i.e. each party's personal values do come into play, thereby not making them completely God's viewpoints, capiche?
This is true, however, my religion, at least, teaches that the Bible was written through Divine Inspiration, in other words, God directly wrote it through a person, and that it's NOT the person's view.
Deb:

At the end of the day, how we should treat one another is common sense, and any organization that actively encourages discrimination is suspect to me, no matter what it claims to be following.

And, again, my religion does NOT discriminate against anyone; I have many non-Christian friends, as do many of my other Christian friends, and we don't discriminate against anyone else. We'd like everyone to join our religion, but we don't discriminate against those who do.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 4th, 2008 at 12:03am
One Thousand Oceans:
That's very true- Christianity and Catholism used to be one and the same- people broke off and created religions off of the Catholic church but Catholics were the first Christians.
And, yeah. Lots of little details that I only learned after making friends with non-Catholics. x]
and Catholism branched off from Jewdism.

I just want to throw out another question, how do you feel of people of two different faiths marrying or dating? I was raised Christian but I consider myself agnostic (even though I do pray and I believe there is a God) and my ex boyfriend was Celtic, we never even talked about religion (even though we are getting back together if things go as planned) but is that a recipe to fail even though neither of us shove our views down each others throats and we both accept each other religion and all.

But with the same thing I had a friend whose boyfriend dumped her just because she was catholic and he was christian. So should we only exclude ourselves to people of the exact same faith?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 4th, 2008 at 12:14am
Deb:
If living a church life makes you happy, I am not here to begrudge you that, however, there can be no denying that the churches (all of them) are rooted with problems: corruption, child molestation, backward viewpoints...I think an intelligent person should take only what they need from the church and nothing more. No one should sit back, never questioning ANY authority - it doesn't matter which authority it is. And even the Bible could contain errors - we know for a fact that ancient Hebrew is unable to be translated 100% accurately, and the stories are written from human standpoints, i.e. each party's personal values do come into play, thereby not making them completely God's viewpoints, capiche?

Everything you state i completely agree with. I was raised strict southern baptist, and I was raised in a cult like way, I have many many stories about that. But the thing is about southern baptist is they stick to everything they think the bible is and if you don't follow one rule then you'll go to hell. Obviously that includes things like homosexuals, other religions, people who watch horror movies and/or Harry Potter etc.

Now considering the fact how many "christians" I know at this church who in all honesty look down on other people for not being as "holy" as them and shove the bible down everyone's throat (not all christians are like that, but I know alot like this) I find it funny that they are so demeaning towards others based on what one book says. Now I realize that books teach alot and so on, but no one can prove everything in the bible is true, nobody can say for sure if there aren't parts cut out that would "approve" of such "sins" as like homosexuality, but those parts were simply dismissed. Just nobody really knows if the bible wasn't just written by like 4 men instead of 40. People create religions all the time, Pastaferian which praises the Flying Spagettie Monster many believe was created to prove how ridiculous religion really is and they ended up getting hundreds of followers
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 4th, 2008 at 01:26am
My Dear Delirious:
and Catholism branched off from Jewdism.
Uh, it's "Judaism", not "Jewdism". Shifty2

My Dear Delirious:
I just want to throw out another question, how do you feel of people of two different faiths marrying or dating?
Personally, I don't care what other people do or what faiths they are. If both people feel happy with each other and they can make their relationship work despite their differences, then who am I to judge?
Although I think it would be hard to make it work. I think people naturally try and seek out people of the same faith as them, but not always.

My Dear Delirious:
So should we only exclude ourselves to people of the exact same faith?
Only if we want to. I don't see a problem with exclusively dating people of the same faith as you. As I stated above, I personally think a lot of people try to date people of the same faith as them. I'm an Atheist, and although I have friends and family who are religious, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable dating someone who was completely religious. It wouldn't work for me.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 4th, 2008 at 09:56am
One Thousand Oceans:
This is true, however, many non religious people deal with corruption, child molestation, and backwards view points, possibly not on religion, but on many other things.
Okayyyyy but that wasn't the topic of conversation, though, was it? Religion is the topic of conversation.

One Thousand Oceans:
my religion, at least, teaches that the Bible was written through Divine Inspiration, in other words, God directly wrote it through a person, and that it's NOT the person's view.
I realize that is what is being taught, but common sense dictates that any time a person has "edited" a document, they have put their own spin on things, and remember too that pieces of the New Testament were from the Apostle's perspectives, NOT God's.

One Thousand Oceans:
my religion does NOT discriminate against anyone; we'd like everyone to join our religion, but we don't discriminate against those who do.
Religion does not discriminate in and of itself, church leaders encourage that. As to your second statement, it should not matter to you who does or does not follow your particular religion - that is for you to do. You should not be concerned with what others are doing.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 4th, 2008 at 10:05am
My Dear Delirious:
I just want to throw out another question, how do you feel of people of two different faiths marrying or dating?

I am Christian and my husband is atheist, and we just celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary and have been together 13 years total. His best friend is Catholic, the wife is Jewish, and they are raising their son with the teachings of both faiths with the idea that he will choose which faith he believes when he is old enough to do so, and they will both accept his choice the way they accept each other's.

From a Christian perspective (so mine, and my husband's best friend) the Bible teaches that two faiths should try not to intertwine, but if they do, that it is best to make the match work than divorce. You can find this in 1 Corinthians 7:12-16, which basically states that the union is sanctified through the believing spouse, and that if both are happy then they should remain together.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
December 5th, 2008 at 07:07pm
Deb:
Catholicism is just one FORM (or sect) of Christianity, as are Protestant, Baptist, Seventh-Day Adventist, Methodist, Mormon, etc. Similarly, Judaism has sects: Orthodox, Reformed, Hassidic, etc. For some reason, there are people now who have taken to referring to themselves simply as "Christian," insisting that it's its own thing, when it isn't.

Exactly. Catholicism is still a part of Christianity. I sometimes refer to myself, or my family as Christian though, as just a blanket term, even though we are specifically Catholic.

Catholicism is, as far as I know, the only sect that prohibits marriage among its priests. Catholics also worship Saints and the Virgin Mary - it is my understanding that they are unique in this practice.

That's not true. While I haven't been to church recently I think I can say that we don't worship saints or the Mary. If we did that would be worshiping someone other than God, which is kind of a no no.
I'm against the no marriage rule though, and the no women rule. I think it's archaic and not necessary. The no marriage I can kinda understand. If you're supposed to devote yourself entirely to God having a spouse and children would make it hard to do that. But yeah we don't [i]worship[/] saints or Mary.

I think any organized establishment is bound to have corruption somewhere. No one's perfect, which is why people need to do exactly as you say, and understand that, because those who run the church are human they are going to make mistakes. Instead of thinking that they are infallible beings of truth.

This is where it gets muddy because each parish is different, and while the whole religion may say things that are discriminatory. That's of course not necessarily what everyone believes. Some parishes are not open-minded and are against (for example) Gays, my parish is not, that's not something they preach about, I'm not against gays or gay marriage but a Presbyterian friend of mine's church does 'preach' against gays and gay marriage.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 5th, 2008 at 09:40pm
Eponine:

That's not true. While I haven't been to church recently I think I can say that we don't worship saints or the Mary. If we did that would be worshiping someone other than God, which is kind of a no no.
But yeah we don't worship saints or Mary.

But the Catholics put the Saints as being closer to God, and they invoke their aid based on their particular attribute, correct? So, people who need intercession on behalf of desperation would invoke Jude and ask him to pray to God for them, is that right? But Mary is given favor over all because of her devoutness and being chosen as the mother of Jesus, so she sits next to God and can intercede on behalf of her followers?

(I'm not Catholic, but have attended Mass. It's been awhile and I don't remember all the particulars.)
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 5th, 2008 at 10:39pm
Eponine:
I think I can say that we don't worship saints or the Mary. If we did that would be worshiping someone other than God, which is kind of a no no. But yeah we don't worship saints or Mary.
Well it's the Holy Trinity, actually, right? God, Jesus, Holy Ghost. Tabs explained it well - the Saints and Mary above them are considered go-betweens - you are praying to them. You aren't worshipping them as false idols before God, but you are bowing down before them.

Eponine:
I think any organized establishment is bound to have corruption somewhere.
Agreed - but we are not discussing other organized establishments in this thread, just the church.

Eponine:
This is where it gets muddy because each parish is different, and while the whole religion may say things that are discriminatory. That's of course not necessarily what everyone believes. Some parishes are not open-minded and are against (for example) Gays, my parish is not, that's not something they preach about, I'm not against gays or gay marriage but a Presbyterian friend of mine's church does 'preach' against gays and gay marriage.
Of course each parish is different. When I say that the church has been used as a platform to discriminate or commit evil, this does not mean I am blaming the religion itself for this. The problem, however, is that the infrastructures are not set up to properly deal with such things. It's similar to the Blue Wall of Silence - worshippers don't deign to question their parish, and the parish itself gets busy covering up their messes rather than adequately punishing them. Intolerance is kept alive by insisting that unconventional behavior is "against God" when there is really never a clearcut method of proving this.