Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
December 6th, 2008 at 03:29pm
Deb:
Well it's the Holy Trinity, actually, right? God, Jesus, Holy Ghost. Tabs explained it well - the Saints and Mary above them are considered go-betweens - you are praying to them. You aren't worshipping them as false idols before God, but you are bowing down before them.

Holy Trinity or God it's the same thing. 'bowing down' before them would be worship, and we don't do that. Praying = talking, not worshiping or 'bowing down'. They are simply recognized as good people. They are examples of how one can choose to live their life.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
December 7th, 2008 at 04:30pm
Eponine:
Holy Trinity or God it's the same thing.

To you. A lot of religions don't believe in the trinity but still believe in the same God that Christians do (i.e. Islam.)
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
December 7th, 2008 at 04:39pm
Deb:
Well it's the Holy Trinity, actually, right? God, Jesus, Holy Ghost.

Father, Son, Holy Ghost.
A.K.A. Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit.

All three are God, just in different forms.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
December 7th, 2008 at 06:54pm
Faye Merci:
To you. A lot of religions don't believe in the trinity but still believe in the same God that Christians do (i.e. Islam.)

We were discussing only Catholicism, but yes I know what you mean. It's what The Rumor said. They are all three just God in different forms. Of course others may not see it that way, but I can't help that others misinterpret it.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 8th, 2008 at 09:46am
I am reasonably certain that God the Father and the man who is considered to be his son, Jesus, are not viewed as one and the same, but rather two separate entities, in the Catholic religion, and the Holy Spirit is the embodiment of, is it not? That's my recollection. Furthermore, if you are praying to a Saint to help you out with something, that's worship in my eyes, and that's the practice as I understand it to be.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
December 8th, 2008 at 09:57am
Deb:
I am reasonably certain that God the Father and the man who is considered to be his son, Jesus, are not viewed as one and the same, but rather two separate entities, in the Catholic religion, and the Holy Spirit is the embodiment of, is it not? That's my recollection. Furthermore, if you are praying to a Saint to help you out with something, that's worship in my eyes, and that's the practice as I understand it to be.

Well, I can't seem to explain it any clearer to you. That's not what it is, but if that's what you want to think, then fine.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 8th, 2008 at 10:55am
Eponine:
Well, I can't seem to explain it any clearer to you. That's not what it is, but if that's what you want to think, then fine.
It's not a matter of "what I want to think," it's my understanding of the religion based upon my son's six years of Catholic school instruction and what his father's family and all of my Catholic best friends have taught me that it is. I'll thank you not to speak so condescendingly to me - if you have another way of explaining how you view the Trinity, fine, but I am not an idiot; I know fully well what I am saying.

By the way, I think this is backing up what I have said, and possibly clearing up any confusion. It seems to me that the misinterpretation is on your end, not ours, and that it's a common one.
Hara-Kiri
Killjoy
Hara-Kiri
December 8th, 2008 at 01:51pm
I used to be athiest ,a strong "believer" in it, ironicly. lol. Then I started believing that no religion is wrong. I believed that whatever your religion was, it was right for you, as long as you fallowed the rules of your religion you get to heaven. I told my christian friends that there is a God...for them, not me. But now i am christian, people tell me to prove that god is real, but really you can only prove it to yourself.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
December 8th, 2008 at 08:10pm
Eponine:
We were discussing only Catholicism, but yes I know what you mean. It's what The Rumor said. They are all three just God in different forms. Of course others may not see it that way, but I can't help that others misinterpret it.

I went to Catholic school all my life and church twice a week. I know about it supposedly being the same dude in three forms.

Misinterpret? Do you mean to say that all other religions have it wrong, if they don't believe in the Holy Trinity?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 8th, 2008 at 08:26pm
The Rumor:

Father, Son, Holy Ghost.
A.K.A. Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit.

All three are God, just in different forms.
all of them are the same person, yet seperated but all equal, it gets kinda confusing. But basically they all are the same and one but seperated
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 8th, 2008 at 08:50pm
Eponine:
Of course others may not see it that way, but I can't help that others misinterpret it.
Just because they don't have the same idea as you it doesn't necessarily mean they're misinterpreting it Shifty2
Just a different interpretation, maybe?
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 8th, 2008 at 09:46pm
I was taught that the Holy Trinity was the three forms of God. God Himself, the creator; Jesus the Son, the human incarnation of God; and the Holy Spirit, the omnipotent, non-corporeal form of God that permeates the world. I'm not sure if that's a Catholic belief, or Baptist, or Protestant, or whatever, but that was the idea that made the most sense to me.

I guess I put it at the same level as maybe the Eucharist. Some people believe that the wine and bread transubstatiate into the actual body and blood of Christ, while others (like myself) believe that it is simply symbolic of the body and blood, that it is simply bread and wine. I don't really feel that either is wrong; to some it is the transubstatiation itself that makes taking Communion a holy event, whereas others feel that by following Christ's example and taking a bit of bread and wine as He did is enough to put you as one with Him.

A lot of these ideas, I think that there is room for each person to interpret them their own way, and put weight, value, and holiness to each in the way that brings them closest to God. Seeing as *that* is the true importance, to quibble over semantics lessens it. As long as each person comes to God through whatever path makes the most sense to them, then the message is heard.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 8th, 2008 at 10:00pm
I just supplied you the source - this is not about my opinion, it's about how the religion is being interpreted. The entities, the source is saying, are individuals but part of a whole, like fingers on a hand. I didn't say it was being misinterpreted, the source did.

Other religions and their beliefs have nothing to do with this particular point - we were just discussing what the Holy Trinity is to Catholics. To me, no one particular religion is right or wrong - I don't think that way.

I don't have a problem with people putting their own spin on things - in fact, I would encourage it! I was objecting to being told that I don't know what I am talking about at all, and therefore produced a source to help me clarify what I had been taught. I am not looking to put anyone down for what they believe - what a boring world it would be if we all thought the same!

The only time I have an issue with another's beliefs is if they are backed up by harm to others.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
December 8th, 2008 at 10:52pm
Deb:
I just supplied you the source - this is not about my opinion, it's about how the religion is being interpreted. The entities, the source is saying, are individuals but part of a whole, like fingers on a hand. I didn't say it was being misinterpreted, the source did.

Other religions and their beliefs have nothing to do with this particular point - we were just discussing what the Holy Trinity is to Catholics. To me, no one particular religion is right or wrong - I don't think that way.

What I stated, is what I have always been taught. I'm sort of confused by what you're saying, but whatever sorry for getting snippy. Your finger/hand analogy is basically what I was trying to say. So yeah, I'm a bit confused. I agree with you though, that no religion is right or wrong. So yeah, sorry.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 9th, 2008 at 09:49am
Eponine:
I'm sort of confused by what you're saying, but whatever sorry for getting snippy. Your finger/hand analogy is basically what I was trying to say. So yeah, I'm a bit confused. I agree with you though, that no religion is right or wrong. So yeah, sorry.
The snippiness is forgiven; I'm sorry I had to do the same in return <hugs you> I am aware that the concept of Trinity is confusing; the article points this out as well.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
January 28th, 2009 at 08:01pm
well my family are christians, and i have always thought of myself as a christian from that fact... but because of that, i havnt found it myself so i dont know what i believe in anymore... on one side, theres my family, who believe very much in the christian faith... then on the other hand, there my non christian friends, and well the world... who dont believe in god at all... so at the moment im sorta in between, i still believe in god, but on some points i dont no what i should think or not... like no sex before marriage! and no drinking (although i have got drunk a lot of times, just my parents dont no)... but then theres my dad.. who hates all non christian music! hes always moans about the music im into... like take my chemical romance, if my dad knew i was a big fan of them, he would freak! it just really annoys me i cant be myself around them, as im scared what they would say as they dont believe in it! I just can not wait to move out and get on with my life as i want to! (im 16 now) im always having to keep scetreats, just because i want to life has a teenager should!! anyone else felt like this??
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 29th, 2009 at 09:26am
ClaireBear016:
theres my family, who believe very much in the christian faith... then on the other hand, there my non christian friends, and well the world... who dont believe in god at all... so at the moment im sorta in between, i still believe in god, but on some points i dont no what i should think or not...like take my chemical romance, if my dad knew i was a big fan of them, he would freak! it just really annoys me i cant be myself around them.
It's difficult to live with people who have such differing beliefs than you do, especially when they are in a position of authority over you, but I just want to let you to know that plenty of non-Christians believe in some form of "God," just not necessarily the Christian version.
KimberLeeey.
Killjoy
KimberLeeey.
February 17th, 2009 at 10:38pm
I'm really confused about my religion right now. I accepted Jesus into my heart five years ago, so I'm a christian, and my best friend is catholic, but I have so many non christian friends, and I sort of feel pressured to make them happy. And it's even more upsetting and confusing that I listen to/love MCR, because i think my Mum thinks that MCR are turning me into an atheist who is going to kill everybody. I hate being in religion-limbo y'know?
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
February 18th, 2009 at 06:25am

'IwishIwasJamia', you shouldn't have to feel 'pressured' into religion. Religion is a very private thing and it is hard to find two people that believe exactly the same thing but that is what makes us human beings- we're opinionated and our thoughts will never be identical to that of someone else. If you choose a certain religion, the choice is your own. Definately not your friends'.

As Deb said, it's difficult living with someone whose beliefs are very different to your own. To me, music and religion are two very seperate issues and, unless used in prayer, I don't believe the genre of music you listen to will ever affect your religion.

I, myself, am a nothing due to the fact I accept that no one will have the same views as me. I feel like I have no set religion but there are parts of each that I believe in.
LikeGhostsInTheSnow
Killjoy
LikeGhostsInTheSnow
February 18th, 2009 at 11:48am
Oh. I'm so interested in Religion! But I'm not that holy! xD
I'm Catholic.