Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 10:28am
"i wish i was jamia", no way should you feel pressured into believing anything. no matter how many of your friends believe something, it shouldn't make you believe something that you don't really.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 21st, 2009 at 07:53pm
iwishiwasjamia:
I'm really confused about my religion right now. I accepted Jesus into my heart five years ago, so I'm a christian, and my best friend is catholic, but I have so many non christian friends, and I sort of feel pressured to make them happy. And it's even more upsetting and confusing that I listen to/love MCR, because i think my Mum thinks that MCR are turning me into an atheist who is going to kill everybody. I hate being in religion-limbo y'know?

i know actually how you feel... my parents dont even know i listen to MCR as they would think the same thing!

But you are who you are, and if you want to be a chirstian then you shouldnt feel pressured by your friends, its your choice not theres.

i think you should just believe what you want to... i know its easier said than done as i have to same problem... but its true and you shouldnt be something your not to try and make your friends happy.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
April 22nd, 2009 at 12:05am
I believe in God.
And I think religion is something private, you know- and people should be able to believe what they want without others mocking them.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 22nd, 2009 at 07:04am
I dont personally have a problem with different faiths, its only when religions speak down on others who choose not to be a part of their faith, And unfortunatly it does happen.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
April 23rd, 2009 at 07:08am
I'm an atheist, but don't object to others being religious. I'm not one of those shove it down your throat atheists. I go to a catholic school though so I do know more than the average non believer
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 23rd, 2009 at 03:12pm
tear:
people should be able to believe what they want without others mocking them.
Whoa, who's mocking anyone here?
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 23rd, 2009 at 03:25pm
^ I don't think she means specifically here, I think she means just in general.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 23rd, 2009 at 04:03pm
questionable content:
I don't think she means specifically here, I think she means just in general.
Oh, okay, because it at first read, it seemed as if she felt judged within this thread; don't want anyone to feel that way. Look, I am all for whatever gets you personally through the day, however, if your belief system incorporates the discrimination against others who are hurting no one, I've got some problems with that, especially when said discrimination gains support from politicians.
BRETTage-MCR4eva
Banned
BRETTage-MCR4eva
April 24th, 2009 at 07:40am
IM AN ATHIEST YOU BITCHES AND THAT MEANS HAVE NO RELIGION...EXECPT FOR BRETTION...FUCK YOU ALL IM A KINDA ATHIEST...MUAHAHHAHAHA
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 07:41am
i dont think theres a god.
i think it was stories made up many years ago
by someone who wanted people to belive
there was something better on the other side of death.

personally.
i dont think its possibly.
i think its all a coincidence
misunderestimated
Killjoy
misunderestimated
April 24th, 2009 at 11:19am
I'm a Protestant, I believe in God and all.. I just feel that the NEED to have a religion is just unnecessary. God never actually said that we must have an established religion, with rules and blah. The church elders and pastors and all... I dunno, I feel like they're trying to manipulate or scare the young people (non-Christians) into accepting Christ "or else you'll go to hell". I don't go to church, mainly because I don't like the people there... Sometimes I find the most religious people can be the most hypocritical people... but that's just an opinion, I've met very nice people of this caliber. I have an open mind that maybe all religions are actually the same? Cos we mostly all believe in the same things, same fundamentals, same rules, maybe they're just different because they were spread over different countries, different cultures, got distorted, changed a bit.. you know. stuff like that. I don't personally condemn homosexuals or non-Christians like the way the elders do... I just find that to be very prejudiced.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 24th, 2009 at 06:33pm
The beauty in organized religion, and Christianity in particular (although this may apply to a lesser degree in many others) is that there are many branches, denominations, of that religion. Therefore if someone does not believe in a certain teaching, they can separate themselves from that particular branch, and become a member of another while still sharing their religion with others.
infinity guitars.
Awake and Unafraid
infinity guitars.
April 24th, 2009 at 07:48pm
questionable content:
The beauty in organized religion, and Christianity in particular (although this may apply to a lesser degree in many others) is that there are many branches, denominations, of that religion. Therefore if someone does not believe in a certain teaching, they can separate themselves from that particular branch, and become a member of another while still sharing their religion with others.

you make a good point, and i can see what you're saying, but on the other hand,
denominations (within christianity at least) can definitely be a negative thing too.
like, i think they sort of divide the church, when it should be joining together.
i personally believe that the church should all worship together
i mean surely that's why we attend church; to worship god?
so why should we be separated for that? i just think it makes for an unhealthy community,
and i know in my local area at least, it creates a lot of tension between the different
denominations and some are very reluctant to join with the others, whereas i think if there
were no denominations, there would be no division within the church. if that makes sense

and in response to your argument, i simply think that as christians, we're taught to love
one another no matter what a person believes, so even if you attend a church where people
have slightly different beliefs to you, you should be able to deal with that and love each other
anyway. also, i think it could open up great opportunities for debate about different aspects
of the faith when you have christians with different beliefs joining together
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 24th, 2009 at 08:14pm
^ That's all true too.
But while they do divide the church, they also join the people who think most alike.
For the most part, religion is a moral code, which affects most things about a person-- it's not just going to a house of worship every week. Most religions have a moral code about everything in life, and if an issue is debated within that denomination (ex. gay marriage, abortion, etc) then I think that is what could really create tension.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 25th, 2009 at 11:24am
electric feel.:
i simply think that as christians, we're taught to love
one another no matter what a person believes
Yeah, I'm not sure that any organized religion truly preaches that.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 25th, 2009 at 02:21pm
Embarassed
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
May 28th, 2009 at 08:02pm
^^ Its not that no organized religion preaches it, its that sometimes its hard to sift through all the judgmental, hypocritical, 'im better then you', hearts and minds of some of the people in the church.

Its more a matter of people focusing more on the rules of religion rather then what is really being taught. And if we are talking Christianity then it definitely is that way. They focus on what everyone is doing wrong, when Jesus himself said that loving others as you do yourself is the absolute most important thing. People naturally just want a reason to hate and dislike others to make themselves feel better about themselves, and a lot of time they use the rules of certain religions to mask their own bigotry, and make them feel justified about looking down upon others.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 30th, 2009 at 12:57pm
BRETTage-MCR4eva:
IM AN ATHIEST YOU BITCHES AND THAT MEANS HAVE NO RELIGION...EXECPT FOR BRETTION...FUCK YOU ALL IM A KINDA ATHIEST...MUAHAHHAHAHA
Neutral There's no need to shout. And bad language isn't allowed on the Discussion Forum.

-

What's really made me lose my faith and religion is the hypocritical and inequal aspect of it, and the fact that some of the things that are given to follow and the things that are classed as sins have been carried through into the law nowadays. Gay marriage, for example. In my opinion, and many other people's opinions, there is nothing wrong with gay marriage. But I think that the reason it's made illegal in countries is that it's the religious side of it that's holding the governments back. I have nothing against people who are religious in any way and I'm not saying that people shouldn't be religious. I just think that we shouldn't let it get in the way of law and morality today.

The other thing that lost it for me was that I've grown up to be more of a person who thinks in logic than faith. I often need to see something or have something proven to me, for me to believe it. And if something doesn't make logical sense to me, then I won't really buy it. That's why I don't believe in God, or really many aspects of Christianity anymore.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 30th, 2009 at 01:34pm
BRETTage-MCR4eva:

Er...what? Neutral
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
May 31st, 2009 at 10:51am
I'm religious. I was raised Catholic, but I don't support everything the Catholic Church says about stuff like contraception and gay marriage. To me, that isn't stuff that interferes with the fundamental beliefs of my faith. If that makes sense.