Don't have an account? Create one!

Beauty and perception

AuthorMessage
paper doll cuts deep
Banned
paper doll cuts deep
August 15th, 2007 at 06:37pm
Everyone can say that inner beauty is more important but think about it, if the nicest guy in the world asked you out but was really unattractive and nerdy would you date him?
It goes the other way as well,if a complete hottie asked you out but was shallow,cocky and a jerk would you still date him?

I dunno,people have different opinions of what beauty is.Some people just want to date a guy/girl because their hot and they want to use them as arm candy,others date people who are less attractive but with greater personalities.It all depends on the person.

I personally think physical attraction is more important for several reasons....like intimacy.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
August 15th, 2007 at 06:49pm
paper doll cuts deep:
if the nicest guy in the world asked you out but was really unattractive and nerdy would you date him?

I did, actually. I dated THREE guys like that. One was pudgy with bad acne and loved D&D, but he understood me like no one else and I loved him. The next guy was tall but far too skinny, wore thick glasses and had the world's worst dye job that left his hair half dead. But he wrote me the most sincere and flattering love letters, so I gave him a chance and was glad I did. The third was a complete nerd to the core... and I married him. He is more beautiful to me that any human on earth.

paper doll cuts deep:
I personally think physical attraction is more important for several reasons....like intimacy.

Well, I think that's a bit unwise, considering all physical attributes fade over time. Skin wrinkles, discolors, ages with spots, muscles and body parts sag, hair thins and falls out, teeth fall out, everything. That is why inner beauty is so much more important, because outer beauty never ever lasts.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
August 15th, 2007 at 07:00pm
XD the guy im in love with is VERY unattractive, but like Bee said, hes the most beautiful person in the world to me.

Not saying looks don't matter. Im really proud of him. He styles his hair and wears fashionable clothes, and doesn't suulk in the fact that he might not be as good looking. Part of physical beauty , or what makes it so important, is just celebrating who you are, and making an effort to respect and enjoy the body that you have.

Beauty means a lot to me, but that doesn't mean that it's everything at the end of the day.
Pilgrim.
Salute You in Your Grave
Pilgrim.
August 15th, 2007 at 07:18pm
I know it's a cliche, but beauty really does lie in the eyes of the beholder. People see beauty in very different ways, what's stunning to someone might be absolutely appalling to someone else. I hate the fact that we are being told what to consider beutiful and what not. It should be everyone's own decision, based on their own emotions and preferences. Yeah, it might help you out in the beginning to look like a freaking movie star, but unless you're actually pursuing a career as one, it only gets you so far. Like Beeblebrox said before, outer beauty never lasts, so at some point you will have to start appreciating the inner beauty just as much.
Phhia
Killjoy
Phhia
August 15th, 2007 at 08:01pm
I've often fancied guys who aren't attractive, but have an amazing personality.
But to get that, you have to get to know them.
So, in the long term, inner beauty is more important.
But I find outer beauty important to, although it doesn't matter on whether society see's them as being beautiful, it's how you see them.
Future-Mrs-Way
Killjoy
Future-Mrs-Way
August 15th, 2007 at 08:12pm
What do you think?
I think beauty is important...it is the 1st impression of somebody...because when people look at you all the see is the outside until they get to know you...

Does the outside count? The outside does count...its the thing that makes you confidant or not confidant...

Is the inside just as important?
The inside is important when people know you....

What is beauty to you?
Beauty to me inside beauty and outside beauty...
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
August 17th, 2007 at 09:23am
paper doll cuts deep:
It goes the other way as well,if a complete hottie asked you out but was shallow,cocky and a jerk would you still date him?

i guess most girls would date that kind of guy because some girls are just delusional that they can change that guy.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
August 17th, 2007 at 06:45pm
the.reaper.wore.pink:
paper doll cuts deep:

i guess most girls would date that kind of guy because some girls are just delusional that they can change that guy.

Like the comedian Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid"
Dead Inside
Killjoy
Dead Inside
August 18th, 2007 at 06:16am
Well I agree that your own opinion is the only one that should matter but for most people that's not how it is, we live in a society where people criticize each others looks and outer beauty is a very important part of our lives. Women and some men spend hours every day putting on make up and doing their hair just to look good to others. People get tons of surgery done to make them selves look younger or prettier when there are many far more important things to worry about. I find it all rather ridiculous.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
August 18th, 2007 at 06:29am
paper doll cuts deep:
Everyone can say that inner beauty is more important but think about it, if the nicest guy in the world asked you out but was really unattractive and nerdy would you date him?
Actually, I would. And, I have. I think it would be shallow just to say no because he isn't as attractive as he could be.

But appearance is important for first impressions, if you constantly smelled bad and had your hair greasy and messed up, most people wouldn't like you. And people usually get their first impression of you in the first 3 seconds of meeting you.

Beauty is very different for everyone, and it has a lot to do with culture.
Your.Guardian.Angel.
Jazz Hands
Your.Guardian.Angel.
October 18th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Beauty is something that, unfortunately, merrits one worth in this life...I guess there are people who just fawn over people they deem physically beautiful; like some kinda popularity rat-race. I don't believe in external beauty so much as a motivation for anything though...If the person is kind, caring, altruistic, and loving then they deserve much more respect than those who don't, regardless of what one may appear like on the outside...You cannot judge a book by it's cover after all^_~!
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
October 19th, 2007 at 10:32pm
Everyone pre judges people, it's natural.
But it's that step from being prejudice to getting to know the person which counts.

I hate the "popular" girsl at school who only want to be friends with people who are pretty, well in the long run they're missing out, they only care about beauty not friendship, i feel sorry for them as they have no real friends.

Also guys at school go out with the hot girls because they want a good reputation, she could be a complete airhead but if shes popular and hot he'd date her, I'm not saying this about all guys, just a majority.

In the end guys prefer the natural look, the once popular girl will be left all alone and the "geeks" or "freaks" will be in a happy relationship because they care more about other people other than themselves.
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
October 21st, 2007 at 03:46am
I bought into the dillusion that I had to look a certain way to get noticed/accepted. In freshman year I was about 5'9'' and 170 pounds. I was teased on day and I decided it was because I didn't look the right way. Over the course of 4 months I dropped down to 120 pounds by not eating 2 meals a day.

This caused me to get really sick and after being yelled at by my dad I realized that it wasn't the way I looked that made those people tease me.

I just believe that beauty is everything in the pop culture and movies. That is totally bogus because most of the people I have been attracted to are nowheres near attractive to the vast majority of people.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 21st, 2007 at 12:01pm
Beauty depends on your enviroment.

In certain parts of Africa, it's attractive to be big, because it shows wealth.
In America, it's to be skinny.

And so on.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
October 21st, 2007 at 01:26pm
The outside does generally seem to count the most,

However confidence can play a big part in it. For instance there are people that think/act like they are absolutly gorgeus when in reality they're pretty average, they get treated like they are gorgeus.
And that can work the other way round, people with low self confidence that think they're ugly even when the aren't will sometimes be looked down on and called ugly.

tis a confusing matter

x
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 21st, 2007 at 02:13pm
Confidence does help people notice your beauty.

For instance, if you're smiling and energetic, you'll be noticed.
But if you look down to the floor all the time, or look miserable, people may not notice your beauty.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 22nd, 2007 at 02:11am
I've always been attracted to the geeky guy. Big, muscular, "hot" usually = not very bright. The geeky guys were the ones I could talk to about things I was interested in. My hubby got me to go on our first date by quoting Shakepeare because he found out I loved his plays, and I didn't think I would like him because he looked like Brad Pitt (during Interview with the Vampire) so he had to prove he was smart and interesting. Now that I'm into comics there's not a lot of "good looking" guys in the places I hang out, but there are the nicest, most genuine, most interesting people in the world. To me it's more about what's on the inside.

To quote Hellboy, talking about his unconventional looks: "I wish I could do something about this. But I can't. But I can promise you two things. One: I'll always look this good. Two: I'll never give up on you... ever." More romantic words have yet to be spoken.

Well, except for "And in the end we'll fall apart, just like the leaves changing colors." Which again deals with: it doesn't matter what the outside looks like. You're still together, falling apart, but together. It's the relationship that bonds you, not your physical looks.
xXHaHaXx
Killjoy
xXHaHaXx
October 22nd, 2007 at 06:02pm
I think it's really unfair how good-looking people get treated better. It sounds really cheesey but it's what inside that counts and it's totally pointless being really pretty if you're a horrible person. I don't judge people on their looks and neither should anyone else.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
October 22nd, 2007 at 06:59pm
The thing is though is all depends on how people see beauty; and yes people who do have "beauty" do seem to get far in life. But it always seem to be someone who looks like there have walked of the set of some TV show like Baywatch or look like Barbie and have like two brain cells.

People also seem to think beauty is about the clothes you wear as well. which isn't really fair if you want to wear all black because you like it then why should people think your not beautiful?

i think it should be the inside that counts but unfortunately that's not how society works.
Thunderbuns.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Thunderbuns.
October 22nd, 2007 at 07:09pm
I have an awesome answer to this.
Granted, it's technically pertaining to a beauty pageant, but it fits this.
If I could get on MySpace, this would be so much easier, but let me see if I can remember the gist of it:

{Pertaining to a beauty pageant.}
Why should I enter a contest where if I don't fit three {or four, or whatever} people's idea of "beauty," I lose?
Just because I don't weigh three pounds, you can't count my ribs, I don't have twenty tons of make-up on my face, and I'm not shoved into a slutty dress that only fits because I either don't eat, or I throw up what I do.
I can figure out if I'm beautiful on my own, thank you.
I don't need a tiny crown, a sash, and a title to tell me that.

Cool thing was, my friend, Zack {now my boyfriend}, sent me a message shortly there after saying:
"F*ck a beauty pageant, you are beautiful."
And I personally think that's all that matters when it comes to beauty.
I don't wear make-up, the most I do to my hair in the morning is brush it and maybe wet it if slept on it wet.
Yet, people still accept me, my boyfriend thinks I'm beautiful, and I'm happy with my appearance.
All that matters:
How you feel about yourself.