Don't have an account? Create one!

Beauty and perception

AuthorMessage
OMG it's Jennie :0
Motor Baby
June 4th, 2006 at 05:42pm
Beauty is the foundation and personality is what counts.
You could get a great job for being attractive but be fired because your an asshole soon after.
You need both, really.
Freddy
Always Born a Crime
Freddy
June 4th, 2006 at 05:47pm
when it comes down to it, it is really the inside that counts and wins people over.
i admit that when i first saw my present boyfriend, i wasnt attracted to him at all! but i got to know him, found out that hes a brilliant person and i fell in love with him. because of his awesomeness, i i find him physically attractive too. i cant stop telling him hes cute Laughing

so for me, inside beauty is more important Very Happy
HANNERhopscotch;;
Thinking Happy Thoughts
HANNERhopscotch;;
June 5th, 2006 at 12:09pm
i like to wear make up and spend a lot of time making myself look nice, not because of what people think, but becase i feel better looking nice.
Mrs.Halloween
Salute You in Your Grave
Mrs.Halloween
June 5th, 2006 at 01:41pm
oh, i could really get stuck into this, ha.
i think a whole lot of the time, it's really psychological, how you perceive yourself, in terms of beauty.
i've been thinking about this a lot, before hand as well, and i think i've come to the conclusion, that people who maybe are overweight/feel theyre not pretty or beautiful, etc, people who a handful of society look on as being ugly, are undesireable, because that's how people make them feel. and because of this, they then become less appealing, personality wise, to others, who look at things, that aren't just to do with aesthetics, because they have such low self-esteem. if any of that makes sense.
and then, because these 'ugly' people, aren't confident, and vibrant, and don't want to show themselves, or how they really are, to the world, they are looked on as undesirable by everyone, because no one can see who they really are.
(i just want to say, i am NOT trying to segregate anyone who is overweight. i'm overweight, so i'm not trying to be mean, and say that people who aren't skinny, are ugly, i just know, from experience, that a lot of [ignorant] people see extra weight as something that makes a person less beautiful)
Mary; Without Sound
Salute You in Your Grave
Mary; Without Sound
June 5th, 2006 at 02:46pm
Mrs.Halloween:
i'm overweight, so i'm not trying to be mean, and say that people who aren't skinny, are ugly, i just know, from experience, that a lot of [ignorant] people see extra weight as something that makes a person less beautiful)

That is so true!!!!!! It like if your overweight theres no way you can be beautiful, which is just not true. I hate the fact that if your overweight then your automatically ugly! And to spite what society thinks there are plenty of overweight people that are beautiful.
ByeHalyconDays
Bleeding on the Floor
ByeHalyconDays
June 5th, 2006 at 03:04pm
With make-up you should be wearing it for yourself. You want to wear it not because you feel like you need to.

I think part of it is how you see yourself. Yes gentics play apart but if you have confidence in the way you look it will natural attact people to you.
Other.
Bleeding on the Floor
Other.
June 5th, 2006 at 03:17pm
You shouldn't have to wear make up to feel pretty. People cantsantly tell me that I need to wear make up because I have acne, even my mom says that. My mom also says that I should change the way I stand because I look fat. So what if I look fat and I have acne. I also have great personality and that's all that should matter.
Leonardo DiCaprio
Crash Queen
Leonardo DiCaprio
June 6th, 2006 at 01:06pm
i think that you should make yourself look
nice but not go overboard.

to me,beauty is who you are,not
what you are.

Glorious Beauty Is A Fading Flower
I'm on the radio!!
Salute You in Your Grave
I'm on the radio!!
June 6th, 2006 at 01:10pm
To be completely honest, wearing make up to make you look better is just like wearing a mask to stop people seeing the real you. Everyone is beautiful in their own little way.
Plus, it's not what you look like on the outside, it's what your like on the inside. That's real beauty. Personality over-rules looks with me. Why love someone for their looks if you have nothing in common with them and can't talk to them. After all the key to relationships is communication.
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
June 6th, 2006 at 01:35pm
Why would you wear make-up 'for yourself' if not to make you look good?
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
June 6th, 2006 at 01:42pm
clarissa:
Why would you wear make-up 'for yourself' if not to make you look good?

Perhaps to make you feel better about yourself, or just because it's a habit.
Motor Baby
June 6th, 2006 at 02:27pm
I wear mascara and concealer and I straighten my hair everyday, not for other people, but it just gives me more confidance.
Some girls at my school come to school with orange faces from too much foundation, bright white hair from hair dye, drawn on eyebrows and hair straightened so much it is burnt, and they think this is THE look to have. And this is the large group of my year that have had boyfriends since they were 12 years old. Me and my friends (girls & boys) think they're all hideous, though. Beauty is just in the eye of the beholder I guess.
You definitely need personality for anything though. People want a human being, not an accesory.
The Crazy Cookie
Killjoy
The Crazy Cookie
June 6th, 2006 at 03:36pm
Its proven that beautiful people are treated better then not so beautiful people, I hate it. It happens in my school, no one likes ugly people, and it hurts being called ugly. The beautiful people have a gift and they abuse it.
batsquad!
Awake and Unafraid
batsquad!
July 16th, 2006 at 11:05pm
In my opinion, looks/beauty do matter. There is the social effect and the psychological/personal effect.

If I don't wear make-up out, I feel self-concious, that no one is going to look in my direction unless it's to make fun of me. And it may sound a bit strange, but if I don't look nice for work, I don't make tips. Thich means no money, which is what I need.

I wish that the insdie could overcome the outside, but I'm afraid that's never going to happen. Today's world is too set on perfection and outward appearance.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
July 17th, 2006 at 02:53pm
The Crazy Cookie:
Its proven that beautiful people are treated better then not so beautiful people, I hate it. It happens in my school, no one likes ugly people, and it hurts being called ugly. The beautiful people have a gift and they abuse it.

You are right about this one. When studying for my Psychology degree I read several articles about how children who are percieved to be more pretty/beautiful are given more attention by both teachers and peers and are consequently generally more successful in life.

I mean obviously there are exceptions to this. Also someone who one person thinks is beautiful another may think is ugly. Its unfortunate that we have to live in a beauty obsessed society and I hate to agree that it is important, but in the majority of cases it is.
Motor Baby
July 19th, 2006 at 02:00pm
Would tou rather get a compliment for your looks or your personality?I mean, there's such a huge difference between:
"You look amazing"
and
"You are amazing"
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 19th, 2006 at 03:26pm
OMG it's Jennie :0:
I mean, there's such a huge difference between:
"You look amazing"
and
"You are amazing"

Yep, I'm not going to argue that there's not a difference because you are 100% correct. There is a huge one.

But to many people the first statement gives them more confidence in themselves than the second ever would. It's a sad but true fact that most people are (even slightly) shallow at some point during their lives, particularly as a teenager, so if someone says "You look amazing" that would give many people's confidence a huge boost because they would think they are able to do something right in their life.
Toro_Sex
Joining The Black Parade
Toro_Sex
July 19th, 2006 at 05:02pm
I don't wear make up. I like myself just the way I am.
LouderNow
Really Not Okay
LouderNow
July 19th, 2006 at 05:16pm
RainbowLights:
I don't wear make up. I like myself just the way I am.

Wow, I praise you for saying that. I wish more people would think like you.
LouderNow
Really Not Okay
LouderNow
July 19th, 2006 at 05:21pm
Ok, I have a question. How can anybody call anyone ugly, or think themselves are ugly.
We all have mouths(sp?). Eyes. Noses. Hair. But then again, if you had an operation or cancer or something, you might be missing something after that. But that doesn't make you any less of a beautiful person.
But for me, I don't think I'm ugly, or pretty. Well, I think I'm pretty, but I'm not gonna let it get to my head.
Everybody is different, and that makes everyone gorgeous(sp?).
I just wish more people would realize that.