Don't have an account? Create one!

Beauty and perception

AuthorMessage
Sylvia.
Salute You in Your Grave
Sylvia.
September 9th, 2006 at 03:10pm
I think we all start out feeling fine about ourselves.
Over time, the pressures of society drag down our self-esteem and our overall feeling about our appearance.
So basically, you can either choose to try and meet our society's standards, or you love yourself for who you are.
And I`ll give you a hint: the second option can be harder or easier, depending on how you go about it.
goddamntickles
Killjoy
goddamntickles
September 9th, 2006 at 09:28pm
i have a horribly low self esteem but i think if someone is going to love you they are going to love you for who you are, looks should not matter, at all, it should be strictly based on compatibility and how much you think you can trust a person
Catharsis
Jazz Hands
Catharsis
September 20th, 2006 at 12:48am
I believe the media has encouraged people to recognise the physical features of others rather than there attributes which really count.

I understand that some people like to spend a large amount of time doing there hair, makeup and selecting an outfit before they leave the house of amorning. I say good for them, if this makes you feel good, but if you are doing this because you feel that people will think less of you if you don't then you are sadly mistaken and need to reassess what is really important to you and have a look at the people you choose to associate with.

i personally chose not to wear make-up and not fuse about my hair and clothes, if i am comfortable with how i look other people should be to.

Make-up may cover up your spots but it can't cover up who you truely are.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
September 21st, 2006 at 12:02pm
Of course it is the inside that counts, but unfortunatly a lot of people don't see this. Sure, you could spend a few hours doing your hair and make-up. But at the end f the day the only person your trying to please is you. So I think that we should just be happy with who we are.
Neurotically Yours
Killjoy
Neurotically Yours
September 21st, 2006 at 01:25pm
In my opinion its whats inside that counts.

However, in my expirience, my friends who are prettier then me get treated better and recieve more positive attention. Im not saying its right but in my world its the truth.

I say, just try to make the best of what you've got. I dont care that Im not as pretty as my friends because I know when people are nice to me it isnt just because of my looks. Its good to make an effort but I try not to worry about what I look like cos it stops me having a good time and enjoying my life.
poison and kerosene
Motor Baby
poison and kerosene
September 27th, 2006 at 11:41pm
i think the INSIDE counts aswell...i hate when people see That if your beautiful and perfectly skinny and if not, they wont treat you with as good respect.. i don't know, Thats how i feeel.

I am a very self concious person i basically hate the way i look. i look in the mirror and feel like a failure. and me being 15 years old and all my freinds being from ages 13 to 18 have had boy freinds and i have never had one. i don't know it gets my self esteem lower and im a really nice cool person and i hate when people just look at me and say "ew.", the outside of a beautiful person doesn't show the not nice they are on the inside.

ah sorry if i made no sence im rele tired
poison and kerosene
Motor Baby
poison and kerosene
September 27th, 2006 at 11:41pm
Very Happy
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
September 28th, 2006 at 04:21am
Beauty and perception is the way you present yourself.
It's about your attitude to beauty and perception. It's about your attitude in general.

When you meet someone for the first time - and have no clue about their personality - isn't their appearance what gives you an impression?
If they're resentful towards you, and dress intimidatingly, are you going to feel comfortable?
If they're smiling, and dressed well-manneredly, are you going to feel threatened?

I think there is nothing wrong with wanting to look good, as long as you're doing it for yourself.
If I go out, I try to present myself in a groomed fashion. I don't care what people think about me, or my clothes, or how I wear them. But for my own security, I like to think I look good.

Plastic surgery is okay, if it's going to boost someone's self esteem.
We all have our little flaws, but some of us have a tendency to pick on them, more than others.
Plastic surgery becomes an issue when there is too much. Looking good, and looking plastic are two different things.

At this age, I know a lot of girls are self-conscious about their image. I am lucky that I'm not exactly like that. I don't feel the need to impress anyone. I've never really been like that anyway.
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
Motor Baby
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
September 28th, 2006 at 03:28pm
of course people these days care too much about what people look like. at school all the pretty boys go for the tarty slutty girls - fact! i'm used to it, but i just hope that boys will grow up and realise how dull these sluts really are.
but what yara's saying is about in later life beauty is still important - owww! i know i'm not so pretty so that really worries me. Crying or Very sad i suppose nice people will like you for who you are, even when you are grown up. Sad
NeverAndEver
Killjoy
NeverAndEver
September 28th, 2006 at 06:48pm
beauty doesn't make you happy and it certainly doesn't solve your problems... BUT I have to say that it does help you out when it comes daily life.
Maybe it's sad but I do think it's a fact that if you're beautiful you'll get treated better. People are a little bit nicer to you and might make allowances for you... BUT again this is just on the surface, beauty only gets you so far. your personality shines through soon as you open your mouth... that's when it matters.
the anti-scenester
Motor Baby
the anti-scenester
September 30th, 2006 at 10:02pm
beauty is only skin deep

i'm the most ugly person i know, even on the inside
M!lly La Bam
Bleeding on the Floor
M!lly La Bam
September 30th, 2006 at 11:36pm
I think ... I'd love to say no, that it's personality. But, I can't.
From a glance, someones not going to know you, they going to judge Hot or not, or how pretty you are.
In general, if your thin and beautiful, you'll get treated different to the unkempt person next to you.
I guess it also shows that you're proud of yourself Ect.

But, everybodys got a different sence of beauty.
I think that this girl is the single most beautiful girl on the planet. on the ... left. yeah.

So, my point is that to some people, you really don't have to be a "twig" to be pretty. I'd use an example from Greys Anatomy, but I cant remeber the chick characters name. D= Anyways, shes not "petite" like the other GA girls but shes rather pretty anyways.

In the end, people who judge you as quickly as they see you are just shallow. And not really worth it.
Shayna;Vengeance
Salute You in Your Grave
Shayna;Vengeance
October 1st, 2006 at 12:47am
This annoys me everyone at my school cares about looks all I hear is "oh she's hot" or "oh he's hot" I mean really personality counts you wouldn't want to deal with an asshole now would you?
notxaxhero
Killjoy
notxaxhero
October 1st, 2006 at 12:51pm
Todays world is based on beauty. If your not beautiful in the sense of what everyone else looks like you are a freak, loser, or just plain old ugly. People dont care what your personality is like if you are 'beautiful', they just pretend that they do so that you will feel good about yourself. But if you show up at work or school one day and look different than everyone else or different than what you usually do everyone will automatically judge you and hate you. I know from experience. Nobody cares whats 'on the inside' or anything like that, guys want 'pretty' 'beautiful' or 'hot' girls, and thats what they will go for leaving the 'ugly' girls out. And girls will do the same. Im not saying that anyone is ugly, I believe everyone is beautiful in their own way. Its just the way things are these days.
Fluffy Bunny of Doom
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Fluffy Bunny of Doom
October 1st, 2006 at 11:19pm
Your beautiful no matter what i do wear make up but only cause i like it Personality is more im portant than beauty and all this other shit
x heaven helped me x
Killjoy
x heaven helped me x
October 2nd, 2006 at 12:57pm
i hate the way people think you cant do certain things - just coz youre ugly! i mean- im not the most beautiful person in the world - but if you look for the little something on yourself you like - and make it a focus point, you are helping your confidence and self esteem! i like my eyes, so i emphasise them more than anything, the rest of my face belongs to hell! (spots, psoraisis ect..)
take pride in yourself! stay strong and believe in yourself!
(soz long rant)
Whore.Much?
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Whore.Much?
October 2nd, 2006 at 01:06pm
i think too many beauty products are becoming peoples source of comfort..especially for all the celebrities and most of us look up to celebrities right? so if we see a celeb wearing heaps of foundation n stuff..fans start to do it aswell and forget that no-one needs make-up to feel or look good cause you're already beautiful. Smile
XxMeAnt-4-tHeFliEsxX
Joining The Black Parade
XxMeAnt-4-tHeFliEsxX
October 2nd, 2006 at 10:25pm
side is as important as the outside. but now a days the inside does not mean anything. it is a big pile of dog crap. I SHOULD DEFINETLY KNOW!
Tara Scene
Motor Baby
Tara Scene
October 2nd, 2006 at 10:43pm
I dont think someone has to be "pretty" on the outside to be a good person
media is pushing people to far saying that they have to look a cetain way or have the smalllest jean sixe possible
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 3rd, 2006 at 01:47am
Turn off the lights and everyone looks exactly the same.

I think that only the blind really know what beauty is.