Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
October 31st, 2007 at 09:46pm
Up untill now, I personally thought the media didn't play as big a role as some people said. But, I've changed my mind now.
This evening, on the news, the head line was,
'experts say people should be as thin as possable to reduce the risk of cancer'
Only slyly adding in at the end, almost unnoticably 'with out being under weight'
They even said, that only being the very low end of healthy BMI, is good enough. And, that once you are over 21, ever pound you gain increases your risk of cancer.
Jeez.
I mean, surely saying something like this, or at least putting it into those words, will only encourage people to try and lose weight unhealthly.
Okay, maybe being over weight does increase your chance of cancer, but it seems nowadays, everything we do seems to 'affect our chances of getting cancer'
our avenged tania.
Always Born a Crime
our avenged tania.
October 31st, 2007 at 11:08pm
The media does have a big role. And adds to.
Because kids go to the actractive things. And
most of them contain sugar.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
November 1st, 2007 at 04:33am
psychochip:
Yes, but is it the normal "I'm a girl so I have to pretend to care about my weight to fit in" or is it truly obsessive, where she counts calories, won't eat *any* junk food, and plays with the food on her plate?

I've even, in certain places, had to pretend to be a girly-girl (which I am most definitely NOT, by any stretch of the imagination) and act like I care what I'm eating, when in reality I'd rather bypass the salad and have an extra slice of pizza instead.

haha. I was out with some friends awhile ago. All male. I like Diet coke because it's less sugary, but when I ordered it, my friend turned to me and said "Oh god, you girls and your weight"
I turned to him and said "No, im way too skinny, but I love eating"

Then we ate together. Almost 50 wings. Guys actually think it's REALLY cool when a girl likes to eat and isn't weight concious.
our avenged tania.
Always Born a Crime
our avenged tania.
November 1st, 2007 at 04:36am
Weight shouldn't be something we constantly worry about. Unless it's for actual health reasons. And a girl having a good appetite is great. Because she surely has self estem(sp?) and coffidence. Or very sure of herself. :]

And just to tell you, diet pop is a worst as normal soda. What replaces the sugar isn't healthy for your system either. Just so you know. ;]
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
November 1st, 2007 at 04:51am
Haha, I know it's really unhealthy, but most soda is just too sweet for me. I hate the taste, but I love soda, so I drink diet. T_T
our avenged tania.
Always Born a Crime
our avenged tania.
November 1st, 2007 at 04:55am
Yeah, I understand your point. I hope they find something better than aspertam(sp?) to replace sugar.

People think it's healthier, but it really isn't.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
November 1st, 2007 at 05:20am
I do too. It would make me feel MUCH better about drinking it
Sock Cucker.
Shotgun Sinner
Sock Cucker.
November 1st, 2007 at 10:03am
I count calories in basically everything I eat.
Its not because Im looking to become non-existent, its because I like to have a generally healthy eating plan.
Counting calories isnt bad, its actually reducing them to such a low extent, which is the bad thing
our avenged tania.
Always Born a Crime
our avenged tania.
November 1st, 2007 at 05:42pm
Counting calories to be healthy is good. Shows that you care about you and your body.
the sharpest lives.
Shotgun Sinner
the sharpest lives.
November 1st, 2007 at 07:44pm
Sometimes I watch what I eat.
I try to exercise regularly.
I don't drink soda and I try to stay away from unhealthy foods. I think that's all you have to do. You don't need to go starving yourself or vomit meals you just ate. Just watch what your putting down your throat and exercise whenever you can.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
November 23rd, 2007 at 10:49pm
What do you think is a good way to lose weight? ---- eat healthy when your little so that you don't gain a lot of weight to begin with, but since we have no control over that really, you should eat healthy and exercise daily to loose weight, most exercise is extremely fun anyway, like playing basketball or w/e with your friends etc. you shouldn't have to starve yourself to be healthy and happy, and really that's all that really matters. If you eat right, and are happy with yourself and everything in your life, they it really shouldn't matter how much you weigh. But then people don't normally think like that with their weight.

Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets? ---- Yes, no 4 year old should go on a diet because they weigh 200 pounds. The parents of that child should of had healthy food in the house and taught their child about the food they eat, like how if you eat pizza over an apple ((though that's not a bad thing, but you should still eat apples)) you won't feel your best and will get tired easily but if you choose the apple, you'll feel good, be more happy, and be able to play and run around more w/o all the sit down and breathe for a minute stuff. I hate how parents just don't care what their children eat, what they eat is just as important about whether they have sex at the age of 12 or start smoking is. The kid should know the balance. No kid should ever have to go on a diet.

Why do people get eating disorders? --- Because the media is basically marketing disease. Teens watch t.v. and read magazines and with all the air brushed pictures etc. society is making them feel like they have to be a certain size or look a certain way, or have a million pack abs or big boobs etc. to get someone to love them to get people to understand them to be perfect. Because that's what every human wants deep down, to be perfect, to have people understand and to have everyone love them or like them. And THATS what starts it. We see it everywhere in commercials with all those stupid diet pill commercials and on bill boards, its almost impossible to escape, so then we become obsessed and trap and think we have to fit some type of human perfection mold to even walk out our own front doors in the morning.

How do we help people with eating disorders? --- First you don't accuse someone of having one. Because you don't really know and you don't want to tell someone you think so&&so has an eating disorder when they don't. You talk to the persons family, or a guidance counselor so that they can watch what that person eats, and if they do, they one of those two should get them to a doctor and get them help. And don't fall into the trap of ' if you tell anyone I'll never trust you again, i won't be your friend ' etc. because once they are cured, well, they will be thanking you and they know that they CAN trust you.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 26th, 2007 at 12:25pm
^^ Great post. Kudos.

I think a lot of the problem is perception. Young people compare themselves to the people in magazines, which we all know are airbrushed and photoshopped to no end which makes them an impossible ideal. Unfortunately, there is no way to end that cycle. If the entire world went on strike against celebrity magazines, I think half the world would stop breathing because they wouldn't have anything to talk about. Even this forum is dedicated to people who like a certain band.

I disagree to an extent about children on diets. If they are overweight or obese, they most certainly need to see a nutritionist because that *parent* needs to be instructed how to make healthy meals for that child. I agree it is not a 5 year old's fault if he is obese because he is only able to eat what he is given. But his parents do need help getting him to a healthy weight to try and reverse the damage that has been done to his body and keep more problems from occuring.

I will be the first to admit that even though I've had some signifigant weight loss over the last year, I'm still on the heavy side. But I'm not about to starve myself or excercise to excess. I choose heathier foods but still have a slice of pizza now and again if I want one. But I also do not watch television (I don't have cable and the antenna only picks up two channels), I don't read celebrity magazines, so I'm not bombarded with what the world's ideals are. I have only my own.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
November 27th, 2007 at 02:39am
^^Thanks.

I hate it when someone says their fat. We got into this discussion once during a play practice and it was all just girls because we were checking out our costumes and everything, and I'm not sure how we got to talking about it but we did, and every single girl there, and there were people I bet there that could fit into size 0 if they wanted to, saying that they were fat. It's just really sad, but I know that even a girl who's extremely small would still think she'd feel better, w/e if she lost 5 more pounds. Thats just how we are now. And I just don't get it.

Well, ya if the 4 year old is that size, there should be a cut back on all the bad foods they eat and the parents SHOULD take them to a nutritionist to keep them healthy, I was just saying that no parent should let their child even get that unhealthy. If they'd payed attention to what their kid ate in the first place anyways.

I barely watch much T.V. anymore. I'm on the internet more often really. But goodness, every time you turn it on theirs a freaking diet pill commercial that you KNOW won't work and you KNOW someone will probably actually spend that much to buy it hoping, praying, that this is the pill that will work. It's sad and sickening.
Becky
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Becky
November 27th, 2007 at 02:51am
I think that when people start eating disorders they do it because they are not comfortable in their own skin!But I think the best advice to give to someone like that is to love themselves no matter what,but if there is the need to lose weight because of something like health reasons then you should try to lose it the right way which is healthy eating and exercise!=]And even though it seems hard in the long run it will give you all the rewards without endangering your body!
catlady
Joining The Black Parade
catlady
November 27th, 2007 at 04:00am
I understand your thinking, Becky, but sometimes loving yourself no matter what is the hardest thing of all. I think that the catalyst of all disorders is that people stay inside their head too much. Pretty soon, you start going crazy because you focus on every little imperfection that has ever occurred in your life. One thing leads to another, and it turns into a snowball reaction. I just think that people need to get out of their heads for a while. For example, if you've had a hard day at school, go home and do something you like, something that gets you to think of something else for a while. I've learned that over time, even the deepest wounds heal - not completely (they will never heal completely), but slightly. And even the slightest thing can make a difference. That is all.
Becky
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Becky
November 27th, 2007 at 04:08am
yeah,i understand what you mean...i do that actually when I feel bad which is quite often and i do feel better!so yeah thats is a good piece of advice!=]
yoey962
Bleeding on the Floor
yoey962
November 28th, 2007 at 11:40am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:

haha. I was out with some friends awhile ago. All male. I like Diet coke because it's less sugary, but when I ordered it, my friend turned to me and said "Oh god, you girls and your weight"
I turned to him and said "No, im way too skinny, but I love eating"

Then we ate together. Almost 50 wings. Guys actually think it's REALLY cool when a girl likes to eat and isn't weight concious.

yes thats a very good point.
boyfriends always feel special when they manage to convince you to eat that extra slice of cake or bowl of pasta.

but, if you were to gain weight from doing that all the time, boys would lose interest in you.
it sounds shallow, but its happened to me.
so although guys like girls with plenty of appetite, and who have no worries about their weight, a lot of guys (from my experience) do not like heavier girls, which is the outcome of a girl that eats fairly well.
bit of a contrdiction there don't you think?
keep the faith.
Salute You in Your Grave
keep the faith.
February 2nd, 2008 at 05:10am
the small print.:
^^ My friend says she's like that, and that one small meal a day fills her up.

I think she has an eating disorder though.

I rarely eat much, and my friend Millie and this other girl (let's call her Aimee) keep calling me anorexic.
Millie's kind of average-y but Aimee's really overweight.
there's this group of girls in my class, five of them and they're all incredibly skinny even though they eat tons.
Aimee always calls them anorexic to their faces and it's just so akghjkdfgh stupid and horrible.

not sure if that belongs here, but...
TeamEdward
Fabulous Killjoy
TeamEdward
February 3rd, 2008 at 02:51pm
well i think most of you are right
but i know from experience
that sometimes eating disorders don't start because they think they're fat
sometimes they need to take control of something so they take control of their eating habits and then when they miss a meal they get a really good feeling because they havn't given in to hunger
they are in control
and they like it
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
February 3rd, 2008 at 06:40pm
yoey962:

yes thats a very good point.
boyfriends always feel special when they manage to convince you to eat that extra slice of cake or bowl of pasta.

but, if you were to gain weight from doing that all the time, boys would lose interest in you.
it sounds shallow, but its happened to me.
so although guys like girls with plenty of appetite, and who have no worries about their weight, a lot of guys (from my experience) do not like heavier girls, which is the outcome of a girl that eats fairly well.
bit of a contrdiction there don't you think?

Well, that may be so in some cases, but there's a lot of appreciation for girls with "junk in their trunk" around where I live. xD
But then you get some guys who think it's creepy when a girl eats loads and is thin and all this she's anorexic or some shit.