Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
HintFEAR08
Killjoy
HintFEAR08
October 16th, 2008 at 03:30pm
It think it is more common now because we have so much information now. You can't hide in your own little world. Tragedy and sadness are in our face more than ever. We all are more connected but at the same time lonelier and more isolated than ever.
Where's Your Heart
Really Not Okay
Where's Your Heart
October 16th, 2008 at 03:59pm
I htink it shouldn't happen, but it does. If people were nicer to each other, then there would be none of this. But they aren't, and there is.

It's sort of an inevitable think, you know? As long as there's one person who's an asshole, there's going to be suicide and self harm.

But, since people refuse to change, it's completely unavoidable in many situations.

Idk, that's my opinion.
MilitaryFairy
Killjoy
MilitaryFairy
October 18th, 2008 at 08:01pm
Utada Hikaru:
^^ but should people who dont step in really be looked down on because the person who was depressed couldn't bring themselves to get there own help?

I know depression and self harm must be terrible things to have to deal with, but I can't see why anyone else should take the responsibility because the depressed person wanted to keep it to his/her self.

I understand what you are saying. No one should take complete responsibility because they didn't help someone when they needed to.

It does all come down to the individual who is struggling. Some people bend over backwards trying to help someone who never does anything to help themselves. It takes effort from both parties.

It's sad, though. Some people are so set on being depressed/suicidal that nothing or no one can help them because they don't want to be helped.
xGabrielleOrionWayx
Bleeding on the Floor
xGabrielleOrionWayx
October 30th, 2008 at 09:08am
I was recently sent to havenwyck, it's a phyc ward for adolecents, teenagers and adults. you stay there and receve medications, councling, group, therapy, drug rehab, and any other personal help you might need.

It really dose help change minds about suicide.

I mean, it's aannoying to the point, where you'll never think about it again, because you never want to be sent back.

Your on lock down all the time, and it really helps give you time to sort out your priorites.

Alot of us there realized that what we tried, we really shouldnt have.

Although I'm steal healing on my own, I belive places like this are really great for teens and kids to sort our their feelings and get back on life's track.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
November 4th, 2008 at 04:58am
xGabrielleOrionWayx:
I was recently sent to havenwyck, it's a phyc ward for adolecents, teenagers and adults. you stay there and receve medications, councling, group, therapy, drug rehab, and any other personal help you might need.

It really dose help change minds about suicide.

I mean, it's aannoying to the point, where you'll never think about it again, because you never want to be sent back.

Your on lock down all the time, and it really helps give you time to sort out your priorites.

Alot of us there realized that what we tried, we really shouldnt have.

Although I'm steal healing on my own, I belive places like this are really great for teens and kids to sort our their feelings and get back on life's track.

Glad you are receiving/received some help Gabrielle Very Happy

Goodluck with healing Smile
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
November 4th, 2008 at 01:51pm

One of the things that makes a fair few cutters feel more alone,
is the idea that it is a secret, shameful thing to do.
It's fair enough to dislike it when people brag about cutting,
but it's unfair to label all cutters as "bad" or "naughty" like my mum did.
If people were a bit more understanding, I think it would help to make
cutters feel as if they can talk about their problems.
Calling cutters "psycho" or "disturbed" isn't helping anybody. :/
hiddenn.
Salute You in Your Grave
hiddenn.
November 5th, 2008 at 11:54am
ehh i think that most people on here have been through something like this.
i mean there has to be some reason that we turn to this music.
all i have to say about this is that life is a gift and no one has the authority to just throw it away.
i mean i used to be depressed but i hope that people who are depressed now will come to their senses...
because anyone can have a good life.
ohh but i have so many depressed/suicidal friends, not to mention a suicidal boyfriend. god, sometimes it just gets tiring.
when he says that he hates his life/has nothing to live for, it makes me feel like a bad girlfriend or that he doesn't care about me.
that's definitely something that suicidal people should consider.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 5th, 2008 at 03:22pm
jepha's pineapple.:

Perhaps, we just like ths sound?
hiddenn.
Salute You in Your Grave
hiddenn.
November 5th, 2008 at 03:30pm
Utada Hikaru:
Perhaps, we just like ths sound?

true...

all i know is that when i got depressed, i turned to music because it lifted my soul.
it just seems like a lot of kids are doing that now.
saying that music "saved their life" yet they are still suicidal.

and this music...let's face it...is sometimes quite depressing.
i love it. Tehe

but again, good point.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 6th, 2008 at 12:07am
jepha's pineapple.:
ehh i think that most people on here have been through something like this.
I find it interesting how you can draw conclusions about "most" of the people on here, just because they probably, at some point, listened to MCR (or still do - which seems to be rare around INO nowadays...)

Not all of us "turned" to MCR's music because we needed saving or we needed inspiration. Personally, I just like the music. Yeah, it's inspiring at times, but that's not the reason I listen to it.
hiddenn.
Salute You in Your Grave
hiddenn.
November 6th, 2008 at 11:44pm
i know that must have sounded bad.
i am not referring to everyone who listens to mcr. just the ones who specifically listen to music in order to find refuge.
i apologize and take that back.

i guess i'm just saying that that is what some people do.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 7th, 2008 at 07:58am
jepha's pineapple.:
i apologize and take that back.
Don't feel you should have to apologise Shifty2
Things often get misconstrued on message boards, it's all good.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
November 7th, 2008 at 09:27pm
I think that with the whole "emo" stereotype (which is possibly the dumbest one I have ever heard in my life), a lot of people think cutting is some big joke. Like kids at school tell cutter jokes sometimes and they're like "oh I'm just so emo I'm gonna go slit my wrists, hahaha ...." and that sort of thing. That is a problem, because it makes people who cut feel even worse about themselves, they're indirectly being made fun of if their friends don't know about their problem and joke about it all the time. Obviously there is a difference between the people who think cutting is "emo" and cool or whatever so thats why they do it, and the people who really have a problem that they don't know how to cope with.

So like someone said on here before, the jokes and the general attitude towards cutters is making the problem worse. How are people supposed to be expected to go get help when all they hear is ridicule about this issue? It makes it very hard to admitting to the problem, since many people don't take it seriously, so people who self harm feel ashamed.

Sorry about the rant there.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 7th, 2008 at 11:52pm
mcrfreak256:
I think that with the whole "emo" stereotype (which is possibly the dumbest one I have ever heard in my life), a lot of people think cutting is some big joke. Like kids at school tell cutter jokes sometimes and they're like "oh I'm just so emo I'm gonna go slit my wrists, hahaha ...." and that sort of thing. That is a problem, because it makes people who cut feel even worse about themselves, they're indirectly being made fun of if their friends don't know about their problem and joke about it all the time. Obviously there is a difference between the people who think cutting is "emo" and cool or whatever so thats why they do it, and the people who really have a problem that they don't know how to cope with.

So like someone said on here before, the jokes and the general attitude towards cutters is making the problem worse. How are people supposed to be expected to go get help when all they hear is ridicule about this issue? It makes it very hard to admitting to the problem, since many people don't take it seriously, so people who self harm feel ashamed.

I know people who do that, and I know they don't do it to make fun of people who haver real problems. There are several people at my school who go around talking about cutting themselves because they are just sooooo depressed because their lives are sooooo horrible. These people don't even really cut themselves, they're just fake.
Of course people who do cut have such a construed view of things that even if something is not meant to hurt them they still take it that way.
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 8th, 2008 at 04:13am
MilitaryFairy:
What really ticks me off is when people say "I don't want to talk to them, they make me feel sad" or "they're boring". Gawd, I wish people would take their eyes of themselves for once and help people who are hurting.

/little rant

Mm, I agree. You have to be quite a strong person to stick by someone who is depressed and hurting themselves. Obviously the person in question isn't going to be a lot of fun to be around, the point is that you care about them and want them to get better. It'd be easy to take it all as a personal insult when a depressed friend won't talk to you, doesn't want to do anything and basically doesn't appear to want to be around you. You have to let a lot of things slide, which isn't always easy if you've got problems of your own.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 8th, 2008 at 06:55am
Katem:

Mm, I agree. You have to be quite a strong person to stick by someone who is depressed and hurting themselves. Obviously the person in question isn't going to be a lot of fun to be around, the point is that you care about them and want them to get better. It'd be easy to take it all as a personal insult when a depressed friend won't talk to you, doesn't want to do anything and basically doesn't appear to want to be around you. You have to let a lot of things slide, which isn't always easy if you've got problems of your own.

No, I don't agree.

If I were to go sit next to someone and strike up a conversation, and they were completly rude by ignoring me and acting like they want me to leave, im not gunna stay there.

People should'nt have to drop everything to ensure that they wont cut themselves as soon as they leave, As far as im concerned, a cutter will only get help when they want to.

People make everyone feel bad if a person commits suicide or cuts, becauuse "they didn't see it sooner" or something, If the cutter doesnt want to talk to you they wont.
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 8th, 2008 at 08:32pm
Utada Hikaru:
No, I don't agree.

If I were to go sit next to someone and strike up a conversation, and they were completly rude by ignoring me and acting like they want me to leave, im not gunna stay there.

People should'nt have to drop everything to ensure that they wont cut themselves as soon as they leave, As far as im concerned, a cutter will only get help when they want to.

People make everyone feel bad if a person commits suicide or cuts, becauuse "they didn't see it sooner" or something, If the cutter doesnt want to talk to you they wont.

I was more referring to people you already know, like if your best friend started acting like that. I dunno about anyone else but I wouldn't just get up and leave if it was someone I already knew and was friends with.
I don't think people should have to drop everything, but theres a difference between dropping everything and just being around. Otherwise the person in question will/could just feel more alone.
I think people sometimes think that being a good friend to a cutter means you have to be really good at talking to them and knowing the right things to say but in reality, we aren't all counsellors and I know I found the fact that my friends didn't all leave me when I know I was awful to be around meant as much. The times when I did try to rely on a friend for what was basically counselling just ended up in a whole lot of extra stress on our friendship and it sucked.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
November 12th, 2008 at 01:56pm
Mindfuck:
[listened to MCR (or still do - which seems to be rare around INO nowadays...)

i have actually found this to be very true.
I know why they stay here, it's cause of the friends they've made.

Making generalizations about people just because of the music they like or what sites they visit is wrong. MCR's music may be uplifting to some people, and I know it helps me feel better, but it didn't really save my life. Not everyone on here is screwed up. I personally know some very level-headed people through INO. (I'm not one of them, but whatever)
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
November 13th, 2008 at 02:12am
TBH cutting is usually just for attention.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 13th, 2008 at 11:43am
jorgialuvsmcr:
TBH cutting is usually just for attention.

Thankyou for your absolutly riveting contribution to this discussion.

Cutting isnt always for attention. Why would cutters be ashamed of it then?

yes, there are some people who see it as a way to get attention, but they are the minority.