Don't have an account? Create one!

Cancer

AuthorMessage
stormygirl84
Jazz Hands
stormygirl84
December 16th, 2006 at 11:31pm
This song is pretty self-explanatory, which I actually find a little refreshing. You don't really have to go digging for the deeper meaning - it's right there. I think sometimes when you have to ponder exactly what the artist is talking about the actual realization is all the more jarring. Like, I didn't realize at first that "Helena" was about a girl's death. (I honestly thought it was just another break-up song. *ducks the rotten fruit being thrown*) It just hit me after a while, and I just went, "Oh, God..." And cried, of course.

The first time I heard "Cancer" was the SNL performance, and I wound up on my knees in tears. I've had a lot of people taken away from me by this gutless killer, and the song just went straight to my heart.

We all ought to donate $5 or so to the American Cancer Society (or whatever sort of foundation they have in your own countries, for you non-Americans) this holiday season. Every little bit helps.
GWxBBxMWxFIxRT
Killjoy
GWxBBxMWxFIxRT
December 18th, 2006 at 10:37pm
When i first heard this song i started crying .. My mom has cancer and my grandmother had cancer and my other grandmother had cancer and my aunt had cancer .. so cancer basically runs in my family .. I watch my mom suffer everyday with cancer so basically that song was everything i am afraid of .. <3 cortney
Immortal .
Fabulous Killjoy
Immortal .
December 19th, 2006 at 10:50am
It doesn't have to be related to somone dying. It can allso relate to depression.

"Turn away " - Don´t look at me. I´m not worth to look at.
"If you could get me a drink of water
'Cause my lips are chapped and faded" - I wish you could make me talk. I want to tell everyone about the things I've done in my life
"Call my Aunt Marie
Help her gather all my things" - Help me forget all my pain, just for one day.
"And bury me in all my favorite colors" - Why are you so nice to me? It only gets worse.
My sisters and my brothers
"Still I will not kiss you" - You deserve so much better than me
"'Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you" - I might kill myself. But I don´t wanna leave you here.

"Now turn away
'Cause I'm awful just to see" - Why are you still caring?
"'Cause all my hair´s abounded all my body" - I've lost all my pride.
"Oh my agony" - This life is killing me.
"Know that I will never marry" - No one would ever want me
"Baby, I'm just soggy from the chemo
But counting down the days to go" - I´m worthless. I just have a couple of days left to life. Then everything will be over.
"It just ain't living" - Hope that no one have to suffer like I do. Is this hos life really is?
"And I just hope you know
That if you say
Goodbye today
I'd ask you to be true" - If you talked to me and said goodbye, I would die happy. You have to understand that I have to do this.
"'Cause the hardest part of this i leaving you" - I will still allways love you

I says: Don´t look at me. I should not exist.

Hope my version meke sense to you.

Now about the Patient´s diseese:

I think the thing with the heart is a metaphor. The Patient thought it was something wrong with his heart (his feelings). But he died in cancer though.
xXDemolitionxLoserXx
Killjoy
xXDemolitionxLoserXx
December 19th, 2006 at 12:43pm
well... obviously the charactere in this song if on the verdge of death, of cancer. His spouce spends every waking minute with him, and he is telling her (or him hehe) that it's ok to go, and to get all of his stuff and inform his family. He wants them to know that He loves them, and if he had a choice he wouldnd leave, but he doesnt have any say.
Total Phreek
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Total Phreek
December 21st, 2006 at 01:13am
I thought it was an amazing song, I lost my best friend to cancer and the song really got me.
Standupfuckingtall.
Killjoy
Standupfuckingtall.
December 21st, 2006 at 01:28am
Rachypoo:
the song almost made me cry when i heard it.
my grandma died of cancer (and i actually saw her die...) and so i can understand the song.
i was also worried when i heard it because i was like "omfg Gerard has cancer???''
cuz it was so believeable

Your avatar is funny...

Sorry, I got side tracked. Anyways, I think the song is another metaphor, to me personally, I think it's about sanity and what not. I think it also talks about how Gerard never really found someone he could undoubtedly love and marry, hence "to know that I will never marry", This song has a two-sided meaning to it though, one side is a metaphor that they were trying to get across, and the other is actually about the disease. They really just want to paint a picture in your head I think and make it so that "cancer" is whatever problem you have or anything that you see as dreadful, so that you can relate to it. It's really just different for each person I think.

I'm not sure if anyone can really understand that ^ but I tried to get my thoughts across on it...
Emo Dirtbag
Killjoy
Emo Dirtbag
December 21st, 2006 at 12:37pm
i think it is about this dude that is dying and he is telling his loved ones that this is the hardest thing i have ever done leaving you.
Standupfuckingtall.
Killjoy
Standupfuckingtall.
December 21st, 2006 at 04:54pm
Worldwarme:
It doesn't have to be related to somone dying. It can allso relate to depression.

"Turn away " - Don´t look at me. I´m not worth to look at.
"If you could get me a drink of water
'Cause my lips are shupped and faded" - I wish you could make me talk. I want to tell everyone about the things I've done in my life
"Call my Aunt Marie
Help her gather all my things" - Help me forget all my pain, just for one day.
"And bury me in all my favorite colors" - Why are you so nice to me? It only gets worse.
My sisters and my brothers
"Still I will not kiss you" - You deserve so much better than me
"'Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you" - I might kill myself. But I don´t wanna leave you here.

"Now turn away
'Cause I'm awful just to see" - Why are you still caring?
"'Cause all my hair´s abounded all my body" - I've lost all my pride.
"Oh my agony" - This life is killing me.
"Know that I will never marry" - No one would ever want me
"Baby, I'm just soggy from the chemo
But counting down the days to go" - I´m worthless. I just have a couple of days left to life. Then everything will be over.
"It just ain't living" - Hope that no one have to suffer like I do. Is this hos life really is?
"And I just hope you know
That if you say
Goodbye today
I'd ask you to be true" - If you talked to me and said goodbye, I would die happy. You have to understand that I have to do this.
"'Cause the hardest part of this i leaving you" - I will still allways love you

I says: Don´t look at me. I should not exist.

Hope my version meke sense to you.

Now about the Patient´s diseese:

I think the thing with the heart is a metaphor. The Patient thought it was something wrong with his heart (his feelings). But he died in cancer though.

I think thats probably the best translation for it, but I think it's my lips are chapped and faded
paint.it.black.
Killjoy
paint.it.black.
December 21st, 2006 at 07:41pm
well, i may be wrong but i think that this song is about cancer... *cough*sarcasm*cough* but uh, when i first heard this song i was lioke OMG DOES GERARD HAVE CANCER???????? thyen i found out about the patient. this song is about saying goodbye and dying... its a pretty hot song.
IstoleGeesEyeliner
Killjoy
IstoleGeesEyeliner
December 22nd, 2006 at 04:46am
ithink that he is dying and he is an agony"oh my agony"
so hes scared of dying but he doesnt know what he wants to do .
does he want 2 die or does he want to live
Immortal .
Fabulous Killjoy
Immortal .
December 22nd, 2006 at 05:03am
Justtheworstkind.: Thank you. Yeah, you´re right. I spelled it wrong Rolling Eyes
the-fallen-angel
Killjoy
the-fallen-angel
December 22nd, 2006 at 04:31pm
i love this song and hate it at the same time yo know what i mean it means soooo much to me the first time i heard it i was on the floor in tears i would rather not explain why as i hate talking about but i hate it cuz i cant listen to itwithout crying lol when your in the middle of scoollistening to this song in tears things get a bit awkward especialy whn your in a lesson :s
Angel-Of-Unknown
Killjoy
Angel-Of-Unknown
December 23rd, 2006 at 04:23am
cancer is really awsum. i really like it
M.Y.O.B.
Jazz Hands
M.Y.O.B.
December 24th, 2006 at 01:06pm
I've read somewhere that Gerard and Mikey lost their grandmother from cancer.
This information might be wrong,but i wanted to share it with you.
I think we all feel that Gerard is singing of his heart this song.
I don't know I just would hug someone when I hear this song.
Beautiful.So Beautiful. Crying or Very sad
mymikeyromance
Killjoy
mymikeyromance
December 25th, 2006 at 06:51am
i first heard of this song on mtv during their concert in pennsylvania(?). it completely took over me. it's the number one reason why i bought their recent album (well, that and the song wttbp). anyway, i think it talks about the sufferings a cancer patient undergoes or if not, it serves as a metaphor for everyday challenges that are too huge to handle. but either way the bottomline is that the person ends up bidding good bye to the people he/she loves.
it's oh so sad and i love it.
Failure to Breathe.
Motor Baby
Failure to Breathe.
December 27th, 2006 at 12:52pm
yeah... i think the song is about.. well what all of you said. heh.
about how .... hes leaving ... he knows it...but hes telling his.. (family?) that to be honest with him... because the hardest part of this is leaving you.. and yeah.. i dont make that much sincce... but its all good..
but yeah. my grandpa died august...13.2006 and he actually liked mcr which was scary because he didnt like much new stuff...and then that song comes out...
and my grandpa died of lukemia and he underwent chemo..
GOD... that song made me cry more than once...
-_-

but it is a good song.. in its on way... you know?
fucku2
Killjoy
fucku2
December 27th, 2006 at 01:38pm
Rachypoo:
the song almost made me cry when i heard it.
my grandma died of cancer (and i actually saw her die...) and so i can understand the song.
i was also worried when i heard it because i was like "omfg Gerard has cancer???''
cuz it was so believeable

my aunt died from cancer..... the day after her first kemo treatment.... my mom sayed tha she would call her the next day but she died in her sleep that night....soo ..... yea i did cry when i heard the song
fucku2
Killjoy
fucku2
December 27th, 2006 at 01:42pm
The_Black_Parade:
well... obviously the charactere in this song if on the verdge of death, of cancer. His spouce spends every waking minute with him, and he is telling her (or him hehe) that it's ok to go, and to get all of his stuff and inform his family. He wants them to know that He loves them, and if he had a choice he wouldnd leave, but he doesnt have any say.

yes frank is better than chocolate..... but gerard is better than chocolate coverd marshmellows..........so yea boooo yaaaa
Helena'sGhOsT
Jazz Hands
Helena'sGhOsT
December 29th, 2006 at 09:00am
my grama and my best frnd both died of cancer and i had a brain tumor scare so this song real speaks 2 me. it reminds me 2 never for get the defeated and the broken the beaten and the damned.
rock on gerard!!!!!!!!!!!
The Hero.
Joining The Black Parade
The Hero.
December 29th, 2006 at 10:17pm
I think that The End. is actually where the Patient starts to die. At the beginning, you can hear a slow heartbeat. At the end of the song, and in the beginning of Dead! you can hear the heartbeat stops. The Patient dies there.
I think Cancer is just the Patient looking back at the people who have been saddened by the Patient's death.