Don't have an account? Create one!

Cancer

AuthorMessage
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
May 14th, 2007 at 04:18am
I guess this song is self-explanatory.

It's in the Patient's point of view... I guess he's saying that I've come to face the fact that I'm dying... would you respect my last wishes?

"And I just hope you know that if you say goodbye today, I'd ask you to be true..." I'm guessing it means that he wants the goodbye to really be from the heart, not just some lame "Hey. Bye." kind of thing. I'm thinking he's saying this because any day could be his last day, and he doesn't want a brush-off goodbye for a last farewell.

" 'coz the hardest part of this is leaving you..." He's saying that he doesn't mind the death, just the fact that he will never see the person ever again.

It's like... an ironic sort of song. He's feeling pretty down, but his words sting with a heavy optimism.

It's just a speculation. I don't really think it's right or anything... Smile
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
May 14th, 2007 at 05:43am

^^
Yea, its kinda like hes accepting that hes dying and giving his final wishes!
xxcryingallalonexx
Killjoy
xxcryingallalonexx
May 14th, 2007 at 10:38am
I agree, BUT! I think when it says, 'and I ask you to be true' he means don't get married again. Like stay mine if you get what I mean?
But thasts just my opinion!

Punk
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
May 15th, 2007 at 01:18am
Yea, that's also a possibility...

I never thought of it that way!!!

Smile

Thanks!
Miketh Way.
Salute You in Your Grave
Miketh Way.
May 15th, 2007 at 06:52am
this song is really emotional.

i think its about the patient who is telling his loved ones that he will miss them when he leaves.

"that if you say good bye today, i'd ask you to be true" - his last wish for them is to be honest and 'clean'.
"i will not kiss you, cuz the hardest part of this is leaving you" - he could've been saying that to girlfriend/wife/ some one special.
"counting down the days to go" - he knows that he's going to leave in a few days.

on the other hand, this song might have been written for someone who the band knew and were very close to.
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 15th, 2007 at 10:11pm
xxcryingallalonexx:
I agree, BUT! I think when it says, 'and I ask you to be true' he means don't get married again. Like stay mine if you get what I mean?

Punk

Well he said, "Know that I will never marry," so I don't think they were married. But I think you're on to something. I think "ask you to be true," line is saying, "Please don't forget me."
Catastrophic Dreams
Jazz Hands
Catastrophic Dreams
May 16th, 2007 at 06:52am
Solitary Style.:
xxcryingallalonexx:

Punk

Well he said, "Know that I will never marry," so I don't think they were married. But I think you're on to something. I think "ask you to be true," line is saying, "Please don't forget me."
you guys bvring up a good point and i think you're onto something
xxxdarkangelxxx
Fabulous Killjoy
xxxdarkangelxxx
May 16th, 2007 at 08:58am
No, guys...yer all wrong...Gerard's father had cancer, so he wrote that song and also wrote what it feels to have cancer...why would he even know what cancer will do to you if he haven't seen anyone in his family or his relatives with cancer...but sadly, his daddy DID...omfg...
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 16th, 2007 at 02:38pm
xxxdarkangelxxx:
No, guys...yer all wrong...Gerard's father had cancer, so he wrote that song and also wrote what it feels to have cancer...why would he even know what cancer will do to you if he haven't seen anyone in his family or his relatives with cancer...but sadly, his daddy DID...omfg...

Why would he call his father, "baby?" I understand he's been touched by cancer--in one of his concerts he said that one in three people has been affected by it somehow. But I do believe that he's talking to his lover
Catastrophic Dreams
Jazz Hands
Catastrophic Dreams
May 16th, 2007 at 03:49pm
Solitary Style.:
xxxdarkangelxxx:

Why would he call his father, "baby?" I understand he's been touched by cancer--in one of his concerts he said that one in three people has been affected by it somehow. But I do believe that he's talking to his lover
I agree with Solitary Style because why would he call his father "baby"
thnkhppythghts13
Killjoy
thnkhppythghts13
May 16th, 2007 at 08:21pm
laura's last words:
x-tara-x:
STFU.:
Cancer is about a patient in the hospital suffering from the disease.
I was most likely wrong, but I thought that the patient died of heart problems. In Dead! it says:
"During this operation
Found a complication
In your heart, so long
Cause now you've got
Maybe just two weeks to live"

And also, on the hidden game on mychemicalromance.com it asks "How did you get here?" (as in how did you die) and you click on the heart if you want to get anywhere. So I had just thought it was the heart...

1)I think that maybe the patient did die of heart complication. To me, the song is about someone he met in the Black Parade and is telling him their story of how they died of cancer.

2)But, Gerard did state that he bleached his hair blonde to 'take on the character of the patient.' (The blonde is supposed to make him look bald) And in AP the patient is bald, like a cancer patient who has been through Chemo.

Those are my 2 best guesses.

pretty damn good....... i think it might be about someone he loved that died of cancer or like what you said
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 17th, 2007 at 01:29am
Question--what's "AP?" From the quote above, that is. Don't laugh at me; I've had a long day.
vEnom flavour_cookiE
Killjoy
vEnom flavour_cookiE
May 17th, 2007 at 05:10am
its about giving up when you have cancer. knowing youre too far gone and theres nothing you can do anymore, and how the person who has it is resigned and theyre accepting their fate.
cancers a shitty, horrible thing to have. it does awful things to you, and i dont think that theres anyone in the world who hasnt ever been affected by it, whether or no they themselves have it. and as one in three people get cancer, you can imagine how many more are hurt by what it does to the victim.

ive seen mcr twice in their recent tours. both times i cried my heart out when they played this song.
deathwish
Fabulous Killjoy
deathwish
May 17th, 2007 at 09:06pm
This song is really really sad.
The first time i heard it i cried now I always end up choking up when i hear it. =[
But i still love it<3
lorilee krizelle.
In The Murder Scene
lorilee krizelle.
May 18th, 2007 at 07:38am
the song cancer is really sad..
i think its about the patient accepting death but not accepting that the one's he love will never see him again..
the song touched me deeply..
when i heard it i felt like that gee is dedicating that song to me..
no i dont have cancer but in someway the song just connects to me..
it always make me teary eye..
papershoe
Fabulous Killjoy
papershoe
May 19th, 2007 at 02:46pm
yupp i think cancer is the patient knowing that hes about to die, and telling all the people close to him that he loves them. i also think this song is showing that its hard for the patient to deal with it too but hes trying to be strong about it. and what someone before said about the heart problems i never really thought about that, i agree though, good job!!
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 19th, 2007 at 11:51pm
Well yeah--heart problems, and there's another discrepancy--doesn't the Patient die during "Welcome to the Black Parade"? I think the Patient was played by Ray (don't kill me if I'm wrong!), and he had a full head of hair at his death, so it probably wasn't cancer. The song "Cancer" is several tracks afterward.

This leads me to think one of two things:

1. The patient didn't really die at "Welcome to the Black Parade,"
or
2. This Cancer patient is not the main Patient.

Just my thoughts.
papershoe
Fabulous Killjoy
papershoe
May 19th, 2007 at 11:58pm
i was thinking...if the song isnt about cancer, then why is it called cancer?
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 20th, 2007 at 12:06am
Oh, I think it's about cancer. I'm just not sure if it's about the main Patient, is all.
papershoe
Fabulous Killjoy
papershoe
May 20th, 2007 at 11:14am
ohh ok, that makes sense, ya i get what you mean because like you said he is supposed to die in welcome to the black parade, unless we have a misunderstanding about the song... hmmm..or maybe he didnt die in welcome to the black parade, maybe welcome to the black parade could be just the beggining of the patient realizing that he is about to die, his begginging to accept the idea of death, realizing whats ahead of him...and almost looking at death in a positive way, which gerard and the rest of mcr seem to stress alot, the beauty behind death. a perfect example being the song helena... and even welcome to the black parade would be an example because of the whole idea of death coming to you in your fondest memory. the patient hasnt died yet, but is realizing the fact that he is going to die and that it is ok to die, everyone will sooner or later, and he too is realizing that theres some beauty behind death. and if you think about it, the first few songs before welcome to the black parade seem to be more focused on the patient doubting and worrying about the fact that he is going to die, and the rest of the songs after black parade almost seem to be the patients acceptance of death, realizing its ok to die and that he is going to die, and looking back at the life he had...in cancer i guess he is saying good bye to his loved ones, and he is, once again, accepting the fact that he is going to die and is trying to be strong about it...and in a sense mcr is trying to portray a message about death, and trying to wake us all up and realize like hey your gonna die..do you have a problem with it???..... and in a way we could all relate to the patient in the beggining as far as worrying about death but then he realized its ok to die, and mcr is trying to do the same for us...and while doing that, with every single song individually their teaching us something about life, but once all the songs are put together like a story it seems to be all together about death and once again waking us all up about the fact that we are going to die, and to stop running from the fact and start accepting the fact that we are all going to die (and i think showing us the good behind it almost makes us less afraid). to live your life and enjoy it while you can, and to, once again, show the beauty behind death since we are constantly hearing the negative side of it...ya know what i mean??? does this even make any sense?