AuthorMessage
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 28th, 2007 at 03:02am
Resurgam:
Fer Suuure Jenni:
druscilla_way:
I don't say 'that's so gay' because why should 'gay' be a synonym for 'stupid'?

Why should gay be a synonym for homosexual? Gay originally means happy, but do to slang, the meaning of gay can mean three different things: happy, homosexual, and stupid. It is not saying that homosexuals are stupid.

Originally, true, gay did mean 'happy', but it's become a recognized definition that gay now means 'homosexual'. There's nothing offensive about associating the two together, unless there are some very happy homophobics out there who want their adjective back.

But 'gay' already means 'homosexual', so associating it with 'bad' pretty much degrades an entire group of people (I mean, there are plenty of gay people out there who have no problem with it, but it technically does). Also, the slang of calling something bad 'gay' didn't come from the definition of 'gay' being 'happy', it came from the definition of 'gay' being 'homosexual'. That's also not to say that people who use 'gay' in that way are in any way against homosexual people, but originally, no one was thinking "what's a word to describe how lame this is? It's so lame it's....happy! Yes! This is gay!"

How is it degrading? I don't see it. Plus, how do you know how gay=stupid came to be? Someone maybe just said "Wow this is so BAD it is GOOD?" Have you ever heard that phrase. Maybe something was so bad is was happy. Thus "Wow this is gay." Not like someone was going, "Well I think this book likes other books in a sexual/romantic way, wow this book is gay."
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 28th, 2007 at 04:07am
^Well, think of it like this: "I hate this class. It's so Chinese!" "This essay is stupid. It's totally female!" It's not quite the same because Chinese, female, etc, are words used to describe only Chinese people and females, but it's pretty close.

Okay, I don't really know how 'gay' came to mean 'stupid'. But it has only happened in this last generation. And 'gay' has meant 'homosexual' as early as the 1920's, and has meant 'homosexual' almost exculsively for the past fifteen/twenty years. Which means whatever person it was that first announced that their stupid test or whatever was "so gay", that person almost assuredly thought of the term to mean 'homosexual'. Besides, 'gay' as a negative just has a much clearer etymology from 'homosexual' than 'happy'. Sure, some people say that something is so bad, it's good, or whatever, but (to me, at least) it seems much more likely that someone who did not approve of homosexuality used 'gay' to describe something they disliked equally as much.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 28th, 2007 at 07:20am
The problem with your argument is that you are assuming someone uses gay in a negative connotation.

"When used with a derisive attitude (e.g. "that was so gay"Wink, the word gay is pejorative. The Times (June 6, 2006, p.3) comments that while retaining its other meanings, it has also acquired "a widespread current usage" amongst young people, to mean "lame" or "rubbish". This pejorative usage has its origins in the 1980s, when homosexuality was more widely seen as negative by many people. Beginning in the 1990s and especially in the 2000s, the usage as a generic insult became common among young people, who may or may not link the term to homosexuality. This practice is frowned upon in communities that seek to ensure respect for people of all sexual orientations, and is considered by some to be on par with ethnic slurs. Many defenders of the word's pejorative usage choose to spell it "ghey" to avoid any sexual connotations. Critics object to this change of spelling, often comparing it to the use of words like "knigger" or "nigga" for nigger to evade accusations of racism.

A 2006 BBC ruling by the Board of Governors over the use of the word in this context by Chris Moyles on his Radio 1 show, "I don't want that one, it's gay", stated that:"
-Wikipedia.

"The word 'gay' ... need not be offensive... or homophobic... The governors said, however, that Moyles was simply keeping up with developments in English usage. [...] The committee... was "familiar with hearing this word in this context." The governors believed that in describing a ring tone as 'gay', the DJ was conveying that he thought it was 'rubbish', rather than 'homosexual'. [...] The panel acknowledged however that this use... in a derogatory sense... could cause offence in some listeners, and counselled caution on its use."
-Wikipedia.

When I say, "Wow that show is so gay." I am not useing it in a negative connotation. I am not using it as a insult against homosexuals. I am using it as a slang word for "stupid." I do not believe calling something "gay" is on par with calling someone the n word. Though, actually, the n word just means someone who is ignorant, and was only used to catagorize Black people during the slave trade. Anyway, no one really knows how or why someone decided to use gay as "stupid." It is the same as someone deciding "mad" means "very." (which is aparently something we East Coasteres only use). Or ass meaning a persons rear end/ ignorant person. Call it, the evolution of the word.
Melius.
Bleeding on the Floor
Melius.
February 28th, 2007 at 11:46am
I don't think about "gay" as different in a bad way. Not at all.! I've got some gay freinds, and I can tell them everything.They're not bad and they're totaly nice! They're not bad people. If you don't like gay people, okey. But please: Keep it in your mind.!! Don't laugh at them, attack them or hurt them at all. They're humanbeing. And if you are a humanbeing I suggest that you leave them alone. (This is only for those who've hurted someone who's different, no matter how. if you've hurt someone at all in perpes..)
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 28th, 2007 at 04:17pm
Ack, sorry, I misspoke. I didn't mean that people who say 'gay' as 'stupid' are necessarily linking it to anti-homosexual feelings. I have nothing against gay people but used to describe annoying stuff as 'gay' all the time. I know there are plenty of people who don't mean to link 'gay' as 'stupid' to homosexuality at all. But they still are linked - gay means 'homosexual' and it's also slang for 'lame'. Even if the two definitions are not linked in the mind of the person who uses 'gay' both ways, if you take a step back, using the word both ways is (or can at least come off as) insulting. I can't think of any other slang word now meaning something along the lines of 'bad' that was originally used to describe a group of people in a non-derogatory way. You're right, it is evolution of a word; I just don't agree with the way it's evolving.
PunkerThanThou
Thinking Happy Thoughts
PunkerThanThou
February 28th, 2007 at 06:34pm
^ Yeah I was complaining to people about that today.

On average, teens use gay in a derogatory fashion 12 times a day.

I think it's actually disturbing how people think it's okay to do that; but recently I've decided to simply mock them, because they're ignorant morons. The problem is, the word shouldn't have evolved this way in the first place. Because some people make sure to say that when they say "That's gay", they mean it in a homophobic fashion. Bothers the hell out of me.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 28th, 2007 at 09:27pm
Everyone I know who uses the word gay [when not referring to homosexuals] uses it to mean 'stupid' or something similiar to stupid.
I have never heard it used in another way.
Ever.
That's what I believe that people use the term to mean 'stupid'.
Because that's how they use it around me.
Always.
Ava Maria
Bleeding on the Floor
Ava Maria
March 1st, 2007 at 11:23am
I support it all.
I'm bisexual and I've had a rough time with people just knowing that.

People need to back off and cool off.It's what we are and no matter how much they hate it we're staying this way.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 4th, 2007 at 01:50pm
To answer your question (as far as I know, at least), the basic idea of banning incestuous marriages is because inbreeding can lead to genetic defects (though defects would really only show up if things were kept 'in the family' for several generations). Plus, you know, ew.

Also, incestuous attraction doesn't work the same as homosexual attraction (as you apparently know; I'm just clarifying). People who are homosexual are only attracted to people of the same gender. People who are attracted to their sister could be attracted to other women, but just have a specific preference for their one sister. Personally, if two siblings can be attracted to each other, well, good for them. But denying them the right to marry is no where near the same as denying homosexual people the right to marry.[/quote]

Now my question is why not? If we want to be pro gay marriges but anti-incestuous, (sp?) Arn't we as bad as the anti-gay marrige believers? But the problem with this is that one could say: "If we allow gay marriges, we'll open the door to incest. Then that will open the door to beastiality." Actualy, during my lunch our, how always am having a debate with a friend of mine on gay marriges. I'm alwas defending gays, but he keeps saying it will open the door. to animal/human sex.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
March 4th, 2007 at 02:01pm
^Well, it's generally accepted that homosexuality is part of the human condition. Some people are blue-eyed, some are tall, and some are gay. But being attracted to a member of your family is not something that just happens in every population; it's pretty much a result of small populations living in secluded areas. It's more of a choice than homosexuality is. A gay person is only attracted to members of the same sex, but no one is only attracted to their sister. Like I said, I don't really have much of a problem with it, but I figure the percentage of people who really, truly, can not possibly be happy unless they are married to a member of their family had got to be so small that it's not worth fighting for. Or at least, not until gay people have their rights.

Of course, bestiality is a whole seperate thing. I always think it's sort of stupid to compare the two - bestiality can't exactly happen between two consenting adults if animals can't consent, can it?
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 4th, 2007 at 08:03pm
THX. I've been needing a way to get around that topic every time he brought it up. He's a devoted christian and i'm irreligous so thats where most of the problems come from.
diesel
Killjoy
diesel
March 6th, 2007 at 12:48am
To take the gene factor flawed thinking out of an incestual marriage, if you support gay marriages do you also support a gay incestual marriage?
porcelain-star
Fabulous Killjoy
porcelain-star
March 6th, 2007 at 05:02am
I, personally don't believe in marriage, its lame and stupid. but if you love someone, why should anyone stop you from marrying them just coz your the same sex?? get real -_-
XCyanideSuicideX
Fabulous Killjoy
XCyanideSuicideX
March 6th, 2007 at 04:39pm
YOU CANT HELP WHO YOU LOVE AND I AM ALL FOR GAY MARRIAGE EVEN THOUGH I WOULD NEVER MYSELF GET MARRIED TO SUMONE OF MY OWN SEX JUST CAUSE ITS MY CHOICE BUT IF U TRULY OLVE EACH OTHER THEN IM ALL FOR IT PPL IN THIS WORLD SHOULD LEARN NOT TO JUDGE OTHERS ON THE PERSON THEY LOVE <3
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 6th, 2007 at 08:27pm
diesel:
To take the gene factor flawed thinking out of an incestual marriage, if you support gay marriages do you also support a gay incestual marriage?

You want to know the truth? Ya. It's THEIR lives and the goverment shouldn't be involed...EVER.
Melius.
Bleeding on the Floor
Melius.
March 9th, 2007 at 12:28pm
I din't mean to attack anyone with what i saidRazz really.! I just .. said what I felt . I'm sorry if annyone felt like I was attacking.Razz But.. Honestly: Why is gay people like "different" for someone? I don't get it..! IOkay. It might be a bit weird for someone to think about it.. but Gay guys.. They fall in love!! Just like straight guysWink But they don't like girlsSmile
Melius.
Bleeding on the Floor
Melius.
March 9th, 2007 at 12:29pm
It's in you're DNAWink (to be gay)
Melius.
Bleeding on the Floor
Melius.
March 9th, 2007 at 12:33pm
And yes.! I think gays right to get merried is the same as ours. I don't know about amerika and england. But in norway we're kind of accepting it now. . ! I think it's unfair to deny them love! That's really mean. What if you loved someone(girl/boy) and everyone just torned you appart and laughed at you, called you things and throwed thing at you. What would that make you feel like? Like the gay guys does when thse who do theese things does it to them? If any one who reads this, feels like they've done this..: Shape up! Accept them!! Please..! Wink
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
March 9th, 2007 at 06:33pm
If you're the last person to post, and want to add more, it's easier to press "edit" (next to quote, link etc.) and add more to your post.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 9th, 2007 at 10:26pm
Smashing Pumpkin:
It's in you're DNAWink (to be gay)

No it's not. If that were true, if you can have two children, one could be gay and the other may not be. Think about it, if homosexuality came from DNA, their would be NO homosexuals.