Don't have an account? Create one!

Homosexual Rights.

AuthorMessage
wilson.
Shotgun Sinner
wilson.
February 17th, 2007 at 01:42am
Ruby -
I definately can't match your example, so really I'll just agree for now.
Governments resent change when it's not fully under their control.
Change to them is like having a rug pulled from under their feet; if they can't hit the ground running someone else will beat them to the finish line.
They've managed to reach some form of agreement/peace with the Church, but if they introduce policies that directly clash with the way the Church is run it won't only piss off those who belong to the Church, it will piss off other majorities/minorities as well.
Why aren't they getting special treatment?
Why aren't they getting policies too?
And so on, so forth.
I think you get my point.
don't aim to please.
Banned
don't aim to please.
February 17th, 2007 at 01:46am
bloodredruby69:
With that attitude, it won't be long before the Mods are talking to you.

The quote where Gerard says "he is a homosexual" is false.
I can guarantee that by about 99%.
Especially considering how in one of the latest interviews
with Kerrang he said he just broke up with his girlfriend of 6 years.

By the way, if you keep responding without talking about the topic,
it is spam, and I will report it. This is about the third homosexual rights
thread, and it is a precarious one for spam already.
-------------------

Taylor - Unfortunately, religion is the one thing that we can never
truly rid ourselves from when it comes to the government
and laws. The gov't is so terrified of angering large amounts
of people, that it can't afford to alienate any group that may
re-elect it.

It's killing the rights of the few to gain the approval of the many.
Omg, he was being sarcastic! Of course he didn't mean it, he was trying to prove a point. if you would actually go look it up, instead of relying on what you think you know, you would know that I'm not lying. Oh and so you don't say this is spam: equal rights for all, separation of church and state, civil unions aren't equal, all that jazz.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
February 17th, 2007 at 01:54am
^Hence why I wanted the link.
As it, it was a misquote.
I remember that quote, and he didn't say he was a homosexual.
I don't remember exactly what it was, but it wasn't "I am a homosexual. "
And yes, that still constitutes as spam.

Last chance.

EDIT: Alrighty then, have it as you will.
I don't appreciate you being a brat and
spamming in here, and then taunting
me with things like "you're not a mod"

I've reported you. Just so that you know.
----------------------------------------

Taylor - That's it though, isn't it?
Change is a terrifying thing to people.
They don't know how to function or act, or who to turn to.
Change has to be slow and steady, or unease will spread
adn the gov't will lose not only face, but credability.

The gov't is not necessarily about what is best,
but what makes the majority happy.
don't aim to please.
Banned
don't aim to please.
February 17th, 2007 at 02:34am
Y'know what? Go ahead and delete my posts? Be a kiss ass, teacher's pet if you want but don't expect to snark at me and I'm just gonna take it. Whatever, I'm over this and you.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
February 17th, 2007 at 02:43am
PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE THREAD.
I'VE HAD TO DELETE NUMEROUS POSTS, AND I'D RATHER USE MY TIME TO DO SOMETHING ELSE.
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
February 24th, 2007 at 05:45pm
I believe in it with all my heart and soul, and it amazes me how much sexual preference is overlooked. On the first day of school we got a pamphlet on discipline, listing offenses and their respective consequences. One of the more major offenses was hate harassment--"harassment of any individual because of race, colour, sex, religion, or ethnic background." No sexual preference. Unfortunately, school is not the only place that this is true. Most workplaces don't have a preference discrimination policy, and workers can be fired or rejected from even applying because of their sexual orientation. This as actually happened to my friend who tried to apply to a summer job at our grocery store. He is rather flamboyant but not offensively so [he's not like William Sledd, but you can tell] and the manager rejected him flat-out without even looking at his resume.
I know how it feels to be picked on; simply because I am in the gay-straight-alliance at school [I don't believe in sexuality myself, I think that I have the capacity to fall in love with anyone as long as they're kind and willing to give it back] I've actually gotten threats, which is scary, honestly. I don't think anyone should have to go through hell like my friend does, because he gets it much worse than I do. He invited me to be the maid of honor at his wedding. I myself am not goiing to get married until I can fulfill that promise.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
February 25th, 2007 at 01:42pm
nick_eats_babies:
i feel that its kind of un-constitutional (in america) to not let gays and other homosexuals get married, unaileable rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
Wasn't the pursuit of happiness meant to be about wealth or something like that?
And all men are created equal. Men, and just created equal. If they "succumb to inappropriate behaviors" or something like that, people could say that they lose their right to that equality.

Anyway.
I agree though.
xxStephaniexxx1fanxx
Killjoy
xxStephaniexxx1fanxx
February 25th, 2007 at 05:34pm
Just like Frank said-Homopobia is GAY!!!!!!!
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
February 26th, 2007 at 03:28am
xxStephaniexxx1fanxx:
Just like Frank said-Homopobia is GAY!!!!!!!

This is NOT discussion.
Quoting what Frank said is allowed, as long as YOU also elaborate, to form YOUR OWN opinion.
WHY do you think homophobia is gay?
How can anybody change that?
ETC.
billy99
Motor Baby
billy99
February 26th, 2007 at 07:30am
Homophobia is gay? I dunno. For me, not really, because being afraid of gay people doesn't really mean you're gay too.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 26th, 2007 at 08:16pm
^The idea is that homophobics (and other people) use the word "gay" as a derogatory term (ie "that math test was so gay!" "I can't believe I'm grounded! How gay is that?" ). So saying "homophobia is gay" is basically saying that homophobia is bad, but it's saying it in the way homophobic people say it to make a point. Does that make sense? (I'm sick and my brain is sort of fried so it might not)
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 26th, 2007 at 09:16pm
Just to clear something up- just because you use gay as stupid, doesn't mean you are abomophobe. There's actually a homosexual at my job who saids, almost none stop, "Oh my god, this is sooooo gay." It's a slang term used, especially in the east coast. I am even guilty go saying it: not not as a derogatory term. Gay in this sense, means stupid. If someone was throwing around the word Fag and faggot: "Wow you are a faggot" THEN it would be considered a derogatory term.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 26th, 2007 at 11:21pm
I don't say 'that's so gay' because why should 'gay' be a synonym for 'stupid'?
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 27th, 2007 at 01:09am
I don't really believe in gay 'marriage' as such... why not just be satisfied with a civil union or similar? As someone pointed out on one of the first pages of this thread, churches have the right to refuse to marry atheists, muslims, unbaptised heteros, etc and so on.
So if they want to refuse to marry gays because they feel it goes against their beliefs, just as marrying someone who doesn't believe in God in their church, then they should have every right to do so.

I'm bi and when in a relationship with a girl, I could never envision being 'married' to them - I always wanted to eventually find a man who I could have children with. And yes, that opens the debate for gay adoption etc, but I always wanted to carry a child in my belly and give birth to my own flesh and blood, not just sign papers and spend a crapload of money to acquire someboy else's child.

This may sound uncaring to some, but hey, don't we all hear everyone say that 'marriage is just a piece of paper, after all?' It's true. What counts is the day-to-day basics of your relationship - and you can still take out a loan for a car, build your dream home, cook each other dinner and have fantastic sex even without having a priest have you 'repeat after me'.
I am planning to marry my partner (btw this is a hetero relationship) in a couple of years' time, but we may have to have a celebrant rather than fulfill my dream of a church wedding because he's never been baptised (although he's at heart a Christian, like myself, we're just not 'practicing' Christians), and he refuses to go through the motions just to get a church wedding for me, when we could just as easily do it on a beach or at the Botanic Gardens or something, it's still a 'real wedding'.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Think back to women having to fight for decades to get the right to vote, and then be thankful that at least in this day and age, your sexuality isn't considered a terribly important characteristic. You can still love and be with and share your life with your partner, and as far as I know civil ceremonies are permitted in some places, so why not just be content with that? Because in my eyes the Church will never back down on its stance - they've been doing the same old bull**it for thousands of years now, it's just a fact of life that they have their doctrines and going against them would be sacrilege.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 27th, 2007 at 01:22am
^Yeah, but marriage is a legal thing, not just a religious ceremony, and at the moment, civil unions do not provide the same legal rights as marriages. Besides, "separate but equal" does not have a history of working. Of course, if a church wants to deny a couple the right to marry, that's their own decision, but courthouses should not be able to make that choice.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
February 27th, 2007 at 02:11am
Resurgam:
Of course, if a church wants to deny a couple the right to marry, that's their own decision, but courthouses should not be able to make that choice.

Unless, of course, it is in the law.
Like in Australia.

Our Avenged Jules:
The reason homosexual marriage isn't allowed in Australia is because in 1961, the 'Marriage Act' was passed, and that stated only marriage between male and female were accepted.
So here, there is an actual law against homosexual marriages.
And as Australia doesn't have a 'Bill of Rights' per say, the establishment of set human rights was instigated in 1985, which is fairly recent, considering.
In these rights, Australians have 'the right to marry a person of choice and protection of families' - as long as it doesn't go against the Marriage Act.
In a sense, it's quite the contradiction too.
(We were discussing this in my Legal Studies class today.)
However, my teacher - who, might I add, is pro-homosexual marriage - stated that the right of marriage is only to protect those forced into arranged marriages.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 27th, 2007 at 06:44pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
I don't really believe in gay 'marriage' as such... why not just be satisfied with a civil union or similar?

A) Marriage and civil unions aren't the same. They don't offer the same rights.
B) Some gay people are religious and want to be married in a church [like me].
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 27th, 2007 at 09:44pm
druscilla_way:

Why should gay be a synonym for homosexual? Gay originally means happy, but do to slang, the meaning of gay can mean three different things: happy, homosexual, and stupid. It is not saying that homosexuals are stupid.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
February 27th, 2007 at 11:04pm
I belive with my entire heart gays should be able to marry. Some people say that if we alow gay marriges, pretty soon insestues marriges will be legal. And then human/animal.

Well...
1) Gay marriges are no different than straight ones in the meaning of love. Plus there are less divorces with gay marriges than straigh. Plus...Am i the only person who doesn't understand why insestuous marriges are bad? I never understood it. It may be weird, but why is it illegal?

2) About the human/animal thing...For all who think gay marriges will lead to beastiality, give me a number of people who had sex with an animal.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 28th, 2007 at 02:28am
Fer Suuure Jenni:
druscilla_way:

Why should gay be a synonym for homosexual? Gay originally means happy, but do to slang, the meaning of gay can mean three different things: happy, homosexual, and stupid. It is not saying that homosexuals are stupid.

Originally, true, gay did mean 'happy', but it's become a recognized definition that gay now means 'homosexual'. There's nothing offensive about associating the two together, unless there are some very happy homophobics out there who want their adjective back.

But 'gay' already means 'homosexual', so associating it with 'bad' pretty much degrades an entire group of people (I mean, there are plenty of gay people out there who have no problem with it, but it technically does). Also, the slang of calling something bad 'gay' didn't come from the definition of 'gay' being 'happy', it came from the definition of 'gay' being 'homosexual'. That's also not to say that people who use 'gay' in that way are in any way against homosexual people, but originally, no one was thinking "what's a word to describe how lame this is? It's so lame it's....happy! Yes! This is gay!"

jedicam10:
Plus...Am i the only person who doesn't understand why insestuous marriges are bad? I never understood it. It may be weird, but why is it illegal?

To answer your question (as far as I know, at least), the basic idea of banning incestuous marriages is because inbreeding can lead to genetic defects (though defects would really only show up if things were kept 'in the family' for several generations). Plus, you know, ew.

Also, incestuous attraction doesn't work the same as homosexual attraction (as you apparently know; I'm just clarifying). People who are homosexual are only attracted to people of the same gender. People who are attracted to their sister could be attracted to other women, but just have a specific preference for their one sister. Personally, if two siblings can be attracted to each other, well, good for them. But denying them the right to marry is no where near the same as denying homosexual people the right to marry.