Don't have an account? Create one!

Bass

AuthorMessage
Synyster
Salute You in Your Grave
Synyster
April 21st, 2007 at 11:19pm
I kinda play the bass, I can't fingerpick though, I'm so used to holding a pick XP
madame angst
Salute You in Your Grave
madame angst
April 22nd, 2007 at 04:58pm
I've wanted to play bass ever since I heard "Juicebox" by The Strokes...but I never seem to get on track with it.
For example, I told my dad about it, but we never really went through with it.
-__-;;

What's a nice, cheap bass to start learning on?
sass attack.
Demolition Lover
sass attack.
April 22nd, 2007 at 09:58pm
Melodramatic.:
I've wanted to play bass ever since I heard "Juicebox" by The Strokes...but I never seem to get on track with it.
For example, I told my dad about it, but we never really went through with it.
-__-;;

What's a nice, cheap bass to start learning on?

A Fender Squire, perhaps ?
I started off just messing around on my brother's guitar.

When you do get playing, the intro to Juicebox is this:

G|--------------------------|
D|--------------------------|
A|--------------1-0---------|
E|---0-0--3-0--------3-0----|

Peroxide
Killjoy
Peroxide
April 22nd, 2007 at 10:31pm
A really cheap one in Australia is anything Ashton or Ibenez. Their only $400 here. Their suprisingly good sounding too. Nice tone. Dunno if that helps anyone.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
April 23rd, 2007 at 02:50pm
My first was a shine, it was £99 and is great for starters.
water cooler romance
Jazz Hands
water cooler romance
April 23rd, 2007 at 03:07pm
I've played bass about two years now and I still suck. Dance I can't read notes yet so it's difficult to figure out how I have to play some song I've never played before. Happily I learn fast... I can play only in school (I have music 5 or more hours a week). I'd really like to play in band but I don't know anyone who has the same taste of music than I have (except my friend who likes Fall Out Boy and MCR but she can't play any instrument). Rolling Eyes

As you can see my English sucks also.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
April 23rd, 2007 at 03:44pm
wannabesmart:
I've played bass about two years now and I still suck. Dance I can't read notes yet so it's difficult to figure out how I have to play some song I've never played before. Happily I learn fast... I can play only in school (I have music 5 or more hours a week). I'd really like to play in band but I don't know anyone who has the same taste of music than I have (except my friend who likes Fall Out Boy and MCR but she can't play any instrument). Rolling Eyes

I have the same problem with the band thingy.

So when I'm old enough I'm put an advert in the local music shop xD
Peroxide
Killjoy
Peroxide
April 23rd, 2007 at 11:19pm
Baka-kun XNinjaX:
wannabesmart:

I have the same problem with the band thingy.

So when I'm old enough I'm put an advert in the local music shop xD
Me toooo. I'm currently in a band that was formed at school. But that's more punk rocky stuff based on Blink, the strokes etc. I'm gonna put up ad's once I get out of school.
girltarist
Killjoy
girltarist
April 24th, 2007 at 02:55am
i started playing bass when i was in the summer of 10th grade.... i've just finished my 2nd year at college! soo... i guess.... 4 1/2 years? my first bass was a pre-owned bb404 yamaha bass. Then i played in my christian youth organization, and in the school bands....

the original bassist for the school bands decided to go on a mission trip a month before our christmas concert... so... in the span of 14 days, i learned 18 songs for all 4 bands.... AND i'm a pretty wicked sight-reader. Cool

last year (july12, 2006)... it got stolen at work! .... two days later, my boss bought me a new bass - it's big brother, the bb505 yamaha bass.... i think it's a bb505.... whatever... basically... it's a black 5-string bass.

i've played countless worships with those basses. (i'm in a christian band.) AND i played twice for youth rallies at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto!

...i guess, i'm a bassist. hahaha.
wilson.
Shotgun Sinner
wilson.
April 24th, 2007 at 07:15pm
I've played for two years, and got good quite fast since I had been playing guitar for around five and a half years when I got the bass.
I play a Squier P-Bass.
Nothing fancy.
water cooler romance
Jazz Hands
water cooler romance
April 25th, 2007 at 11:40am
Some random thaigroup is coming to Finland and I have to play one Finnish song. I'm glad the song is easy and I know how to play... Really, how can I be so ridiculous? Laughing Today I had music in school and I played again - it was quite fast and difficult song (especially the chorus). I learned it and then the teacher said that we have to learn it again with different notes.. Damn. Disgust

Do you usually play with plectrum?
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
April 25th, 2007 at 01:48pm
wannabesmart:
Some random thaigroup is coming to Finland and I have to play one Finnish song. I'm glad the song is easy and I know how to play... Really, how can I be so ridiculous? Laughing Today I had music in school and I played again - it was quite fast and difficult song (especially the chorus). I learned it and then the teacher said that we have to learn it again with different notes.. Damn. Disgust

Do you usually play with plectrum?

Usually, no, I find it really hard, I end up lucking the wrong string. Amd for playing fast, I find my fingers are easier to go go faster.
water cooler romance
Jazz Hands
water cooler romance
April 25th, 2007 at 03:15pm
Baka-kun XNinjaX:
Usually, no, I find it really hard, I end up lucking the wrong string. Amd for playing fast, I find my fingers are easier to go go faster.

I totally agree with you... Especially when I need to play fast I find it impossible. But without the plectrum my fingers get hurt if I played too hard and too long (sometimes I have to play like 3 hours a day and believe it or not - after that my fingers are almost dead). On the other hand I feel completely stupid without it.
Funky Crime
Bleeding on the Floor
Funky Crime
April 27th, 2007 at 12:27am
I don't actually know how to play bass, but I do have one. It was originally for my sister, but I got her an acoustic guitar for Christmas instead of the bass. It's a five string Fender, I do believe, and even though it's missing the 5th string, I'm still able to play the bass in Otherside by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
arthur pendragon.
Crash Queen
arthur pendragon.
April 27th, 2007 at 04:16pm
I haven't been playing bass for that long but I have been playing guitar for 7 years, so It's not totally new to me, i can read music and stuffs.
I play a Jet Black fender
and I used this pink thing, and it's a pile of shite, thats why I bought my fender on Wednesday
He needs a name...=S
SheaLeone;KJ
Motor Baby
SheaLeone;KJ
April 27th, 2007 at 06:25pm
Eddie Cocaine.:
Fireplug.:
What's a walking bass line?
>.<

Wikipedia:

In music, a walking bass is a bass accompaniment generally consisting of unsyncopated notes of equal value, usually quarter notes ( known in jazz as a "four feel" ). Walking bass lines are used in rock, blues, rock-a-billy, ska, R&B, gospel, latin, country, and many other genres (Friedland 1995, p.4).

here's an example of one my music teacher taught me:

G|------0-2-33-2-0--------------|
D|---2-------------2------------|
A|-3----------------------------|
E|------------------------------| { x2 }

G|---2-5-7-88-7-5-2-------------|
D|-3----------------------------|
A|------------------------------|
E|------------------------------| { x1 }

G|------0-2-33-2-0--------------|
D|---2-------------2------------|
A|-3----------------------------|
E|------------------------------| { x2 }

G|-0-4-7-10-------|---2-5-8--------|
D|----------------|-3--------------|
A|----------------|----------------|
E|----------------|----------------| { x1 }

G|-----------0---5--------|
D|------2------------3~---|
A|-3----------------------|
E|------------------------| { x1 }

You let the last note ring out (:

EDIT: i found where it should go. LOL
Heart Shaped Glasses
Joining The Black Parade
Heart Shaped Glasses
April 28th, 2007 at 02:18pm
Is $500 a good price for a Peavey bass? I recently put a down payment on one.
LOVE?
Fabulous Killjoy
LOVE?
April 28th, 2007 at 06:34pm
i play bass but im learning!
andrea w.
Awake and Unafraid
andrea w.
April 29th, 2007 at 01:20am
I just started playing bass a week or so ago, but i'm loving it so far. i can simi-play a couple rifts, but other then that, i just know the basics. I can't wait 'till i'm able to play some good stuffs.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 3rd, 2007 at 01:24pm
does anybody know where i can buy a cheap bass
but one that is good?