Don't have an account? Create one!

Bass

AuthorMessage
Cait.
Always Born a Crime
Cait.
July 31st, 2007 at 07:25pm
I'm starting bass guitar lessons soon but I'm fiddling about with my bass at the moment just to give me a head start. I've never played an instrument like bass before, I play mostly percussion, so I don't really know what I'm in for yet. Does anyone have any useful tips and if you could, give me some easy tabs to learn for a beginner.
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
August 3rd, 2007 at 03:22am
Question: I've been learning the guitar for only about a month now. I've been spendnig a lot of time with it...

My friend's are making up a band, and need a basist...and I'm kind've wanting to be in it. So to the point...

Do you guys think it's easy to pick up the bass from playing the guitar...later on? (I'm still a novice, but in a few months or so...when I start becoming a bit better... I've been thinking of picking up a bass)

I was just wondering what everyone else here thought.

(I love being able to play songs atm, which is very varied because I'm not really good at chords yet. Once I get into the Guitar... I'd still like an instrument to play with a larger group of friends. (guitarring with a friend or two is loads of fun.... but throwing a lot of guitars in at once is just messy for garagebands)
collateral damage.
Awake and Unafraid
collateral damage.
August 3rd, 2007 at 03:25am
LifeOnStandby:
Question: I've been learning the guitar for only about a month now. I've been spendnig a lot of time with it...

My friend's are making up a band, and need a basist...and I'm kind've wanting to be in it. So to the point...

Do you guys think it's easy to pick up the bass from playing the guitar...later on? (I'm still a novice, but in a few months or so...when I start becoming a bit better... I've been thinking of picking up a bass)

I was just wondering what everyone else here thought.

(I love being able to play songs atm, which is very varied because I'm not really good at chords yet. Once I get into the Guitar... I'd still like an instrument to play with a larger group of friends. (guitarring with a friend or two is loads of fun.... but throwing a lot of guitars in at once is just messy for garagebands)

I started out with guitar. I've been playing for like, two years.
I had to be in a band, and I wanted to try bass, so I did. And I loved it.
It's very easy, you just need to learn the frets because they are differen't than the guitar.
And when you play, you're hand in hand with the dummer, so don't listen to the guitars (:
Need to know.
Salute You in Your Grave
Need to know.
August 7th, 2007 at 10:44pm

I got a bass! xD It's a Yamaha rbx170.
C . L . I . C . K .
I changed the background in the last 3 because they looked dull.

I was gonna name it Oi then Mali then Longa and now Abu.
I've only had it for a few weeks but I have definitely improved. =]
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 7th, 2007 at 10:58pm
joe rogan:
I'm starting bass guitar lessons soon but I'm fiddling about with my bass at the moment just to give me a head start. I've never played an instrument like bass before, I play mostly percussion, so I don't really know what I'm in for yet. Does anyone have any useful tips and if you could, give me some easy tabs to learn for a beginner.

The best advice anyone ever gave me for bass was to vary your technique as much as possible and to learn to play with and without a pick.There are purists who say to do just one or the other but both are useful skills to have.
Daysxfade
Motor Baby
Daysxfade
August 14th, 2007 at 05:03am
Dimestore Saint;;:
joe rogan:

The best advice anyone ever gave me for bass was to vary your technique as much as possible and to learn to play with and without a pick.There are purists who say to do just one or the other but both are useful skills to have.

I agree,I think both ways are equally as good as the other they each have their advantages and disadvatages but its definately a good idea to learn both that way you can vary the way you play and what you play plus in my opinion a great bass player can play both with and without a pick not just with one or the other...
Blood.
Killjoy
Blood.
August 14th, 2007 at 12:40pm
I'm a Bassist...
I've learnt every MCR song, A few of The Used's songs, a few odds and ends of other songs...
Its quite easy actually.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 14th, 2007 at 09:58pm
ive been trying to play bass for like a few months and i dont seem to be getting any better at it ... Sad
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 19th, 2007 at 01:04am
i play bass uh.. i have 3 bass guitars.
fender and ibenez
TheAngeloftheDevil
Killjoy
TheAngeloftheDevil
August 20th, 2007 at 09:05pm
hi, uhm I want to buy bass but I don't know which one is the best for beginners so can someone help me? and second question is about the best amplifier for bass...
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 20th, 2007 at 10:58pm
TheAngeloftheDevil:
hi, uhm I want to buy bass but I don't know which one is the best for beginners so can someone help me? and second question is about the best amplifier for bass...

As a beginner, don't splash.
Go cheap.
You never know what will happen.
i.e lack of interest. Trst me, I got a bass a year ago, was syced, but after 4 months, I thought. 'Shit, I hate bass'
I only play it because my mum spent so much on it.

Anyway, the cheapest you'll get is around £100. Mine was that much, and it plays great for a beginner.
As for an amp, they are expensive for bass simply because they have to have more frequncy than a guitar amp.
NEVER play bass through a guitar amp.
But anyways, go for a marshall amp, mine was £75 second hand (By a week) And is much better than a cheap one.
Evil_Alice
Motor Baby
Evil_Alice
August 22nd, 2007 at 02:00pm
Hey bass players, I got a question for you. A friend of mine thinks it'll be dead easy for me to learn bass cause I've been playing the cello since I was nine.

Any opinions on this *coughcough* highly important matter???
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 22nd, 2007 at 10:53pm
Evil_Alice:
Hey bass players, I got a question for you. A friend of mine thinks it'll be dead easy for me to learn bass cause I've been playing the cello since I was nine.

Any opinions on this *coughcough* highly important matter???
yeah i believe it will be easier for you learn to play bass because a cello, bass fiddle etc are similar to a bass guitar.

TheAngeloftheDevil
Killjoy
TheAngeloftheDevil
August 23rd, 2007 at 02:51pm
Thanks Simple and Clean ^^
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 23rd, 2007 at 07:38pm
TheAngeloftheDevil:

You could try to find a cheap beginner kit or a used Fender. At the risk of sounding like an advertiser, I've played a few different basses and Fenders are my favorite, plus they sell beginner kits and cheaper basses for folks who are just starting out or don't have much money.

Don't take anyone's word for it though, head to a Guitar Center or other music shop and try out a couple different basses. What works for one person doesn't always work for another, plus you can usually find decent used equipment at music stores.

PlethoraOfSickness
Killjoy
PlethoraOfSickness
August 25th, 2007 at 07:23am
My advice is ALWAYS TRY IT OUT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!!

I went on eBay for my first one, what a baaaadd idea.. I loved it and thought it looked baddass (it had a zebra print and looked like a P-Bass), but the electronics were allll wrong, so much had to be done to it when I just wanted a cool looking instrument..
Then I went to Guitar Center, tried out different ones from different price ranges, and fell in loooooveeee Smile and Dimestore is right, just because Mikey plays a P-or J-Bass doesnt mean it's the best for you too, there are tons of different scale sizes, finishes and other things to consider.

Good luck!
xxLockxx
Jazz Hands
xxLockxx
August 28th, 2007 at 12:59am
Simple and Clean:
TheAngeloftheDevil:

As a beginner, don't splash.
Go cheap.
You never know what will happen.
i.e lack of interest. Trst me, I got a bass a year ago, was syced, but after 4 months, I thought. 'Shit, I hate bass'
I only play it because my mum spent so much on it.

Anyway, the cheapest you'll get is around £100. Mine was that much, and it plays great for a beginner.
As for an amp, they are expensive for bass simply because they have to have more frequncy than a guitar amp.
NEVER play bass through a guitar amp.
But anyways, go for a marshall amp, mine was £75 second hand (By a week) And is much better than a cheap one.

When I started playing bass, I got a starter pack thing. A small 10 wat amp, bass, bag, strap, picks. £200.
Just make sure you get it from a reliable shop other wise you'll get any old thing.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 28th, 2007 at 09:27am
^10 wats?
woah, the guy in the shop told me never to play a bass through anything less than a 50.
xxLockxx
Jazz Hands
xxLockxx
September 2nd, 2007 at 07:15pm
Simple and Clean:
^10 wats?
woah, the guy in the shop told me never to play a bass through anything less than a 50.

The guy in the sh0p must be a idi0t then I'm guessing.
They l0udest amp I can get is 30wat because I live in the middle 0f shitville.
my chemical romance.
Banned
my chemical romance.
September 7th, 2007 at 06:39pm
I want to try bass again sometime.
My friend taught me some of the bass-line for California Uber Alles by Dead Kennedys.
But that was a while ago.