Don't have an account? Create one!

Underage drinking

AuthorMessage
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
May 31st, 2007 at 04:38pm
What's puzzling is how in America, for instance, you can do almost everything at 18 yet you can't drink. It's weird, right?

Some people have said that if you let the kids drink, you're able to teach them to be responsible about it. I don't know if that's true, as I've never done that, but it could be logical.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 2nd, 2007 at 08:50pm
xMari_Malicex:
What's puzzling is how in America, for instance, you can do almost everything at 18 yet you can't drink. It's weird, right?

Some people have said that if you let the kids drink, you're able to teach them to be responsible about it. I don't know if that's true, as I've never done that, but it could be logical.

that is wierd, the 18 thing. but if you let a kid drink how does that teach him responsiblity, to clean up your own puke? not o play with your toys while your drunk cause you'll break them?
Stare-x
Bleeding on the Floor
Stare-x
June 2nd, 2007 at 11:01pm
i think the 18 thing is because most drink driving accidents are caused by P-platers
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
June 2nd, 2007 at 11:10pm
savedbymcr_2004:
xMari_Malicex:

that is wierd, the 18 thing. but if you let a kid drink how does that teach him responsiblity, to clean up your own puke? not o play with your toys while your drunk cause you'll break them?

If you introduce a kid with alcohol, he'll know more about it and be more responsible.
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
Killjoy
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
June 3rd, 2007 at 01:45am
My parents allow me to taste any alcoholic beverage in the house. I actually discovered most of them are quite unpleasant, and therefore will avoid them when I can legally have them.

Underage drinking will always happen, no matter how tight restrictions are. There's always one irresponsible parent who will leave the liquor cabinet unlocked, etc. In some circumstances, like mine, where after the age of fifteen I was awarded quite a bit of freedom, it's a good idea to let a kid try alcohol. If they don't like it, then they'll be less likely to go overboard when they can have it legally. Or at least that's how it worked for me and my sisters.
FrancyPansy
Killjoy
FrancyPansy
June 3rd, 2007 at 03:02pm
Underage drinking is quite common in Austria/Germany/Switzerland. Actually you are allowed to drink beer and wine at the age of 16 and spirits at the age of 18 but since nobody checks on that, kids nowadays do whatever they want to do. Lately there are soo many reports of 12 year old who drank till they dropped! The questions is: Where are their parents? What are they doing?

Sometimes when I go out I also drink a few cocktails but that's not a big deal. Therefore I think it would be a good idea raising the age where you can drink alcohol to 21 instead of 16 and 18 cuz nobody cares about that. We were able to buy alcohol at the age of 14 and nobody asked for our IDs...
Thnks fr th vnm
Demolition Lover
Thnks fr th vnm
June 3rd, 2007 at 04:57pm
Cover Me In Gasoline:
A recent report stated that 1 in 7 people ages 11-16 drink alchol on regualar occasions. (at least once a week.)

What do you think about underage drinking?
What do you think is the cause for so many teens to do so?
What do you think the goverment should do to reduce the amount of people drinking alchol?
How do you think so many people have suddenly been able to pay, or get hold of the alchol?

DIscuss.
I'm pretty bias on this. I drink, but not on a regualr occasion. Just if it's a celebration like a friend's birthday, or even something as lame as a long weekend/school break.
So many teens do it because they know they're not supposed to, I guess. It makes some people feel 'cool', Some do it for the same reasons as myself; to celebrate.
To reduce the amount of people drinking alcohol the government could try to enforce prohibition (not that it'd work.)
A lot of teenagers have siblings/cousins/friends/people they work with that are of legal age to buy it. Here, the legal age to purchace liquor is 19. There are a lot of 19 year olds still in high school that are friends with them and it makes it eaier for underage people to get it for them. A lot of parents also don't see a problem with underage drinking so they'll supply it for their kids.

I understand that the more a person under the age of 16 drinks, (I think it is) the more likely they'll be prone to an addiction to it when they're older.
Helena and Hearts
Jazz Hands
Helena and Hearts
June 4th, 2007 at 12:11am
deperession and heartbreak that's why they drink but when they stop they always end up to go back. um... i think most people get acohol from fake id's and parents, bad, bad parents. personaly i dont like the fact that people drink because they are depressed.....go exersise or something!
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
June 4th, 2007 at 03:11am
emo.princess:
deperession and heartbreak that's why they drink but when they stop they always end up to go back. um... i think most people get acohol from fake id's and parents, bad, bad parents. personaly i dont like the fact that people drink because they are depressed.....go exersise or something!

Rolling Eyes

Will people please read a book or something?

That doesn't work for everybody!!!!!
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
June 4th, 2007 at 02:45pm
savedbymcr_2004:

Because the theory is that if you can teach the kid what is reasonable and what's out of control drinking, they'll be more likely to take those lessons with them when they're out on their own.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 4th, 2007 at 03:40pm
^My friend's dad says the drinking age should be lowered to 14, so that kids would get totally thrashed, puke everywhere, and decide never to drink again, all before they know how to drive a car.
I'm not sure how well that would work out, though...

But I do think the drinking age should be lowered to 18, and hopefully parents would be teaching responsible drinking before then in the home. My parents would allow me to have a glass of wine every once in a while at dinner at this age if I wanted it, as they did my sister. And my brother has been allowed to have a beer or two when family's over since he was sixteen or seventeen. We've always been taught about moderation, never ever driving drunk, etc, and my brother and sister have both turned out into responsible drinkers.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
June 4th, 2007 at 03:48pm
14 is incredibly ridiculous to me. The reason there is even a legal age limit also has to do with the fact that a kid's body isn't made to tolerate a huge amount of alcohol.
18 is a little more leniant in my books.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
June 4th, 2007 at 07:56pm
xMari_Malicex:
14 is incredibly ridiculous to me. The reason there is even a legal age limit also has to do with the fact that a kid's body isn't made to tolerate a huge amount of alcohol.
18 is a little more leniant in my books.

May I point out that nobody's body, no matter what their age may be was made to ingest ANY amount of alcohol.
hardcore_princess
Killjoy
hardcore_princess
June 5th, 2007 at 09:31am
it´s fact that the number of drinking teenager decrease.
but the number of teenager drinking extremly [ a lot,hard stuff, regular] grows.
the number of kids between 11 and 15 taken to hospital because of alcohol grows up to 125%.
it´s alarming!!!
sailor spaikae!
Always Born a Crime
sailor spaikae!
June 5th, 2007 at 11:51am
I suppose it depends on two main factors, the parents/guardians and the person in question.
If the young person in question is mature and drinks in moderation with parental supervision, it may help educate them.
However, immature children hanging on street corners, drinking excessively, is never a good thing and probably will lead to problems in later life.
I do believe that an responsible adult should always purchase the alcohol and then distribute it according to their own common sense and conscience.
The only problem is, maturity and responsibilty don't always follow age.
But that's just my two cents.
Mike Dirnt
Salute You in Your Grave
Mike Dirnt
June 5th, 2007 at 12:51pm
I sometimes drink a bottle of beer or have a few glasses of wine or something at a friends house sometimes.

Why? For fun, amusment. It means we have something to do.

We don't let our parents know because we know they'd flip out.
Sometimes my mom will let me have a sip of her wine.

It doesn't even taste nice. It's sour and bitter. I don't really like it to be honest. But sometimes I just want something to do.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
June 5th, 2007 at 01:14pm
S713:

May I point out that nobody's body, no matter what their age may be was made to ingest ANY amount of alcohol.

Oh, absolutely. I agree. But obviously different factors will aide in how your body reacts.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
June 5th, 2007 at 01:17pm
Yeah, I don't think that's a good reason to do it. That's like people who eat when they're bored, and then before they know it, they're 500 pounds. It all has concequences in the long run.

I absolutely hate the taste and smell of alcohol, hence why I don't get near it much.
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
June 5th, 2007 at 01:38pm
I use to be straight edge until I started going to this rock club with my friends, my friend wanted vodka so I got it for her and she mixed it with fanta. She told me to live a little and try some so I did and I couldn’t taste the vodka so I drank more. I started to drink every week too. But then one night I drunk about a liter [a dangerous amount never drink that much] of vodka and ended up throwing up in the toilet before passing out on the floor. I then somehow found myself back in the club again and I didn't even know who my best friend was, when she was trying to talk to me. I then went with some guy to the shops and ended passing out on a hill near the club. Seriously its up to you guys when you want to drink, but they do put an age rang on it for a reason. I learnt that and when I look back on it I can't believe how stupid I was and how much of a burden I was to my friends. Its not worth it, you might as well wait till you come of age.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
June 5th, 2007 at 02:27pm
Even then, drinking too much is never going to make you feel good afterwords.

My friend got alcohol poisoning about 3 weeks ago, but luckily survived.