Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 20th, 2007 at 12:11am
Grilling is what creates the carcinogens, with the exception of caesin, which is a milk protein.

I actually know a bunch of vegans who avoid soy and opt for gluten-based protein and rice, hemp, almond milk because of those studies about soy.

What.The.Frank.:
I'm a pesaterian, fish is the only meat I'll eat. Veganism seems too strict for me, and slightly unhealthy. No dairy, eggs, etc just seems like there isn't much left in the food pyramid!

That's because you're thinking about it based in the simple idea of food groups. You don't necessarily need things from every food group--dairy, for instance, can be ruled out entirely if you get enough calcium from vegetable sources. Beans and legumes fit into the meat/proteins category of the food pyramid. So really the only simple food group you're ruling out is dairy products.

Firefly.
Salute You in Your Grave
Firefly.
October 22nd, 2007 at 08:11pm
That's true, I never thought about ^ that before.
six feet underx
Killjoy
six feet underx
October 22nd, 2007 at 08:27pm
I personally think all vegans are amazing. I'm not one myself, nor am I a vegetarian. I tried once, but then my mom made tacos... But anyways.

I think PETA is completely ridiculous. But that's just my own view on the subject. I dislike people who try and convince others to be vegan or vegetarian, or vice versa. It's your own life and you'll do what you want to do.

The whole thing with KFC, (I know this is pretty off topic... unless someone has already mentioned it.) is so stupid. KFC, does not beat their chickens to death. It just doesn't happen. That story was blown way out of proportion. What really happened was, some of the employees of KFC decided it would be funny to beat chickens to death. I guess they video taped it, though I've never seen the video. They pretty much had no emotional attachments towards chickens, considering they kill them for a living. But anyways, the KFC corporation found out about it and those select few employees were fired. KFC chickens are killed in a humane way. They aren't beaten to death.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 22nd, 2007 at 10:55pm
I think factory farms in general are demonized. No, they arn't family farms. There isn't as much space, but the killing is often very humane, and if it's not, the farm gets shut down. All of the videos taken from PETA are examples of factoy Farms that have gotten in trouble with the humane society. FF's have very strict animal welfare requirments to meet. I know a man that works in the meat industry, and he told me as pr cows, if the cow moos while it's about to be killed, they won't kill it, because it's in distress. Many family farms don't even so that, and that farm sells to McDonalds....

I think if animal rights activists REALLY want to get something done, they should aid the farms and buy up more space for the animals to roam, and better care for the animals..not stop eating meat and complain about the farms...
Lifeisbutadream1993
Killjoy
Lifeisbutadream1993
October 22nd, 2007 at 11:27pm
I'm a vegetarian because I don't think it's right to eat animals, but if other people do that's fine. It's hard sometimes though, because when people find out they have something to say about it, like "What's the point in being a vegetarian, they're still going to kill animals." And then I'm always getting teased by friends and even my family. They'll say "Hey, wanna get a donair? Oh, wait, you can't!"

I'm not preachy about it, because meat does taste good, but I've chosen that I want to do this.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 23rd, 2007 at 11:25am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
I think factory farms in general are demonized. No, they arn't family farms. There isn't as much space, but the killing is often very humane, and if it's not, the farm gets shut down. All of the videos taken from PETA are examples of factoy Farms that have gotten in trouble with the humane society. FF's have very strict animal welfare requirments to meet. I know a man that works in the meat industry, and he told me as pr cows, if the cow moos while it's about to be killed, they won't kill it, because it's in distress. Many family farms don't even so that, and that farm sells to McDonalds....

I think if animal rights activists REALLY want to get something done, they should aid the farms and buy up more space for the animals to roam, and better care for the animals..not stop eating meat and complain about the farms...

My my, you are a prime example of how gullible people can be when it comes to the meat industry.

Yes, they have "welfare requirements" but a lot [if not all] of the farms only adhere to them on the bare minimum basis. For example: the RSPCA [I live in Australia] might say that the minimum a stall has to be to fit a pig in it is 1.5 metres, or something. So they make the cage 1.5 metres. But that doesn't mean that the pig is comfortable. It just means that it barely fits in there.

Feed lots, piggerys, battery hen farms etc. are not humane, and in our globalising world, farms such as these will continue to expand and grow, and there will be more and more of them.

Have you ever personally been to one of these farms of which you speak? I have, so I can tell you from experience that the cattle are kept in appalling conditions, and they are treated horribly before being sent off to the slaughter. I went with a few of my mates who volunteer with the RSPCA, because I wanted to see what the fuss was all about with these farms.

I can't believe there are actually people out there like you who think that the meat industry and farms like these are "demonized". They are horrible, and if I don't want to eat meat, then I shouldn't be told by people like you that tell us to stop being vegetarian/vegan and stop complaining about the meat industry. People that are ignorant on this issue need to be educated on where most of their meat actually comes from, and how it gets onto their plate.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 23rd, 2007 at 01:59pm
Do note that I never mentioned space as being a more positive issue. As of now, I think that animal living space (mostly for pigs and chickens that is) really isn't being taken into concideration. Rather, I meant more the kill and the actual animal treatment was demonized. I don't like the idea of factory farming, but I don't think they are terrible either.
American cattle are actually, from what I have experienced, usually kept very well. I don't think I have seen the same treatment with other livestock, but more cows are being given graze time and space then they have in the past.

I don't concider myself ignorant at all. Im not ignoring the problems of factory farms, but im not acting like they are hell onm earth like ARAs want me to believe, because they are not. I could address every farm issue I wanted to as per what I DON'T agree with, but im not arguing for that right now, because clearly other people have already got that covere. I honestly do believe that if more people put money into them for the welfare of animals, they would mirror a larger family farm one day, but no one seems to care about animals threre, not even vegans..or this would have probabkly already happened.

However, ARA pride stops these people from actually contributing,..Tragic.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 24th, 2007 at 01:30am
It's unfortunate that people won't put more money into the welfare of the animals on farms, mainly because the people who run these factory farms are only interested in it as far as gaining capital goes. They don't give a fuck about the animals. They see the animals as being units of production, not living creatures.

And feed lots for cattle are just as bad as piggerys or battery hen farms. Instead of grazing in a paddock they are shoved into a large space with lots of other cows, and they get pumped full of antibiotics that are not even meant to be consumed by animals other than humans.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 24th, 2007 at 03:21am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
Do note that I never mentioned space as being a more positive issue. As of now, I think that animal living space (mostly for pigs and chickens that is) really isn't being taken into concideration. Rather, I meant more the kill and the actual animal treatment was demonized. I don't like the idea of factory farming, but I don't think they are terrible either.
American cattle are actually, from what I have experienced, usually kept very well. I don't think I have seen the same treatment with other livestock, but more cows are being given graze time and space then they have in the past.

I don't concider myself ignorant at all. Im not ignoring the problems of factory farms, but im not acting like they are hell onm earth like ARAs want me to believe, because they are not. I could address every farm issue I wanted to as per what I DON'T agree with, but im not arguing for that right now, because clearly other people have already got that covere. I honestly do believe that if more people put money into them for the welfare of animals, they would mirror a larger family farm one day, but no one seems to care about animals threre, not even vegans..or this would have probabkly already happened.

However, ARA pride stops these people from actually contributing,..Tragic.

I seem to remember from my PETA days literature about more humane methods of slaughter and living conditions.

xXHaHaXx
Killjoy
xXHaHaXx
October 24th, 2007 at 06:35pm
I don't have a problem with vegans or vegitarians, it just annoys me when they try to convert you over. I wouldn't want to be one myself but I totally respect that some other people might want to. It's your choice and you shouldn't be made fun of because of it but don't try and get other people to change too unless they want to.
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
October 25th, 2007 at 06:45pm
I'm vegetarian, I don't neccessarily mind omnivores, though carnivores bug me.

I have no problem with eating meat, if all the animal is used. Say, something farm raised, and every single part of it is used for something other than dog chews. When people would raise their own food, nothing went to waist, even organs were used. Now, we use the skin of some animals, select choices of meat from others, and the rest goes to waste rotting somewhere.

I think meat is meant to be eaten, but only when it's not a waste of life. If things were to miraculously become better, I would gladly go back to eating meat, if I could get over the fact that my tastes have changed to naturally dislike the taste of animal flesh.
Chapstique
Jazz Hands
Chapstique
October 27th, 2007 at 07:49am
i am vegetarian and have been since i was 11
before that i never really liked to eat meat, especially if it was on a bone or something....
it bugs me when people say 'oh i could never live without meat' and im just like well...i have for years lol...and then they try to convert me back.
i dont think i will ever turn to be non vegetarian...i am just so used to it and i love it
Very Happy

but i think vegan goes a bit too far...
like eggs are fine if they're free range cos chickens lay eggs everyday.
and milk it good cos the cows need to be milked and if they dont they will get sick.
But i dont eat gelatine or anything...some people think im crazy for giving up lollies and marshmallows
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 27th, 2007 at 01:45pm
I think you don't need to be vegan id you have free range eggs and such.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 27th, 2007 at 04:24pm
Badcock! in my pants:
i am vegetarian and have been since i was 11
before that i never really liked to eat meat, especially if it was on a bone or something....
it bugs me when people say 'oh i could never live without meat' and im just like well...i have for years lol...and then they try to convert me back.
i dont think i will ever turn to be non vegetarian...i am just so used to it and i love it
Very Happy

but i think vegan goes a bit too far...
like eggs are fine if they're free range cos chickens lay eggs everyday.
and milk it good cos the cows need to be milked and if they dont they will get sick.
But i dont eat gelatine or anything...some people think im crazy for giving up lollies and marshmallows

Cows are just like any other mammal: they need to me milked as long as their calf is nursing. Can you think of any other animal that keeps producing milk even after their child has grown up?

DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 28th, 2007 at 12:26am
PlushToy:
It's unfortunate that people won't put more money into the welfare of the animals on farms, mainly because the people who run these factory farms are only interested in it as far as gaining capital goes. They don't give a fuck about the animals. They see the animals as being units of production, not living creatures.

And feed lots for cattle are just as bad as piggerys or battery hen farms. Instead of grazing in a paddock they are shoved into a large space with lots of other cows, and they get pumped full of antibiotics that are not even meant to be consumed by animals other than humans.

Apparently not all feedlots. At least not the ones in Illinois or their surrounding areas. I actually know some people who have said they were veg until they moved here, where treatment of animals was much better.

and at least in the US, restrictions on farms and their punnishments are far more dramatic. The state of things is changing every day as we speak.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 28th, 2007 at 05:13am
I respect your point of view on the fact that things are "changing" [for the good, were you implying?]. But I would say, in my opinion, that it's actually getting worse. I see factory farms as taking over the smaller, free range farms, purely and simply because of the economic benefits. From a business point of view, factory farms save money, mainly because of all the short cuts they take, i.e over crowding, under feeding, irregular cleaning of the cages etc. And it is actually worse in America than it is in Australia, there was a documentary on it here sometime ago [on SBS].

But I'm not saying it's a good thing. I think it's horrible. I am vehemently against any form of animal abuse, including these horrid farms.
Morrigan
Killjoy
Morrigan
October 28th, 2007 at 06:48am
I am not a vegetarian, I will eat steak raw!

My only problem with vegans is when they (and by they I don't mean all just the "moraly superior" ones) get condescending not everyone supports these feedlot farms
I know the guy who raises the cows we eat and the other farmer who runs the dairy It's just fruserating being told I'm an evil person for supporting people I know
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 28th, 2007 at 10:12pm
PlushToy:
I respect your point of view on the fact that things are "changing" [for the good, were you implying?]. But I would say, in my opinion, that it's actually getting worse. I see factory farms as taking over the smaller, free range farms, purely and simply because of the economic benefits. From a business point of view, factory farms save money, mainly because of all the short cuts they take, i.e over crowding, under feeding, irregular cleaning of the cages etc. And it is actually worse in America than it is in Australia, there was a documentary on it here sometime ago [on SBS].

But I'm not saying it's a good thing. I think it's horrible. I am vehemently against any form of animal abuse, including these horrid farms.

AIEEEE! I agree 100%. I meant things are changing about the farms themselves. If I had it my way, family farms would rule overall, but corperate America (or any developing country) has little regard for them. I dislike factory farms as a whole, not only for the lesser conditions, but for being the downfall of the family farm. What I appreciate about those living farms is the relationship that farmers have with NOT ONLY their animals, but their crops as well. A farmer..a REAL farmer, has what seems to me as a spiritual connection with what he raises and grows. They are thankful for what they have and use everything they can without waste. I have known farmers to be some of the most humble, amazing people on earth, and going up to my mom's hometown every year, it really breaks my heart to see more of them being forced off of their land and dumped away regardless of how good to the community they have been.

&& eating raw food usually isn't good for you..er..my brother does it...but it's basically proven that any diet, be it raw meat, or a raw veg diet is VERY bad...
eh..
Lay off the raw steak..haha
dreamerforever
Salute You in Your Grave
dreamerforever
October 29th, 2007 at 12:21am
i've heard about a lot more in my speech class when a group of my classmates talked about veganism.
Stop!
Bleeding on the Floor
Stop!
October 29th, 2007 at 08:51am
this might be a silly question, i don't know but if someone is a vegetarian or a vegan, if they have animals then what do they feed them because don't they need meet to be healthy?