Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
June 8th, 2008 at 04:01am
Saint Helena:

Next time you go to eat meat, STOP and think, you are only supporting the murder of innocent animals. GO VEGETARIAN!

When I eat meat, I don't see it as murder. yes, I know an animal was killed, I know that it isn't always done in the most humane way possible, but I don't see it as murder.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 8th, 2008 at 07:50am
Going back to the baby thing, I was brought up as a vegetarian, until I was 8, when i was given the choice of what I wanted to eat, and I'm physically very healthy. I know it wasn't a vegan lifestyle, but when I was a baby, it basically was. I didn't eat eggs, cheese etc., but I was breast fed. Women are designed to have breasts in order to be able to feed their children, and therefore not to, I find slightly peculiar. I also think that if you fed a baby 'normal' adult food, then they would also suffer.
LiveAndLetDie
Killjoy
LiveAndLetDie
June 8th, 2008 at 08:24am
A cat has claws to catch and kill prey.
A shark has huge teeth to catch and kill prey.

Humans have always had to make things to catch and kill prey. It's not natural for us to be eating other animals; if it was do you not think we'd have been born with claws or huge teeth?

It's a social influence that says we should eat me. It's a non-conformist idea not to. I think it has very little to do with the science of it. It's alot mroe about what percieve is right and wrong. And that comes from what we've been taught.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 8th, 2008 at 08:53am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
im going to save myself a lot of copy and pasting

google something like "vegan baby death"

you get A LOT of news reports coming up. i'v read quite a few in the paper too...and of course there are some sorties you can look up like "vegan baby neglect" where the child was saved before it was too late.

Please stop with the sensationalism; that is all I have seen from you here. You are just as blind as those journalists - selectively blind, I'd say. All you have done is attack vegans and that is totally unfair. And hey, I say this as a vegan who has not attacked omnis once since becoming vegan 2 1/2 years ago. I have disagreed with the practices of those who produce those food items and clothing items, but I think it is immature and completely rude to attack someone either as a group or an individual based on their lifestyle choice - period. You can add me to your list of vegans that don't try to convert people, and believe me, I am TOTALLY with you on that as a side note, because it gets really old.

I hate reading and seeing a bunch of little veggies waving their arms and chanting MEAT IS MURDER, GO VEG LOLOL...you guys are repeating an opinion fed to you by whatever media group made you veg, and if it wasn't a media group, it was by someone who was influenced by a media group...PETA or whomever else. It's a lot better and more mature to present your opinions and beliefs and the information founding them in a mature way rather than filling your post with caps and exclamation points and stupid little catchphrases. It just makes you look like, oh, I don't know, A TOTAL NUT.

And since people tend to REALLY stereotype veggies (see above quote), I'd appreciate it if you'd stop making ME look like a nut, because I assure you, I am probably the single most sane vegan you will ever know.

Also - the mantra you keep sharing with us about plants and electrodes, etc. etc. is super interesting, and this probably sounds totally silly to you so don't laugh or snarl at me, but it saddens me deeply. I went vegan ultimately out of compassion and I always had the nagging question in the back of my mind about the plants, because while they do not have the nervous system of animals, but until this point (apparently) we could never know anything beyond that. Now, that's not to say I believe all of this - I was a total skeptic before going vegan; I waaay over analyzed my choices - because I'd like to see other examples of this experiment and other variations. And perhaps some medical and scientific agreement. Even a bit.

All of that interest and whatnot aside, it's extremely hard to see the logic in anything you've said mainly because you have been shooting nothing but negativity our way, every post. If you'd like us to look at that (which you do since you have repeated it here over and over), try being NICE and MATURE, since that is the way you want veggies to be towards you when you eat meat and dairy and everything. I think you totally have the right to. I do not give myself the power to make you choose a lifestyle; that is a terrible way to exist. But I also tire of people shoving THEIR OMNI OPINIONS down my throat and then, when I retaliate, being told that I am just another stupid vegan trying to convert them. Or that I will die, or that I am unhealthy, or whatever. No, you didn't say a lot of those things but calling people out based on a few freaking headlines is absolutely ridiculous, much like me looking at recent Daily Mail headlines, seeing your avatar, and calling you a suicidal emo and telling you to get help before you harm any other teenagers.

OOOOKAY. Long post. I want you all to know I consider you all friends even if my veganism gets you super worked up and angry, and I hope you will try to see my point of view, although unfortunately it is hard because so few seem to share it.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 8th, 2008 at 09:03am
While I am here, I want to rip those parents a new one. YOU KILLED YOUR GODDAMN CHILD. They didn't even admit to themselves that it was their fault, did they? I don't recall. Those headlines made me boil; that situation made me sick to my stomach. It would from a vegan or an omni, whatever. it is a case of simple freaking stupidity. EVERYONE KNOWS NOT TO GIVE SOYMILK TO AN INFANT. OR RICE MILK, OR DAIRY MILK, OR GOAT MILK, OR TIGER MILK.

A baby's system is not yet set up to digest those enzymes! We are all born wthout that ability - most people wait until the system is strong enough to be introduced and eventually be able to handle those things (well, most people just know when it's okay; they don't actually figure it out alone). But you know, of course these idiots didn't think about that. They did it from birth, and that's why the poor little thing died.

Look, I am all for breastfeeding and I think it is the only way to go (you know me though, I won't pressure you or anything haha), but if you absolutely won't do it, THERE ARE FORMULAS. granted, none of them are vegan. But there are soy formulas, rice, diary, you name it. You do NOT NEED SOYMILK. Look, you're going to have to breastfeed. There is no vegan formula anywhere. I hope those parents never have another child, even though I think they went to prison.

Honestly, I have no idea how it turned out because I was too angered by it to keep up with it. I am extremely upset now.

And I want to let you know that most vegans are not that stupid - at least from what I know about my vegan friends with children. And from people I have spoken to.

Please don't let that story give you an impression of vegan parents.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
June 8th, 2008 at 12:00pm
By the way, I did a little reading up on vegan children, turns out -gasp- most are pretty healthy.

I don't think it's wrong for vegans to raise their kids as vegans until they're old enough to make their own decisions the same way I don't think it's wrong for omni parents to raise their kids as omnis until they're old enough to make their own decisions. As far as I'm concerned, a six year old doesn't have much freedom of choice in what they eat whether they're vegan or omni. I know I didn't--my mom might give me a choice between an apple or a granola bar for a snack, but when it came down to it, what I ate was my parents' decision. They were good about figuring out what foods I'd like and making those a little more often, but for the most part, if I didn't like it I could go hungry. And as far as I know, lots of (most?) parents give their kids multivitamins, again, vegan or not, because kids are such picky eaters.

I've seen omnis earlier in this thread (or maybe the old one, I know this isn't the first veg*n thread) say that they wouldn't allow their kids to choose to be vegetarian or vegan until they were old enough to look after their own nutrition, and gave their reasoning as being that they didn't want to be bothered cooking two meals instead of one, and reading up on the nutritional needs of vegans, when they could be sure their kids were healthy on an omni diet. I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, that would be part of my reasoning for raising vegan kids. When they were old enough, they could make their own decision and I'd love them just the same, but until then, veganism is all I know for food, and I know that it's perfectly healthy for all age groups, if you're intelligent enough to do just a little research.

At the risk of making this post novel-length:
Being a Vegan Kid (Written by a vegan seventh grader who's been vegan her whole life. She seems happy and smart.)
Real Vegan Children
Isa Chandra Moskowitz on the soy milk/apple juice baby starvation. Lots of cute vegan kids in the comments.

edit: also found this interesting. Shutting up now.

LiveAndLetDie
Killjoy
LiveAndLetDie
June 8th, 2008 at 03:01pm
Paolo Nutini:

I hate reading and seeing a bunch of little veggies waving their arms and chanting MEAT IS MURDER, GO VEG LOLOL...you guys are repeating an opinion fed to you by whatever media group made you veg, and if it wasn't a media group, it was by someone who was influenced by a media group...PETA or whomever else. It's a lot better and more mature to present your opinions and beliefs and the information founding them in a mature way rather than filling your post with caps and exclamation points and stupid little catchphrases. It just makes you look like, oh, I don't know, A TOTAL NUT.

*raises eyebrow*

As far as I know I have been reasoning my agrguments with more than just "Meat Is Murder LOL"
I was never 'fed' any media nonsence. I made my decision when I was 7 years old. No-one in my family is a vegetarian, I have no veggie friends. This was a choice of my own. Because I think that killing other animals for our own pleasure is wrong; the same way killing animals for their skin is wrong.

But the fact that I am a vegetarian and not a vegan is very debatable I know. Which is why I've been trying to be careful of my arguments when I debate my reasoning for becoming a vegetarian.
Eggs, milk, cheese etc.. Comes from animals, alot of the time those animals are kept in horrible conditions. Alot of the time it's debateable as to how much is natural for us to take from the animals.

So yeah. I don't think I am one of the influenced, catchphrased veggies; so I do no appriciate being stereotyped as one!
And I also propose the question, If you're a vegetarian why are you not a vegan?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 8th, 2008 at 10:43pm
I wasn't referring to you per se. I am sure you know exactly what I am talking about. A friend of ours in here was going on about going veg earlier and I lashed out at her, but later changed my mind and mentioned that I appreciate her passion - but that is not the same thing as what I was just complaining about there.

I wasn't stereotyping all veggies. Definitely not. I believe I said I didn't like being stereotyped as a nut, so I definitely wouldn't go on to say all veggies are nuts, would I? I said that the ones who only chant that mantra are the ones who make themselves LOOK like nuts. Didn't even say they were actually nuts. If they are, it is probably from some outside factor. I didn't expect most people to get me on that one, though.
Be Brave Tonight
Killjoy
Be Brave Tonight
June 9th, 2008 at 10:24am
You are. Have you seen milking machines? It's rarely done by hand anymore. Even by hand hurts! Imagine breastfeeding a baby versus having your tit yanked on repeatedly. Heh. But then imagine having a steel machine (not the nice soft human breast pumps, nowhere near that comfy) yank on your tit for you. OUCH?! MAJOR OUCH?!?!!

And cows only produce milk when pregnant or just having given birth...just like every single mammal. O.o
[/quote]

Thank you for correcting me...
but...
i have done some research and it turns out you can get organic milk which is only milked by hand pretty good idea dont you think?
Be Brave Tonight
Killjoy
Be Brave Tonight
June 9th, 2008 at 10:32am
Saint Helena:
To tell the truth it really annoys me when people say that eating meat is just part of the food chain and that eating meat gives you nutrients. I don't think thats worth the murder of innocent animals. People only eat meat because it tastes good and they let that get in the way of animals being killed. Animals have feelings just like humans. It's about time theis world changes for the better. This world needs piece, not murder for happiness.

Next time you go to eat meat, STOP and think, you are only supporting the murder of innocent animals. GO VEGETARIAN!

One Thing i do want to say is that I'm vegetarian...
...but i don't think that preaching is the way to change peoples minds...
...it just winds them up,
if people want to eat meat let them, your much more likely to change someones mind by going to party's and round their house and refusing to eat meat,
that way it doesn't seem to them like your preaching and they might think about going vegetarian themselves.

optionally start a band, get really big then let everyone know your vegetarian
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 9th, 2008 at 10:32am
Sir spamalot II:

but...
i have done some research and it turns out you can get organic milk which is only milked by hand pretty good idea dont you think?

^Yes, you can get organic milk with is milked by hand. And yes, it is a good idea. But these days a lot of these commercial farms that supply a lot of milk think in terms of capital - what is the least money-consuming way? If they have a machine that does it, it cuts down time spent milking the cows, and they also don't have to employ more people to milk the cows.

However, I am not condoning this method of milking. I am merely stating what goes on. In theory, it would be good if all cows were milked by hand (or even better, that the milk is supplied to the calf in a natural fashion].
Be Brave Tonight
Killjoy
Be Brave Tonight
June 9th, 2008 at 10:42am
The Problem with us not drinking (or eating in the case of cheese and yoghurts) milk is that we need it for protein, in my opinion as long as no harm is done when milking i dont see at as problem but i think that as soon as the mother has given birth they should stop milking it because as far as i know milk doesnt take that long to make but i could be wrong, ill do some research.
Another thing cows should be impregnated naturally by a male bull

Edit: I've done some research and a cow, eating milk can make up to 50 glasses of milk A DAY but the cow would probably have to be pumped with hormones, i couldn't find information for cows that haven't been pumped with hormones though, wonder why?
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
June 9th, 2008 at 02:07pm
I decided to become a vegetarian about a year ago now, after a chat with my auntie who has been a veggie for 21 years and also from my own research into what our packaged meat really contains and how animals are brought to the slaughter. I would consider becoming a vegan, but maybe a few more years down the line.

However I strongly doubt I would bring my children up as vegans or vegetarians. I was brought up with the enforced premises as a child to make and mould my own opinions in life and just not to follow or take things for blank fact, but except guidance but to also be inquisitive. Of course I would cook my children vegetarian / vegan meals from time to time, but I wouldn't deny them meat. I would explain to them when they came of age why I don't eat certain things and if they show an interest I would encourage it and if they didn't I wouldn't be offended.

Bringing up children is a right of passage for most people and I really wouldn’t judge people for bringing up they’re children as vegans or vegetarians, as long as the child was happy and healthy. I doubt any parents would knowingly put their child at risk.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 9th, 2008 at 04:41pm
Sir spamalot II:

but...

Sure, but I was under the impression that organic milk actually meant that the cows were fed an organic diet and not pumped full of meds. Organic is not cruelty free in all cases; it generally means that the product has no added medications or pesticides. Are you sure? Is this a common practice, a large and well-known brand?
Be Brave Tonight
Killjoy
Be Brave Tonight
June 10th, 2008 at 03:22am
Waitrose do it for a start
but your right apart from that your right it is hard to get and often expensive
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
June 10th, 2008 at 09:00am
I tried to go Veg once and it didn't work out that well, I just like meat too much. I may try again in college when I have more control over what I eat.

I think people who do it have really strong will power when they first get started, but I have a really hard time giving it up.
Be Brave Tonight
Killjoy
Be Brave Tonight
June 10th, 2008 at 10:22am
It depends how much you believe in what you are doing if your just doing it because you feel like a change it'll never get anywhere a good thing to do before you make any lifestyle changes is get other people view points
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 10th, 2008 at 05:44pm
Sir spamalot II:
Waitrose do it for a start
but your right apart from that your right it is hard to get and often expensive

...Yeah, I have never heard of that brand.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 10th, 2008 at 08:57pm
Paolo Nutini:

...Yeah, I have never heard of that brand.

Waitrose is a supermarket chain in the UK, and it is quite well known.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 10th, 2008 at 11:24pm
Okay, so we have a chain of supermarkets that has hand-milked cows. I suppose we are taking a step in the (partially) right direction.