Don't have an account? Create one!

Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 13th, 2008 at 12:54am
can i also point out, that smokers are very discriminated against. at least here in australia. im not a smoker, but they really are very discriminated against.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 13th, 2008 at 01:58am
^Would you mind pointing out how?
I also live in Australia, and I don't see how they are blatantly discriminated against.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 13th, 2008 at 02:24am
i know a lot of places still allow smoking, and most people dont want them to smoke because of passive smoking.
but you dont seem to be able to smoke anywhere anymore. lots of places have banned smoking, and a lot of smokers are criticised.

people have protested in my area about how clubs, pubs and cafes should totally ban smoking, even if the people are sitting outside.
majoGW
Killjoy
majoGW
April 13th, 2008 at 03:31am
I think that is stupid.... people may have a place in the club to smoke....
I don't smoke and I hate smoke but a repect were people do it and if is a problem to me, I ask the peroson to stop.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 13th, 2008 at 06:37am
amyy.clandestine:
i know a lot of places still allow smoking, and most people dont want them to smoke because of passive smoking.
but you dont seem to be able to smoke anywhere anymore. lots of places have banned smoking, and a lot of smokers are criticised.

people have protested in my area about how clubs, pubs and cafes should totally ban smoking, even if the people are sitting outside.

I wouldn't call banning smoking in clubs and pubs etc. discrimination.
Let's face it; smoking is not exactly the most healthy habit.
The reason why places ban smoking is because it affects the health of the patrons who don't smoke. Places would lose customers, obviously who don't smoke. I mean, if I went to a bar and it was clouded in smoke because the manager allows indoor smoking, I wouldn't go back there again. And neither would a lot of people I dare say.

Banning smoking in places is just a way to regulate it.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 13th, 2008 at 06:47am
^ but either way, smokers seem to not be able to smoke anywhere. im kinda on the fence for it, but i do see your point.
but i still feel for smokers, as they pretty much cant smoke anywhere.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 13th, 2008 at 06:51am
Most places outside still allow smoking. Obviously they can smoke in their own home or property. There was talk a while back [here in Adelaide anyway] of banning smoking in the CBD, but that is never going to happen.
I don't feel sorry for smokers; if they are shitty that they can't find anywhere to smoke, then they should just take up another pointless habit.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 13th, 2008 at 07:33am
^ yer. obviously in their own homes. but i meant like, outside parts in cafes.
i dont like smoking either, but still. its not a pointless habbit to them even if it is to you or to me. its addictive and its something that might help them relax.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 16th, 2008 at 06:42am

Although I personally frown upon smoking I think that no matter how hard we try to outlaw it, there will still be addictions.
And I think it is just stupid to start, although I think that other factors influence the persons choice.
And people do not 'need' cigarettes. The only reason they do this is because they are addicted to the nicotine, if they hadn't of started then they wouldn't 'need' to smoke.

I am quite happy with New Zealands decision to ban smoking in pubs.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
April 16th, 2008 at 10:31am
Lovesick Melody.:

Although I personally frown upon smoking I think that no matter how hard we try to outlaw it, there will still be addictions.
And I think it is just stupid to start, although I think that other factors influence the persons choice.
And people do not 'need' cigarettes. The only reason they do this is because they are addicted to the nicotine, if they hadn't of started then they wouldn't 'need' to smoke.

I am quite happy with New Zealands decision to ban smoking in pubs.

That sounds very reasonable to me.

It isn't banned here, but, for me, I think there should be stricter laws about it, especially talking about public venues. Even though there are signs all over that it is restricted to smoke in that particular area, people still do it, and no authority comes to take care of it.

In my opinion, I think that smoking is pretty disadvantageous. There are cases of people getting addicted to the nicotine, and therefore being sent to rehabilitation centers, and also the problem of lung cancer that it can cause, not to mention it affects not only your respiratory system, but also other parts of your body, e.g. your appetite, your nervous system, etc. Not only does it affect the smoker, it also affects other people - second - hand smoking is more dangerous and deadly than first - hand smoking. In general, for me, I find smoking to have no positive effects on anyone.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
April 29th, 2008 at 09:51pm
"We gotta stop smokin *cough* I mean uh cigarette smokin, cause if I make love to you baby yeah know I wouldn't even have the breath." ~ Jimi Hendrix
asouldivided
Killjoy
asouldivided
May 1st, 2008 at 02:21pm
Okay, now I think it is safe to say that everyone knows how dangerous smoking is. But come on now, we are all going to die someday. Also everything to a certain extent is bad for you, I think that it is up to you to decide which bad habits are worth the risk. Personally, I think love is more dangerous then tobacco; also driving, walking into a convenience store, drinking, eating fatty foods, ....... and the list goes on an on. I choose to continue smoking! (and maybe avoid the convenience store to counteract the danger level)
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 1st, 2008 at 04:01pm
Dude all I can say is that I'd never smoke a cig, it grosses me out. Other than fitting in with a group whats there really to benifit? It smells gross and is doing yourself and the people around you harm. I mean there is "other" stuff you smoke where at least there seams to be a benifit. ~ Rex
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
May 1st, 2008 at 09:29pm
Okay.
I am a smoker, yeah yeah shock shock horror horror whatever. But I'd like to point a few things out first.
Some people, believe it or not, don't smoke to be cool. Yes, it is a stupid habit, I'll admit that and if I'm honest I wish I never started. Apart from the health thing, the smell is noticable (especially when you walk in a classroom and everyone know where you've just come from -i.e. he smokers den). And it eats up your money.

BUT.
Passive smoking. Okay, if I, or my friends, are standing next to someone who is a non smoker, regardless whether they care or not, I always make sure I am standing a little way away from them so they don't have to get smoke blown all over them or that they don't have to breathe it in.
Believe it or not, there is an etiquette to it.

Also, pretty much all the smokers I know are in favour of the smoking ban here in England. Yeah, it's nice to eat a meal and not have fag smoke hanging in the air, so please don't think anyone who smokes is like 'Aw man, now we can't look cool in a club.'

Which brings me to my other point. Starting smoking is not the cliche people think it is. Not every Little Susy went to a party, walked up to the popular kids and said 'Hey can I bum a smoke cause I like, totally do it all the time!'

I remember my first cigarette was when I was bored at home, parents and siblings were out and my dad had left a pack of cigarettes in the kitchen. I lit one up, smoked it and liked the lightheaded feeling I got so I did it again. And again and well you get the picture. I didn't even begin smoking in front of people for ages because I didn't like the thought of it.

Anyway, I'm not defending it, I am not saying it's good to do or justifying it because it's not, it's stupid and a major turn off for most people and I have NEVER asked anyone to try and cigarette if they haven't.

I'm giving you smoking from a smokers POV and clearing up somethings that I thought needed clearing up from reading some comments on this thread and so...yeah.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 1st, 2008 at 10:04pm
^ Good to know, I'm all for understanding all points of view
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
May 2nd, 2008 at 12:42pm
I live in New York and it is against the law to smoke in restaurants and bars. I think that is a very cool thing. Not that I have anything against smokers but when I am eating I don't want to smell the smoke.

Some restaurants do have smoking sections... but unless they are closed off then that really does no good because the smoke just spreads around the restaurant.

I would never smoke personally, but I have this weird thing in which I like the smell of cigarette smoke in small doses. Am I the only one?
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
May 2nd, 2008 at 12:51pm
^^ No, I've always liked it too. And I completely agree with the banning of it in resturants and bars. It's been almost year here in England and now the thought of going into a resaurant with lingering smoke all over your food seems abnormal.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
May 2nd, 2008 at 12:59pm
JadeTiger712:

I would never smoke personally, but I have this weird thing in which I like the smell of cigarette smoke in small doses. Am I the only one?

o yeh i like that too-but in small doese like you said. too much gives me a major headache
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
May 3rd, 2008 at 08:33am
Smoking is like a cancer stick. Smoking poisons your body, makes you sick and contributes a lot to your death. Both my parents smoke and it's absoloutley disgusting. I asked them to quit because I was concerned about their health but they laughed at me and said they'll be fine. Psh, whatever, they're dying and I hate it.
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
May 6th, 2008 at 05:44pm
I think smoking in a way is worse in countries like the UK where you can get health care for free.
People are dying or not leading as full of life as they could not because they smoke but because someone else had then have needed some sort of medical help for it and have used up what limited resources the NHS has.