Don't have an account? Create one!

Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
awaiting dawn
Killjoy
awaiting dawn
May 24th, 2009 at 03:52pm
It is definitley a cancer stick! And it releives stress. After I stopped doin drugs I started 2 smoke. Every time I thought about drugs I had 2 smoke. But now i've stopped smokin 2. SoBer + healthY! Mr. Green
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
May 27th, 2009 at 11:23pm
awaiting dawn:
It is definitley a cancer stick! And it releives stress. After I stopped doin drugs I started 2 smoke. Every time I thought about drugs I had 2 smoke. But now i've stopped smokin 2. SoBer + healthY! Mr. Green

congrats on that!! Very Happy

i personally hate smoking, i hate the idea of tobacco companies making people addicted to their product so that they can make a few bucks off of you. however, i don't ever blame the smoker, they can do what they want to their body.

The only time i have issues with smokers is when they try to get other people to smoke or smoke a lot around other people without asking permission, because that isn't just putting yourself in harm anymore, its putting someone else's body in harm too.
LyricSkye
Killjoy
LyricSkye
May 31st, 2009 at 08:53am
I hate ciggarettes. My Grampa died of lung cancer like five years ago because he used to smoke and now my mum's boy friend does. I can't stand the freaking smell. Everytime he has one I have to cover my mouth and nose with my shirt.

I think smoking is bad for you and shouldn't be supported.

But who should listen to me... Im only thirteen.
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
May 31st, 2009 at 11:59am
It's kinda like my anti-depressant.
But I only smoke once or twice a month.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 31st, 2009 at 05:20pm
Hi guys,
just a quick reminder that this thread isn't a confessions or a personal stories thread, it's discussing smoking cigarettes, the cigarette ban, the causes and effects etc.
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
October 8th, 2009 at 03:11am
Thread necromancer says HI! Smoking is a very give or take thing, I've smoked since i was 13 (nearly 14 lol) and yeah it's wreaked hell on my body and the girlfriend HATES!!! it which is bad lol. But yeah, going outside and escaping into a peaceful world of rings (which i pride myself on) and nature (i live in a very foresty kinda area xD) brigns me back to my senses. And yes, my parents (despite much debate) supply me, but under strict conditions (no more than 10 a day, not before school, not at school etc.)
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 8th, 2009 at 08:26am
The reason smoking relieves stress is because you are addicted to it, so whenever you are under any duress, you body can't make it through without its nicotine. Simple, plain as any other drug. Pride yourself on that one. Might be better to learn how to handle stress without needing something harmful to dose up on, maybe?

And everyone, if you don't have anything valuable to add to this debate, please do not post here. If the personal stories continue and are not accompanied by articulated opinions on the original topic's questions, I'll lock this thread.
Wandering_Soul
Jazz Hands
Wandering_Soul
October 8th, 2009 at 08:10pm
Its a cancer stick. Im a non-smoker and I care when people that I love do it. They are quickening their demise to cancer and it is really hard watching the people I love do that to themselves.

Smoking to relieve stress, says that you need a crutch. You became addicted to a drug, and now cannot function without it. It reaveals a weak character, and you should be able to talk to someone, or do something productive to work the stress out, not kill yourself over it.

As for the people who do smoke that I know, it is their decision and they can make it. I will voice my concern but it is up to them to quit. My only condition is that if they have to smoke, take it away from me. The carcinogens in second-hand smoke are much greater than the direct inhalation, and I don't want that shit in my body.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 8th, 2009 at 08:21pm
Wandering_Soul:

As for the people who do smoke that I know, it is their decision and they can make it. I will voice my concern but it is up to them to quit. My only condition is that if they have to smoke, take it away from me. The carcinogens in second-hand smoke are much greater than the direct inhalation, and I don't want that shit in my body.

I agree with this completely. As far as, for example, my father goes, I really do take it personally that he continues to smoke even 2 decades after his wife was killed by lung cancer. He continues to smoke even with another wife and 4 kids.

But I understand that it's a personal journey. I gain respect when one tries to quit, and I know that it isn't always easy. But for those who don't try, I really question their intellect. Or maybe not intellect. Maybe just their...self-awareness.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 12th, 2009 at 12:32am
^ Well some people just don't care. When I smoked, I was more then aware of all that I was putting in my body, having asthma I could feel the effects get worse everyday. It wasn't that I wasn't self-aware, for me it just made me feel good and I didn't care to lose that.

I really hate the stereotype of smokers. What I've always grown up with was an elite feeling towards smokers. Example my mom looks down on people alot, she'll say something like "oh so and so is a nice person, but the smoke *shakes head disapprovingly*". Granted my mom is like that with alot of things, but it defidently something that people think makes you a worse person and that your not so intelligent. not sure if that made sense or not
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
October 12th, 2009 at 03:13am
I started when I was 12 and now I'm 16 and have just quit. I don't think it's that people don't have self awareness but that it is a serious addiction, I've tried quitting many times and have failed because it is a sort of antidepressant or stress reliever, and many people go through this. If someone wants to smoke I think it's their choice and with all the campaigns around everyone knowsthe harm they do, they are fully aware ofwhat they are doing to their bodies. As ling as hey do not force it on others and do their best to not smoke around non smokers I am totally fine with them.
tathame
Killjoy
tathame
October 15th, 2009 at 08:36am
I only smoke socially which i disagree with myself but i guess its hard to stop after a while. I feel as though i should though. I haven't got a problem with other people smoking around me though ... as long as they don't puff in my face or ash on me. I get why people smoke although i would strongly urge them to stop
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 16th, 2009 at 08:04pm
My Dear Delirious:

I really hate the stereotype of smokers. What I've always grown up with was an elite feeling towards smokers. Example my mom looks down on people alot, she'll say something like "oh so and so is a nice person, but the smoke *shakes head disapprovingly*". Granted my mom is like that with alot of things, but it defidently something that people think makes you a worse person and that your not so intelligent. not sure if that made sense or not

Well, usually when someone would prefer a small high or a small bit of artificial calmness over their own health, the health of those around them, and the feelings they may hurt in the future, it's hard to assume they have a high intellect. And, just as I would propose that anyone harming their body with the knowledge of their actions is not very self-aware, or aware in general, I would say the same for smokers.

The knowledge is everywhere, all around us, can't miss it. Ignorance...not caring...it's all the same.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 16th, 2009 at 09:42pm
peter bishop:

Well, usually when someone would prefer a small high or a small bit of artificial calmness over their own health, the health of those around them, and the feelings they may hurt in the future, it's hard to assume they have a high intellect. And, just as I would propose that anyone harming their body with the knowledge of their actions is not very self-aware, or aware in general, I would say the same for smokers.

The knowledge is everywhere, all around us, can't miss it. Ignorance...not caring...it's all the same.

It is ignorance. I'm not gonna sit there and justify it, smokers know what they are doing to themselves.I don't agree with them going out and smoking with young kids around (that'sone reason why my asthma is so bad). But if someone is fully aware with them killing themselves yet they still want to do it, let them. Honestly it's just as bad as other things people do, overeating junk food, heavy drinking etc. People know what the risk for those are too.

I think it shouldbe outlawed to smoke in family freindly areas such as comassaries, Wal-Marts, grade school ec. but to do so in your own home and at like night clubs and in alleys shoud be fine
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 16th, 2009 at 09:47pm
sorry double post :/

But people who keep coming on here to make confessions and so on, this isn't the right place. Please only add opinions and something to add to the conversation. Thanks
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 17th, 2009 at 09:23pm
My Dear Delirious:
sorry double post :/

But people who keep coming on here to make confessions and so on, this isn't the right place. Please only add opinions and something to add to the conversation. Thanks
nobody in here has made a confessional post on here since Jenny said something the last time, that was unnecessary.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 18th, 2009 at 06:05am
nevergetmealive:
I've tried quitting many times and have failed because it is a sort of antidepressant or stress reliever, and many people go through this.

I disagree. It doesn't start to relieve stress unless you have at least had a pack of cigarettes. Your body craves the nicotine in the cigarette and if you go without your body goes into withdrawl, so that when you do get the nicotine it seems like a 'stress reliever.'

It's a problem that people create for themselves I believe, you don't crave until you've started - which can be entirely avoided.

(congrats on quitting btw ;D)
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 18th, 2009 at 09:26pm
My Dear Delirious:
I think it shouldbe outlawed to smoke in family freindly areas such as comassaries, Wal-Marts, grade school ec. but to do so in your own home and at like night clubs and in alleys shoud be fine
I don't think they should be able to smoke in nightclubs. In fact, over here in Australia I believe it's illegal to smoke in bars, clubs and pubs now (at least in my city).

I think the only place it should be legal to smoke is in your own home, on your property. Or on someone else's private property, with their permission of course.

I think smoking should be banned in all public enclosed spaces. Even outdoor restaurants.

The reason being is because second hand smoke can effect others.

(And before someone says, "But people can drink in public, why can't people smoke?" - it's actually illegal here to drink to the point of intoxication now in bars, clubs, restaurants, pubs etc. They can now kick you out if you're inebriated, and it's illegal to walk the streets drunk or drink alcohol in the street. I think smoking laws should be as tough as alcohol laws, tbh).
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 20th, 2009 at 06:33pm
Yeah, I can't justify exposing people in bars and nightclubs to a toxin when it's not allowed anywhere else. And really, it is pretty much outlawed everywhere.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
October 25th, 2009 at 08:43pm

As a smoker, I actually agree with the ban. In the UK, it's illegal to smoke in enclosed public space and now the thought of lighting up inside a restaurant while I'm or others are trying to eat is actually quite repulsive and inconsiderate. The way I see it is, I don't expect people to have a go at me for something that is my choice, just as I wouldn't expect them to let me force them to take part in second hand smoking.

In this day and age, we know about the dangers of smoking and how stupid it is so anyone that starts/continues are informed enough to make their own decision. Personally, it irritates me when people have a go at me for smoking if it's not affecting them. If you can't see it/smell it/taste it then let me get on with it, because I do make a conscious effort to keep it away from other people. I know it's bad for me and I say it's my 'choice' when really it's not because I am actually addicted but that's my own fault. I don't like the idea of smoking -aside from the fact that it's bad for you it's also incredably expensive and generally completely pointless.