Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
Little Miss Bad
Killjoy
Little Miss Bad
August 5th, 2007 at 11:51pm
i smoked for like 2 days
but now i really don't like it
my "friends" they smoke a lot i can't stand a minute near them cuz they stink like hell x]
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
August 6th, 2007 at 01:49am
I smoke. I've tried repeatedly to quit, but I just can't seem to go through with it. Now, I've quit taking drugs, quit drinking alcohol, no problems. But cigarettes? I never make it past 24 hours without a nicotine hit - and yes, I've tried patches, gum, knitting, everything that's ever been suggested. I just can't do it.
I've been smoking for nearly ten years now (since I was 12) and as far as my doctor can tell, I'm about as healthy as the next person. I just can't run long distances anymore, but even if I didn't smoke I probably wouldn't be able to because I don't play sport or do much physical activity anyway, and seeing as how I don't NEED to run long distances, I don't see why it's important. I'm alive, I'm breathing, I'm otherwise fine.

One thing pisses me off about being a smoker - I try to be as considerate as possible with my habit, and shy away from doing it in public places where others might be offended (with the exception, of course, of nightclubs etc before the smoking laws were brought in). I don't go around telling other people how to live their lives, but for some strange reason, perfect strangers feel they have every right to walk up to me and say things like, 'Smoking's such a filthy habit,' or 'You should quit, don't you know that smoking will kill you?'
OMG, really? Because, you know, I've been hiding under a rock for the last 20 years - I had no idea smoking caused things like emphysema, cancer, strokes, etc. Thanks for pointing that out to me!
Besides, I don't go around telling fat people that they shouldn't be eating that Big Mac, or skinny people that they need to eat a sandwich, or people who drink alcohol that they're making a fool of themselves and probably destroying their liver at the same time. So what gives other people the right to dictate to me what choices I should make? Each to their own - I know perfectly well the risk I'm taking, and I'm doing it anyway. It's not affecting anybody else, especially not these complete strangers (because it's never my friends or people I know telling me I'm slowly committing suicide, it's always just random-ass morons I've enver seen before in my life), so I hate that they think they have the right to try and force their opinion on me.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
August 6th, 2007 at 01:54am
Ah smoking.
What a tricky subject.
I think that it is none of the government's business to tell me where I can and can't smoke. Smoking is not illegal in the United States, and until it is I don't see why I can't smoke in a resaurant. I don't light up often, but when I do, I do try to do it away from other people, but like C&S has said, that doesn't stop other people from being incredibly rude and giving me their grandfather's life story.
I don't care.
And I don't tell people how to live their lives, who the hell gives them the right to tell me to live mine. It's my body and my choice, it's nobody's business.
Cheesy Poofs
Killjoy
Cheesy Poofs
August 6th, 2007 at 12:35pm
Well... i don't smoke, but i do think it will be good at relieving stress. i have been curious to try a ciggie. Twisted Evil
RREGRET
Fabulous Killjoy
RREGRET
August 7th, 2007 at 03:36pm
I smoked for a while.
But it made me feel really dizzy and stuff, so I stopped.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
August 7th, 2007 at 04:05pm
Smoking seems like it's no big deal once you're doing it. That's how it is for me anyway, I thought it would be all tabboo and dark, but that's pretty stupid.

It's everyone's choice to smoke, and people going on at us about health risks is pretty stupid. We KNOW, okay? We get its bad. Whenever you buy the damn things, you get a huge sign saying 'Smokers die young' or whatever right there, on the pack.

It's just relaxing. Fun. Social (when others are joining in)

I smoke and I think it's a good thing that it's banned in public places, my choice shouldn't impact on your health.
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
Joining The Black Parade
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
August 7th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Smoking is not good thing. In my state they're proposing a 156% tax increase on ciggs. I think tis good. It makes you smell terrible, screws up your body, and sucks your money away.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
August 8th, 2007 at 06:05pm
jocee;Spam Queen:
Ah smoking.
I think that it is none of the government's business to tell me where I can and can't smoke. Smoking is not illegal in the United States, and until it is I don't see why I can't smoke in a resaurant.

Well, I have nothing against it, personally (although I don't smoke) but to answer your question, I support the smoking ban on restaurants because my husband is asthmatic and it severly limits our ability to dine out. Even when we sit in the "no smoking" sections, he has trouble breathing, coughs constantly and eventually has to leave to take medication. It can get very serious sometimes, if it's heavy smoking. He can wind up in the hospital and there is a possibility of him dying from respiratory failure.

Now that it's banned in public places we can actually go out and enjoy places we've never been able to go to before. We can go to bars and pubs and clubs. I also feel that the ban helps because smoking, while a free choice, is unhealthy and should not be done around children who do not have a choice. Therefore, the ban helps maintain healthy public places for me and my family.

That being said, I support anyone's right to smoke.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
August 8th, 2007 at 06:20pm
In Britain there's a smoking ban.
The tax on cigarettes is insane. £2.69 for 10 Marlboros??
I know what smoking can do to a person. It's on every packet of cigarettes and almost every magazine that I buy.
But I'll be damned if I give up because any Government says I should. I'll quit when I want to.

Smoking is a taboo subject simply because years ago, it was acceptable but now that people know what it does to their body, they tell you it's completely wrong.
"There are over 4000 toxins and poisons in cigarettes, etc etc." ..... Have these people ever stopped to think what else is doing damage to their precious perfect bodies?

Smoking can relieve stress, it can be sociable, it can be fun. It can also be addictive and dangerous to your health. But what isn't these days?

Who are you to tell me to stop smoking? I'm not telling you to put that cake down, or stop eating meat, or not go out for a drink after work twice a week.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
August 9th, 2007 at 06:36pm
Severus Snape:
Smoking can relieve stress, it can be sociable, it can be fun. It can also be addictive and dangerous to your health. But what isn't these days? Who are you to tell me to stop smoking? I'm not telling you to put that cake down, or stop eating meat, or not go out for a drink after work twice a week.

Well, I think there is a huge difference between inhaling carcinogens directly into your lungs and eating fish or chicken. There are no toxins or harmful effects of eating white meat, or, god forbid, cake. Cake never caused cancer. Cake never resulted in a tracheotomy. Fish has actually been shown to improve your body and increase brain power. It makes your skin healthy and your hair shiny.

Red meat and alcolhol do fall into unhealthy categories, so that part of your argument is fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling anyone to stop smoking, I'm just pointing out that the ingredients in cigarettes are vastly different than those of a slice of cake and I have never seen evidence of eating white meat or cake to be dangerous or addictive.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
August 9th, 2007 at 08:36pm
Beeblebrox:
Well, I think there is a huge difference between inhaling carcinogens directly into your lungs and eating fish or chicken. There are no toxins or harmful effects of eating white meat, or, god forbid, cake. Cake never caused cancer. Cake never resulted in a tracheotomy. Fish has actually been shown to improve your body and increase brain power. It makes your skin healthy and your hair shiny.

Red meat and alcolhol do fall into unhealthy categories, so that part of your argument is fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling anyone to stop smoking, I'm just pointing out that the ingredients in cigarettes are vastly different than those of a slice of cake and I have never seen evidence of eating white meat or cake to be dangerous or addictive.

No, but what I'm saying about the cake and meat part isn't about the health values or what damage it can do to you, but about the lifestyle you live.
I don't tell people how to live their lives, so they shouldn't really be telling me how to live mine.
Just because I smoke and someone else doesn't, it doesn't make either one of us more right than the other, because it's all about our personal choices at the end of the day isn't it?
Carrie White
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Carrie White
August 9th, 2007 at 09:33pm
i dont have i problem with people who smoke. i personally wouldnt do it cause cancer runs in my family and i dont want it in another spot. i think that people should know more of what smoking does to you, and people are still trying to do it, but its still not changing a lot of people's minds. smoking is addictive and its really hard to stop, i've seen my dad try and go back to hundreds of times and its really hard to accept it. i saddens me to see people who are addicted and they know what it will do and they still cant stop
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
August 9th, 2007 at 09:57pm
i'm against smoking, someone once said something very wise to me:

"think of all the fantastic times and good memories you'll have in your lifetime, each ciggarete takes once of those precious moments away"

x.x.x
<3
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
August 9th, 2007 at 10:19pm
Severus Snape:
But what I'm saying about the cake and meat part isn't about the health values or what damage it can do to you, but about the lifestyle you live.
I don't tell people how to live their lives, so they shouldn't really be telling me how to live mine. Just because I smoke and someone else doesn't, it doesn't make either one of us more right than the other, because it's all about our personal choices at the end of the day isn't it?

Ahh. Ok, I understand you now. Agreed.
Necrosis Candy
Killjoy
Necrosis Candy
August 10th, 2007 at 12:44am
smoking's pretty tempting. It looks really sophisticated and stuff, but I have allergies and asthma so I'd rather pick up a bad habit that doesn't further limit my breathing, you know?
Andrew Morrison.
Jazz Hands
Andrew Morrison.
August 11th, 2007 at 01:08am
I have smoked ciggarettes 2 or 3 times and personally I will never do it again. My friends smoke and it really 'buggs' me.
I have got nothing against smokers though. Its there desision what they do.
pormorisha
Killjoy
pormorisha
August 11th, 2007 at 04:45am
gawd i used to smoke last year i quit its awfull.....Never start
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 11th, 2007 at 10:35pm
Smocking never really appealed to me - i thought about it for a while, but i couldn't afford it - it's an expensive habit to keep for a 14 year old who only gets £20 a month!
Future-Mrs-Way
Killjoy
Future-Mrs-Way
August 15th, 2007 at 07:34pm
What do you think about Smoking cigarettes??

smoking cigarettes for me is a way of relieving my stress...however a lot of people start smoking for the peer-pressure of it [wanting to look cool] i admit i started out like that...i think a lot of people, nearly all addicted smokers strted out like that...
I think the rise in the smoking age is rediculous...i am very angry...
However the idiots that start smoking at the age of 9 or whatever are silly...but then again thats the peer pressure thing again....
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 16th, 2007 at 07:52am
im against smoking
why?
cause its one of the main reasons why people have cancer.
It weakens your lungs.
You have a hard time breathing.
If you dont quit smoking soon you eventually lose your voice.(but thats if your a long time smoker)
Its hard to break the addiction.

think of smoking as "Cancer of a stick"
does that sound pleasent not really
My dad has been smoking since he went to college and im truley sad that he still carries on smoking since my little sister was born asthmetic he's smoked less then usual. another sad thing about this is that he too has asthma but he smokes cause of stree, and heavy depression.So thats why i go every night and give him a hug and try my best to stop him from smoking what ever solution i can find for him.
remmemeber this smoking is never the answer you will regret every moment while you smoke