Don't have an account? Create one!

Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
The?!Society
Fabulous Killjoy
The?!Society
May 6th, 2008 at 07:08pm
Smoking is horrible, for your physical body and your mental state. It causes serious addiction problems and lung cancer, which makes me wonder why it's not illegal like drugs, because really, there are the same. I'm not discriminating.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
May 6th, 2008 at 08:08pm
herbonestructure15:
Smoking is horrible, for your physical body and your mental state. It causes serious addiction problems and lung cancer, which makes me wonder why it's not illegal like drugs, because really, there are the same. I'm not discriminating.

Lots of people in the government also smoke, and therefore would be denying themselves of their addiction.
Plus all schools properly teach about the effects of smoking. Not all schools properly teach about illegal drugs.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 7th, 2008 at 04:16am
herbonestructure15:

That's not entirely true. Although I don't condone smoking tabacco, it is silly to say that tabacco is "the same as drugs", as in illegal drugs. Drugs, including alcohol, alters your state of mind. Hence why people who are on drugs or have been drinking are referred to as being 'under the influence'; they are being controlled by the drug. This doesn't happen with cigarettes, although people can obviously become addicted to them. Smoking can be just as harmful as drinking too much alcohol, and alcohol is not going to be outlawed anytime soon. The same with fast food.
Demolition Lover 85
Killjoy
Demolition Lover 85
May 8th, 2008 at 12:22pm
My dad has been smoking for over 24 years and we have tried to get him to stop. His dad died of cancer, but he continues to do it. I ended up with asthemia because of his smoking. I have friends and other family who do it nad they all say they do it because of stress. There has to be a better way. I have tons of stress but I have never once inmy life smoked. All it's doing is killing them! My mom and I had this talk last night how much daddy smokes and he is doing nothing but killing himself. Crying or Very sad I wish they would just stop making those damn things!
Leo
Awake and Unafraid
Leo
May 8th, 2008 at 04:17pm
I smoke. It just calms me down. Takes the stress away.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 8th, 2008 at 08:44pm
I'm never going to smoke. My grandmother died of lung cancer, and I really just..don't even want to get into it

That's why I really, really hope someday Gerard and Frank quit, because I don't ever want to see Gerard as a real cancer patient.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
May 9th, 2008 at 09:38pm
I don't mind if people smoke, it is a personal choice, if they want to do something that could be potentially harmful it's their choice, but it isn't for everyone. I think that if you smoke you should be more considerate about people around you, especially little kids. I hate seeing a parent walking with their child while smoking. You choose to smoke but the child doesn't and second hand smoke can be just as bad.
lacey;;
Always Born a Crime
lacey;;
May 10th, 2008 at 08:39am

i agree, XangelXofXunknownX that the people who smoke has their own choice whether or not they will stop. It's up to them, and sometimes smoking can't be stopped so easily. Just that, they have to keep in mind that the kids should not see things like that. It will be a potential thing to let them try it. As a grown-up, we have to set good examples too. Also, be more considerate on health if ever they are already taking so much risk in smoking. For those who do, please take care.
theghostofyou123
Killjoy
theghostofyou123
May 10th, 2008 at 10:20am
People who smoke are making their own choice to do so, but personally, I believe smoking is bad. It harms your health, both long-term and short-term. Also, it could harm the people around you from second- hand smoke. It could produce complications in pregnancies, causes lung cancer, mouth cancer, heart problems, and other serious problems.
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
May 10th, 2008 at 03:22pm

My dad died when he was only 28 from a stroke and smoking was one of the direct causes. If that isn't enough, I've seen many people in my town walking around smoking with whooping coughs, not even caring that they're destroying their health.

I believe it's your own personal decision if you want to smoke or not, but that doesn't mean I condone it.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 11th, 2008 at 08:27am
It is bad for you, and it's not something I plan on trying, but i have a lot of friends who smoke, and it's completely their decision; i'm never gonna try and stop them from doing it, if that's what they want.
wrong
Awake and Unafraid
wrong
May 13th, 2008 at 06:03pm
I smoke. I don´t even know why. It is drug, I know, but it helps me when I´m nervous. And, honestly, i like it.
And about that cancer thing - everybody die sometimes. I may also fall dowstairs and break my neck, so...
freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
May 14th, 2008 at 04:35pm
I personally think, if you wanna smoke. Smoke, and if you dont; dont lol.
And dont go on and on about quitting if you were a past smoker because that is one thing that really bugs me. Its hypocritical lol.
I smoke, but even i think its a gross habbit.
But i only do it so i dont do other things, and cause i get bored really easily haha. But nah, i wouldnt reccomend it.
It smells, its exspensive and my god you've heard about and seen all the health risks. Should quit really lol.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
May 14th, 2008 at 04:40pm
To me, it whatever you choose. There is more than enough media out there for people to make an informed decision about smoking, so they can do it if they want and not do it if they dont want to.
freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
May 14th, 2008 at 08:49pm
It really makes me laugh though, i know alcohol bottles say 'Drink responsibley'.
But, it doesnt say the other risks. Ironic really XD
pxieVAMPIREdust
Bleeding on the Floor
pxieVAMPIREdust
May 15th, 2008 at 10:42pm
i think that i won't smoke....will never smoke...

my dad's smoking...and we're really hoping that he would stop, coz we don't want him to suffer the consequences, but he wouldn't listen, i think it's their choice...and maybe that is their, should i say, escape through all the stress in their lives, like work etc etc...

but it's really creepy, u always get those lung diseases...and the people around the smoker gets the major sickness, because we always inhale the smoke, unlike the users they inhale, then exhale it...like that...

but i am not saying that the people who smoke are mean and just mad...it's their choice...if they don't wanna stop, let them...but i am not also saying that smoking is good...

it's like a choice in life...
anthony green.
In The Murder Scene
anthony green.
May 17th, 2008 at 12:54am
I know a bunch of kids at my school, that are my age, that smoke cigarrettes.
In Health class, which all seventh graders are forced to take, we learn about cigarettes, but it doesn't focus very much on what they do to you, only how to smoke them. It makes me confused, because they tell you places to avoid (AKA Places where they give cigarettes to minors) and how the cigarette is smoked. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, I know what they do to you, but still, kids are smoking illegally and nobody cares.
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 5th, 2008 at 11:02am
I smoke and truthfully yea it's a cancer stick but it's also a stress reliver. I'd rather smoke a cigarette than weed in the first place, even though weed doesn't give you cancer.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 5th, 2008 at 12:09pm

I feel like we should broaden this discussion a little..

What do people think about smoking bans? If your country has one, do you think there worthwhile and effective?

For people who don't have one, how would you feel if your country ever got one?

If anyone doesn't know what a smoking ban is there's more information here.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
August 5th, 2008 at 12:11pm
My nan has smoked since she was 14, and she's what? 62, I think, so pretty dmn long. I think, yes, it is a 'cancer stick', but a lot of people, my Nan included find it soothing, and a stress reliever. In fact, most of my famikly smoke, my mom I think is the only one that doesn't. I think as long as you don't smoke around little kids, and other people who aren't smoking, unless, you like, ask first, then sure. A lot of my mates smoke, and I'm fine with that. They smoke around me, and I don't mind. I have personally considered smoking myself, but I decided not to, not because of the health problems, but because it makes you smell, and it cost so much. As long as you smoke it a way that means that you aren't, I don't know the word, preventing someone breathing clean air they want to breathe? As long as the people you smoke around are okay with you doing it, and there aren't any kids, then go ahead.

There's a smoking ban here. You can't smoke inside, which I think is good, cause it means that the other people breathing large quantities of your smoke are also smoking. I don't really care if it affects restaurants, because I'm pretty sure more nonsmoking families will turn up, now that they can feel better about bringing their kids. If you are so concerned about loosing business, then set up smoking areas, that are semi-enclosed, where smokers are protected from 'the elements', or have a beer garden style area. A problem I thought there would be is that of butt ends everywhere, but there aren't any, at least where I live, there are smokers bins for cigarettes, and where there aren't any, the butt ends are swept into the drains and gutters, so at least there is the illusion of tidyness.