Don't have an account? Create one!

Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 9th, 2007 at 09:01pm
What does everyone think would happen if they made cigarettes class a drugs?
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
October 9th, 2007 at 09:53pm
Atchoo.:

i think that if it was classed an and illegal drug then people would still smoke them. Nothing stops a person taking heroin or weed because it a illegal
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 10th, 2007 at 12:14am
love is dead:
Atchoo.:

i think that if it was classed an and illegal drug then people would still smoke them. Nothing stops a person taking heroin or weed because it a illegal

However, it's much harder to get heroin than cigarettes.

Cigarettes are, by definition, not a drug.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 10th, 2007 at 12:20am
"You brought MCR's views into all of this on another thread: You ever notice that Gerard was able to get off of cocaine and alcohol but still smokes? That's because it's bloody hard for someone addicted to nicotine to quit. I've heard more than just Gerard point out that it's easier to quit cocaine than it is to quit cigarettes. "
That wasn't me.
Very Happy

And that matters why? People who have certain mental illnesses will always rape, so nobody should try and stop it?
No.
I feel strongly and passionately about something, and I'm going to speak up for what I believe in. I'm sorry if you don't appreciate that.

Also, nothing is impossible. People are too stubborn to do something that's difficult.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 10th, 2007 at 01:46am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
"You brought MCR's views into all of this on another thread: You ever notice that Gerard was able to get off of cocaine and alcohol but still smokes? That's because it's bloody hard for someone addicted to nicotine to quit. I've heard more than just Gerard point out that it's easier to quit cocaine than it is to quit cigarettes. "
That wasn't me.
Very Happy

And that matters why? People who have certain mental illnesses will always rape, so nobody should try and stop it?
No.
I feel strongly and passionately about something, and I'm going to speak up for what I believe in. I'm sorry if you don't appreciate that.

Also, nothing is impossible. People are too stubborn to do something that's difficult.

What do you hate about cigarettes anyway? I want to see a list of things of why you hate cigarettes. I don't want the list copied down though. I want you to write it out.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 10th, 2007 at 02:32am
They're murder weapons, they harm the enviornment, they cause birth defects, they harm smokers, they harm people who don't smoke, they're disgusting, they cause deadly addictions, they kill, I've seen 16 year olds with cancer because of them, did I mention they kill and are disgusting? Yes? Good, 'cause that goes about 46732623874326432817 times.

Smoking is a disgusting, deadly, sickening habit.
Addictions like that ruin countless lives.
It's disgusting.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 10th, 2007 at 03:00am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
They're murder weapons, they harm the enviornment, they cause birth defects, they harm smokers, they harm people who don't smoke, they're disgusting, they cause deadly addictions, they kill, I've seen 16 year olds with cancer because of them, did I mention they kill and are disgusting? Yes? Good, 'cause that goes about 46732623874326432817 times.

Smoking is a disgusting, deadly, sickening habit.
Addictions like that ruin countless lives.
It's disgusting.

People die in accidents too in cars, by getting hit by cars, cars pollute the world a million times more than cigarettes. Same with spray cans!

You can't call smoking "a deadly addiction" as not everyone who smokes dies of it. A lot of people die of old age... or getting hit by cars, or getting into a car accident, or suicide, or because they eat too much and have a heart attack.

I don't think cigarettes are as disgusting as you think.

Cigarettes wouldn't harm people who don't smoke, if the person who is smoking didn't smoke near a non-smoker. Some friends you got.

We all know AIDS can kill someone 100%, when cancer can be removed. There's people as young as a new born dying of AIDS. I think AIDS kills more people than lung cancer in fact. Condoms don't always work.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
October 10th, 2007 at 03:19am
^ Ciggarette are only harmful when you use them. Mainly because it messes up your lungs which is a major organ in your body which causes you to breathe. People say not to smoke so you dont screw up your lungs and face the consequences of death, cancer etc
In some cases yes smoking dosent cause you to die or have cancer but really if you think about it its a big risk your taking. Like i said its like a cancer of a stick.
Smoking causes a risk. and a risk is stilll a possiblity so why would you want to take that possibility of getting cancer or dying because you find smoking enjoyable?
to me it dosent make sense why would you find something that would damage your health enjoyable. (but thats just me considering i've never smoked)
Yes there are other ways to die but smoking is one of them so smoking shouldnt be any different.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 10th, 2007 at 03:40am
"People die in accidents too in cars, by getting hit by cars, cars pollute the world a million times more than cigarettes. Same with spray cans!

You can't call smoking "a deadly addiction" as not everyone who smokes dies of it. A lot of people die of old age... or getting hit by cars, or getting into a car accident, or suicide, or because they eat too much and have a heart attack.

I don't think cigarettes are as disgusting as you think.

Cigarettes wouldn't harm people who don't smoke, if the person who is smoking didn't smoke near a non-smoker. Some friends you got.

We all know AIDS can kill someone 100%, when cancer can be removed. There's people as young as a new born dying of AIDS. I think AIDS kills more people than lung cancer in fact. Condoms don't always work."

Point being? I don't care how many other things are deadly, that doesn't make cigarettes any less deadly.

Smoking is a deadly addiction. Hate to break it to you... kinda.

My friends don't smoke around me.
But thanks for juding people you've never even heard of.
Second-hand smoke is deadly, and it harms the enviornment. There have been babies born with diseases due to their mothers smoking, even if they were born years after their mothers quit. Smoking harms the enviornment, which harms people who choose to breath. There are very few outdoor public places where nobody smokes.
So yes, smoking does harm more than just the smoker.
Get your facts straight.
Also, let's talk about how hard it is to know that someone you care about is giving themselves diseases.
There's physical and emotional damage to far more people than just the smoker.
Unless somebody shuts themselves up in a windowless room and nobody ever enters, smoking harms more than just the smoker.
*Claps*

So I don't hate AIDS because I despise smoking?

I'd recommend that you stop acting as if you know me, or as if you know my friends. I'd recommend getting your facts straight before you claim that the only way smoking can be harmful to others is if you have a friend blow smoke in your face. Don't act like the only thing on the planet I dislike is smoking, and don't act like because smoking isn't the only thing that causes death that it doesn't.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 10th, 2007 at 06:08pm
Well you said smoking harms other people, so I thought, maybe your friends smoke around you. I'm not like that... but a lot of my friends do smoke.

I never said smoking doesn't harm anyone.

I could go on forever, but I'm still smoking, and I'm still going to continue. It's my decision. Same with everyone elses. If you were that concerned about people smoking, maybe you should create a website, or go on a forum of smokers, and tell them what you've told me.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 10th, 2007 at 07:21pm
love is dead:
Atchoo.:

I think the novelty would wear off though, if you have to go via a dealer and pay a hell of a lot more and know you could get arrested and such for it.

I'm probably being naive, but I believe if they were made Class A drugs, the number of smokers would drop quite a bit in my opinion.
I'm probably wrong though.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 11th, 2007 at 12:39pm
I don't remember the exact number but I have read a study that did show that there is a smaller percentage of smokers since the last tax hike on cigarettes. I don't smoke so I'm not sure the exact price of a pack but I think it's higher than a gallon of gas, and that's saying a lot with the prices the way they are.

Big Tobacco will never stand for their product becoming illegal, so it never will. They have more than enough money to keep lobbying in their interests. So more laws may be passed governing when and where people may smoke, but I don't see that it could ever become illegal.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
October 15th, 2007 at 06:22pm
Okay EVERYONE take a deep breath and calm down, or this'll get locked and people will end up banned.

I think we can all take as read that smoking is harmful. Yes, people who smoke are aware of this despite continuing to do it. It's practically impossible to NOT know, as when you buy a pack it has in nice big letters:
SMOKING KILLS

Why a person smokes is personal to them. Maybe they think it's cool, maybe they want to fit in, maybe they just like the headrush or the feeling of breaking the rules.

Fact is, some smokers want to quit, some are perfectly happy to continue.

I think people should have thr right to do what they want, but not at the risk of others. Smoke if you want, but if people around you don't like it, or ask you to stop then fine, do it. But honestly, don't think that you know why a person mokes or what it has to do with you.

And on the changing tobacco to a class A drug?

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

It would be impossible to implement. It's been around too long. If they just discovered cigarrettes today, sure it would be banned as it is so dangerous.

But it's not going to happen.

Oh and All_You_Need_Is_Love, quick question for myself, do you drink?
shell-
Jazz Hands
shell-
October 15th, 2007 at 06:56pm
i think its disgusting (goin' to sound like such a child)
most of my mates smoke. Echh, its just a waste of money when you think about it. If you saved it up you could buy something that you liked not just buying these stupid sticks that give you no pleasure whatsoever! And they are probalyl going to give you a higher chance of developing cancer! In the uk its gone up from 16 to 18 now in a bid to try and stop young ones (so now a lot of my mates cant buy them...without a fake I.D.) that was a good idea cause for younger people might not be as easy to start! I for ione just hate the product. and dont see why ever it was invtnted! And i dont see how tabacco companies can be happy with themselves watchin the suffering of millions just from smoking things that they produce!

Rant Over!

probally dosnt make sence though
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
October 15th, 2007 at 10:45pm
UNdMeWe'reGnaBeStars:
Echh, its just a waste of money when you think about it. If you saved it up you could buy something that you liked not just buying these stupid sticks that give you no pleasure whatsoever!

I totally understand the expense, it's the worst factor. One of my friends has probably spent enough to fuel her car for a year.

But No pleasure? No offense, but you've obviously never felt that happy floaty feeling that everything's okay.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 17th, 2007 at 10:43am
^^In the long run, they probably won't give you any pleasure, mainly due to what tabacco does to your health. Even though I don't smoke, I can see how some people get 'pleasure' from them.

And besides, us people who don't smoke obviously get our 'pleasure' from a source that isn't as, if at all, destructive.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 17th, 2007 at 08:27pm
UNdMeWe'reGnaBeStars:
Echh, its just a waste of money when you think about it. If you saved it up you could buy something that you liked not just buying these stupid sticks that give you no pleasure whatsoever!

Not quite true.
When I smoked, I smoked alone (until recently).
Why would I smoke on my own for no reason?

I did it for the feeling.
Or the rush or whatever you wish to call it.
Pilgrim.
Salute You in Your Grave
Pilgrim.
October 17th, 2007 at 09:21pm
Poison Tree:

And on the changing tobacco to a class A drug?

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

It would be impossible to implement. It's been around too long. If they just discovered cigarrettes today, sure it would be banned as it is so dangerous.

But it's not going to happen.

Agreed.
Another personal opinion I have to add. I think that drugs as they are somehow change your personality while your under their influence. Tobacco doesn't. So just because it's highly addictive and unhealthy, it doesn't change the way you behave (unless you're a chainsmoker forced to sit in a room for hours without a cig) and therefore I will never consider it being a "drug" in the first place.
SINATRA
Bleeding on the Floor
SINATRA
October 18th, 2007 at 09:53am
I don't really have much of an opinion on the topic. It's a personal choice, and I think there are more important things to worry about than cigarettes. And I agree about the whole drug thing. Cigarettes will never be banned, because like EndlessSacrifice said, they don't alter your perception.
Annaundead;
Awake and Unafraid
Annaundead;
January 3rd, 2008 at 09:24am
Oh Star.:

I think the novelty would wear off though, if you have to go via a dealer and pay a hell of a lot more and know you could get arrested and such for it.

I'm probably being naive, but I believe if they were made Class A drugs, the number of smokers would drop quite a bit in my opinion.
I'm probably wrong though.

I know many, many people that say if weed was legallized, they would stop smoking it.
Part of the novelty of people smoking drugs is because it's illegal, and it gives people the thought of "We could get arrested for this" which gives them a rush.
The same goes for ciggys, if they became illegal, alot of people would smoke them for the sole fact that they were illegal.

I'm a smoker, I have never been ashamed to admit it. I like to smoke, it calms me down, more in the sense that if I don't have one i get angry and aggressive.
People have asked me "So smoking calms you down, why do you feel a need to smoke at gigs and such?"
If i cant smoke at a gig or something, I get incredibly aggressive towards people in my way. So as for the smoking ban, it should have never been made in my opinion.
I know about all the health risks, and I really don't mind nocking a few years off my life. Everyones going to die sometime. I could get hit by a bus in the next ten minutes, so I might as well enjoy my life while I can. And smoking cigarettes brings me enjoyment.