Don't have an account? Create one!

Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 8th, 2007 at 06:58pm
I think smokers should be more understanding towards non-smokers - it is unfair to share your smoke with those who don't want it.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 8th, 2007 at 08:30pm
PlushToy:
Scandalqueen, since when was breathing an addiction? Neutral
Everyone needs to breathe... not everyone needs to smoke. There's a huge difference...

Exactly.

Eating and drinking aren't necessarily addictions, either.
They can be. But for most people, it's a simple necissity of life.

This is the definition of "addiction" according to dictionary.com:
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 8th, 2007 at 09:08pm
PlushToy:

But answer truthfully: if your doctor told you that you were going to die of lung cancer due to smoking, would you be happy with yourself? Would you be happy that for most of, or at least part of your life, you subjected your body to harm on purpose? That's not a rhetorical question, it's a genuine one. Would you be happy and fulfilled?

Also, as much as we are "born to die", we are also born to live.

Fantastic, your family doesn't have any known history of lung cancer. But you have to remember that not everyone is as lucky as that. Many other people who smoke [as well as those who don't] may, in fact, have a family history of cancer.

The example of your grandmother is undoubtedly true, but how many people do you think are lucky enough to live their whole life chain smoking and not die of a disease related to smoking? Not many. You're grandmother was lucky, as was my grandmother [the same deal with her - she smoked since she was 18 and she's still going at 75].[/size]

I believe people when they say smoking calms them down. All I was trying to point out was that there are other ways of calming down other than wrecking your lungs.

If people want to smoke, that's their deal. But I personally will never fully understand why people will willingly wreck their lungs.

Yeah, like I said I get calmed down from other things. But smoking just helps me a bit more.

If I died now, I don't think it'd matter. I don't even know if I'd realize I'm dead, as I probably wouldn't realize anything. But if I did realize it, of course I wouldn't be satisfied.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 8th, 2007 at 09:12pm
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
scandalqueen:

Yes, that's true.... that's why they have me on a 1mg tablet of Lorazepam four times a day, and Ritalin.

Sometimes with anxiety issues, you think in your mind "Maybe death would be better"...

If I got lung cancer and was to die, I'd die. I'm not in any rush. Why do people rush for things? The last thing everyone does, is die. We were born to die. I'm a very happy person and I'm not going to hold myself back from things I want to do, that's stressful.

Some things I don't do is drinking many alcoholic products... for one, now I'm on Ritalin and Lorazepam, I can't drink as it'll have side effects, and for two, I'd probably be an alcoholic, and "hide my problems"... that's what one of my family members did with their anxiety problems (It's genetic).

I've never tried any illegal drugs either.

I don't think about what cigarettes will do to me in the long run, as it doesn't really matter. I'd rather be in pain than have anxiety.

Anyone can get cancer of most types, so I sound like an idiot for saying this, but no one in my family has had lung cancer as far as I know, and my great grandmother was a chain smoker since 14 and lived till like 85... but you know, here's the bad thing, she had emphesema (I don't know how to spell the word), and that must of been bad.

So, smoking doesn't provide many benefits, but it does calm people down. I'm not promoting it, but don't say it won't, if you haven't done it.

Cancer doesn't cause anxiety?
Hm, 'cause when my mom got cancer, our whole family was stressed. Oddly enough, same with my aunt.

So just because anybody can get the disease, it's not a big deal when somebody does something that increases the risk?

Actually, according to a lot of medical research, addictions increase/cause stress and anxiety. Nicotene can calm somebody when they already have an unhealthy- often deadly- addiction. The facts (as well as all my friends who smoke and smoked, and my mother, who smoked) prove that having an addiction is not good for stress. Having an addiction to something that deadly increases the problem, it's one of the many side effects. Plain and simple.

Whenever I'm sick... I don't care what happens.

For the years I've been smoking, I don't care what anyone says, smoking has never caused me anxiety or a panic attack. That's it. That's all I can say. The day it causes me anxiety or a panic attack, is the day I'll quit.

I have more of anxiety than stress. I'm not disapointed with anything in my life, in fact, I'm really happy. The only problem I have is my panic attacks and anxiety. I've had panic attacks and anxiety before I started smoking, long before I started smoking. In fact, I feel better now than in years. There was a time I'd be too scared to leave my bedroom.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
October 8th, 2007 at 09:15pm
OK smoking

well i think that if you smoke because it makes you look "hard" or "cool" then get a life! Your like writing your death certificate, and it will be a slow and painful, thrust me i watched my gran die because of it, don't waste your life.

If your doing it because of stress reasons then fine, but there is over ways of relief.

whatever the reason the reason your doing it for, just don't in front of me where I'm standing so i have take in all your second hand smoke! I DON'T WANT IT!

Now that smoking has now been banned in public places, in England there has been a group of people who have set up some group that want the law changed. I'm sorry but if you want to smoke be my guess its one less person that society has to put up with, (as you will die sooner or later face it) but i repeat again I DON'T WANT YOUR SECOND HAND SMOKE IN MY CLEAN LUNGS!

Some people may wonder why the government does just ban smoking as it causes all these health problems, well the truth is that they want you to smoke they make so much money through it!
Well why do they do advertise not to and ban smoking in public places? because they want to keep the non-smokers happy and the the medical department happy.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 8th, 2007 at 09:16pm
The final part is, everyone knows what smoking can do to you. It can cause all kinds of cancer and other problems. I'm totally aware of that. But with my severe anxiety and panic attacks, it helps calm me down. It's a fact and I don't really care what anyone says about that, and the doctors agreed with me. I think we know it's possible someday I could get cancer, but I don't really care. That time is a long ways away. And if it came sooner than that, then that's that. Everyone's death is planned by God.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 8th, 2007 at 10:18pm
Addictions cause and increase anxiety.
That's proven fact.
Even if you want to deny it.
Any doctor who doesn't know that fact needs to go back to med school.

Also, you say that everyone's death is planned as if that is fact. It's not, it's your personal belief. And if you believe that God intends for suicides and murders, therefore giving yourself cancer is fine because it's an act of God.....
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 8th, 2007 at 11:10pm
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Addictions cause and increase anxiety.
That's proven fact.
Even if you want to deny it.

Also, you say that everyone's death is planned as if that is fact. It's not, it's your personal belief. And if you believe that God intends for suicides and murders, therefore giving yourself cancer is fine because it's an act of God.....

Addictions will cause you anxiety if you try to stop and have withdrawl symptoms. Especially someone like me who enjoys being totally comfortable, if I'm not, then anxiety can strike. I always have a pack of cigarettes so I'm NEVER worrying about "Oh no, where's my cigarettes!?!?!?"

Do you smoke?
Do you have agoraphobia, severe anxiety, or panic attacks? Panic attacks and anxiety so bad you get so dizzy that you can't walk and you feel like you don't exhist and everything is fake, and you feel like you're dead? Anxiety so bad you can't walk into a mall or even a small store, because you are so nervous for reasons of the unknown? Anxiety so bad, you can't even sit still for a long time, and you are constantly moving your body because of it? Anxiety so bad that even while typing on the computer you can't sit still and you are twirling round and round while typing a reply to someone on a forum? Anxiety so bad, that when you are riding in a car, and the car stops at a stop light, you feel sick and dizzy and feel like the car is spinning round and round? Anxiety so bad that you're constantly scared you are going to have another panic attack and it ends up leading to one? Panic attacks so bad that you call your loved one who is at work and tell them "I think I'm dying, and I love you, and tell our son when he is born that I love him too"? Anxiety so bad that you find it hard to sleep as when you're 'doing nothing', you start thinking of anxiety and other bad things? Panic attacks so bad, that some of them have kept you in bed for a month? Anxiety so bad you were afraid to even leave your room and eat, so you'd just get someone to get you something to drink and you'd piss in a cup? Anxiety so bad, that once you get out of your room and you go outside, you have someone set up a tent for you because you felt too horrible to do it yourself, that you lock yourself in the tent and stay there for two months?

Have you ever had a panic attack and there was nothing you can do about it, you couldn't even open your eyes, yet you lit a cigarette to calm you down while the panic attack goes away?

I honestly think smoking is the least of my problems right now, and the doctors and counselours and psyciatrists think so too. Quitting smoking would only cause more anxiety and right now we're trying to decrease it.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 9th, 2007 at 01:31am
*Slaps forehead*
It is a scientifically PROVEN fact that having an addiction CAUSES AND INCREASES stress and anxiety. Proven. There has been A LOOOOOOT of research that PROVES that FACT.
I feel sorry for you that you refuse to admit that, but it is true.
It is scientific fact.
Fact. It has been proven.

Addictions cause and increase anxiety and stress.
If you choose to deny that fact, I am sorry. But that's your own decision and unfortunately, others are being harmed due to your ignorance on the subject.
If you are seeing doctors who deny facts the same way you do, you're in a lose-lose situation, I suppose.

Oh, and by the way, yes, I do have anxiety problems. I just don't try to control them by making them worse with a deadly addiction. Smile
johnny walker eyes.
Demolition Lover
johnny walker eyes.
October 9th, 2007 at 01:40am

Okay, sure.
It increases stress and anxiety, but giving up that addiction would like... double that stress.
Right?

Like smoking... without a smoke, you go spazzo, yet when you have the smoke you feel much more calmer.
Well, thats from what ive heard. I dont smoke.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 9th, 2007 at 01:41am
scandalqueen:

Do you smoke?
Do you have agoraphobia, severe anxiety, or panic attacks? Panic attacks and anxiety so bad you get so dizzy that you can't walk and you feel like you don't exhist and everything is fake, and you feel like you're dead? Anxiety so bad you can't walk into a mall or even a small store, because you are so nervous for reasons of the unknown? Anxiety so bad, you can't even sit still for a long time, and you are constantly moving your body because of it? Anxiety so bad that even while typing on the computer you can't sit still and you are twirling round and round while typing a reply to someone on a forum? Anxiety so bad, that when you are riding in a car, and the car stops at a stop light, you feel sick and dizzy and feel like the car is spinning round and round? Anxiety so bad that you're constantly scared you are going to have another panic attack and it ends up leading to one? Panic attacks so bad that you call your loved one who is at work and tell them "I think I'm dying, and I love you, and tell our son when he is born that I love him too"? Anxiety so bad that you find it hard to sleep as when you're 'doing nothing', you start thinking of anxiety and other bad things? Panic attacks so bad, that some of them have kept you in bed for a month? Anxiety so bad you were afraid to even leave your room and eat, so you'd just get someone to get you something to drink and you'd piss in a cup? Anxiety so bad, that once you get out of your room and you go outside, you have someone set up a tent for you because you felt too horrible to do it yourself, that you lock yourself in the tent and stay there for two months?

Have you ever had a panic attack and there was nothing you can do about it, you couldn't even open your eyes, yet you lit a cigarette to calm you down while the panic attack goes away?

I honestly think smoking is the least of my problems right now, and the doctors and counselours and psyciatrists think so too. Quitting smoking would only cause more anxiety and right now we're trying to decrease it.

I don't think any doctor in their right mind would condone smoking. Maybe in the 1940s, but not today; not now. That's extremely backward thinking.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 9th, 2007 at 01:45am
I'm addicted to cigarettes, but it's not causing me stress or anxiety. Look up nicotine addiction.

Step into my mind please, and tell me what I'm feeling.

... and as I've said before your last post, I don't smoke because of my anxiety. I did not go to smoking for any kind of treatmont or cure.

I never get nervous/worried/scared/depressed/anxiety/anger due to cigarettes. That's all I can say.

Can't I smoke? Will you let me smoke?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 9th, 2007 at 01:50am
Hey, go right ahead. If you want to smoke, then smoke.
I know people who smoke. My dad used to smoke. It's not like I distance myself from them... I just don't understand the reasoning behind it, and I don't want to know. Mainly because I will never understand.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 9th, 2007 at 02:05am
Trust me, I have studied addictions.
So I don't need to, I already have.

It is proven FACT that addictions cause stress and anziety.
If you choose to deny that fact, I feel sorry for you.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 9th, 2007 at 02:06am
Jess-ay:

Okay, sure.
It increases stress and anxiety, but giving up that addiction would like... double that stress.
Right?

Like smoking... without a smoke, you go spazzo, yet when you have the smoke you feel much more calmer.
Well, thats from what ive heard. I dont smoke.

For a certain period of time, yes.
As opposed to an addiction that someone feeds and allows to get bigger and become more of a problem throughout their entire lives.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 9th, 2007 at 02:37am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:

As opposed to an addiction that someone feeds and allows to get bigger and become more of a problem throughout their entire lives.

I smoke less than I did a year ago. My lungs are in excellent shape too.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 9th, 2007 at 04:36am
scandalqueen:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:

I smoke less than I did a year ago. My lungs are in excellent shape too.

but thatsif you had really really good lungs before you started, i think it's like only 1 in every 3 lungs function properly or something like that, but i have asthma, pretty bad asthma so my lungs are already pretty weak as it is, so i know i wouldn't be able take smoking, cause i'm at a bonfire and in about 5 minuetes i can't breathe. also alot of people who start smokingdon't know they have a brethingproblem, so it only increases
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
October 9th, 2007 at 04:37am
it all depends on the person.
that is how i look at it.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 9th, 2007 at 01:16pm
new born.:
it all depends on the person.
that is how i look at it.

But it affects more than just the smoker. Unless said person only smokes in an inclosed space where nobody else ever comes.

The chemicals found in cigarette smoke are not only harmful to people, but also to the enviornment.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 9th, 2007 at 01:28pm
And the exhaust from car fumes is bad for the environment but you don't see the line at the bus stop getting any longer, and not everyone can afford a hybrid or electric car. No one is going to stop driving anytime soon.

Smokers are addicted. You can post fact after fact after fact in the biggest, boldest text you can find and they will continue to smoke. Maybe they want to. Maybe they've tried to quit and can't. You brought MCR's views into all of this on another thread: You ever notice that Gerard was able to get off of cocaine and alcohol but still smokes? That's because it's bloody hard for someone addicted to nicotine to quit. I've heard more than just Gerard point out that it's easier to quit cocaine than it is to quit cigarettes.

Out of all the people that I know who smoke, only two were able to successfully quit smoking, and one of them took two years to be completely smoke-free. It's not like me giving up soda. I wasn't addicted to soda, I just got it out of convenience. Now I have to go out of my way to get water or juice alternatives, and even then there are times when I drink soda because nothing else is available. For someone who is addicted to nicotine there is no other alternative. They can't sub a carrot stick for a cigarette the way I can sub a Vitamin Water for a soda. Most smokers are sensitive to non-smokers and will smoke outside or away from someone who doesn't like smoke. I myself am allergic to cigarette smoke and not one of my friends who smokes does it around me. They will go outside if they need to smoke. I know to be cautious when I step outside of a building because I know that people smoke out there. I've never had a smoker blow smoke in my face because I told them I was allergic and asked them to please smoke somewhere else. They have always apologized and moved so that I am not in the smoke cloud.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for every person who is addicted to be able to quit. I think it would be better for people and the environment. But until they come up with a way for everyone to do that easily, it's not going to happen.