Don't have an account? Create one!

Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
mollz
Salute You in Your Grave
mollz
October 6th, 2007 at 01:33am
I think it's one of the most vile things on the planet. My best friend smokes and it breaks my heart. It's disgusting, extremely bad for you (obviously), and just plain dumb.

"With my severe anxiety, and I quit smoking, it'd just give me withdrawals, cause more anxiety, etc."

That's terrible. It shows how much smoking affected you, and that you can't get rid of that anxiety unless you have to release toxins into your body.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 6th, 2007 at 02:01am
Jess-ay:
scandalqueen:

With my severe anxiety, and I quit smoking, it'd just give me withdrawls, cause more anxiety, etc.

It calms me down due to the fact it keeps my mind off of other things which would cause anxiety. It's bad for your health, no doubt, but if you have severe anxiety, one of the things you don't want to do is quit smoking. "It keeps my nervous hands busy"

"Like another cigarette, and let yourself go"

Well, i guess that makes sense. Quitting would only makes you stress alot more, correct?

If i was the doctor, i would just advise you to take a less stressful way of quiting. Like, it doesnt always have to be cold turkey.
And you can take it really slow, right?
That sooo odd that your doctor advised that ><

Not really. They are trying to find a way to control my anxiety, which makes it harder to live everything, than my cigarettes do. The panic attacks can be so bad I fall to the ground, get dizzy, sick, or I flip out un-controllably for hours. The cigarettes do calm me down. If I'm thinking "Oh, I have to quit smoking"... it'd lead to a bit of anxiety. Not enough to create a panic attack, but it just puts my icing on the anxiety cake.

People always say "cigarettes cause pressure, it doesn't relax you"... but it's un-true. I didn't smoke to "be cool" nor did I smoke because it's trendy. I don't know why I did it. But I smoke alone more than I do with a crowd of people, so I'm not trying to impress anyone. It calms me down. In public, it can calm me down too. Anywhere. It doesn't completely calm me. But it keeps my mind on the cigarette instead of fearing a panic attack or anxiety or any other bad thoughts in my head. In fact, three doctors have told me this in the past few weeks. But if I had anxiety, and did not smoke, and I asked if they recommend it, they'd probably say no.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 6th, 2007 at 02:55am
Having an addiction has been proven to cause and/or heighten stress and anxiety.

So yes, being addicted to nicotene would heighten the anxiety of a person with anxiety problems. It doesn't matter why you started, an addiction is an addiction.
wasted youth.
Demolition Lover
wasted youth.
October 6th, 2007 at 05:22am
wild horses.:
I think I speak for many people when I say smoking is just terrible.
Just like any drug, it is so damn harmful.
You may be going through stress, which is mental, but why fuck up your physical self?
It makes no sense to me. I've never smoked a thing and never will.
If one is under all this stress, they should do something about it and not ignore it and smoke.

That's what I think.
johnny walker eyes.
Demolition Lover
johnny walker eyes.
October 6th, 2007 at 01:17pm

I understand why the doctors said what they said, but i still see that very odd xD

I guess its nice that you have found something that calms you down, but i just wish it was something a bit more healthier - ahah.

So, your glad that you smoke?
br00tal.
Salute You in Your Grave
br00tal.
October 7th, 2007 at 04:33am
mollerskates:
I think it's one of the most vile things on the planet. My best friend smokes and it breaks my heart. It's disgusting, extremely bad for you (obviously), and just plain dumb.

I can relate.
And my friend is underage.

Anyways, I think that smoking is quite honestly a pointless addiction.
There are other ways to calm oneself down.
It destroys one's body and the people around them.
I could never bring myself to smoke, it would make me feel like I didn't care about myself.
I applaud those who are quitting.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 7th, 2007 at 09:46am
To all the people who smoke to relieve stress and anxiety, all I can say is - there are other ways of calming youself down, and relieving stress.

You just keep telling yourself that you're only smoking to "calm down". After 20 years of "calming down" via smoking, just see how your health is. That is, if you aren't dead already.

I know that sounded harsh, but it's the reality.

How can people be so ignorant about their health?
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 7th, 2007 at 12:15pm
As an ex-smoker, when you're aware of all the facts, you just don't give a crap.

It's only when you've stopped you see what you've done to yourself.

But, by then, it's a tad late.

I dunno if I'm the only one who felt/feels like that though.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
October 7th, 2007 at 11:00pm
I really don't like smoking and i don't like the attitudes some smokers have towards non smokers.
This is a quote from one of the members from the band Mcqueen (lead singer i think)
"Non smokers should be made to go outside in the rain as they are the ones who have a problem with smokers!"
erm yeah fuck off (sorry for the language but made me angry). We didn't decide to have a habit which is gradually killing us thank you very much. and don't deserve to put up with pasive (sp?) smoking.
I hate it when smokers go "i cant live without cigs" well you obviously can as you obviously wern't smoking in your childhood.
It's basically lighting a five pound note. Its a money eater. Just imagine the money wasted on cigs a year. Thats a lot.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 7th, 2007 at 11:20pm
^^ I remember watching my mother write a check for $400 every month for cigarettes for herself and her boyfriend. And that would be in 1980s money.

That's my car payment. An entire month of groceries. Two months at my meal preparation kitchen. Two months of tuition for a kid at my afterschool program. 100 comics or so. Two months of gas for both of our cars. I could keep going.

I agree, it's a ton of money to spend on something and have nothing to show for it.
johnny walker eyes.
Demolition Lover
johnny walker eyes.
October 8th, 2007 at 12:23am

I have a family friend who is a serious smoker, and my mum is sick of her asking for a quick 10 bucks because she already spent all her money on cigs.

I understand the need and want they have with cigarettes... but y'know, getting to work should over-power that xD
But i know that it doesnt.
Cigs are like, number one for every smoker.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 8th, 2007 at 03:18am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Having an addiction has been proven to cause and/or heighten stress and anxiety.

So yes, being addicted to nicotene would heighten the anxiety of a person with anxiety problems. It doesn't matter why you started, an addiction is an addiction.

Breathing doesn't cause me anxiety and smoking a cigarette gets my mind off my anxiety, because I'm 'doing something' ... the more I do, the more I get my mind off of things.

Drinking, eating, breathing, is an addiction which doesn't give me anxiety. The anxiety of wanting something and the anxiety of wanting something to go away are two different things.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 8th, 2007 at 03:21am
Jess-ay:

I understand why the doctors said what they said, but i still see that very odd xD

I guess its nice that you have found something that calms you down, but i just wish it was something a bit more healthier - ahah.

So, your glad that you smoke?

To be honest, I don't mind I smoke. I suffer severe anxiety & panic attacks (a panic attack for me is reallllllllllllllllly bad, to the point I can't even walk).

They told me no caffeine, but they it's not the time to stop smoking right now... I asked if I should stop smoking, they said no, because it keeps my mind off of things.

I really don't mind my cigarette smoking, and most of my friends smoke too, so I don't think I'm irratating them.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 8th, 2007 at 03:26am
PlushToy:
To all the people who smoke to relieve stress and anxiety, all I can say is - there are other ways of calming youself down, and relieving stress.

You just keep telling yourself that you're only smoking to "calm down". After 20 years of "calming down" via smoking, just see how your health is. That is, if you aren't dead already.

I know that sounded harsh, but it's the reality.

How can people be so ignorant about their health?

Yes, that's true.... that's why they have me on a 1mg tablet of Lorazepam four times a day, and Ritalin.

Sometimes with anxiety issues, you think in your mind "Maybe death would be better"...

If I got lung cancer and was to die, I'd die. I'm not in any rush. Why do people rush for things? The last thing everyone does, is die. We were born to die. I'm a very happy person and I'm not going to hold myself back from things I want to do, that's stressful.

Some things I don't do is drinking many alcoholic products... for one, now I'm on Ritalin and Lorazepam, I can't drink as it'll have side effects, and for two, I'd probably be an alcoholic, and "hide my problems"... that's what one of my family members did with their anxiety problems (It's genetic).

I've never tried any illegal drugs either.

I don't think about what cigarettes will do to me in the long run, as it doesn't really matter. I'd rather be in pain than have anxiety.

Anyone can get cancer of most types, so I sound like an idiot for saying this, but no one in my family has had lung cancer as far as I know, and my great grandmother was a chain smoker since 14 and lived till like 85... but you know, here's the bad thing, she had emphesema (I don't know how to spell the word), and that must of been bad.

So, smoking doesn't provide many benefits, but it does calm people down. I'm not promoting it, but don't say it won't, if you haven't done it.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
October 8th, 2007 at 05:33am
I haven't smoked for a few days now.
My lungs already feel cleaner, and I am not coughing as much.
The thing that SUCKS, though, is payday is coming up this Friday, and I KNOW that when I have $$$, I will want to give in and buy another pack of Camels.

Dare to dream!!!!
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 8th, 2007 at 06:58am
scandalqueen:

If I got lung cancer and was to die, I'd die. I'm not in any rush. Why do people rush for things? The last thing everyone does, is die. We were born to die. I'm a very happy person and I'm not going to hold myself back from things I want to do, that's stressful.

But answer truthfully: if your doctor told you that you were going to die of lung cancer due to smoking, would you be happy with yourself? Would you be happy that for most of, or at least part of your life, you subjected your body to harm on purpose? That's not a rhetorical question, it's a genuine one. Would you be happy and fulfilled?

Also, as much as we are "born to die", we are also born to live.

scandalqueen:
Anyone can get cancer of most types, so I sound like an idiot for saying this, but no one in my family has had lung cancer as far as I know, and my great grandmother was a chain smoker since 14 and lived till like 85... but you know, here's the bad thing, she had emphesema (I don't know how to spell the word), and that must of been bad.

Fantastic, your family doesn't have any known history of lung cancer. But you have to remember that not everyone is as lucky as that. Many other people who smoke [as well as those who don't] may, in fact, have a family history of cancer.

The example of your grandmother is undoubtedly true, but how many people do you think are lucky enough to live their whole life chain smoking and not die of a disease related to smoking? Not many. You're grandmother was lucky, as was my grandmother [the same deal with her - she smoked since she was 18 and she's still going at 75].

scandalqueen:
So, smoking doesn't provide many benefits, but it does calm people down. I'm not promoting it, but don't say it won't, if you haven't done it.

I believe people when they say smoking calms them down. All I was trying to point out was that there are other ways of calming down other than wrecking your lungs.

If people want to smoke, that's their deal. But I personally will never fully understand why people will willingly wreck their lungs.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 8th, 2007 at 01:10pm
scandalqueen:

Yes, that's true.... that's why they have me on a 1mg tablet of Lorazepam four times a day, and Ritalin.

Sometimes with anxiety issues, you think in your mind "Maybe death would be better"...

Some things I don't do is drinking many alcoholic products... for one, now I'm on Ritalin and Lorazepam, I can't drink as it'll have side effects, and for two, I'd probably be an alcoholic, and "hide my problems"... that's what one of my family members did with their anxiety problems (It's genetic).

I've never tried any illegal drugs either.

I don't think about what cigarettes will do to me in the long run, as it doesn't really matter. I'd rather be in pain than have anxiety.

Cancer doesn't cause anxiety?
Hm, 'cause when my mom got cancer, our whole family was stressed. Oddly enough, same with my aunt.

So just because anybody can get the disease, it's not a big deal when somebody does something that increases the risk?

Actually, according to a lot of medical research, addictions increase/cause stress and anxiety. Nicotene can calm somebody when they already have an unhealthy- often deadly- addiction. The facts (as well as all my friends who smoke and smoked, and my mother, who smoked) prove that having an addiction is not good for stress. Having an addiction to something that deadly increases the problem, it's one of the many side effects. Plain and simple.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 8th, 2007 at 01:12pm
scandalqueen:
Breathing doesn't cause me anxiety and smoking a cigarette gets my mind off my anxiety, because I'm 'doing something' ... the more I do, the more I get my mind off of things.

Drinking, eating, breathing, is an addiction which doesn't give me anxiety. The anxiety of wanting something and the anxiety of wanting something to go away are two different things.

When did I say breathing causes anxiety?

Having an addiction has been scientifically proven to cause and increase stess and anxiety.

Eating is not a deadly addiction unless you don't eat healthily. There are no such things as healthy cigarettes. Every living being needs to eat, drink, and breathe in order to live. Putting countless deadly chemicals is not necessary for life.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 8th, 2007 at 01:21pm
Scandalqueen, since when was breathing an addiction? Neutral
Everyone needs to breathe... not everyone needs to smoke. There's a huge difference...
gemstonefromabove
Killjoy
gemstonefromabove
October 8th, 2007 at 02:26pm
hey.

my bf smoked and i made him stop cause i cared about him.
but it doesnt bother me that people smoke.
they know what they're doing
its their choice
you can give them advise just dont push them or make them feel bad and it wont work.
to be honest it never bothered me that he smoked.
its up to the indiviual and they might be killing themselves, but its not like they;re commiting immediate suicicde is it.
only ever smoked once.
but have to say the taste of bitter tobacco on someones lips when you kiss them is really quite nice. (that might just be me, but hey)