Don't have an account? Create one!

The MCR London protest. Who's going?

AuthorMessage
Day Old Hate
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Day Old Hate
May 24th, 2008 at 06:45pm
My Two Cents: Someone is going to get insulted by someone outside of the protest / someone outside the protest is going to start a fight... the whole thing is going to escolate...
To anyone who is going, I urge you to be very careful and stay safe. Do not use vulgar language and do not do anything that may start a fight.
I'm really worried about this...
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 24th, 2008 at 07:14pm
Spencer:
So we're thinking about switching from TWLOHA to The Samaritans, since they're much more direct

That is if we go through with the idea

I think that's a good call :]
transmission
Shotgun Sinner
transmission
May 24th, 2008 at 08:13pm
I feel so honored to have conjured up alternative ideas for the cuase. hug
xXIero.ticXx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xXIero.ticXx
May 24th, 2008 at 08:33pm
Scartist:
The MCR march actually has a goal: to show people that suicide and teenage depression are real problems, not a fashion that can be blamed on a band. And this message is important. It's not just about MCR.

*nods*

i kind of reeeeally don't like the idea of changing the protest's goal because of a possible headline or two.

we can't really predict the outcome or the reaction, y'know?

the reason the protest was created was to prove the Daily Mail wrong, if i interpreted it correctly. to prove that we're not a suicide cult and that MCR are anti-suicide and so are we.

i'm already immune to papers and bloggers writing things like "Emos whine about anti-MCR article..." and things like that.

if anything, people writing about us shows that we're actually something worth attracting media attention. the way i see it, anyway.

why would i care about a few more headlines?

.....but that's just my two cents.

i'm sure my post will either be ignored, argued against, or swamped in everyone else's replies.

meh.

i just thought i'd pipe up and say something for once.

KTF. \m/

*goes back to lurking*

oh, and edit:

i love the idea about collecting money for charity at the same time..

Lamp
Killjoy
Lamp
May 24th, 2008 at 09:08pm
If you ask me, it's just a bunch of young kids who didn't get their way and want to fight so it is what they want to hear.

Seriously, so like one paper labels a group of fans. So what? It's nothing to bitch and moan and cause a public spectacle about. The Daily Mail has a right to post whatever the hell they want to. Them making comments about a band is possibly the WORST thing to be protesting.

It's basically saying "Oh, this person said this, let's attack them and they'll learn a lesson!" Now how is that going to solve anything? You should have a suicide walk just made up of MCR fans, and possibly a vigil for the girl. Some of you are seeming to forget that a girl DIED. People are dying all over the world and you are protesting name-calling. It's totally selfish and makes the entire fanbase look bad.

As fans, we should be the bigger, more mature person and just deal with it, you can't please everyone and you will never do so.

I just hope that none of you get attacked, that would be a shame.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 24th, 2008 at 09:27pm
^^ ok you know what? im sick of argueing about the cause of the protest. you dont agree, fine. all im saying is, if you were being bullied would you stand up to the bully, or just let it happen? because thats what the daily mail is, a big fat ignorant bully.
they called us a SUICIDE CULT. thats fucking insulting and i dont know about you, but i've always been taught not to take shit from anyone and thats exactly what this is about. you can moan all you want about how this isnt going to achieve anything but atleast we have the guts to stand up for something we believe in.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
May 24th, 2008 at 09:33pm
... All of this negative commenting about how this thing isn't worthy of a protest at all just goes to show you that no good deed goes unpunished. So, someone is trying to make a difference. You don't like what they're trying to do? Get off your butt and go do something that you think is important that makes a difference. Don't just sit there behind a computer screen, whining and bitching about what someone else is trying to do. Every good deed matters, no matter how small. And people wonder why nobody has the balls to get up and do anything these days? It's because othere people seem to enjoy shooting them down, saying "THAT's not important. THIS is what's important." Sure, maybe it's important to YOU, but that doesn't mean it's important to everybody. If everybody stood up for what they believed in, the world would be a lot better place.
/rant

In other news, I think collecting for charity is a brilliant idea.

EDIT: I agree with what the person above me said.
Bess Houdini
Fabulous Killjoy
Bess Houdini
May 24th, 2008 at 09:40pm
I absolutely believe in standing up for what you love. But I also believe that you need to choose your battles.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
May 24th, 2008 at 09:42pm
^ Alright, that sentiment I can understand. Many of us simply feel that this is worth fighting for, and that is all that it really comes down to. Undestandably, not everybody feels the same way, I was just merely getting tired of people complaining about the protest.
Lamp
Killjoy
Lamp
May 24th, 2008 at 10:00pm
earth2themorgue:
^^ ok you know what? im sick of argueing about the cause of the protest. you dont agree, fine. all im saying is, if you were being bullied would you stand up to the bully, or just let it happen? because thats what the daily mail is, a big fat ignorant bully.
they called us a SUICIDE CULT. thats fucking insulting and i dont know about you, but i've always been taught not to take shit from anyone and thats exactly what this is about. you can moan all you want about how this isnt going to achieve anything but atleast we have the guts to stand up for something we believe in.

Well then you have to take that up with the rest of the world, because the rest of the world is laughing at you all for protesting such a minuscule thing. I have guts to stand up for things that actually matter. Normal people would just laugh at this, people could be saying WAY worse to you. And in person when you take those streets.

Ohhhh darn, everyone's ganging up on poor little MCR and their fans again, cryyyyyy.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
May 24th, 2008 at 10:11pm
^ Alright, that's far enough. This isn't a thread for harrassment, and you know what? I'm sorry that this isn't important enough for you, but it's important for us, so why don't you just back off? Someone's trying to make a difference, and every little bit counts, no matter how small you may think it is. Oh, and you want to know something that's NOT doing anything positive? You hating on this, so if you're such a great human being who stands up for "real" causes, then why are you harrassing us about ours? We're just trying to make a difference.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 24th, 2008 at 10:21pm
Lamp:
earth2themorgue:

Well then you have to take that up with the rest of the world, because the rest of the world is laughing at you all for protesting such a minuscule thing. I have guts to stand up for things that actually matter. Normal people would just laugh at this, people could be saying WAY worse to you. And in person when you take those streets.

Ohhhh darn, everyone's ganging up on poor little MCR and their fans again, cryyyyyy.

well lucky for me i dont give a fuck what the rest of the world or 'normal' people think.
what important issues are you standing up for?
go cure aids, then we'll talk.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 24th, 2008 at 10:23pm
These long debates on whether or not the protest is good or bad are completely cyclical - arguments are going around in circles, and the same things are being regurgitated.

If you're so negative about this protest, please wait until after the event actually happens to have a good old moan because no one knows what the outcome is going to be. Pessimistic and cynical predictions are really not helping anyone at all, they just create unecessary drama.

We want this protest to work, and we truly believe it can. I am fed up with the negativity.
little birds.
Salute You in Your Grave
little birds.
May 25th, 2008 at 03:18am
Some people have made these videos. Please post them around, to get the word out that there will be no mass suicide on May 31st:
one
two
=]
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 25th, 2008 at 04:28am
I totally agree with earthtothemorgue & i am graveyard.

I'd only feel cynical about the protest if I felt that the protest represents all MCR fans. Which is not the case. We only represent those fans who feel the need to protest and have a voice.

there was this Independant newspaper article I read that said something like "the Daily Mail uses fear to sell papers". You know what? that journalist was spot on. They are creating spectacle out of a part of society to sell papers. Shrewd, unethical businessmen.
Mrs.Halloween
Salute You in Your Grave
Mrs.Halloween
May 25th, 2008 at 04:31am
i think the idea of using it to help raise money for the Samaritans sounds really good. and even though people's opinions have clashed, it sort of seems like the birth of the charity idea came out of that, y'know x).
Smile

So Pretty Burning.:
Some people have made these videos. Please post them around, to get the word out that there will be no mass suicide on May 31st:
one
two
=]

thanks so much for posting that!!
*starts spreading videos around myspace...*
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 25th, 2008 at 04:39am
^ yes, that what I thought too! Opinions from either perspectives can sometimes prove valuable. A charity initiative incorporated into the protest makes it a bit more meaningful...sorta saying- "we are not what you say we are so we're gonna show you!"
purveyors of dreams.
Salute You in Your Grave
purveyors of dreams.
May 25th, 2008 at 04:53am
The one week I'm too busy to go on INO, this much has happened. I'm a cynic so I'll admit here that I'm a but fearful of this protest not working out well. But I'm also immensely proud of how everyone has united to defend MCR. I remember times when sections of INO have fought over certain things happening like ecutz and the chile thing so it's heartwarming to see how united the MCRmy still is.

I'd do something for the protest but I live all the way in Singapore. I wish you guys the best of luck in getting our messages across! Stay calm and peaceful! And show them that no matter how sad and depressed and horrible life is for some, 'nothing is worth killing yourself over', Music Can Revive you. : D

I expect details and videos! (:
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 25th, 2008 at 05:01am
august rush.:
I remember times when sections of INO have fought over certain things happening

well not much has changed, unfortunately.
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
May 25th, 2008 at 05:36am
Urgh... I woke up again for the second morning in a row planning how to get to London in my head, and I just don't think I can do it, how much does that suck. Sad I would just have to stay at least one night, I can't travel at least 8 hours there and 8 back on public transport. *Sulk* The only coaches I can find all the last ones are about 11:00pm. Argh... So wish I could drive right now.

I'm starting to dislike the divide INO is experiencing over this, it just seems so pointless. Enough people are attacking MCR fans from outisde, I really don't think we need to attack each other from within.

I really like the idea of collecting for a charity, that way it's not only protesting the negative but helping the positive. Smile