Don't have an account? Create one!

The MCR London protest. Who's going?

AuthorMessage
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
May 25th, 2008 at 06:19am
Rules.:

2) We expect respect on this website. For everyone here, whether you are a n00b, a long time poster, a moderator or admin. Everyone deserves respect. Treat others as you would expect to be treated. If you do that, there should be no problems. Half the problems that occur on this site are because people do not respect each other. Keep that in mind and think before you post. If you don't have anything nice to say keep your mouth shut or rather, your fingers off the keys. Respect also includes crediting people who may make you avatars/signatures.

4) Flaming is a total no-no. . If you have an issue with bullying or flaming please contact a Moderator as soon as possible to sort this out. You can find a link to the moderators on the bottom of the page. Please try to keep your drama to a minimum. If you need to sort things out with a user, PM them instead of spamming threads. Remember, flaming will get you banned, so watch what you say to people while doing so.

I'm just seeing that things are kinda escalating in here... Please stick by the rules or I think this topic might be locked....

............*goes back to lurking.*
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 25th, 2008 at 06:57am
I would just like to say something.

Okay, so maybe this protest is a bad idea in some peoples' heads. But this means a lot for me, it means standing up for something that I believe in, and if that's wrong, if that's a crime, then shoot me. Just shoot me, because if I can't stand up for what I believe is right, for what I want to do, there's no point living in this world.
Sure, there will be people who oppose my idea, but they have no right to tell me whether it's stupid or not, and that I shouldn't do it. It's got nothing to do with them. If they don't want to see or hear me doing it, they can go somewhere else, thank you very much.
If I'm told I should go campaign about something more worthy, I'll tell them; This is worthy to me. If you think it's unworthy, and something else should be protested about, go organise a protest yourself. Trust me, it's stressful. Stop sitting in front of the computer screen and whining at me. Go do something yourself, and let me sit and whine and shout and complain that it's unworthy, that it's useless, that you're a 'silly little kid'. See how you like it.

/rant
I'm proud of myself. No profanity at all.
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
May 25th, 2008 at 07:01am
^ HELL YEAH! Clap

Go Jenny!

I agree with everything you just said (:

edit:/ Very professional Tehe
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
May 25th, 2008 at 07:07am
earth2themorgue:

go cure aids, then we'll talk.

I love you for saying that. In Love

It really made my day Tehe
Bess Houdini
Fabulous Killjoy
Bess Houdini
May 25th, 2008 at 08:27am
CAcT '-.-' tux:
I totally agree with earthtothemorgue & i am graveyard.

I'd only feel cynical about the protest if I felt that the protest represents all MCR fans. Which is not the case. We only represent those fans who feel the need to protest and have a voice.

Yes, but to those outside of this message board and the MCR community, people will take it as though you guys are representative of all MCR fans.

Look, when I was in 8th, 9th and 10th grade, way back in the day, I got picked on and beat up for the way I dressed and the music I listened to, which included, primarily, MCR. I didn't tell. I didn't throw punches back. I ignored them, went on with my day, now 3, 4 years later, the kids who made fun of me either don't even remember who I am, or they're my friends now-- or they're bitter and jaded and working in the local drug store and are still calling me "scene". The Daily Mail is not much more than a high school bully with nothing better to do with their time. And like a high school bully, if you ignore them, they'll get bored and go away.

That's just the way I see it.
we are unbreakable
Killjoy
we are unbreakable
May 25th, 2008 at 11:31am
Just to say this protest is not just about MCR it’s to raise awareness over the ignorance installed into the minds of the daily mail readers who now believe any teen wearing converses and a band t-shirt is in a cult. After there first article on emo I was out shopping with my friend in Glasgow and these random people walked past us and called us life haters and TBH I love my life and I don’t what anyone to think any different.
Mrs.Halloween
Salute You in Your Grave
Mrs.Halloween
May 25th, 2008 at 11:47am
i have a load of similar stories. i've been out before [and this has happened in different towns] and random people have just come up to myself and friends and yelled 'fucking emo' in my face, or told me to go slash my wrists.
i personally find it quite humorous, but at the same time, you have to wonder what the media has done to society, when it pigeonholes people into one certain group and labels them as self-harmers or suicial, based solely on what music they listen to, or how they dress, and so on.

so yeah maybe this protest, as well as sticking up for the band and giving out an anti-self-harm messege, will show people who may have mis-conceptions, that actually, if you listen to mcr, or you dress in a lot of black/band merch, it doesn't necessarily make you a depressed person...or however we're perceived.
i'm actually extremely happy Very Happy
heh.

and i'm hoping some of the organisers can get together on msn or something tonight, so we can talk about bringing in the idea of using the protest also to raise money for charity. a lot could be done here; if you think about it, there's already more than 500 people signed up to participate. even if all we got was a pound from those 500 people, we'll have rasied £500 already.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 25th, 2008 at 11:48am
Ignore
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 25th, 2008 at 11:56am
I Am A Graveyard.:
...So, someone is trying to make a difference. You don't like what they're trying to do? Get off your butt and go do something that you think is important that makes a difference. Don't just sit there behind a computer screen, whining and bitching about what someone else is trying to do...And people wonder why nobody has the balls to get up and do anything these days? It's because other people seem to enjoy shooting them down, saying "THAT's not important. THIS is what's important." Sure, maybe it's important to YOU, but that doesn't mean it's important to everybody. If everybody stood up for what they believed in, the world would be a lot better place.

I couldn't motherfucking agree more. Well fucking said. Okay my two cents, since this bullshit has now overshadowed everything else MCR did this week:

The Daily Mail is NOT entitled to this "opinion" - which by the way they are presenting as fact. The Daily Mail is alarming other parents into believing that if their child wears studded belts or buys a Good Charlotte album, they are part of a "suicide cult" and that self-harm is part of some initiation rite! The Daily Mail is a newspaper, not a Weird Planet or a Star, and the beauty of dwelling within any democracy is the right of its inhabitants to call to task irresponsible and dishonest journalism.

The Daily Mail is perpetuating the scarlet letter mentality that got Sophie Lancaster killed - remember her? She died too, and she also had parents. It's a lynch mob mentality which intelligent societies are supposed to have outgrown.

Yes, Hannah's death is a tragedy, and the best suggestion I heard so far was to take up a side collection for TWLOHA, however, there is nothing wrong with what the fandom has decided to do - to march on the stairs of this periodical. I have namechecked these "journalists" on my page and created blogs on both buzznet and livejournal railing against their monstrous ignorance.

Standing up for what you believe in, no matter WHAT it is, is a basic human right, but in this particular case, this belief hurts no one! The band and its fans are not to blame for Hannah's death - mental illness is. I see no reason why that reality should not be driven home, and these exploitive editors be called to task for abusing the naked grief of a family to perpetuate their own narrowminded agenda.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
May 25th, 2008 at 11:59am
ben bernanke.:

Thank you! This is what I've been trying to say all along, but you said it much better than I could have, and managed to do it without profanity.

EDIT: ^ Deb, I love you.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 25th, 2008 at 12:03pm
Is the protest website down for anyone else aswell?
Because I've been trying to plan my route and it won't let me on and judging thisI have a feeling it was the trolls.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 25th, 2008 at 12:18pm
Ha! Go look at that site now
jessie.
Salute You in Your Grave
jessie.
May 25th, 2008 at 12:21pm
DecimatedDreams:
^ HELL YEAH! Clap
Go Jenny!
I agree with everything you just said (:
edit:/ Very professional Tehe
Day Old Hate
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Day Old Hate
May 25th, 2008 at 12:49pm
Deb:
Ha! Go look at that site now

Oh my God, that pic is disgusting Sad

I'm sorry if anyone thought my post on here was me judging anyone who was going to take part in the protest... I honestly do support and respect anyone with the strength and will who is going through with it. I just think it's going to take a lot of crowd control, esp. with the younger teenybopper audience.
Good luck though!
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 25th, 2008 at 01:13pm
Day Old Hate:
Yep - real class acts, these people.
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
May 25th, 2008 at 01:16pm
Day Old Hate:

I completely agree.

That is horrible, disgusting and just plain gross. Why the hell would they do that?

Urgh, it makes me sick.
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
May 25th, 2008 at 01:20pm
Bess Houdini:
Look, when I was in 8th, 9th and 10th grade, way back in the day, I got picked on and beat up for the way I dressed and the music I listened to, which included, primarily, MCR. I didn't tell. I didn't throw punches back. I ignored them, went on with my day, now 3, 4 years later, the kids who made fun of me either don't even remember who I am, or they're my friends now-- or they're bitter and jaded and working in the local drug store and are still calling me "scene". The Daily Mail is not much more than a high school bully with nothing better to do with their time. And like a high school bully, if you ignore them, they'll get bored and go away. That's just the way I see it.

This actually quite upset me. I was bullied in school for completely different reasons. Or should I say people tried to bully me. I never took it, people would give me grief as much as they could and I became the stronger person, I was smarter than them, anything I said back made them look really stupid. I proved to them almost every time that I was not a victim, and that I would not let them beat me. I never resorted to violence, I never have and I never will.

I know people who I was in high school with and I never knew what a miserable time they had, I wish I would have known then. I was strong and I had my friends, and most of the time we had alot more fun than the 'popular' people anyway.

Maybe this whole daily mail issue is like the different kind of bullying that people experience. You can just sit back and wait for it to move on, that is anyone's option. The other option is to stand tall and to show that you aren't weak, show your outrage and upset. I think different people take these things differently. This protest is a way for people who feel wronged by a national paper to do something.

Negative opionions about 'Emos' do cause discrimination in society as posters above have said. I work with young children and the other day I heard a nine year old boy saying to another girl because she stated her like for MCR and the Foo Fighters "Oh are you an Emo now? You gonna start cutting your wrists and crying all the time, where's your mascara?"
At this point alot of the other children joined in. Because, well because i'm me, I sat all the children down and had them listen to a lecture from myself about discrimination against the 'Emo culture'. I made them aware that people were being seriously hurt because of beliefs like that, that my friend a couple of years ago was badly beaten because of the way she dressed. This little girl is smart and kind, she is respectful to adults, and she is treated this way because of one statement she chose to make.

Children get enough negative incorrect messages from other sources, they don't need it from publications claiming to be posting 'the truth'. If the paper had attacked any other part of society in this way there would be an uproar. In my opinion, because the 'Emo culture' is mostly made up of teenagers, they thought they could get away with it.

Wow, sorry for the essay, I just had alot of opinions buzzing through my head. Lol, as people can probobly see I am not the type to just sit and take something.
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
May 25th, 2008 at 01:20pm
Whoops. Double Post.

Edit: While it's here. I can't believe people are not content with those ghastly youtube vids they are now trying to take down the website, Urgh. If anyone needs to get a life it's them. Protesting protesters? ... Urgh.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 25th, 2008 at 01:23pm
^ Personally, ignoring bullies didn't work for me all through primary school. They thought I was an easy target, so kept coming back. During secondary school, I learned to stand up for myself and not take their shit, and now I never get bullied, because they know they won't get away with it.
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
May 25th, 2008 at 01:33pm
I've never been bullied so I don't know what works best, but I would like to think if i did get bullied I would stand up for myself and to show them they can't do shit to me. This is what the protest is all about, showing the Daily Mail they aren't any better than the rest of us, they can't push us around and that we can bounce back and stand up for ourselves. They need to know they can't get away with things like this and if a protest is the only way to show it then so be it.