Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 25th, 2008 at 05:56am
^I gotta say I'm really glad to hear you to talk of your differences and appologize about anything past said. Its a really great example of how we all should function on this site.

Now, I really can't see how there is really even a debate between opinons of "Saved or Not Saved." Can one really tell some one it's not true? The whole "Music didn't stop a bullet" argument is just plain dumb. It's retorical, obvious, and in my veiw, not needed in this disscusion as it is a waste of time. I am also surprised how strong people are in their replys against being saved. I've said this before and I'll say it agian; Could you imagine telling a devot Christian that Jesus did not ACTUALLY save them, but it was really decided to change and thus saved themselves?

I believe Music can act as a subconsious cure for psycological problems, like a harmonic placebo effect. In the idea if some one listens to music and it helps fill a whole inside themselves . And they consiously think "Wow this really helps me feel better" Then subconsiously their body would actually feel better because of their beliefs. In all sense of literalness, the music caused a response in a person to come to believe they were saved. Physically the body did the work, but it would not be possible without music

Now I would not say that MCR saved me, but Music in general defentatly saved me from a pointless life. There is no denying it, it is who I am.

Ah Miguel, this is probably a bad idea now, but I really want to hear your response, so here goes:
Hellmigz:
But your wrong again they are as bad as Hannah Montana or the Jonas brothers, they're just suited to a different audience much like when you go to a restaurant everyone picks a different meal suited to their taste, you again have shown your musical elitism by putting mcr above hannah montana even though they are guilty of the very same thing. My chemical romance are signed to a major label that mass produces their album and ships to every consumer driven country in the world. Rock and more particularly the Beatles are as guilty as this, they make money and thats the bottom line.

:a total reference to literature or mythology: Tupac constantly makes reference to Niccolò Machiavelli, a poet and playright . He even goes as far as refering to himself as "makaveli"
inspired by a dream maaan have you listend to outkast ?! faaah
humorous and Non-senseicalEvery single beastie boys song. is just random and hilarious
[b[the equal of a Rock Opera[/b] i dno if its a complete equal but alot of the stuff on Outkasts speakerboxx/the love below is a bit of an opera
an InstrumentalThe Roots are hip hop band that play with instruments much like gym class heroes but not crap. They play instrumental jam sessions all the time, why the other month i saw them play a rendition of star spangled banner on the daily show.
[b[meant as a lullaby[/b] show me how many rock songs are intentionally meant to be a lullabye

When I walk into BlockBuster, I see Hannah Montana stuff for sale. It gets pretty crazy with the variety of stuff produced with her face on it and where it is sold. I would not even describe it as selling out for it has always been a part of her career. She is simply a puppet for the business would to brainwash her audience and get them to tune in, buy tickets, and redecorate their bedrooms. I do not believe MCR to do the same. They make money, as do all major bands. How could any lover of music be against this? I’m not opposed to them doing well, or fitting in, or advocating something. MCR seams to have a purpose a side from raking in the dough. I can’t say the same for Miley Syrus

Cool to know more about Tupac, glad to hear such is true.
Outkast? Nope. But I’ll keep a note of that
I can appreciate that, but I have trouble holding them with “I Am The Walrus” or “SWLABR”
That’s pretty damn cool, I had no idea. I’d love to hear a rendition of the star spangled banner.
My random rock knowledge is limited, but I can easily think of several examples for each of such questions I asked compared to your single. Maybe you were only giving short answers…

I must admit the word “Intention” was wrong of me to say. I cannot speak truthfully of intention of such songs. I should have said “effortlessly functional as a lullaby”
The two songs that come to me, that could easily have been intended and used to sing one to sleep are
Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix
“Butterflies and Zebras and Moonbeams. And Fairytales, that’s all she ever thinks about.
Never Never Land by Todd Rundgren
“I know a place where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Its not on any chart, you must find it in your heart….”
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 25th, 2008 at 08:01am
KingRex:

When I walk into BlockBuster, I see Hannah Montana stuff for sale. It gets pretty crazy with the variety of stuff produced with her face on it and where it is sold. I would not even describe it as selling out for it has always been a part of her career. She is simply a puppet for the business would to brainwash her audience and get them to tune in, buy tickets, and redecorate their bedrooms. I do not believe MCR to do the same. They make money, as do all major bands. How could any lover of music be against this? I’m not opposed to them doing well, or fitting in, or advocating something. MCR seams to have a purpose a side from raking in the dough. I can’t say the same for Miley Syrus

Cool to know more about Tupac, glad to hear such is true.
Outkast? Nope. But I’ll keep a note of that
I can appreciate that, but I have trouble holding them with “I Am The Walrus” or “SWLABR”
That’s pretty damn cool, I had no idea. I’d love to hear a rendition of the star spangled banner.
My random rock knowledge is limited, but I can easily think of several examples for each of such questions I asked compared to your single. Maybe you were only giving short answers…

I must admit the word “Intention” was wrong of me to say. I cannot speak truthfully of intention of such songs. I should have said “effortlessly functional as a lullaby”
The two songs that come to me, that could easily have been intended and used to sing one to sleep are
Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix
“Butterflies and Zebras and Moonbeams. And Fairytales, that’s all she ever thinks about.
Never Never Land by Todd Rundgren
“I know a place where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Its not on any chart, you must find it in your heart….”

But your not taking into consideration demographics. Her projected age group are like 6 - 13 + and the products on the market are just aimed at those age groups. People who buy my chemical romance merch and so on aren't interested in things like wallpaper, bedspreads,lunch boxes and stuff. The marketing directors understand that people who listen to MCR aren't kids.

If you walk into any hot topic you'd probably see a whole bunch of stuff to
promote various bands' music. T-Shirts, posters and so on. Thats because teens love this sort of stuff. You failed to see that there are just different marketing ploys for different kinda Musical outfit.

You have to face the truth that everyone from My Chem to Miley, The Ramones to the Jonas brothers are all as you say " puppets" to make money. They each have their own forms of promotional Media whether it be a dvd, or poster or a lunch box, no one is free from this.

Whose to say that the character was invented to project a positive stereotype
for young girls. Although the actress playing her hasn't really done so.

Im well versed in Hendrix, I know the licks for Little Wing. And what good are those lyrics to you ? they provide no insight to anything, rather are just manifestations of Jimi's well known love of cannabis and Lsd

Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 25th, 2008 at 10:26am
Let me just state real quick that no amount of music is going to cure a chemical imbalance in your brain. What's going to cure that is the introduction of the chemical that's missing. Either by drugs or by your own body, but music by itself won't do that.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 25th, 2008 at 11:09am
^^ I agree, its probably a scientific fact that a chemical imbalance in your brain will probably be equaled out by a drug. I dont think any amount of stimulation could force your body to correct that sort of imbalance. If it were that easy there would be a lower number of people who are bi polar.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 25th, 2008 at 01:57pm
^Haven't you guys ever heard of the placebo-effect? It is a well tested theory and used quite often. The body simply makes itself better without even knowing it caused by an inert substance or cure. I don't see why Music could not be included.

Hellmigz:

But your not taking into consideration demographics. Her projected age group are like 6 - 13 + and the products on the market are just aimed at those age groups. People who buy my chemical romance merch and so on aren't interested in things like wallpaper, bedspreads,lunch boxes and stuff. The marketing directors understand that people who listen to MCR aren't kids.

If you walk into any hot topic you'd probably see a whole bunch of stuff to
promote various bands' music. T-Shirts, posters and so on. Thats because teens love this sort of stuff. You failed to see that there are just different marketing ploys for different kinda Musical outfit.

You have to face the truth that everyone from My Chem to Miley, The Ramones to the Jonas brothers are all as you say " puppets" to make money. They each have their own forms of promotional Media whether it be a dvd, or poster or a lunch box, no one is free from this.

Whose to say that the character was invented to project a positive stereotype
for young girls. Although the actress playing her hasn't really done so.

Im well versed in Hendrix, I know the licks for Little Wing. And what good are those lyrics to you ? they provide no insight to anything, rather are just manifestations of Jimi's well known love of cannabis and Lsd

I highly doubt that. I’m sure you know that MCR has amazingly crazy fans and already have a ton of merch. I’m not against hot topic or any other merch distributor, how could anybody be? It is simply an outlet and they have a specific purpose. I think it’s weird when it goes above and beyond such boundaries. You’re right, it’s a demographic, but her audience doesn’t even get a choice. They are simply brainwashed into believing that they must by all the crap and watch every show to be cool. I cannot understand how you can compare Miley and the Ramones just cause they both sell t-shirts. One is a hardass English punk band and the other is a corporate money making medusa. In your opinion, all paid musicians are all in the same category because they make money. I hold different and much more specific opinions.

That’s cool, I only but the lyrics up as an example for what I was talking about for who ever else is reading this. No, it is not just manifestations of LSD. It is a beautiful song that tells a story (as do a lot of Hendrix songs) of manifestation of a beautiful woman and how she helps him. Along with amazing imagery and sound collaboration. Maybe you know it is speculated that it was written about his Mother. But after reading a biography of his I disagree, for while she was part Cherokee, it is the only real quality that fits the song.

You have spoken of my “biased opinion basing Rock over Rap,” and lack of understanding for rap. Well I believe the expression of your unawareness of the meaning of Little Wing shows your lack of musical knowledge when it comes to rap. If all you can see is drugs, then I don’t know how you could see anything different in any other Hendrix song. And believe you are asleep to a greater world of musical expression.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 25th, 2008 at 06:01pm
KingRex:
^Haven't you guys ever heard of the placebo-effect? It is a well tested theory and used quite often. The body simply makes itself better without even knowing it caused by an inert substance or cure. I don't see why Music could not be included.

I said by drugs or by your own body. Implying one's own body fixing the imbalance by itself. I do believe that the placebo effect is a viable means of medicine, but the thing is, it's often used as a fluid or pill. You know, "Drink this, take this, you'll feel better." I'm not sure if doctors can sit someone down and convince them, "Here, listen to this song by MCR. Your depression will go away." However, I do know that classical music has been proven to help ease stress and stimulate thinking...still, that's not exactly saving a person's life.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 25th, 2008 at 06:11pm
KingRex:
I highly doubt that. I’m sure you know that MCR has amazingly crazy fans and already have a ton of merch. I’m not against hot topic or any other merch distributor, how could anybody be? It is simply an outlet and they have a specific purpose. I think it’s weird when it goes above and beyond such boundaries. You’re right, it’s a demographic, but her audience doesn’t even get a choice. They are simply brainwashed into believing that they must by all the crap and watch every show to be cool. I cannot understand how you can compare Miley and the Ramones just cause they both sell t-shirts. One is a hardass English punk band and the other is a corporate money making medusa. In your opinion, all paid musicians are all in the same category because they make money. I hold different and much more specific opinions.

Ah, but couldn't one then say that you were being brainwashed by being offered MCR merch 24/7? You're a demographic of MCR. What you may not realize is that their ads and attitude and clothing and music and merch is directly aimed at you and anyone else your age. They have publicists, and their jobs are to find out what sells to MCR's fans and install these factors in every element of MCR. Do you honestly think there's a difference between Miley Cyrus's manager making her wear cute girly clothes and MCR "agreeing" to wear those Black Parade uniforms for an entire tour? It's all publicity.

(tangent)
Also, I think it could be very easy for people to have something against hot topic. For instance, they used to stock much more music than they do now (we're talking in the 90's) and now they almost solely exist to sell Tripp chain pants and neon t-shirts to teenagers. Some people might see this as selling out.
(/tangent)

Also, I wouldn't call the Ramones a "hardass...punk band." I mean, you aren't exactly sticking it to society by selling your band tshirts in targets all over the nation, are you? I see a fat money cow there just as well as with Miley Cyrus. It's not that the musicians are being paid that makes them similar, it's that they've sold out for so much money they're nothing more than products. Don't believe me? Ask those people wearing those Target Ramones shirts how many songs they actually know. "I Fought the Law?" C'mon. (Though, I'd hardly call Miley Cyrus a musician. I mean, she doesn't play and she can't sing.)
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 25th, 2008 at 09:55pm
Faye Merci:
I mean, you aren't exactly sticking it to society by selling your band tshirts in targets all over the nation, are you? I see a fat money cow there just as well as with Miley Cyrus. It's not that the musicians are being paid that makes them similar, it's that they've sold out for so much money they're nothing more than products. Don't believe me? Ask those people wearing those Target Ramones shirts how many songs they actually know. "I Fought the Law?" C'mon. (Though, I'd hardly call Miley Cyrus a musician. I mean, she doesn't play and she can't sing.)

I'd have to agree with the statement about Target. Not too long ago (here in Australia anyway) Target used to stock Rolling Stones merch in the form of t-shirts. And it's not as if they were in the women's wear section, they were in the girls' section, aimed at 7 - 14 year olds. I used to see so many tweens and pre-teens wearing these RS tees and going... I bet they can't even name all of the members of RS. It used to really annoy me, but I think they've stopped stocking them now. Sorry if this is spam-my, but when I saw it I had to agree.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 26th, 2008 at 12:11am
KingRex:

That’s cool, I only but the lyrics up as an example for what I was talking about for who ever else is reading this. No, it is not just manifestations of LSD. It is a beautiful song that tells a story (as do a lot of Hendrix songs) of manifestation of a beautiful woman and how she helps him. Along with amazing imagery and sound collaboration. Maybe you know it is speculated that it was written about his Mother. But after reading a biography of his I disagree, for while she was part Cherokee, it is the only real quality that fits the song.

You have spoken of my “biased opinion basing Rock over Rap,” and lack of understanding for rap. Well I believe the expression of your unawareness of the meaning of Little Wing shows your lack of musical knowledge when it comes to rap. If all you can see is drugs, then I don’t know how you could see anything different in any other Hendrix song. And believe you are asleep to a greater world of musical expression.

First off, The Ramones are from New York ?!. Just thought I'd address that because when i read it i sorta flinched.

The children are not being brainwashed ? they are of an age where when they enjoy one particular thing they will obviously obsess over it. With me it was pokemon cards when i was a kid, and i went out and bought every piece of pokemon merch i could find. Your comparing the demographics in the wrong way yes they are both consumers but at the same time both have different patterns of thought. Whilst teens have the luxury of enjoying something in moderation children of course are bound to what ever they love the most be it dinosaurs or miley sirus

And yeah you can go around and see there are a butt load of people who wear Ramones T-shirts but have never heard any of the songs. There are countless people who wear Joe Strummer badges and shirts but cant name one other song than London Calling. The fact is like someone mentioned above even if their musical content seeks to inspire and provoke change, they're still money making cash cows.

If you had any proper idea you would understand, like with the rest of us Hendrix fans is that the story doesn't come from his words rather it comes from his amp. His lyrics are only supplementary to his playing and in that sense you have searched for the message in the wrong aspect. Everyone knows that his lyrical content was second fiddle, no one cared to listen to what he sang about, it was the twelve bar solos that he fit in in every song that mattered.

His singing was subpar and even Claptons admitted that his singing wasn't his attraction so in a way he never really put all the emphasis on what he wrote rather he would just write whatever drug fueled sentance came to mind. Hendrix's true and only point of expression was his guitar. And you can tell in Voodoo child (Slight Return) He plays longer than he sings
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 26th, 2008 at 02:29am
^Oh God, now I feel stupid. One adjective to many I guess. I think I was honestly thinking of the Sex Pistols when I was typing it. Oops!

Part of it is fitting in and just being guided into a audience. Pokemon only caught on because people said it was cool and then it manifested it self. I myself never cared about what was in at the moment and thought Pokemon was the dumbest thing I’d ever heard of. When I was younger I loved the Beatles, I was not fitting into any demographic, and I was not following along. I truly loved the them. True everyone needs something to hold dear, but at least I had good (actual) reason to feel so, instead of a hollow one like some bands today (MCR included for some individuals)

Yeah I can never stand when freshman were Hendrix shirts and only have four songs on their ipod, and NONE of them are live! That along with your example is the definition of a poser in my opinion. It has nothing to really do with the band. Its just people trying to fit in but not enough to really immerse themselves.

I totally get that, but. I meant that if all you hear are drug influenced lyrics, then you’re never gonna see a deeper meaning. A true drug song would be SWLABR (She Walks Like A Bearded Rainbow) by Cream, its non-sensical, surreal and totally inspired by an Acid Trip. Drugs were a major part of creative song writing back then (and now) and I don’t think you should hold it against the artist. If the song rocks, so what if they were high?

In my opinion any true fan would love Hendrix in all aspects of expression, not just his amp. If your not gonna take in the whole song then that’s border line poser to me.
Well of course the lyrics come second to the Greatest Guitar Player Of All Time, it doesn’t mean its worthless though. Hendrix was always self conscious of his voice, it was many years before he ever sang live, and had a rule that no one was in the booth when he was recording vocals.

The guitar was the number one part of any concert, and what people wanted to hear. But I believe that most people ONLY listening to the guitar, were doing so only because they were so blown away by it, not cause they didn’t care about anything else. When writing and playing he was most concerned with fitting colors and moods that matched the sounds. That is why they are so commonly used in his writing.

Um yeah, he plays way longer then he sings in about every song ever. Actually most of his Experience songs were much longer then the cut versions. Chas said they were to long and wouldn’t get played as much if Jimi kept writing verse after verse. As you may know, Purple Haze was originally Purple Haze/Jesus Saves.

If you haven’t looked into them, the live versions of Voodoo Child SR at Woodstock and especially Berkeley are 100% times better then the studio cut. (He sings a few extra verses at Berkeley) In my opinion if you haven’t heard Hendrix live, you haven’t heard him. The studio cuts are like templates where in which he would use and transcend from them on stage.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 26th, 2008 at 08:32am

Yeah you really should watch what your talking about when you talk Ramones.

Well good for you if you loved the Beatles, thats your prerogative (Do you want a medal?). Many other kids enjoyed Pokemon, we didn't care what was cool or what would keep you popular or what made you a poser. We just cared about Pokemon because we loved it. There's no reason why you should consider your self in some sense superior because you listened to the Beatles when you were a kid, Plenty of us did as well and that doesn't make us any more special than anyone else that listened to the Beatles. Whats wrong with enjoying Pokemon you said you had an actual reason to hold on to something ? are you implying that enjoying Pokemon made me something lesser than the oh so cool hip kid that listens to the Beatles? Pokemon to me was massive i loved every aspect, and i still hold it to be one of the most important things in my childhood and ill never falter to admit that because at the time i wasn't wrapped up in all this poser,what looks cool, and conformist crap. I was just a kid.

The fact is Children are Children. If they wanna watch Hannah Montana and buy lunch boxes and sing all her songs so be it. If they want to spend that half an hour in the morning watching their favorite cheesy Anime then play the game boy game well so be it. They don't have to go out and fight against Corporate America or fight for their own identity in a sea of sheep'ism, because they're kids for crying out loud. You seem to forget that in your war against Miley Sirus and tween pop music.

Why rip into people with only four Hendrix songs on their ipod ? At least they are listening to Hendrix. Time and time again you exercise your painfully obvious habit of being an Elitist. Just because you have Countless Hendrix songs and the corresponding bootlegs doesn't make you any better than the freshman wearing the chatty 10 dollar fake Korean made Hendrix tee with the Four crappy sound quality lime wire downloaded Hendrix songs. Right down to it, he is taking his time to listen to those songs whether they be recorded versions or the god knows how long extended solo versions recorded at Woodstock. There is no such thing as poser, there are only people who consider themselves slightly better because they have more recordings or have read more about the artist, this is why people are at times scared to get into an artist, because they are scared to get flamed by well listened fans.

And yes Ive listened to those bootlegs and Ive played my own extended versions of both songs for music assignments at school. Trust me I'm no stranger to Hendrix ,Cream, Zeppelin, Floyd and the countless other 60s -70s Hard rock acts.

John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 26th, 2008 at 09:05am
Beautifully said

Did you really, as a 6 or 7 year old, ever think that you have to like something because 'it was cool'

No , or at least i never. Because as a kid, you like what you like because you thought it rocked.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
July 26th, 2008 at 01:44pm
Okay, I know Im going to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me for this, but I did leave this board just for stating my opinion, but Im going to try and be strong and state it.

Well, I am a very opinionated person. And I can honestly think that Miley Cyrus is a horrible role model for young girls, and I do agree that they are all brainwashed. Same with the Jonas Brothers. I have heard them in interviews that my little sister watches 24/7 that they have said "We put on the best rock show", When many of my friends and even some INO members agree, they arent rock at all.

One day, I simply stated my opinion on them in my AIM profile and I said that I didnt think they were rock and that people were brainwashed by their "so-called beauty" and Im not going to lie, because I did say this without any regret. But then my friend, whom I have known since kindergarten, that is obsessed with Jonas Brothers, IM's me saying I was wrong, and that they are insanely hot. I was getting very angry. But I decided to be subtle, saying that I just stated my opinion.

She started calling me a poser for not like them. That set me off. I told her I was tired of being called emo, and that when someone bashes the music i like its okay, but when I say my opinion about the Jonas Brothers it is the end of the world.
I told her that I was an induvidual. and I even gave her reasons when she asked me to prove it. I told her that I thought for my self, I like different bands, I am one who doesnt like the Jonas Brothers and a whole bunch of other reasons.

Now. I know that it is one person's mopinion to say whatever they like or w.e., but I think it gets too far when someone can bash one band and its no big deal, but when someone bashes the most popular band on earth, its the end of the world.
That was the point of the story
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 26th, 2008 at 02:01pm
Hey, you expressed your opinion here well and maturely. I respect it for sure, and not just because I agree with your dislike.

Wikipedia says that "Brainwashing (also known as thought reform or as re-education) consists of any effort aimed at instilling certain attitudes and beliefs in a person — beliefs sometimes unwelcome or in conflict with the person's prior beliefs and knowledge."

"Brainwashing" is probably not the right word. It's really just an assault on your mind from all angles, which of course young children are sensitive to (that sure helps their cause but is also an assault on the wallet, haha). But they are not being made to believe some alternate reality or anything of that sort. It's really just like any other advertising. It just happens that it's marketed towards youngsters who typically have parents with enough money to get them what they want, so it works. It's also true that both Miley and the Jonas brothers are Disney by-products, which gives them that much more mainstream success because everyone believes they are to be trusted, which means that parents can like them too without setting a "poor example." Whether or not this is true remains to be seen, of course (like those steamy shots Miley took for - what was it, Vanity Fair?).

Anyhow, I think if we're going to discuss bands and the music industry in general tweaking the population with advertising, we need to be a little more broad. This is surely not an offense only committed by Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers! And as you can see, it is not just tweens and teens being affected by this. Ever had a look at that thread we have about MCR merch? How about other band merch? How about other industries? they do the same thing. iPods, cell phones, IKEA, cars, whatever. That was already brought up here though so I'll save my breath.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
July 26th, 2008 at 02:15pm
Chris Martin:
Hey, you expressed your opinion here well and maturely. I respect it for sure, and not just because I agree with your dislike.

It's also true that both Miley and the Jonas brothers are Disney by-products, which gives them that much more mainstream sccess because everyone believes they are to be trusted, which means tht parents can like them too without seting a "poor example." Whether or not this is true remains to be seen, of course (like those steamy shots Miley took for - what was it, Vanity Fair?).

Thank you, and I have to agree with you.
Whenever I listen to MCR, people think they are "druggies" or "freaks".
They see a little girl listening to "Nobody's Perfect" or whatever its called, and they think its the most adorable thing ever.

It seems to me as if parents seem to block out those pictures Miley did for Vanity Fair, and those disgusting pictures she supposibly took for Nick Jonas, (youtube), and then say Miley Cyrus is the best role model for young girls out there. Sorry for being repitive, but they are blocking out the bad things she has done, and ignoring better role models, like Lacey Mosely or Rennee Yohe with all they have overcome and where they are now.

Again, Im an uberly opinionated person
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 26th, 2008 at 02:24pm
heartbreak tragedy:
Well, I am a very opinionated person. And I can honestly think that Miley Cyrus is a horrible role model for young girls, and I do agree that they are all brainwashed.

While I agree with most of your views, I do oppose you on this one. Yes, she took very scandalous pictures, but I'd hardly call that a reason to reject her. She's a pretty good role model for girls. I mean, she's no Lindsay Lohan. She hasn't gone on a crazy drunk coke binge or gotten arrested for DUI (though I guess she can't drive yet anyways). She hasn't been caught making out with random guys or anything. Out of all the little starlets in Hollywood, she's pretty mellow. She's not doing drugs or putting her sex tapes on the internet. Though, she is young. You never know what might happen.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 26th, 2008 at 02:39pm
The only problem I have with Miley(Miley's not even her real name, she was born Destiny Hope Cyrus, she changed it so she could rhyme her name with smiley.) Cyrus/Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers is that all their music is so incredibly generic. It all sounds the same and it's all boring.

Though the amount of things that have Hannah Montana on them are a bit ridiculous, I mean you can get Hannah Montana prescription glasses. That just seems unnecessary.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 26th, 2008 at 02:47pm
Eponine:
The only problem I have with Miley(Miley's not even her real name, she was born Destiny Hope Cyrus, she changed it so she could rhyme her name with smiley.) Cyrus/Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers is that all their music is so incredibly generic. It all sounds the same and it's all boring.

Pop music is purposefully generic and bouncy because it's easier to understand. When you're a child, it's much easier mentally to listen to simple pop than something more complicated, say, classical music. It flows into the brain and continues to hang there because it's formulaic and easy to comprehend. That's why you progressively change the music you listen to. Over time, you can listen to more complex and interesting beats than before, and your mind can enjoy it too. Sadly, most good music does have levels of complexity, hence the reason young kids listen to so much crap.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 26th, 2008 at 03:01pm
Faye Merci:

Pop music is purposefully generic and bouncy because it's easier to understand. When you're a child, it's much easier mentally to listen to simple pop than something more complicated, say, classical music. It flows into the brain and continues to hang there because it's formulaic and easy to comprehend. That's why you progressively change the music you listen to. Over time, you can listen to more complex and interesting beats than before, and your mind can enjoy it too. Sadly, most good music does have levels of complexity, hence the reason young kids listen to so much crap.

True, but there are other pop artists who aren't quite as bad as those two. I think Katy Perry and Rihanna are much better then Miley/Hannah and the Jonas Brothers. Of course they're aimed at an older age group, so I guess most kids just can't handle good music.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 26th, 2008 at 03:27pm
Eponine:

Of course they're aimed at an older age group, so I guess most kids just can't handle good music.
I kinda think thats wrong to say.

It's like you saying that kids arn't smart enough to realise what good music is.

Good music is relative to the person, you cant define 'Good music'