Music

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 26th, 2008 at 04:03pm
Alan Carr:
Eponine:

Of course they're aimed at an older age group, so I guess most kids just can't handle good music.
I kinda think thats wrong to say.

It's like you saying that kids arn't smart enough to realise what good music is.

Good music is relative to the person, you cant define 'Good music'

I shouldn't have said good then, like what Faye Merci said, the more complex music that involves more skill than what Hannah Montana does.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 26th, 2008 at 05:16pm
I wanted to bring something up, although I'll probably just confuse myself.

This "better music" does indeed have further complexities than that of "Hannah Montana" for example, or even Rihanna. But most of these people do not write their own songs - they have songwriters, they buy songs. And that means someone who does NOTHING but write songs that will SELL is the one writing them - which is maybe why it's all generic and simple and easy for kids to relate to. it's a formula that they know will work, that Disney knows will make the moneys, and so on and so forth. So I suppose there is a skill there, in finding that formula without precisely copying so many other generic and similar things.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 26th, 2008 at 05:37pm
^I concur.
It also really doesn't matter how 'good' the music is, if you like it you like it.
Although I'm still amazed with the number of things with Hannah Montana on them.
The list is endless, everything from lunch boxes to hair weave. Next thing you know Flinstone vitamins are going to be replaced by Hanna Montana vitamins.
The girl does know how to make money though, she rakes in the moolah as Hannah and Miley.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
July 26th, 2008 at 10:58pm
i think it depends on the head of the person listening to it.. like if someone really happy listened to it it may make them like excited (maybe?) but if a depressed person listened to the mcr discography it may make them think like there are other people out there like me... i'm not alone. You know?
i Thnk MCR saves lives in the sense of inspiring and encoraging
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 26th, 2008 at 11:09pm
heartbreak tragedy:
It seems to me as if parents seem to block out those pictures Miley did for Vanity Fair, and those disgusting pictures she supposibly took for Nick Jonas, (youtube), and then say Miley Cyrus is the best role model for young girls out there. Sorry for being repitive, but they are blocking out the bad things she has done, and ignoring better role models, like Lacey Mosely or Rennee Yohe with all they have overcome and where they are now.

The pictures Miley did for Vanity Fair were not even bad pictures. I think someone would have to be extremely conservative to think those magazine pictures exposing her back are inappropriate. Most children see more skin down at the beach, or even on adverts.

And I dare say that those pictures of her "she took for Nick Jonas" were private photos that had nothing to do with her music. Nobody is perfect, and even though I'm not a fan of her music, I don't see why she still can't be a "role model".
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 27th, 2008 at 12:45am

^^ I agree i think there was far to much hubub about those photographs. They werent smutty at all infact i think it would be safe to say they are rather tasteful . I think there was too much comotion because of the fact she's on the disney channel

jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
July 27th, 2008 at 01:12am
Mindfuck:

The pictures Miley did for Vanity Fair were not even bad pictures. I think someone would have to be extremely conservative to think those magazine pictures exposing her back are inappropriate. Most children see more skin down at the beach, or even on adverts.

And I dare say that those pictures of her "she took for Nick Jonas" were private photos that had nothing to do with her music. Nobody is perfect, and even though I'm not a fan of her music, I don't see why she still can't be a "role model".

EITHER WAY, they did get leaked, and parents knew about them.
And yet, they STILL seem to think she is the perfect role model.
I can honestly see her ending up like Britney Spears, but thats just MY OPINION. and i am a very opinionated person.
But come on. she was laying across her father's chest! If you didnt know that was her father, what would you think? And did anyone ELSE notice that she didnt feel sorry about it until Disney complained?

My point is, her music&being on Diseny has the effect on parents that she is a good role model, when there are better ones out there
again
VERY OPINIONATED
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 27th, 2008 at 01:57am
heartbreak tragedy:
EITHER WAY, they did get leaked, and parents knew about them.
And yet, they STILL seem to think she is the perfect role model.
I can honestly see her ending up like Britney Spears, but thats just MY OPINION. and i am a very opinionated person.
But come on. she was laying across her father's chest! If you didnt know that was her father, what would you think? And did anyone ELSE notice that she didnt feel sorry about it until Disney complained?

My point is, her music&being on Diseny has the effect on parents that she is a good role model, when there are better ones out there
again
VERY OPINIONATED

First off, I want to ask why you feel the need to write "I AM VERY OPINIONATED" in every single post you post here? Okay. We. Get. It. No need to keep saying it.

/tangent.

On the Miley subject, the fact that the photoshoot was done with her father doesn't really have a negative effect on me. If someone thinks the pictures are wrong because she was laying across his chest, what does that say about the way they think? To me, the way they're thinking, i.e sexualising something that wasn't intended to be sexualised, is worse than the actual pictures.

I actually think some parents wouldn't mind those pictures with her dad. They're actually really emotive and they display a close father-daughter relationship. I think that should be commended, to be honest.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 27th, 2008 at 03:15am
Hellmigz:
Yeah you really should watch what your talking about when you talk Ramones.

Well good for you if you loved the Beatles, thats your prerogative (Do you want a medal?). Many other kids enjoyed Pokemon, we didn't care what was cool or what would keep you popular or what made you a poser. We just cared about Pokemon because we loved it. There's no reason why you should consider your self in some sense superior because you listened to the Beatles when you were a kid, Plenty of us did as well and that doesn't make us any more special than anyone else that listened to the Beatles. Whats wrong with enjoying Pokemon you said you had an actual reason to hold on to something ? are you implying that enjoying Pokemon made me something lesser than the oh so cool hip kid that listens to the Beatles? Pokemon to me was massive i loved every aspect, and i still hold it to be one of the most important things in my childhood and ill never falter to admit that because at the time i wasn't wrapped up in all this poser,what looks cool, and conformist crap. I was just a kid.

The fact is Children are Children. If they wanna watch Hannah Montana and buy lunch boxes and sing all her songs so be it. If they want to spend that half an hour in the morning watching their favorite cheesy Anime then play the game boy game well so be it. They don't have to go out and fight against Corporate America or fight for their own identity in a sea of sheep'ism, because they're kids for crying out loud. You seem to forget that in your war against Miley Sirus and tween pop music.

Why rip into people with only four Hendrix songs on their ipod ? At least they are listening to Hendrix. Time and time again you exercise your painfully obvious habit of being an Elitist. Just because you have Countless Hendrix songs and the corresponding bootlegs doesn't make you any better than the freshman wearing the chatty 10 dollar fake Korean made Hendrix tee with the Four crappy sound quality lime wire downloaded Hendrix songs. Right down to it, he is taking his time to listen to those songs whether they be recorded versions or the god knows how long extended solo versions recorded at Woodstock. There is no such thing as poser, there are only people who consider themselves slightly better because they have more recordings or have read more about the artist, this is why people are at times scared to get into an artist, because they are scared to get flamed by well listened fans.

And yes Ive listened to those bootlegs and Ive played my own extended versions of both songs for music assignments at school. Trust me I'm no stranger to Hendrix ,Cream, Zeppelin, Floyd and the countless other 60s -70s Hard rock acts.

Wow Miguel, I don’t know how many times I have to say this. For all our time spent here I try and answer your questions and follow your comments with my own the best I can. Instead of doing the same to me you simply come back and criticize me. What kind of debating skills are those?

You have got to be kidding….
All I was doing was following you up on this:
Hellmigz:
There are countless people who wear Joe Strummer badges and shirts but cant name one other song than London Calling

Your gonna tell me it’s wrong to be upset when a dude has four songs and eight shirts? I mean come on; he didn’t even know the song “Fire!” I agree with what you first said, but couldn’t I just say “at least they’re listening to Joe Stummer.” “Poser” has never been a word I’ve used until here and now. If you don’t like it fine, I wish there was a better one as well. Whatever you want to call it there are people who think they’re really into a band but when put into a real knowledgeable crowd they can’t hold up, cause they honestly know next to nothing. It’s great they like what they know, but if your gonna brag how much you love Hendrix, you better know what Woodstock WAS. Just my opinion.

I am not an Elitist. I do not think I better. Come on man, after all our discussions I really thought you knew me better. I am different. I have my opinions and I voice them. Sometimes the best way to do so is to us my own experiences. Of course I don’t want a metal for likening the Beatles. I was just showing that while I held a love for something, it wasn’t the latest major craze. If you really liked pokemon, fine, but it’s not like it was that hard to like it. I was trying to express that it’s possible for kids to actually have a childhood passion without it being a fad. I never said that kids have to go out and fight. I was only trying to say that Fads aren’t entirely necessary. As what ever is IN isn’t really needed (Unless you’re a greedy adult). And yes, I do hold a high respect for people who stuck through it against what everyone else was doing. If Pokemon was something frond upon, and you stuck with it cause you truly loved it (not cause you liked it and it made you a lot of friends, Not saying that’s true for you) then I would hold the same for you.

Man I don’t even know what we are talking about any more. You mentioned Pokemon, I expressed my views, and you get all crazy, like I’m putting you down and saying I’m God. Cause you think I inferred I was better then you. You were just a kid, and so was I.
What does that have to do with anything? I was trying to show the differences between Hannah Montanna and MCR and a Fad and a Passion. (A Fad can be a Passion, but its quite not always the case, Passion is in itself the definition.)

This really is getting dumb and thus quiet tiring. I could sure be exercising my use of vulgarity here, but I want this to remain civilized. In every discussion we’ve ever had, there always a cycle in which you take things WAY TO PERSONALLY, and I have to threaten not to join in these discussions. Which gets really old and makes me feel like I have to corral you, above all it is taking away from the topic at hand.

Honestly if all you’re gonna do is yelling at me for the opinions I have that you misunderstand. I DO NOT HAVE TO BE HERE. You asked me before why I wasn’t on much caused you missed our discussions. Well this better start functioning as an actual discussion where people express themselves and leave everything on the computer, instead of taking it to heart. As I have said before I am only trying to receive better understanding of your opinion and explain my own so you may understand it.
If you want to keep talking then please make a point to do so, as I will then start to enjoy this again and stick around.

^From now on I’m just gonna copy paste that whenever I think its going to far.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 27th, 2008 at 03:48am
Mindfuck:

On the Miley subject, the fact that the photoshoot was done with her father doesn't really have a negative effect on me. If someone thinks the pictures are wrong because she was laying across his chest, what does that say about the way they think? To me, the way they're thinking, i.e sexualising something that wasn't intended to be sexualised, is worse than the actual pictures.

I actually think some parents wouldn't mind those pictures with her dad. They're actually really emotive and they display a close father-daughter relationship. I think that should be commended, to be honest.

I think it looks just a tad sexual, just with the face she makes in the photos, and the way she is lying on her dad is, to me, really awkward. I would never lie on my dad like that. In the other photo, all she has covering her is a sheet. Even if it does cover her up I think it's inappropriate for a fifteen year old girl to be taking photos where her only clothing is a sheet.
As far as her music goes, like I said before, I think it's generic and boring, but I'm not going to judge someone just because they like it.

On another point, I've bought t-shirts from Target with the Ramones on them. I'm not a hardcore fan, I've heard a few of their songs, but I liked the t-shirt, so I bought it, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 27th, 2008 at 04:21am
^ Of course not, but if you start talkin bout how your goin crazy about them and such with the same reality. I do see it a difference then if your crazines was in a more warrented mannter.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 27th, 2008 at 04:45am
KingRex:
^ Of course not, but if you start talkin bout how your goin crazy about them and such with the same reality. I do see it a difference then if your crazines was in a more warrented mannter.

Well there's always going to be fake people like that, and you can't do much about it.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 27th, 2008 at 04:45am
Eponine:
I think it looks just a tad sexual, just with the face she makes in the photos, and the way she is lying on her dad is, to me, really awkward. I would never lie on my dad like that. In the other photo, all she has covering her is a sheet. Even if it does cover her up I think it's inappropriate for a fifteen year old girl to be taking photos where her only clothing is a sheet.
As far as her music goes, like I said before, I think it's generic and boring, but I'm not going to judge someone just because they like it.

I personally feel that it can only be seen as "awkward" and "sexual" if you let it be. Obviously that is how some people interpret it, but I would say their sexual interpretation of it is far worse than the supposed "inappropriateness" of the actual set up. For all we know, she may have a strong, close relationship with her dad - I'm definitely not meaning a sexual one, but a father-daughter relationship. And I personally feel that that was the message that was being presented with those photos.

blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 27th, 2008 at 05:37am
Mindfuck:

I personally feel that it can only be seen as "awkward" and "sexual" if you let it be. Obviously that is how some people interpret it, but I would say their sexual interpretation of it is far worse than the supposed "inappropriateness" of the actual set up. For all we know, she may have a strong, close relationship with her dad - I'm definitely not meaning a sexual one, but a father-daughter relationship. And I personally feel that that was the message that was being presented with those photos.

Her face just seems to have that kind of 'I'm trying to be sexy' look to it. I don't think that was the intention of the photo, I agree with you on the father-daughter relationship thing. I don't mind the photos, as said before she's a better role model then some of the other young female celebrities.
From Hero To Zero.
Jazz Hands
From Hero To Zero.
July 27th, 2008 at 08:07am
For me, it inspires me.

No more.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 27th, 2008 at 12:34pm
Eponine:
KingRex:

Well there's always going to be fake people like that, and you can't do much about it.

Right I know. I was only trying to show that such is true; they exist. As before Miguel said they did not while also trying to insult me in the same sentence. ~ Rex
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 27th, 2008 at 01:43pm
Alan Carr:
I kinda think thats wrong to say.

It's like you saying that kids arn't smart enough to realise what good music is.

Good music is relative to the person, you cant define 'Good music'

It's not that kids aren't smart enough, it's just that it takes a bit of exposure to good music to actually understand it. Even stuff like an acoustic guitar song can be way more complex than something on radio disney. It all depends on if the kid has heard stuff like it before. If they have, they're more likely to understand it and be at ease with it. Sadly, most music kids hear is the stuff spat out by pop labels.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 30th, 2008 at 12:30pm
^ I completely agree

Miguel, I am most patiently waiting for your response. I sure hope you have the decency that I have always shown you to respond
Eight Bitter Years.
Killjoy
Eight Bitter Years.
July 30th, 2008 at 01:38pm
i think music is really important to people. it is reallyimportant to me. it has more meaning that anything, i think. i do agree on the saving peoples lives part. If the music has enough meaning then it can help people get through hard times or depression.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 30th, 2008 at 04:34pm
KingRex:
I sure hope you have the decency that I have always shown you to respond

That sounds a little antagonistic. Do not make this discussion personal, since it bothers you that he has done that very thing. If he is mulling it over, fine. If he is too busy to respond, fine. if he is embarrassed, fine. I suggest waiting it out quietly while engaging with other members.