Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 01:01pm
sinking feeling:
i used to be a little teenie who wore abercrombie mini skirts and tank tops. now i go to really cool shows

What would be 'uncool' shows?
There's nothing wrong with miniskirts and tank tops. I wear both, and I'm not a 'little teenie'. It's stereotypes like that that really aggravate me.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 6th, 2008 at 06:39pm
sinking feeling:
music has impacted me sooo much! its really made me the person that i am today. i used to be a little teenie who wore abercrombie mini skirts and tank tops. now i go to really cool shows.

Wow, congratulations! Way to stick it to the man. Only uncool people would dare to wear mini skirts. You're so awesome dude. So cool.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 7th, 2008 at 01:16am
sinking feeling:
i used to be a little teenie who wore abercrombie mini skirts and tank tops. now i go to really cool shows (I'm going to metro station on sunday!) and meet awesome people (who also impact me)...music inspires me and really keeps me going...i know that it has the same effect on the majority of my friends too.

Way to pigeon-hole people who shop at A+F.
The undertone of your post seems really arrogant to me. As if to say that you're somehow better than people who shop at a certain store.

Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
August 8th, 2008 at 03:47pm
sinking feeling:
music has impacted me sooo much! its really made me the person that i am today. i used to be a little teenie who wore abercrombie mini skirts and tank tops. now i go to really cool shows (I'm going to metro station on sunday!) and meet awesome people (who also impact me)...music inspires me and really keeps me going...i know that it has the same effect on the majority of my friends too.

I used to have A+F sweaters and t shirts, they were real comfy ? whats the whole deal with hating on A+F?

mcrallie
Killjoy
mcrallie
August 9th, 2008 at 12:44am
Music can have a HUGE impact on people. I know it's had a huge impact on me. It's a huge part of my life and it helps me a lot.
And people aren't just saying "MCR saved my life," for the hell of it. MCR really does save lives. Some people say MCR's music helps them feel like they're not alone, like someone else knows how they feel and understands what they've been through. I know that's how I feel.
And knowing that someone understands you, being able to get rid of that feeling of loneliness and isolation, can save someone's life.
MCR didn't save my life, but they sure changed it. I've been depressed before and MCR has helped me. Also, they've helped me improve who I am and have they've convinced me that one day I can follow my dreams, and become a better person than I am today.

Bottom line is music can have a huge impact on people, and MCR saves lives. I hope my rambing helped to answer your question Smile
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
August 10th, 2008 at 01:34am
in relation to my chem,i think when people say mcr saved thier lifes they mean it.

personally,the lyrics in the songs explain a lot of things ive been through and felt. its much easier to hear it from someone elses mouth and have it set out for you than it is to do it on your own.
It gives me greater understanding in my own feelings and life,the music calms me and in general one of the things keeping me going is the anticipation for the next song release,album or even just a poster.
Its something to relate to,so i really do think music,not just mcr has a great impact on peoples lives.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
August 10th, 2008 at 05:46pm
sinking feeling:
music has impacted me sooo much! its really made me the person that i am today. i used to be a little teenie who wore abercrombie mini skirts and tank tops. now i go to really cool shows (I'm going to metro station on sunday!) and meet awesome people (who also impact me)...music inspires me and really keeps me going...i know that it has the same effect on the majority of my friends too.

Okay. i see where you are coming from.
I was like that too. BUT. You may want to rephrase what you said,
because Abercrombie is considered cool these days, and I know a whole bunch of people who wear A&F who bash my style of clothing. So, It isnt right to go back at them.

Now, I agree with your point that you say that music impacts your life and can keep you going, because for one of my friends, if music didnt exsist, i know he wouldnt
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 11th, 2008 at 05:14pm
[quote="heartbreak tragedy"]
sinking feeling:

Now, I agree with your point that you say that music impacts your life and can keep you going, because for one of my friends, if music didnt exsist, i know he wouldnt

How so? I simply don't agree that music is this magical cure for depression.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
August 11th, 2008 at 10:26pm
KingRex:

I believe Music can act as a subconsious cure for psycological problems, like a harmonic placebo effect. In the idea if some one listens to music and it helps fill a whole inside themselves . And they consiously think "Wow this really helps me feel better" Then subconsiously their body would actually feel better because of their beliefs. In all sense of literalness, the music caused a response in a person to come to believe they were saved. Physically the body did the work, but it would not be possible without music

Does such an explanation work for you?
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
August 11th, 2008 at 10:41pm
To Zanarkand:

How so? I simply don't agree that music is this magical cure for depression.

It CAN help depression. It mostly depends on the person.
Some people only live for music, thus the overused phrase "Music Is Life"
With Jesse, he is INSANELY depressed. To the point where he has attempted suicide, and selfharms himself. Music can be like a friend thats always there for you, because lyrics can be deeply moving enough to encourage you to keep going.

I know a lot of people have lost their faith in MCR or just dont believe the band can save a life. But when I discovered them, i was a mess. ready to die, even. they made me unafraid to keep on living. they made me feel i can conquer my depression. they made me feel like i wasnt alone.
there is another more personal story how mcr saved me. but im not going to get into that.
That is just proof that you cant say that music is a cure for depression, and that it cant save lives, because its different for each person
jfc113
Salute You in Your Grave
jfc113
August 11th, 2008 at 10:57pm
I'm gonna add to this discussion, I've lurked it for a while...

I do think that the phrase "OMG MCR TOTALLY SAVED MY LIFE!"
is very overused, and definitely has lost it's meaning for the most part.
I'm not saying it can't happen because to be honest, I'm not in a person's head and have no right to tell them they're lying to sound "cool".
Yeah, they may not have physically taken the gun from your head,
or the blade from your wrist, but music can make you realize things
you didn't know about the world or yourself before.
It can make you think in a different way. Hopefully a more positive way.

My Chemical Romance did not save my life. If I were to say anything close to that, I'd say music in general saved my life.
No, not just bands but actually playing music, creating something of your own.

The feeling you get when you're strumming that guitar, or playing that
piano, or ever bowing a violin is the most amazing feeling ever. (or at least to me, it is.)
This is going to sound all corny, but it's true:
All your problems disappear, and you feel...untouchable.
Nothing can touch you, no-one can hurt you. Everything is just all about playing the music,
and listening to something you're actually making yourself.
It's amazing. It keeps me from going insane.

Music has helped me in a way no-one or nothing could have ever.
If I'm upset I just let it all come out of my guitar. Same if I'm happy/angry/whatever.

I understand that you guys probably aren't gonna believe me, or attack me for saying so, but I just felt I had to let that out.
No scientific explanation or anything will stop me from believing this, so please don't waste your time on me.

-dodges rotten vegetables-
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 12th, 2008 at 12:52am
showbiz.:
I
The feeling you get when you're strumming that guitar, or playing that
piano, or ever bowing a violin is the most amazing feeling ever. (or at least to me, it is.)
This is going to sound all corny, but it's true:
All your problems disappear, and you feel...untouchable.
Nothing can touch you, no-one can hurt you. Everything is just all about playing the music,
and listening to something you're actually making yourself.
It's amazing. It keeps me from going insane.

Music has helped me in a way no-one or nothing could have ever.
If I'm upset I just let it all come out of my guitar. Same if I'm happy/angry/whatever.

I think it's different when you're actually playing and creating music, rather than just listening to something. The same thing goes for anything a person may create, whether it be music, art, poetry, anything.
I also think that while yes music makes you feel better and can be a tool for you, you have to actively make the decision to live or whatever. You have to do that, no one else can do it for you, certainly not a band.
PleaseSuckMyBlood
Fabulous Killjoy
PleaseSuckMyBlood
August 12th, 2008 at 09:47am
Music has saved my live a number of times..when i was suicidal, a few years ago, I turned to the music and it was like cheap therapy..while listening, I thought of my situation and gathered all my thought..and the thing is, after that experience, I've never been suicidal againSmile Music can affect you a little bit, or, if you are ready to take it all to your heart, it can save your life!
jfc113
Salute You in Your Grave
jfc113
August 12th, 2008 at 02:12pm
Eponine:

I think it's different when you're actually playing and creating music, rather than just listening to something. The same thing goes for anything a person may create, whether it be music, art, poetry, anything.
I also think that while yes music makes you feel better and can be a tool for you, you have to actively make the decision to live or whatever. You have to do that, no one else can do it for you, certainly not a band.

I get what your saying, and agree a little.
It's you that says "Okay. I'll keep going, and things will get better."
If that band, that composer, or that artist wasn't there to help you realize what you were doing was wrong, to knock some sense into you,
you would have kept on doing whatever you were or went through with killing yourself.
That is what I consider a "band saving your life".
Technically, it was you who saved yourself, but the artist helped a lot.

Like I said, a band didn't save my life. I'm just trying to look at it from the point of view of all the people that say that -insert band here- saved them.

sci-fi-noise
Jazz Hands
sci-fi-noise
August 22nd, 2008 at 01:41am
For me music didn't safe my life or magically cure my depression but it does temporarily get my mind of things and make me feel good. The lyrics aren't what make me feel better it's getting lost in the music itself. I have some trouble understanding how listening to music can actually stop someone from killing themselves. I mean i understand how it can be therapeutic but i thought usually when someone actually commits suicide it's not premeditated there's a difference between being suicidal and actually following through with it i guess it might make you change your mind about doing it but it alone can't stop you from it. I could be wrong i don't know.....
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 22nd, 2008 at 10:19am
PleaseSuckMyBlood:
Music has saved my live a number of times..when i was suicidal,

If music is so influencial, Then why does everyone on here cause an uproar when its blamed for murders and suicides?

If its so infulencial then why is that so hard to believe? Now I don't think music causes people to commit suicides, nor do I think a band can save your life, but if you say a band saves your life then it can work two ways.
jfc113
Salute You in Your Grave
jfc113
August 22nd, 2008 at 01:20pm
To Zanarkand:
If music is so influencial, Then why does everyone on here cause an uproar when its blamed for murders and suicides?

If its so infulencial then why is that so hard to believe? Now I don't think music causes people to commit suicides, nor do I think a band can save your life, but if you say a band saves your life then it can work two ways.

That's a really good point there.
If a band can "save your life" why can't one make you want to kill yourself or someone else? It's okay to go around saying "MCR saved my life.", but people get pissed of when a band is blamed for suicide...

I agree with you. It's you in the end who makes the decision. Not the band.

And they can definitely make you act differently and dress differently.
I think it's kind of erm...strange that so many people on here were depressed and suicidal at one point, then My Chem magically "saved" them.

I really don't mean to offend to anyone. Just my opinion...

Charlie Chaplin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Charlie Chaplin
August 22nd, 2008 at 05:37pm
The college major "musical therapy" exists for a reason. Obviously, music has a dramatic impact on people. And I completely agree with the post above me.
werard gay.
Crash Queen
werard gay.
August 23rd, 2008 at 04:14am
music has a great impact in my life.
Though it almost ruined my life when I was in my sophomore year in high school.
But it helped me go back to my old self and made me a better person...
plus, the fact that My Chemical Romance was included with it.
Whenever I'm sad or depress, I just listened to music and everything will be alright.
It's really my anti-depressants, my medicine
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 23rd, 2008 at 11:02am
Charlie Chaplin:
The college major "musical therapy" exists for a reason. Obviously, music has a dramatic impact on people. And I completely agree with the post above me.

I may be wrong, but if one does have musical therapy, isn't it included along with regular therapy?