Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
tiny-t
Killjoy
tiny-t
July 22nd, 2008 at 08:36am
MCR didn't save my life but when i feel like s*** i play their CDs and i feel a lot better. but i can listen to fall out boy blink 182 ect. when i feel bad and it makes me feel better, if you ask me music in genral has a big impact on me.
Toybox Trash
Killjoy
Toybox Trash
July 22nd, 2008 at 03:10pm
I don't think music saves anyone's life. I think it helps them feel better and know they're not alone. Music has deffinatly always had a very big impact on my life.
ReViViFiEd
Killjoy
ReViViFiEd
July 24th, 2008 at 04:56am
I agree ... sorta. My view on this whole "music saved my life" thing is this:

Think about it, if music, or any other lyrical document, wasn't around then what would take its place. To me it's the only thing that can chronically tell you what you need and/or want to hear every single time you want to hear whatever it is that you want and/or need to hear. When dealing with an emotional breakdown we don't want to be opposed about what we feel. We want to be understood in the since that whatever it is saving me can't judge my condition, unless it is some form of constructive criticism. Even then, the constructive criticism is still going to be what we want to hear.

Music is a substance to me being that it exists. I use music, preferably Z-RO, to ease my pain, calm my nerves and clear my mind. Just like an antibiotic can save your life or wearing protective gear can save your life, music can and does too. Everyone disputes that it is you that saved your own life. Well, yea if you popped in that CD, tape or cranked up your system, then you ignited the music therefore saving your own life. But if there was nothing to pop in that would chronically tell you what you want to hear then what are you going to do.

All I'm saying is, if you are willing to say that medicine or any other substance can save your life then music does too. If you oppose that then I guess we are saved by no-one other than ourselves rather it be music, people or any other substance used to "save lives" ...
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 24th, 2008 at 05:58am
ReViViFiEd:
To me it's the only thing that can chronically tell you what you need and/or want to hear every single time you want to hear whatever it is that you want and/or need to hear.

I'm confused about your use of the word 'chronically'. I know what the word means of course, but the use of it in this context is lost on me...
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2008 at 10:39am
ReViViFiEd:
Just like an antibiotic can save your life or wearing protective gear can save your life, music can and does too.

It is not just like an antibiotic or protective gear. If you had TB listening to music wouldn't kill the bacteria, antibiotics would. The same with your other example of protective gear. Music doesn't actively save your life, it can make you feel better, but if your depressed or something music is not a cure.

I'm also confused by your use of the word 'chronically'.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 24th, 2008 at 01:02pm
I agree. Muisc can save lives.
If you are depressed and there is nothing to turn to some people turn to music.
Like say that you are suicidal and are willing to kill yourself. Before you go through with it you decide to listen to music. It makes you feel better and the lyrics are giving you a positive outlook on life. It's changing the way you think and the deadly decisions you almost made.
It's inspired you to go on and live your life. You believe it's giving you a purpose.
Anything positive on life can help you recover from something if it be prayer, music, sports, love, friends, etc.
When they say that music is like an antibiotic or like protective gear than they are using a simile. Of course literally music can't do that, but it can make you feel better like an antibiotic, or save you like protective gear would.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 24th, 2008 at 01:04pm

^^ yeah but its not acctually Saving your life.

Its just making you see life froma different perspective.

I think music can be a stepping stone in the process of recovering from depression, but it doesnt acctually save anyoens lives.

Like I dont think ayones gunna listen to a song and then instantly feel happy all the time.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 24th, 2008 at 01:14pm
No, but it's actually saving your life from putting the weapon down and stopping form going through with your idea.
It actually saved your life....
if you didn't listen to it than you wouldn't be alive.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 24th, 2008 at 01:19pm

Not really.

It deosnt cure your depression.

It just aids the recovery process.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2008 at 01:35pm
^Exactly.

DAVEY HAVOK.:
When they say that music is like an antibiotic or like protective gear than they are using a simile.

Yes I know what a simile is, but comparing music with those two things is not a good simile. Compare music to a piece of pie, they both satisfy one of your senses but neither of them is going to cure cancer.

Of course literally music can't do that, but it can make you feel better like an antibiotic

Only it can't. If your dying because micro-bacteria are attacking your body, must can't save you, antibiotics can.

or save you like protective gear would.

But it's not saving you like protective gear might. Protective gear is a physical, tangible thing that can save your life. If you get in a car accident, music won't save your life, but a seatbelt or airbag might.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2008 at 01:35pm
dp
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 24th, 2008 at 01:58pm
Your taking it too literal. You have to go deeper into the meaning.
Yes, music won't be the cure for cancer or save you in a car crash, but it will build your way up to recovery. With each passing song and lyric spoken you can start getting better.
It depends on the person. Some people may never get better with music and some might.
But music can save your life. It's happened to me and has brought me closer and away from other things. It helps you and therefore, it can save you.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2008 at 02:04pm
DAVEY HAVOK.:
Your taking it too literal. You have to go deeper into the meaning.
Yes, music won't be the cure for cancer or save you in a car crash, but it will build your way up to recovery. With each passing song and lyric spoken you can start getting better.
It depends on the person. Some people may never get better with music and some might.
But music can save your life. It's happened to me and has brought me closer and away from other things. It helps you and therefore, it can save you.

I don't think music was the only thing that 'saved' your life, you probably had support from other sources. I'm not saying that music can't make you feel better, but if your depressed or something, if the only thing you have is music I don't think it can save your life. And if you are depressed you shouldn't wait for music to 'save' your life, you should get help.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 24th, 2008 at 04:08pm
Well, I didn't have any other source.
Everybody deals with depression or other issues in their own way, and some find comfort in music as I did.
It did save my life and it has saved many others. I'm not waiting for music to save my life because it already has.
My Chem always have fans that are always giving credit to them for saving their lives. And I believe My Chem has, I mean they did to me.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2008 at 07:53pm
DAVEY HAVOK.:
Everybody deals with depression or other issues in their own way, and some find comfort in music as I did.
It did save my life and it has saved many others. I'm not waiting for music to save my life because it already has.
My Chem always have fans that are always giving credit to them for saving their lives. And I believe My Chem has, I mean they did to me.

If you had a chemical imbalance in your brain (which is what causes depression) it would still being going on. I'm not saying music can't help, but it didn't cure you. I also don't believe that you didn't have anything else to support you, but that's just an issue I have with anyone who claims they are so depressed and MCR saved their life, I just don't buy it. If listening to them makes you feel better, good, great for you, but if you have depression, they haven't cured it and you should probably see a professional. Music can be a way of coping, but it's not a permanent, or absolute solution.
Toybox Trash
Killjoy
Toybox Trash
July 24th, 2008 at 07:58pm
Eponine:
DAVEY HAVOK.:

If you had a chemical imbalance in your brain (which is what causes depression) it would still being going on. I'm not saying music can't help, but it didn't cure you. I also don't believe that you didn't have anything else to support you, but that's just an issue I have with anyone who claims they are so depressed and MCR saved their life, I just don't buy it. If listening to them makes you feel better, good, great for you, but if you have depression, they haven't cured it and you should probably see a professional. Music can be a way of coping, but it's not a permanent, or absolute solution.

Music can't save your life. It can help by making you feel better when you're upset but technically, it can't jump out and take a razorblade from your wrist.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 24th, 2008 at 09:25pm
Eponine:
DAVEY HAVOK.:

How are you sure i didn't cure me? Are you a professional doctor? Do you specialize in medicine? Until you have a certificate saying you are certified in medicine you may never know if music can save lives.
You know some fans really believed MCR saved their lives and maybe they did maybe or maybe they didn't you don't know everyone's story therefore you can't criticize anyone on that factor.
It's my life and I'll take action for a physician or not. Right now I feel better and I'm not depressed thanks to music. I believe it helped me and if you believe that or not, I don't care.
Music isn't an absolute solution, I agree, but I believe it helps the mind and body get better. Maybe not right away, but in time.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 25th, 2008 at 12:24am
DAVEY HAVOK.:

How are you sure i didn't cure me? Are you a professional doctor? Do you specialize in medicine? Until you have a certificate saying you are certified in medicine you may never know if music can save lives.
You know some fans really believed MCR saved their lives and maybe they did maybe or maybe they didn't you don't know everyone's story therefore you can't criticize anyone on that factor.
It's my life and I'll take action for a physician or not. Right now I feel better and I'm not depressed thanks to music. I believe it helped me and if you believe that or not, I don't care.
Music isn't an absolute solution, I agree, but I believe it helps the mind and body get better. Maybe not right away, but in time.

I didn't say I was sure, and I never said I was a health professional either. I wasn't criticizing you either, I just don't believe it. If you feel better that's great, good for you, I'm not trying to attack you. Although I think it would be wise to see a professional, if you're really depressed chances are it will come back.
Music doesn't help the body get better, the mind, that's debatable, but since no music can cure diseases it can't help the body get better.
You may listen to music, feel better, and then decide to take a positive action, but it's not the music doing that it's you. The 'choice' to not be depressed, or to live, or whatever is one you make.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 25th, 2008 at 12:35am
We're also just both going in circles and restating our opinions, and it seems to be getting pretty nasty. Sorry if I said anything mean or hurtful, that was not my intent.
Let's just agree to disagree.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 25th, 2008 at 02:12am
Eponine:
We're also just both going in circles and restating our opinions, and it seems to be getting pretty nasty. Sorry if I said anything mean or hurtful, that was not my intent.
Let's just agree to disagree.
I'm sorry too.
I think both are really good one it comes to backing up our opinions.
I mean I can see everything your saying and as long as you can partially see my side than I'm fine.
My intent also was not to throw hurtful things back and forth to you.
As funny as it may sound, I agree to disagree.