Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
September 3rd, 2008 at 09:32pm
[quote="Deb"]Wanting to weigh in on the "MCR saves lives" discussion:

I think when people say that, they mean that the band inspired them to take their lives back. At least, that's what I mean when I say it. The band says it as well - that the band saved their lives by giving them purpose; a reason to go on.

[quote]

Thats how I have always seen it. I have never been able to say MCR saved my lifed, but they did help me get my life back. The helped me find something in myself that gave me a different viewpoint on life.

No they did not stop a bullet, give me anti depressants, push me out of the way of a car,ect. But if something feels just as if they did, should it matter how it's worded? I don't think so.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
September 3rd, 2008 at 09:49pm
[quote="Yes;Indeed;True"]
Deb:

Thats how I have always seen it. I have never been able to say MCR saved my lifed, but they did help me get my life back. The helped me find something in myself that gave me a different viewpoint on life.

No they did not stop a bullet, give me anti depressants, push me out of the way of a car,ect. But if something feels just as if they did, should it matter how it's worded? I don't think so.

You bring in a good point there. Like I have said time and time again.
It can be overused and it has really lost its meaning, but for some kids [like me] its true. Why cant we say "MCR SAVED MY LIFE" without getting shit for it.

Of course Bob didnt stop a bullet. Frank didnt come and take a razorblade. Gerard didnt jump out of the speakers and stop someone from hanging a noose. Mikey didnt come and take away pills. And Ray didnt stop a car from coming at you on the road. [i know i just repeated what you said. sorry]. But you dont expect kids to say "MCR saved my life because they encouraged me to keep going and that suicide is stupid." Because, i dont know about you, I wouldnt want the entire school to know why MCR saved my life or that I was suicidal. I would just want people to know MCR means more than the world to me
XmychildishromanceX
Killjoy
XmychildishromanceX
September 4th, 2008 at 02:50am
i totally agree with you Raito Yagami (and pretty much almost everyone here who has said nearly the same thing). and i think i speak for MCR fans all over than when we say "MCR saved my life." we aren't seeking attention, or tryign to get shit from anyone. I totally mean it when i say that, and like i understand that obviously they cant stop a car, bullet, or you know what you said.

but when i say My Chemical Romance saved my life, i mean it in a way that they pretty much taught me that i have a life worth living for, and they really encouraged me not to do suicide. it was just recently i seriously considered doing it again, but after listenign to my first MCR song, Famous Last Words, it really helped me and encouraged me that doing suicide definatly wouldn't solve my problems.

so all in all i can say that music can save your life in a more encouraging way rather in a more literal way. like, they can encourage you not to hurt yourself, which i think is enough to say that they saved your life.
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 4th, 2008 at 01:43pm
On my life, music has had a lot of impact. In fact, it saved me life. I was 10 years old, and almost killed myself.. I'm 13 now, and still a little depressed, but not as muchas before. Anyways, I was going to jump off a bridge, but before i left my house, I heard the songs Kill All Your Friends, and also My Way Home Is Through you. Those songs fit my life so well. I looked upt he band, heard some more songs, and every song had some meaning to it. It wasn't like Fall Out Boy or Boys Like Girls where every single song is the same. It wasn't like Plain White Ts where every song is about Tom getting dumbed or his girlfriend cheating on him. The music of MCR had MEANING to it. Now, 3 years later, I'm still alive, and not as depressed.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
September 4th, 2008 at 02:23pm
My Two Cents;
The statement "MCR saved my life" I think is a horrible exaggeration of someone's appreciation of music, music can influence your decision to kill yourself or not. But it certainly cannot save your life. You make the decision ultimately when you have that noose tied or whatever mean you're using to end your life. I've actually had a band member of a band save my life personally,
I sent him a message the day before I tried to commit suicide then the day I did, I overdosed on an antibiotic that creates an irregular heartbeat, leaving me open to cardiac arrest possibly killing me. If my heartbeat slowed I might die in my sleep, I was about to give up because I felt so alone until I read that message he replied to and he signed it "Your Friend." It made me cry because at that moment I felt I wasn't alone. He saved my life.

So this is an issue thats close to my heart, that statement is thrown about so much that the meanings completely lost from it in most cases. I think it shouldn't be used so damn freely, when you say someone saved your life, hell, in real life you'd say that to the person who rescued you from drowning Neutral
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
September 4th, 2008 at 04:04pm
Okay, as everyone is talking about the "MCR saved my life" statement, I would like to say this:

I think it's lost its meaning. I think it means that the band has actually inspired someone to stay alive, to carry on because they know and feel like they can and they also understand the message the band try to convey. I've heard so many people say it now it's just like...it's become a fashion to say it. I personally don't think it should be something said for fashion or whatever.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
September 4th, 2008 at 04:21pm
Vanya's Revenge:
Okay, as everyone is talking about the "MCR saved my life" statement, I would like to say this:

I think it's lost its meaning. I think it means that the band has actually inspired someone to stay alive, to carry on because they know and feel like they can and they also understand the message the band try to convey. I've heard so many people say it now it's just like...it's become a fashion to say it. I personally don't think it should be something said for fashion or whatever.

But what about the people who really mean it? I dont think the people who really mean it like being in a "fashion". For some people it really has a meaning.
jfc113
Salute You in Your Grave
jfc113
September 4th, 2008 at 06:58pm
I'm really not trying to give anyone trouble for saying they saved them.
Your opinion is that they save lives. That's totally okay. My opinion is that they don't.
...Along with any other band out there. Sure, music has had a huge impact on my life, and even encouraged me to pick up a guitar again after nearly a year.
Even though it's changed the way I think, and makes me think more deeply about what the song, poem, or story is trying to say, I wouldn't say it's saved me.
I don't want to shove my opinion down your throat, trust me, that's the last thing I want to do.

For some people who've said that their MCR "saved" them, you've also said that they "saved" you by knocking some sense into you.
Yes, they did that much but in the end it was you who understood that you shouldn't self-harm, kill yourself, or whatever.
Music may have been an important part of that, but it only helped you save yourself. (In my opinion, anyways.)

Music is very important to me, and no, I don't think it's just a form of art.
It's much, much more than that, but listening to it and actually making it are two very different things...

John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
September 6th, 2008 at 06:27am
I've had it said to me before by a few people on INO , that because I wasnt 'saved' by MCR I can't be a real fan, or that because I can go without music without dying inside that im not truly a lover of music, and the majority of people who say it on this board are new members and are usually about 12-13, and for some reason I just cant bring myself to believe that a 12 year old has suffered from depression and made a miraculous recovery just like that. It's like they feel they have to put it in there profile to be accepted.

Its taken my dad 5 years to recover from his nervous breakdown due to depression and he's still not completly over it, but hopefully it looks like he's coming out the other end of his ordeal. It has put major strain on our family and the effects will probably stay there for years. I refuse to believe that simply listening to MCR or whatever other band could cure someone in that situation.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
September 6th, 2008 at 07:22am

I think why people also like to use that term is because the band has shown their approval to it.
Off the top of mind I can think of Gerard and Frank saying it.
People have seen that and taken it as a kind of initiation into being a true fan.
Just like Frank wearing that shirt Homophobie is Gay.
That term is very overused too.

I think that fans follow the bands words as if they are law, even if they know that they don't agree.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
September 6th, 2008 at 09:05am
Well speaking from a music teacher's point of view, they believe that music does have a positive impact on a student's development. Some of these music educators have observed that musical involvement really does improves a student's self discipline, dexterity, coordination, self-esteem, thinking and listening skills.
Sorry if this was random, but it did relate to the topic
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
September 6th, 2008 at 09:05am
Sorry for the double post.
I did not click the refresh button Shocked
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 6th, 2008 at 09:26am
Diana_a7x:
Well speaking from a music teacher's point of view, they believe that music does have a positive impact on a student's development. Some of these music educators have observed that musical involvement really does improves a student's self discipline, dexterity, coordination, self-esteem, thinking and listening skills.
Sorry if this was random, but it did relate to the topic
There's a difference between having a positive impact and saving one's life. Music can have a positive impact of anyone, irrespective of their mental state. But that doesn't mean it will 'save' them.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
September 6th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Lovesick Melody.:

I think why people also like to use that term is because the band has shown their approval to it.
People have seen that and taken it as a kind of initiation into being a true fan.

I think that fans follow the bands words as if they are law, even if they know that they don't agree.

Now. I have been saying "MCR SAVED MY LIFE" before I heard anyone else say it,
And I had never watched Life On The Murder Scene until this year.
I had NO IDEA that Gerard and Frank said it until my friend told me about it.

[and I also have been saying Homophobia is Gay before I saw the picture of Frank wearing that shirt, but thats beside the point]

And yet, I have been saying it since I became a fan, I have said that, because to me it was true.

now, I dont agree with EVERYTHING that the band says, and if I dont agree, I just act as if that like, never happened. Am I not a "true fan" for not taking everything they say to law? I started being dedicated to them when the Black Parade came out. Am I not a true fan?

How about once, on AIM, I put the lyrics to Desert Song in my profile and the date I saw MCR. One girl I know decided to put in her profile

I am MCR's biggest fan, and I dont need to talk about them obnoxiously in my profile or talk about them 24/7"

I was very offended. Yeah. She can think she's MCR's biggest fan all she wants, i dont care. But For Christ on a bike's sake, Yeah, I talk about em a lot, but maybe MCR means more than the world to me? Is that a problem?

When I told my friend, S, about the Revenge shirts that went on sale, I also told her:

I know I havent been a fan as long as you or ~her~. but as you can ~obviously see that i am dedicated to them and they mean the world to me

You know what she said to me?

omgg yeahh.
i knoww yourr like the biggest fan in the world =]
seriouslyy likee no matter what people said you really are there fan and you really do like their music.

soo, you should wear an mcr shirt the first day of school.
do you have one ?

Do you know how special that made me feel? And No, Im not going around saying, "posers, I am MCR's biggest fan. Stop trying.." No. I dont, because I know that MCR doesnt have a biggest fan, but that the fans love em all the same. However, it seemed that everyone thought I was a fan because Gerard and MCR means more than the world to me. [Dont attack me, okay? Is it bad to say he's my hero?]. In fact. i got a comment once saying: i think
gerard is really uglyVery Happy
no offense.
but ive been meaning to tell you that.
(i also dont like their music)
(except for maybe that teenagers song.)haha.

Do you know how great i felt when S said "no matter what people said you really are there fan and you really do like their music., because I felt like someone knew that I am not a fangirl who has no respect for them.

In fact, when I listed all the merch I own [and trust me, its a lot, and I dont feel like listing it] I added "Im kinda pathetic."

S said youu areentt patheticc
yurr a veryy dedicatedd fann

Now, Im wondering, Is it a bad thing to be dedicated to a band? Ever hear of Sal? The guy who has been to over 40 Linkin Park shows, who has like, 17 LP tats? THATS MY COUSIN. Is it a bad thing to be dedicated to a band? Thats my real question.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
September 6th, 2008 at 04:44pm
Raito Yagami.:
Now. I have been saying "MCR SAVED MY LIFE" before I heard anyone else say it,
And I had never watched Life On The Murder Scene until this year.
I had NO IDEA that Gerard and Frank said it until my friend told me about it.
[and I also have been saying Homophobia is Gay before I saw the picture of Frank wearing that shirt, but thats beside the point]
And yet, I have been saying it since I became a fan, I have said that, because to me it was true.
now, I dont agree with EVERYTHING that the band says, and if I dont agree, I just act as if that like, never happened. Am I not a "true fan" for not taking everything they say to law? I started being dedicated to them when the Black Parade came out. Am I not a true fan?
How about once, on AIM, I put the lyrics to Desert Song in my profile and the date I saw MCR. One girl I know decided to put in her profile
I am MCR's biggest fan, and I dont need to talk about them obnoxiously in my profile or talk about them 24/7"
I was very offended. Yeah. She can think she's MCR's biggest fan all she wants, i dont care. But For Christ on a bike's sake, Yeah, I talk about em a lot, but maybe MCR means more than the world to me? Is that a problem?
When I told my friend, S, about the Revenge shirts that went on sale, I also told her:
I know I havent been a fan as long as you or ~her~. but as you can ~obviously see that i am dedicated to them and they mean the world to me
You know what she said to me?
omgg yeahh.
i knoww yourr like the biggest fan in the world =]
seriouslyy likee no matter what people said you really are there fan and you really do like their music.
soo, you should wear an mcr shirt the first day of school.
do you have one ?

Do you know how special that made me feel? And No, Im not going around saying, "posers, I am MCR's biggest fan. Stop trying.." No. I dont, because I know that MCR doesnt have a biggest fan, but that the fans love em all the same. However, it seemed that everyone thought I was a fan because Gerard and MCR means more than the world to me. [Dont attack me, okay? Is it bad to say he's my hero?]. In fact. i got a comment once saying: i think
gerard is really uglyVery Happy
no offense.
but ive been meaning to tell you that.
(i also dont like their music)
(except for maybe that teenagers song.)haha.

Do you know how great i felt when S said "no matter what people said you really are there fan and you really do like their music., because I felt like someone knew that I am not a fangirl who has no respect for them.
In fact, when I listed all the merch I own [and trust me, its a lot, and I dont feel like listing it] I added "Im kinda pathetic."
S said youu areentt patheticc
yurr a veryy dedicatedd fann

Now, Im wondering, Is it a bad thing to be dedicated to a band? Ever hear of Sal? The guy who has been to over 40 Linkin Park shows, who has like, 17 LP tats? THATS MY COUSIN. Is it a bad thing to be dedicated to a band? Thats my real question.

Wow, what exactly was the point to this post? It certainly didn't add to the discussion. Are you trying to prove how much of a diehard fan you are? Because no one cares in this thread, because that's not what this thread is about. We get it. You've made five men the center of your universe and you can't possibly fathom how ridiculous it is yet.

Next time, why don't you try contributing?
jfc113
Salute You in Your Grave
jfc113
September 6th, 2008 at 08:57pm
Lovesick Melody.:

I completely agree.
The thing is, a lot of the band's fans (on here, anyway) are young.
They'll either look up to them a lot, or even erm...worship them. They want to fit in.
They want to be the biggest fan, so they'll say that to sort of get more respect and whatnot from other fans.

Like someone before said, it's been said to me that the "real" fans were saved by them, which means I must be some sort of poser...
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
September 8th, 2008 at 10:22pm
*randomly jumps in*
I, as someone who has cut and attempted to kill herself before, can honestly say that music is a HUGE [at LEAST 95%] part of what keeps me sane. I don't attribute this to any one band, MCR or otherwise. But music like the songs they write and bands like Evanescence, Flyleaf, etc., write help me because I can relate. I can see and hear my pain echoed into the music the bands I adore have produced, and it helps me so, so much. I could give you thousands upon hundereds of pages listing particular examples, but that's not what this is for. Songs have come on the radio when I've been feeling depressed that have immediatly made me see clearly enough to stop what I'm doing and get a hold of someone who can distract me. One particallarly freaky instance, which was a little bit after I had attemped suicide, was when I wanted to kill myself again, I was looking through my room for something to use, when my CD player randomly started. The CD that was in it was One-X by Three Days Grace, the song that started playing was 'Never Too Late'. I hadn't programmed any alarms, anything. My CD player had actually been broken for about a week and I was going to have one of my more technologically-savvy friends come out and look at it to see if it was salvagable. I would go as far as to say that, yes, music has saved my life. And just because Never Too Late was the song that came on does not mean that I attribute my life to Three Days Grace, simply music. Speaking as a musician, music is the most important thing in my life. Composing notes, writing lyrics, just listening to music has kept me alive. I haven't even seen the interview in question, but My Chemical Romance has kept me from cutting many, many times with different songs.
There's my two cents worth. Make of it what you will.
[and, as a side-note, not to be offensive, and it's an increbily literate and well-thought-out post, but we arn't discussing our die-hard-fanmenship to My Chemical Romance in this thread. ;]
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
September 8th, 2008 at 10:25pm
Eep. Sorry. Double-post. Computer issues.
MCR!
Motor Baby
MCR!
September 19th, 2008 at 06:52pm
I think that music really can inspire people and help them in a lot of ways. I don't know exactly how much music can do but it is a lot. And I think that music definitely can have an effect on peoples lives. Like for me it made me realise things and it gave me hope and it kept me from doing a lot of stupid things, I think it's a lot of ways music can mean ( Don't know how to explain it.. ) things to people. The lyrics and the thought behind/ or the song meaning or a song or the whole band. How much of an inpact it has , I think depends. In which way.. But still i think that for some people music is just music they don't really think what the songs are about.. just like it. I don't cause i think sometimes the lyrics is whats good in a song.

I don't know if what I wrote even made any sense, But I tried to explain what I think about this haha.
Katie Kill!
Killjoy
Katie Kill!
September 21st, 2008 at 12:01pm
I think that how much music effects a person just comes down to what type of person they are. For example if someone is thinking of self harming or commiting suicide and they listen to My Chem or whoever, and they can relate to the music and it makes them see that theres something worth living for, then I believe that music can save a persons life. Music for me had a huge impact after listening to certain bands I started to realise that it's okay for me to speak my mind and not change who I am just to keep other people happy. But I guess it means different things to different people and also depending on what type of music they like.